WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    woke up at 3:45 and am up for the morning.. Alyssa will be here at 8, but I can leave earlier as Faith sleeps in..My DB and DSIL bed is comfortable,but not your own bed.. will be up here on Nov. 5th too.
    Somehow I have found that other than working my life is caring for elderly people,between my dad, my DFIL, Ruth, Ray and Faith I have my hands full.. but I wouldn't consider it a chore.. I am happy to do it and have the patience for it..
    when I have a chance I want to sit down with my dad and have a discussion about a pre-paid funeral.. he already has plot and vault as he will be buried in the veterans cemetery with my mom, but I just want things in order , as Ruth, and my mom didn't and it was a mad scramble..
    Katla~ safe travels and another grandchild what a blessing....
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Re: Thanks--knowing something is true (like stop pushing, and the door will open) and putting it into practice are two very different things for me. I can think of a bunch of similar things. In fact, you've just given me a great idea for my next op/ed. I always try to draw lessons from my life that might resonate with other people, and hold on to the gentle humor that makes it memorable. One hopes. I do love reading what you write, as well. Your voice resonates, and it's lovely.

Katla: You are absolutely right that we have, indeed, put the money into the social security system ourselves, and deserve to get it back. Safe travels to meet your newest grandchild. The little buggers do decide to come when they will, don't they? My sister swore with her second that she was pregnant for 11 months, and the daughter she bore has been late to everything pretty much ever since.

Liz, Sue in Wa, everyone who's ill or hurting: Thinking about you.

Mary, Heather: thanks for the baby pics! Can't wait to see two of my grandbabies at Thanksgiving when we go up to our daughter's. She's already getting all fizzy, so happy we're coming up. Haven't seen them in more than a year, and they grow so fast. When they went to look at houses for us, grandson Tyler was very disappointed, she said, that we weren't there waiting at the first one. He took it literally, that they were looking for us, not looking at houses.

Charleen: Congrats on the NSV!

MountainMama - on the small things you can do to make a change. I have one small plate that is mine, much smaller than my husband's, so if I do clean my plate, I still eat less. It's a psychological trick, but it does help. On eating what remains on other people's plates (or your own), you might try to either dump sugar or salt on the left-over food before you take them in the kitchen, so they become inedible. Another thought to keep in mind is that their leavings belong in the garbage--and you are not a garbage can. Logging every bite into MFP really helps, as looking at something and realizing you're going to have to write it down if you eat it can be a deterrent all on its own. Unlike Re, I couldn't live without coffee, and I do still use creamer in it. So I bought a tablespoon measure to leave in the creamer, and have one level tablespoon per 16-oz cup, which is 30 calories. Three cups of coffee is still less than 100 calories, which I can live with.

Am so enjoying our first cool morning in weeks--thank you to the person who posted the fall leaves on the trees. Here, most of the trees are no more than head height, and there are seldom enough cool days in a row for them to turn any color but brown. I do miss fall.

Editorial meeting at 8:30 on election coverage across all nine sister papers. Am so tired of this election that I could just scream. One of the things my reporter (who is a darn good graphic artist) and I have begun is a cartoon, single panel, every week, which we called Texas Toast--two small characters, a boy and a girl, piece of toast, talk about what's going on. I generate the concept from my fertile brain, he illustrates it. It's meant to be whimsical, most of the time, but we get serious on occasion. Thought y'all might like a couple of them--we do stay neutral politically, very deliberately. On the second one - they bring in re-enactors, including the Camel Corps, with live camels, and fire off cannons all day long, about once an hour, on Living History Days each year. You can hear it across the entire town. It was last weekend--and if you live here, you can't avoid knowing about it.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in West Texas
    m2k35at2zcx0.jpg
    9zh3vdv9xr4v.jpg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Katla hugs and best wishes for a safe birth of your grandchild.

Happy and healthy day everyone, NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,362 Member
    Options
    Liz - So sorry you are in pain. :flowerforyou: A difficult time for you. <3 ((((HUGS))))

Katla - Bon voyage! Hope everything goes smoothly and brilliantly. <3

Over here the state pension has been very unfair to the group of women just four years younger than me. Their retirement age has been put back from 60, to 63 and now to 65 I think. Without much notice. My cancer friend comes into that category and is very angry. I was lucky to get mine at 60, but I am on a much reduced rate as I paid a married woman's rate for years. I actually retired from my very part time teaching job at 55, when I married DH. That was part of the plan to enjoy our new life together. He retired at 59 and took his teacher's pension. His state pension kicked in at 65. We were fortunate that we could almost live on our combined income, but we are drawing heavily on our savings. Hence the worries about spending too much on a house. We have to allow £50,000 for taxes and expenses for a move.

