why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".
    Search sweet poison in YouTube. It stooped me in my tracks.

YouTube isn't the best place for nutritional information :p
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".

You think?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

are you actually serious? I can't tell
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

You think?

LMAO!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

You really haven't read this thread have you? There is NO credible evidence to support anything you just posted other than a few discredited quacks who don't even do primary research.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BiomedDent wrote: »
    lipogensis. Wikipedia is your friend.

The storage of nutrients occurs regardless of the composition of the diet. De novo lipogensis would actually suggest that the conversion of carbohydrates into fatty acids takes a good amount of energy to do so, thus the amount of carbs that get converted are actually very low (~25% or less).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

????????????????????????????????????????????????

Wonder if she is talking about rat experiments with sucrose since rat livers metabolize far more fructose into liver fat than humans do.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    So did you all come up with an answer? I see why some people are so lost and confused on losing weight with all the theories floating around.... This thread is all over the place. From fat, to carbs, to sweets,etc., being the culprit. The truth is, we are fat because of lack of discipline and commitment, among a few other things. We blame everything and everyone else...we need to take responsibility.

Essentially, calories makes us fat.

PERFECT! I will stop eating calories then! Wait, how do I do that???

You stop eating excess calories

You eat calories to fuel your body minus x amount ...the body still needs the "minus x amount" and will take it from your body

It's not complicated, why try to make it complicated?

I was joking....I guess it was a really bad joke. I gotta work on my material
  • serapel
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ok so I've tried a lil experiment on myself a number of times.

I will eat the same cals = 2100

One week with high protein, low carbs...I will be about 1 lb lighter and not hungry at night

One week high carbs and sugar (chocolate for lunch yum)...I will be about 2 lbs heavier and very hungry at night.

Why would this be if I'm eating the same amount of calories?

One week isn't enough data to conclude anything at all. Beyond that, if you're lower carb you are going to hold onto less water and deplete glycogen...increase carbs and you're going to hold onto more water and replenish glycogen..those things have mass and thus weight...

If carbs hindered or caused weight gain, every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would be obese. You can also look at populations like Japan who have one of the lowest if not the lowest obesity rates...high carb diet.

I eat a substantially plant based diet which means I eat a lot of carbs...lots of beans and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice and pasta, etc...I do just fine with satiety...

In your post, you're primarily looking at carbs as "junk"...who the frack has chocolate for lunch? That's not lunch, that's a snack treat. I don't know anyone who would be satiated just eating chocolate for lunch...there are numerous sources of highly nutritious carbohydrates...this crap gets really old...

Whatev

Whatev what? Yeah...you're going to be hungry if all you have is chocolate for lunch...your "experiment" is inherently flawed...like big time.

You took my comments out of context. I eat about every two hours the same amt of calories swapping sugar for protein. My comments are very valid.

Eating a snackfood as a meal then wondering why it's not filling is not valid.
    Prescribing any importance to a 1 pound difference over one week when weight can fluctuate that much easily from one day to another due to water retention is not valid.

You are reinforcing that sugar is empty calories that don't satiate you, no? That's what I'm trying to convey.

and I know my own body better than you, so I do what's best for me and all I was stating is what doesn't work for me and that's a high sugar diet. I am hungrier and less satisfied.

Last I checked, chocolate has gram for gram more calories than plain sugar, why was that again... oh right because half the calories come from fat.

Brilliant!!!
  • serapel
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So did you all come up with an answer? I see why some people are so lost and confused on losing weight with all the theories floating around.... This thread is all over the place. From fat, to carbs, to sweets,etc., being the culprit. The truth is, we are fat because of lack of discipline and commitment, among a few other things. We blame everything and everyone else...we need to take responsibility.

reduce your overall quantity of food consumed by 15 to 20%....

this is not rocket science
    ndj1979 wrote: »

reduce your overall quantity of food consumed by 15 to 20%....

this is not rocket science

was my bad attempt at a joke. I guess I'm just not funny.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    For those of you who don't understand that carbs don't just convert to fat this might be of interest to you https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981. It is very clear that just substituting carb calories for fat calories in a 1:1 ratio does not increase fat gain.
  • serapel
    Options

You eat calories to fuel your body minus x amount ...the body still needs the "minus x amount" and will take it from your body

I was joking....I guess it was a really bad joke haha

You should probably learn the art of the emoji :D

Isn't that a movie? Ok...let's see how many emoji's I can create right now:

:smile: :smiley::wink: :blush::neutral::open_mouth::cold_sweat::sweat_smile:

I'm out. I suck at emoji's
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I was joking....I guess it was a really bad joke. I gotta work on my material

Try a drum and cymbals, I find that works best. ;)

• serapel
    Options
    Last night I ate about 500 cals of chocolate covered almonds. I thought of you all as I ate them; so good!