WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Drkatiebug - beautiful picture of you and your family. You look great. Thanks for sharing.

Heather, did your cake taste as good as it looked?

Janetr okc
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Kay ~ Great family picture! Your grands look to be about the same age as mine!

Becca ~ You have a blessing in your DH and I am sure you are one to him. Last night I told my DH that I loved him dearly (which I do), but, I don't like him. We met his brother and wife at a favorite restaurant and had to drive through mid-town Atlanta to get there. He complained the whole way there and back about the traffic and how much he hated the city. Kind of ruined the night out. I have gotten where I hate to drive anywhere with him.

Enough ranting for now!

Carol
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    well another day and its 1/2 over..
    Honest to Goodness .. I am going to ask Tom if there is anything he likes about me anymore.. cause all he does is nit pick and bi#ch, he also treat me like I am stupid and says I never listen..
    He Is going down to Florida on the 28th and will be home on the 5th, now I was supposed to watch Faith on 4th,5th and they would be coming home the 6th. well I can't help them this time unless it is overnight saterday.. as Tom will not be here and I have to be here for the dogs...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    (((Alison))). You deserve to be treated with respect!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Well over calories this evening, but not in the gaining zone, thank goodness. I normally set my calories to losing 1 lb a week, so there is a little leeway when I have a hard day. ;) I am maintaining, but find I have to keep calories in the losing zone 80% of the time. Must be my age. 67.
    Normally it's not a problem, but today was carb overload.
    I will post photos when I have downloaded them onto my laptop. I forgot my phone, so had to rely on the camera.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I've been crazy busy helping a girl edit her PhD thesis. It is supposed to be sent to the printer tomorrow and she's still working on it! I've also edited several articles about this and that, and handled course work from 21 students in the past week. Haven't even lurked here and read! But I'll be back soon (I hope).

Meanwhile, it continues to rain copiously in Longyearbyen, even though we should have had snow for a month already. The ground is so waterlogged and the permafrost is weakening so much that we had several rockslides yesterday, one of them right in town. (Heather, it was just north of the old cemetery, if you can see that in your mind's eye.) Rocks and mud came down all the way from the top of the mountain and swept across the road at the bottom of the valley. Fortunately nobody was there at the time, and there weren't any houses in the way.

This, ladies, is climate change in action. Where's my Arctic paradise going? It makes me so sad. :cry:

/Penny, feeling depressed at the North Pole
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Penny - :'(<3

Katla - So glad just being with the horses gives you joy. That is the secret of happiness, I feel, - not to ask for anything, but just to enter into the moment . "Being in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing."
    That is how I feel in front of a great work of art, or a great landscape, or a great piece of architecture. Or with the grandchildren. I felt it on holiday at the Alhambra, or the Mezquita. And I felt it contemplating Penny's Svalbard. The secret of just being there.

Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Jog - 30.52min 9.57ap 5-7-8.0sp 5k = 329c
    Other- stretch - 8nin = 39c
    368c
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morn,tho no telling what time it will be sent.Had a touch if "whatever" that lasted a wk for me,then 3 days for DH.

Renewed my drivers license a few days before & every clerk in there was coughing & blowing nose.....so who knows.We'd had flu shots & no problem with that. I DO wish sick ppl would stay home.....but not for me to say.
    Have enjoyed the pics .....the cake is fabulous!..can just see the children's eyes when the saw it,all ooohs & ahhhs.

About the storm that marched up the coast....we have had friends & family living in most Fl areas.GrD is near Ft Lauderdale,her bro in Titusville. DD lived for yrs on Merritt Island,......& always scary when your family is there!

The odd thing is,SIL retired & they moved to NC just 3 mos ago. They live way North,in fact she works in Va & no flooding in their area.
    Barb,glad you are doing well in recovery. Before long,it will be like a dream.We are home bodies & can look back to see things that prepared me for that mode of living. Of course,never was a go go type....so guess I am right where I need to be.

Heather,maybe your ex already feels like a Grfather? Not easy to be raising kids at that age.

Lisa,good luck with the sale & making plans. Love making plans.....

