WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,273 Member
    Options
    Kim - The Spanish Chicken is my favourite. We have it at least once a fortnight. The other things I have made are the Paella (adapted to what I have available) and the Lamb Tagine (I use much less honey). In the Spanish Chicken I use boneless, skinless, chicken thighs and a red pepper, not a green one, as I prefer it. The other thing I do is use their white sauce idea for lasagne or cauliflower cheese etc. (Cornflour) Instead of the leeks for their lasagne I use zucchini strips. I use my own ragu which has chicken livers in it. :D
    We have been in this house for nearly six years. Previously to that I lived in inner London for 40 years. I love my house and its views from the windows. It suits us beautifully in terms of layout and space. I do not like having to drive 3 miles to buy milk or a newspaper. I rarely go outside for a walk unless I am going with someone, although it is lovely round the lanes. I have found it difficult to make friends here, though I now have two from the yoga group. We are both very different in attitude and politics from the people around us. I have somehow lost my enthusiasm for gardening.
    We hope Brighton /Hove will give us the right combination of seaside, quiet tree lined streets, shops, restaurants and entertainment.
    I want to stroll out on a summers evening by the sea, or bike along the promenade. I want to go out to eat and walk home or get a cheap taxi, or free bus. I want to walk round the corner and buy milk and fresh bread. I want to go to the theatre again. I want to see more of my grandchildren. I want to stay on with my son after they've gone to bed and have fish and chips and sparkling wine and then walk home.
    It is a huge upheaval and we are beginning to realise that, in our price bracket, to get the location we want, we will have to do a considerable amount of work. Big, knocking down walls and reconfiguring work. :sad: One of the houses we were dithering over has sold.

Cake icing today. Couldn't face it yesterday.

Heather UK
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support it means more than you can possibly know. First counseling appointment was today with just me and the counselor. The first question was do I have a support system? No. My daughters used to take turns taking the boys when they were younger. But their lives seem too busy to do this anymore. Anyway the counselor said I should go to intake for me because she feels I am depressed and probably would benefit from medication. She's probably right so will set up an appt for me.

When I got home from the counseling appointment I had water up to my door from the rain so called the office and they had to dig a trench for the water to flow downhill and away from my apt. Thank goodness it did not get into my apartment due to the thick doormat I have outside my door. Thunder and lightning but no power outage for us. There were some places where it was out however when we were out in the car. I hope the weather is not so bad tomorrow evening when we are suppose to go to one of my great-grandson's 4th birthday. He loves the Turtles so found him a bowling set with all the Turtles on it.

So glad that everyone seems to be healing well and hope you are back to your normal lives again soon. Love all the pictures from you adventurous travelers along with your travelogs.

Interview on Monday - still no word from the last one but I guess no one who interviewed has heard from them. They may have had to put a hold on hiring because the Division Chief is retiring.

Off to bed and have a long talk with my Higher Power. Night all! <3<3<3
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Glo, so glad you're talking to someone... I was worried about you.

Kim... the prices are amazing, it's part of the reason we're attracted to the area. That and trees. And grass. We're really interested in the semi-self-sufficient lifestyle. On the grid, but minimally. Growing our own fruits and vegetables, raising a couple pigs, goats to be able to make butter and cheese, nearby fishing... if we get enough acreage, trading out with a local dairy to raise a calf or two each year for beef. I make bread myself, easy sneezy, and I can make enough cash writing in the early mornings for the web to be able to supply the basics... flour, salt sugar, etc. Corey hunts, as well, though neither of us is fond of game meats. The church would make a great smoke house, and we might be able to sell some of what we produce, as well.

Basically, it sounds dreamy. And like a lot of hard work, I'm not naive enough to think it's not... but it would be work for us, and well worth trying. Can't wait to see what my daughter thinks of it when she goes today.

Lisa in West Texas
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heather and Lisa. You both are such strong capable women. Your plans and rationales for the next big move sound so wonderful. You make me want to jump into my next big adventure but.... :# Reality means I am staying put, my time will come and I will stick around to share the exciting choices when the time comes (about 3-7 years before retirement for me) :s

Planning a big day of errands and walking with DH today. Tomorrow I am off to a Sister's Day.

We are going to enjoy a brunch, a play and then a grand reveal of OS's renovated apartment. I will be on the road and have to navigate a big brunch (hard to say no to waffles yes?) wine and desserts. Sounds like the kick off to the busy food season!! Log every bite, move every day, repeat repeat repeat!!

Happy Saturday everyone NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    :)
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    For Heather

loving-bees-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    Hello, Mirthful Mamas!