Going to finish my taxes and post it off today.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options

balloons.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

Re- guess they don't
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Friday! Doing the Friday dance!
    Mary- Love the pics of the babies! So sweet and you and your dh looks so happy! <3
    Charleen- Great NSV with the smaller jeans! I have never had a "girlie" pair of jeans. Even as a girl I shopped in the boys dept. due to my scrawniness. Not a problem now, though. :(
    Liz- Love and hugs to you as you begin to visit docs and get started on your journey to wellness! Thinking of you! Get lots of rest! <3
    Pip- You are tough! You even wore out a heart rate monitor! Dang girl!
    Janet, Margaret- beautiful pics! I am hoping the rain and dreariness will clear a bit so the sun comes out and shines on the trees. It is so hard to appreciate the colors when it is raining! Bah. Michigan weather. :s
    Lisa- love the cartoons! I love a newspaper that can remain unbiased. I have a self imposed five minute limit for myself on facebook every day; simply because I can't stomach all of the political posts from family and friends. Driving me crazy!
    Re-Feeling you on the puffy princess thing. It seems like I just get started on a challenge and something sets me back. This time a sinus infection. I think it's been four weeks of almost no exercise. Maybe a walk here or there when I had the energy. So frustrating! But I am still moving forward. Won't meet my goal, I am sure, but any loss is good loss when it comes to weight or inches. Have to echo what Barbie said and say that your posts and kind words to all are an inspiration and spirit lifter for me! Thank you, friend! o:)
    Rori- Love your catdog! My sister has had many cats in her lifetime, but only one liked being taken for walks. He also seemed to be the most loving of her cats. The others were very "cat-like" in their affections.
    Katla- safe travels and enjoy your new grandbaby! I hope to be making a similar trip in March to see my first grand baby.
    Speaking of babies; my daughter (who is preggers with her first child/our first grandchild) was referring to baby as "bean", "grape", "kumquat"; whatever size baby happened to be at that week. We have settled on a pre-birth nickname now that we know the due date. We are calling the baby Pi, because the due date is March 14 (3.14). <3 We find out the gender next week. Kind of excited. I think it's a girl, but we shall see...
    Allie- thinking of you as you travel to visit and help friends. You are always so kind to every one; remember to take time and be kind to yourself!
    Kiddos arriving! Gotta fly! Weekend coming and I feel good! Hoo-rah!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Kelly - I sympathize with your frustration at not being able to exercise. I'm sitting here stinky and sweaty :sweat_smile: and oh-so-happy because I finally had a chance to get out jogging again! The past 10 days have been so busy I simply haven't been able to squeeze in any formal jogging. All I've done is dash to and from the grocery store like a madwoman, and that doesn't count. I probably won't attain my 160-km goal for the month. :cry:

MountainMomma - you wondered about small changes that might help. One thing that made a huge difference for me was a decision to eat about a pound of raw veggies every single day. (That's in addition to the vegetables that go with meals.) Maybe worth a try?

I prep them in the morning when I'm brewing my coffee and eat them as snacks later in the day. A whole pound is a lot of raw veg, and I had to work my way up gradually, but it sure was worth it! After I got the habit established the pounds gradually started to come off. I've fallen off the vegetable wagon a bit recently and it shows on the scales, especially when combined with not being able to get out running.

w5ajii41r5af.jpg

/Penny, sweaty at the North Pole
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Oooo! I almost forgot! Need advice! It seems when you turn 50 and visit your doc; you leave the appointment with a handful of "other" appointments for procedures. I have scheduled my birthday colonoscopy! Yea me! ANyway, I googled the prep procedure, so I understand the "purge". But I am wondering if you ladies have any other tips. Would it be better or easier on the system to go to a liquid diet three days before the procedure? any tips to make it easier or more comfortable? I have scheduled for a MOnday morning, so that will give me the weekend to become best friends with the toilet.
  • cmg2305
    cmg2305 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just joined your group and am exited about all the tips and support you give. My bumper sticker and favorite quote is "Never, Never give up" it has helped with so many life events and am counting on it helping here also.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Kelly: The purge was the most uncomfortable part of the procedure. The actual procedure was a walk in the park. I think there was a 2 day pre-procedure diet but can't remember the specifics although you should receive them when you book the appointment

Carey-Northern Alberta

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    Hello, Colorful Cookies!
    Cheri[/b] – How you doing, Sugar? You have been awfully quiet, lately...
    Hugs for Everybody!!
    Re in TX

Hello!