We lived in the country for many years. Our last move was to the city where DD lives,in a suburb,but only 6 miles from city center & the same from our family. I was born & raised in town,so this move was fine for me. DH was a country boy,so took him longer to adjust,but he's never met a stranger.....& got used to it. We are 6 blocks from several large groceries , restaurants,hospital & Drs.Another huge shopping & restaurants.just 3 miles away....more than we can keep up with.

Last wk DH was saying we are done buying/needing anything.Three days later I returned a sweeper for a new/ better one.Thanks to my box of receipts!

Will tell you next time about my latest project of getting rid of stuff.....a chore for sure.

Leaving in a couple days for our Fall Fix........DD & SIL are going too & NC DD & SIL will meet us for 5 days in the Great Smoky mtns,our fav place.Have 2 cabins rented,side by side.I feel so at home there.
  • margaretturk
    Options
    (((Penny)))
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: We weathered the weather very well. Thank you for asking! :smiley: I also like living in a small town that is near enough to a big city. :heart:

Dr. Katie: I love the photos. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I agree with your thoughts about just being--at the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing. Entering into the moment is a skill I've been developing over the past few years. I was trapped in the land of "should" and "duty" for a long time. They're still a part of life, but they no longer rule over everything else. :noway:

Patsy: Enjoy your fall fix. It sounds wonderful. :bigsmile:

Penny: I worry about climate change, too. :noway:

I had a lovely time lunging the horse today and came home to fix my Halloween ghost. DH cut wooden stakes for me and I pounded them into the ground and tethered them to the poles that hold the ghost up. I hope the tethers work to keep the poles stable & there will be no more falls for Ghosty.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)Dr.Katie, fabulous photo of you and the grands

:) Heather, I so rarely eat a carb filled meal that it feels strange to me...while I was in the hospital, Jake brought me scones, a grilled cheese sandwich, and onion rings....so different from my usual food

<3Penny, all that rain instead of snow would be scary for me....glad you got a lot of work to do...we missed you

:)Patceoh, I look forward to hearing about your project of getting rid of things....that's something we have been working on.

:)Rori, great photos

sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gifMy after breakfast nap made it possible for me to be awake after lunch for two phone calls and a visit from a friend whose computer is broken and needed to finish an important project. The storm has taken a break so Jake went out and used the leaf blower to clear off the sidewalks along with our driveway and the driveways of the neighbors on both sides (one neighbor is out of town and the other is in her 90's).

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

<3 Barbie
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    island-smiley-emoticon.gif Just my luck! LOL
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    In Sept when I was traveling to Estes Park they ran out of omelettes on the plane so they brought the alternative breakfast. Biscuit, a hard roll, fresh fruit cup, fruit compote, syrup, french toast, jam, butter. Is there even one gram of protein in there? I'm a low carb kind of gal, usually, so...yuck! I was a little bit amused...but not terribly so...

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Dr. Katie you look great.

Rori love the photos. WOW!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    just got home from the apple store.... loooonnnnnggggg day! but i did get a mgr to get me a replacement phone
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca – OK; Yes; Most of the time; Sure; Yes; Yes; and Not so much! But, tracking, even on days that I end up ‘using my CO’ to eat them back. Don’t normally do that.
    Monday, I’ve got to clean out my freezer, so I can dump it all in the trash on Tuesday. Damn, I have wasted a lot of food (not thinking about it).
    Enjoyed ‘date night’; but, went way of my CI; but, I’ve been pretty good, if I count back my CO.

Kay – Sweet picture.

Carol – I don’t drive when DH is with me. I’d rather sleep if we are going to Macon or Louisiana; and, short trips he makes me nervous ‘telling me HOW to drive’.

Penny – I typed term papers and papers for my boss’s wife when she was working on her Master’s. I would have rather put up with his son’s red arrows to move things; than to deal with her ‘cut and paste’. It looks like a child’s attempt at a snowflake or two. He finally told her to stop the cutting and pasting. It took far more work doing hers than his. But, the ‘extra’ pay was well worth it.

