WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,352 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Feeling a little overwhelmed again! What's new? :*
    The estate agents keep sending me stuff, but our house isn't even on the market officially. (Maybe tomorrow ) Until we know what someone will offer for it we can't really go seriously hunting. I will email them to keep them up to date with our situation. One quite nice house was offered on within a day!
    But there do seem to be a few new ones coming on the market after a pretty stuck period.

My cleaner came and I've asked her to do the odd extra hour for me - sometimes just to hold my hand while I make decluttering decisions. She will clean the inside of the oven! :D
    KJ - I have very little of the "heirloom" type and they are mostly small ornaments I am attached to. Most of the difficult stuff is big boxes of photos, (I seem to have become the family archivist), and my boxes of old writings. I am vain enough to have the fantasy that one day someone will "discover" me and want to keep my archive of scribbles. :laugh: Maybe Harvard? :laugh: I also have 3 memory boxes. We have tons (literally) of books that need to be culled, - again. ;) I have far too much crockery, glasses and kitchen equipment; enough for a restaurant. The loft is a nightmare. Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!

One thing I have done today, because I promised you lovely people, is that I have made a good dent in my tax returns. All done except for my savings, which always drive me crazy collecting the info. The stupid thing is, I never have to pay any tax, in fact I sometimes get some back as my earnings and pensions are so low. I feel good that I have made a start and will get it finished and posted tomorrow. I promise. :D

Katla - I don't know what to say about your daughter. I expect that she, heavily pregnant, feels as if she could never, ever, go anywhere, ever again. I know I would. She is probably overwhelmed. The good thing about grandkids is that everything changes so fast. Before long the oldest will be able to hop on a plane on her own. Kids get older and less needy. I know I found it hellish to have to get everyone in the car to visit the relatives. It was not a pleasure. But that time passes so quickly.
    You are going to see her soon, so you will be able to gauge her feelings much better. My mother let me down badly over my 2nd baby and I never forgave her, but then she was not really interested in the grandchildren. My ex's parents were much better.
    I'm sure she is very, very tired. :s<3

OK, must do some emailing.

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    Mary~ Oh aren't they precious !!! you guys must be having an awesome time...
    Heather~ I feel for you, as I know neither of my children will be interested in any keepsakes..I think we are the last generation that it means anything to, our children it seems are the throw away generation. instant gratification and no sense of what heirlooms are..
    Spoke with both Ruth , and Rays brother Will, and the hopsice nurse gave him(Ray) maybe a week, so glad I will be making the trip this weekend..
    I am going to call next door neighbor now and get lawyers name, and start the ball rolling on what will be Rays funeral.. since there is only a few close friends and family , there will not be any big ta do... thinking because of cremation that we will hold off until Thanksgiving weekend to do any formal thing.. keep a small urn for both, Ruth and his brother(if they want it) but take his ashes and scatter them at the golf course he played at and loved, then maybe go out to dinner.. Brother said something about being interested in the house if it was going into forclosure.. which would be nice if it stayed in family, but Ruth thinks she will be going home someday..

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Mary - Gorgeous! They really take after their granddad! I hope all relationships are calm. <3

Heather UK
  • BlueWillowMist
    BlueWillowMist Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's a grey day today which means that the ache in the back of my head and behind my eyes is going to be staying for awhile. Oh well, at least the fall colours are pretty.

Ruby, Muskoka, ON
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Mary ~ Thanks so much for sharing the pics. Beautiful babies and your and DH look so happy. :)

Once again, I had to reset my computer. I absolutely hate Windows 10 and can't figure out how to get back to Windows 7. Today, after resetting, I had to figure out all my old passwords (thank goodness for index cards) and am trying to get the pages to fit the screen. I have lost friends from the last time I had to do this and now I've gotten back my original friends. Go figure!

DH has had to go the vascular doctor as he suspects he may have another blood clot in his leg. If this is the case, we will probably have to send him to the local hospital to get it dissolved. The last time this happened, it went to his lungs. Yes, I am worried!

Carol
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Carol - ((((hugs))))

<3 Heather UK
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I am keeping up with your posts by "checking in" twice a day. Yeah!

Having some major frustrations with hubby who is pushing doctors to do back surgery so he can enjoy walking for exercise again. His back pain is intermittent and I really don't see him suffering. He is able to go to work and do day to day things fine. I feel like surgery is such a huge step. He might be trading in occasional severe pain for chronic constant pain. (Something I have been putting up with for years). He had agreed that I could go to the MD with him for his next consultation but of course he did not tell me it was today until he was leaving to go - me still in bed. GRRRR. I don't trust him to ask all the important questions. Oh, well, it's his decision.......I just know he is not a good patient and he will be overwhelmed if he is not immediately better!

Going to my sister's on Tuesday to visit for a week. The emotional stress of a visit with her in 2015 is what led to depression and derailed my healthy living. I have visited her since that summer and handled it okay but I am a little nervous about it this time because I am not in a very good place. She has stage 4 metastatic breast cancer and would like me to come more often now. Lots of internal conflict for me but I know that it is important for her.