Thanks so much for asking about me!

I've been lurking. Having a bit of a depressive moment in my life. So just scooting along for now. Don't quite understand why because all is just peachy in my life-except for my weight loss journey. Will discuss with new physician at first appt beginning of November. May need a med adjustment.

Haven't let it stop me from staying present in life thankfully. Still getting my 1000 steps per hour alone and with the help of my daughter in Va who calls during the day and we chat while we both walk about our homes. I've been going to all the library events available-book club, adult coloring and crafting hour. I've become recognizable and that's a good thing. I've been attending Women's Club lunches and recently a tour of Kyle Stadium. I get anxious about going out to these things and wish that I actually looked forward to them instead. I'm in the beginnings of a friendship with a women I met at one of the luncheons. We are meeting for lunch today. Our son has completed his move to Houston. He stayed with us for a week and last Saturday we helped him move into his new apt. Tomorrow I am flying (solo) to VA to spend the week with Ros. I am sooooo nervous flying alone. But I will put on my big girl panties, swallow some Dramamine and get it done. She is such a support for me and she is holding me to my commitment to visit her regularly despite the travel challenges I face. I will also be able to see my nieces and several of my grands. Karen in VA want to meet up! I will be there for the entire week!

So there you have it ladies. I have been reading and following along. You are all an inspiration and I truly feel that I have y'all on my shoulder every time I venture out into the world. Always sending prayers/thoughts/blessings/kudos to everyone each and every day!

Love you ladies!
    459830qyqjkq81to.gif
    Cheri
    in College Station, TX where the current temp is 56 degrees
  • pipcd34
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Oooo! I almost forgot! Need advice! It seems when you turn 50 and visit your doc; you leave the appointment with a handful of "other" appointments for procedures. I have scheduled my birthday colonoscopy! Yea me! ANyway, I googled the prep procedure, so I understand the "purge". But I am wondering if you ladies have any other tips. Would it be better or easier on the system to go to a liquid diet three days before the procedure? any tips to make it easier or more comfortable? I have scheduled for a MOnday morning, so that will give me the weekend to become best friends with the toilet.

I have had a few- I just did broth kinda stuff. The liquid they make u drink? I chug it to get it over with. It's not as bad as it sounds. I even had them keep me awake so I could watch, it was kinda cool. Your electrolytes will go out of wack so wear warm clothing . It will be over b4 u know it

Morning peeps
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options

I have had to have numerous colonoscopies as my mother is a colon cancer survivor. As a matter of fact because of our move I'm behind on my 5 year check up. Will get my new doc to order a script. The prep is the worst part for me. I've always been "under" for the procedure. Supposed to be twilight but I'm sensitive to the stuff they use and it puts me way under. I've done both preps the liquid and tablets. I'm a wimp so it is kinda hard on me and my system altogether and the recoup takes me a day or two. If you have a stronger constitution then you will do just fine. Just have on hand more of what you need to eat/drink to stave off hunger. Be sure to have someone with you or they won't release you.

Good luck,

Cheri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    I'VE POSTED OFF MY TAXES! Hooray, hooray! :Do:):D

Our house is now live on the estate agent's website. :) It goes on Rightmove later today. (A nation wide website) Nobody's been to see it yet. >:)

Heather UK

:)Heather, I just checked and "Righmove" is accessible on the internet here, so give us some information to help us find your house and see the photos
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options

:) I postponed getting a colonoscopy until I was past 60 and it was the encouragement and suggestions from the women on this site that made the procedure possible for me. I ate my healthy way with lots of water on the days ahead and on the day of liquid only, I had apple juice and chicken broth all day long and loved every minute of it because on normal days I would never have allowed myself all that sugar and sodium.
  • pipcd34
    Options