Heather – I enjoy ‘feeling’ things and seeing things within other things. My imagination can run wild at times. About as much fun as when I would lay on the ground with my sons and pick out shapes in the clouds.

patceoh – Sorry you and you DH have been ‘under the weather’. I hate it when my DH gets sick; because when he lays in the bed, he feels like he is dying.

We had been in Daytona Beach the week before Matthew hit; it was a bit on the windy side; but, nothing like it ended up being. I thought that DMS and her friend would surely run into rain and wind on their way back to Miami; but, they didn’t.

I go into town on Tuesday for weigh-in, so I plan on stopping at K-Mart to get my flu vaccine; and maybe see if they will also let me take my pneumonia shot at the same time.

Rori – Someday I would ‘like’ to go to Hawaii; but, I will probably only get there via DYS and DDnL#2’s honeymoon pictures.

DOGD has interviewed for an internship; hoping she will get it. Sounds like, if she gets it, she will possibly have something that will or could turn into something permanent. She wants to work on her Master's; but, at the moment she is tired of school, she'd like to take a break. I can't say that I blame her since she has gone year round since she went there. She'll be a full Senior in December; her BF will graduate this December; but, he is planning on staying there because he still has to work on getting a few hours in. He has a full-time job, and I guess they will decide where to go since he really wants to be a 'certified' PT. She said that he will try to get on at a PT office and work there for the experience. He'd like to go to the University of TN; but, the 'out-of-state' tuition would kill him; so, he will probably apply at the Augusta Medical College or at a smaller college that offers the PT classes; and, maybe transfer late on.

DnL#1 still has not spoken to either of us. DH says that when he goes down there to pick up DOS, she won't even look at him when she goes to get in her car; but, he says that he 'busies' himself to keep from having her just ignore him completely. DOS has not said, word one about her cussing us out and then 'storming out the door'. Hasn't been back either.

She is coming home this next weekend. I can't wait to see her.

Cracker is asleep; but, hasn't turned over to sleep deeply.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Liz, I am watching Noah right now. Somehow I do not remember big rock monsters called ;the watchers' in the Bible. I am finding some of the movie Biblical based and a lot of other stuff pure fiction. Of course I have 90 minutes left. I have no idea how long the movie really is but they have to get those commercials in.

I don't know where I have been or what I have been doing but I was not aware of a big storm system on the Pacific northwest. You ladies be careful. Keep us updated as to your status.

I set 3 alarms in order to get to church this morning and it worked! We went to Charlie's 50th high school reunion last night and the chairs were awful so I went home in a lot of pain and pain makes me really tired. So I did not do to Sunday school. The choir sang a song that I had practised and it was easy enough I could have sung but the long trek up the stairs from the choir practice room would have been hard so I sat in the congregation. It was a simple song out of an old hymnal but the director arranges it so it 'dresses' it up a bit. When the choir, only 14 members, went into full harmony it was like a little piece of Heaven opened up. Was so wonderful. Can't wait to get to choir practice Wednesday night!

Charlie was hesitant to go to the reunion last night especially since he has been having a little tiff with his best friend, the one who he has known since a baby. Also it was a karaoke night! Oh my, he might have to miss karaoke! The sky is falling. But the DJ they had hired had a good sound system and Charlie went up and asked if he could sing. He got a good response and the dj saw he had some one who could really sing and provide just as good entertainment as his music which was present rock music, not from the 60's, so Charlie sang 4 of his favorite songs from the 60s. At the very end the actual graduates got in a circle and sang their school song. I have no idea if we had a school song! I am sure we did. I remember only our colors. But besides the awful chairs, we had a good time. I knew a couple of people there that had worked at the hospital so I wasn't there by myself. It was listed as casual dress so I wore a nice pair of jeans and a nice sweater set. Others version of casual was way dressier than mine but his best friends wife was dressed like me so I felt better. It was a buffet but one that they took up real quick. So even though you could fill your plate up while you are going through the line, there was no going back. It did start out with fruit and vegiie buffet.

Pip, glad they straightened out your phone.

Joyce, Indiana where it has been sunny and 84 today
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    A quick goodnight after a very long "sisters day" in Philadelphia. I will share a great pic of us (minus one) tomorrow.
    NYKAREN