I am sorry to hear of the struggles some of you are facing. It makes my problems seem small. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary - the babies are precious! How fun for you!

Pip - Your fur babies are cute, too!

Welcome to those that are new.

You all brighten my day!

Toni in Tennessee
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Heather ~ Thanks! He does have blood clots in his leg but doesn't have to go to the hospital. They changed his blood thinner and we just hope that works.

Carol
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    Options
    Mary love the pictures!

Pip thanks for the dog fix.

Alison sorry about Ray.

Heather and Lisa be kind to yourselves while in such a big transition.

Carol I feel your frustration about Windows 10. It seems they want you to put everything up in the cloud. I did figure out how to put my pictures on our computer. I went to file icon and then found my pictures files. They use it at my work too, and the frustrating thing is now they how trouble playing the DVD's they have with the recent updates. I work in schools.

Some asked what small changes I have made to keep myself healthy. I try to have some kind of fermented food everyday to help keep my gut healthier. I also try to eat a high fiber diet. Because of these changes I feel stronger and am able to handle the stresses I have been under these past couple of years.

I am currently reading a book that discusses the cumulative effects of physical and emotional stress on the body. According to the author your body can reach a tipping point where it becomes hypersensitive and will often have an inflammatory response. Some type of illnesses often follows. The type of illness will vary depending on the individual. His treatment is treat the whole person through diet, exercise, sleep, therapy, and appropriate medications. He also discussed how a healthy gut benefits overall health.

:heart: Margaret
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Penny would you please send your daughter to me - my house is clean but too much stuff!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Penny, that made me smile. Nope your trees don't look like that for sure. :)

Janetr (sitting in Tampa in a gorgeous RV Resort)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    afternoon chica's~
    been a busy day especially on the phone... I did mow and bag the lawn.. that was a dirty job..
    I did get the name and number of the lawyer that is Ray's POA.. but the thing is Ray is Ruth's POA , and that isn't good.. as he is about ready to transition....Hospice gives him less than a week..
    From what she told me, the house will be going into forclosure , and if there is anything that is worth anything to get it out now...
    so that is something else I have to deal with.. will call Ruth tonight and see if she has any jewelry that she has stashed to get out of there...
    he does have a prepaid funeral , so that's a plus.. told lawyer that we would like a small memorial maybe thanksgiving weekend, if not one before that... sprinkle his ashes at bass river golf course... will contact golf course to see if that is allowable..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Mary wish I could hug those babies! Beautiful and you all look so happy!

Carol I am impressed with what you are able to do with your computer. Without DH taking care of all technology, including television, it will be back to the 1800s for. As long as I can have a book and flashlight, I can keep myself entertained!

Heather good that you have help cleaning and decluttering. You will feel lighter with each toss.

Loving the fall colors here and surprising warm temps. must convince DH for a long autumn walk this weekend. My scratchy throat is stubbornly hanging around, yuck. Still drinking lots of tea and gargling with salt water.
    NYKAREN

• Peach1948
    Options
    Margaret ~ I meant to tell you how much I loved looking at your Fall pictures.

Janet ~ Loved your pics also.

Katla ~ I don't think our son would ever think about moving far away from us and I don't think we will ever leave the home we are in. But, you never know.

Somehow I missed reading a whole page.

I just spent over and hour listing one vintage item on eBay for DH. If it sells, it will be a big help. And, we finally got a renter for our house that has been empty since June. Yeah! Maybe some of the money that has been drifting away from us will finally begin to appear.

Carol

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Just got back from volunteering in DGS#2's 3rd grade classroom - timing reading fluency. Love working with kids!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    Barbie how did they finally determine that the pain in your legs was actually coming from the problem in your back. I wonder why it took so long to come to that conclusion. I'm so happy for you that the mystery however was finally solved.

Gloria in WA

:) The problem was found with an MRI....I didn't push hard for an MRI for two reasons--first, Jake's back pain was so severe that he could hardly walk and we needed to find a solution for him first (I was uncomfortable, but I could walk with the help of some moderate pain meds)...also I was terrified of the MRI until I found out that the doctor would prescribe some relaxation meds to help with my claustrophobia.....as soon as Jake was cleared to drive and walk the dogs, we saw the doctor who ordered the MRI and lorazapam for my claustrophobia....a few days later I had the MRI and two days later my doctor saw the results and sent them to the same neurosurgeon who did Jake's' surgery.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    Re in TX - Thanks for the welcome. I have been racking my brain since yesterday thinking of a little change I can make. I love the idea. What small changes have helped you? A problem I have had in the past, which I have taken up again now that my grandchildren are around, is finishing their food. I think I can stop this, but I wonder if there might be better ideas.

:) The first thing to look at is beverages---are you getting calories from your beverages (juice, pop, coffee with cream and sugar)---drinking water instead will make a big difference----what about bread, pasta, sweets---can you exchange some of them for vegetables?