why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".
    Search sweet poison in YouTube. It stooped me in my tracks.

i am eating sugar and cutting right now and I have lost about ten pounds. Care to explain how I am bypassing this magical process where sugar makes you gain fat in a calorie deficit?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BiomedDent wrote: »
    lipogensis. Wikipedia is your friend.

please link us to the wikipedia post that claims you can gain fat in an energy deficit...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    sugar is such an amazing macro-nutrient it has the ability to change the basic laws of math and physics...wow, who knew?

I hear NASA is investigating it as a perpetual energy source for the trip to Mars.

• lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sugar and carbs absolutely make you fat! What do you think beer belly is? There's no fat in beer. The body converts sugar/carbs into fat if it can't utilize it immediately for fuel. Doesn't matter if excess calories. I can run a calorie deficit and gain weight if I consume too many carbs without using them. Sugar and carbs also make you more hungry like eating Chinese food. Your insulin gets high which blocks your satiety signals to your brain. Your body won't burn fat until the glycogen is depleted. First it uses glycogen, then it uses fat as reserve.

This is absolutely right! I am proof that you CAN gain even when in a calorie deficit. I was counting calories and working my butt off and not losing. WHAT you eat is a lot more important than HOW much you eat. If I am eating too many carbs I just can not lose weight...even if I am under my calorie goal. Its taken a lot of trial and error to learn this.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lizziewhan wrote: »
    Sugar and carbs absolutely make you fat! What do you think beer belly is? There's no fat in beer. The body converts sugar/carbs into fat if it can't utilize it immediately for fuel. Doesn't matter if excess calories. I can run a calorie deficit and gain weight if I consume too many carbs without using them. Sugar and carbs also make you more hungry like eating Chinese food. Your insulin gets high which blocks your satiety signals to your brain. Your body won't burn fat until the glycogen is depleted. First it uses glycogen, then it uses fat as reserve.

This is absolutely right! I am proof that you CAN gain even when in a calorie deficit. I was counting calories and working my butt off and not losing. WHAT you eat is a lot more important than HOW much you eat. If I am eating too many carbs I just can not lose weight...even if I am under my calorie goal. Its taken a lot of trial and error to learn this.

That is quite impossible. You were not in a deficit.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

So you lose water and glycogen and thus you have lost weight. Great, but what are you really trying to lose? If you just want to lose weight try amputation it's a short cut to losing weight. In all seriousness, though you need to re-evaluate how you came up with this because you are doing something wrong if you are in a deficit and think you are gaining weight just because of macro mix.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What is a calorie? Energy What is fat? Stored energy. Any energy that we don't use is converted to fat for later use.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    Last night I ate about 500 cals of chocolate covered almonds. I thought of you all as I ate them; so good!

I love chocolate covered almonds. Pret sells them in a 220 calorie serving sizes with a dark, milk, and white chocolate mix (I like the dark chocolate ones the best). Of the 220 calories, 80 are from sugar, and 126 are from fat. These are pretty high sugar example of chocolate-covered almonds, but they were an easy source and I do enjoy them occasionally.

Curious why you thought of us, but since chocolate covered almonds are delicious, I will assume that we are associated with positive, joyful experiences!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".
    Search sweet poison in YouTube. It stooped me in my tracks.

Ugh. No, no, no. NOPE.
    Youtube is NOT a trusted source if information. It is as trusted as facebook or tumblr. @andreakreymborg Try something credible backed up by science...

Wow.
    And I've lost almost 100lbs including sugar in my diet.
    Ps, I am not a special snowflake, either.
    I win!

Ps... science doesn't agree with you, either, unless you can find some scientific evidence to prove your.....point.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Why?

Oh boy, I'm 15 pages late into this conversation......

It doesn't.

A surplus of food makes us fat.

I was fat my entire adulthood eating little or no added sugar, and I've lost weight and successfully kept it off having adding sugar in my diet.

Why do you think sugar makes you fat?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    An excess of calories makes us fat, no matter the source of those calories. Sugar calories aren't special.

Well, actually....they are.....

1cy52f.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    Last night I ate about 500 cals of chocolate covered almonds. I thought of you all as I ate them; so good!

I love chocolate covered almonds. Pret sells them in a 220 calorie serving sizes with a dark, milk, and white chocolate mix (I like the dark chocolate ones the best). Of the 220 calories, 80 are from sugar, and 126 are from fat. These are pretty high sugar example of chocolate-covered almonds, but they were an easy source and I do enjoy them occasionally.

Curious why you thought of us, but since chocolate covered almonds are delicious, I will assume that we are associated with positive, joyful experiences!

Chocolate covered almonds are my kryptonite. I am eternally grateful that the dark chocolate (the only ones worth eating, imo) from my easiest source to grab decent ones, Trader Joes, have a cross-contamination warning on the label so I can't eat them.

I'll likely seek some out around Christmas. I always associate chocolate covered nuts with Christmas. When I was growing up, we always had a box of Whitman's chocolate covered nuts out on the cookie buffet all season. They were my favorite. I'm also fond of chocolate covered Brazil nuts. The fat to sugar ratio on those must be even higher.