Tomorrow, already, it's Friday - so it's jammie day at my house. I am ready for it.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Re in TX

Jammie Day!!! I am going to have to schedule that in my house :) It sounds really cool.... <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Your country place sounds lovely, but not a good match for your social needs. I hope everything goes well and you find just the right place in Brighton. :flowerforyou:

Gloria: I'm sending good thoughts your way. You have a lot on your plate and handle the responsibility with courage, effort & wisdom. I hope you are able to get a support system to give you a bit of rest and encouragement. :heart:

There is a big storm headed our way, but it isn't here yet. My riding lesson has been postponed until after the storm passes us. The stable owner is worried about the possibility of huge fir trees along her driveway falling and damaging property or worse. That means I might get to ride Sunday, or might have to miss a week. She is a lovely woman & I hope she doesn't end up with property damage. Yesterday there were tornadoes on the Oregon coast! That is a first as far as I know. Mary picked a wild time to be here in Oregon! One of my yoga buddies is planning to do a run/walk across the Astoria-Megler Bridge tomorrow. I hope it is safe and she is able to go and enjoy herself. I've been thinking about Becca and hope her home is secure. The tornadoes yesterday were south of her.

It is still dark outside at 6:47am. I can't believe it! We don't shift to standard time until the end of the month.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,741 Member
    Options
    a quick good morning~
    I am on my 3rd night of very little sleep and it is catching up to me...Chester the lil rascal is getting up every 2-3 hrs to go out and pee, he has peed on the floor and still lots of blood in the urine.. Tom take either tylenol or advil p.m. each night so he sleeps through most of getting up with the dog.. like I said I am sleeping on the futon which is much lower to the ground and he can sleep on there and jump down without injuring himself..
    I got up at 5:50 this morning and went grocery shopping... just having the freezer drawer is tough when your used to grocery shopping every 2-3 weeks.. but am trying my best..
    will try and check in later..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    BEE-utiful cake, Heather . Have a wonderful celebration
    NYKAREN
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla wrote "It is still dark outside at 6:47am. I can't believe it! We don't shift to standard time until the end of the month."

Actually daylight savings time ends November 6th , day after my 67th birthday. :)

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    We will leave SEMO Monday. Jack has pretty much decided for now if we are needed here we will just bring the motor home down. Unless there are any major changes in the situation here, that's our immediate plan. Not exactly sure where we are headed. Matthew put a damper on my Charleston, Savannah, coastal trip for now.

Janetr (ready to continue this road trip)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,594 Member
    Options
    Thank you Carol! <3

Well, my dear friends - here is the cake! I didn't get out of my jammies today and only cleaned my teeth after lunch. :o
    The monkey is to represent her monkey comforter and the bee is - for BEA! <3

7kwy9jkjl44s.jpg

We have to transport it 40 minutes across country, so I will take it in two separate tiers and reassemble it at the venue. I have an emergency repair kit!! We have non slip stuff that goes in the trunk of the car. :noway:
    Anyway, I am mightily relieved that it came out OK. :D

Heather UK

u did that????
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,594 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

lat start , kirby's at work and he didn't wake me up, guess he wanted me to sleep in, i'm doing another 2hr run. he took the car so he could get home early. hr picked up my phone yesterday and got it transferred to my phone number. yesterday last night i was uploading the 3 apps i needed to run today so i should be set.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: The cake is a masterpiece! :bigsmile:

Pip: Your man obviously takes good care of you. :heart:

We're ready for the storm and waiting for it to show up. The last weather news I heard predicted it wouldn't reach our area until late this afternoon. We will see.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,741 Member
    Options
    Heather~ stunning cake that will be the hit of the Christening party <3
    well I got a second wind I guess, Tom is finishing off the drainage around the bulkhead ,I swear the man works like a stevador.. now he is blowing all the dirt off the patio.. me I organized the linen closet, swept and washed the floors,made an apple crisp and put away groceries, but think both Tom and I will need a nap...
    found the tylenol thank goodness I needed it.. and now I am checking in with you all and having a nice tall glass of Honest T - moroccan mint green tea, I treat myself to one of these every few months, it is organic and sweetened with just a touch of honey and it is just lovely..
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,137 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,953 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, that cake is awesome...it will be the hit of the party, second to Bea.

:) Brandy's walking friends (two women and a dog) came to the house for a visit this morning. She had already met up with them on her walk....she was ecstatic. She has missed them so much since Jake has been walking her because he doesn't get up early enough.

:* the storm is starting up here with lots of wind...I'm staying indoors and taking a nap after lunch.

<3 Barbie
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Everyone on the west coast stay safe in the storms.

HEATHER ~ The cake is lovely and you are so talented.

Went to the GS's baseball game and didn't broil. On the way there, I realized I had filled my car up with gas at his last game on Saturday and it was still full. I must be a home body...LOL. But, we are going to our favorite Mexican restaurant tonight and I will get to see my SnL/BnL.

Carol