why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Wheelhouse I think you might be, being purposely obtuse. @pslulemon was much more succinct when he/she said Satiety is a key roll.

If you are satiated by carbs... eat them. I am not. I just get hungrier and eat more. However if I keep to meat and fresh veggies I stay satiated longer. So I stay the F* away from carbs. Its my strategy for staying satiated. I fight hunger, by not letting myself get hungry.

It is entirely possible to have some evolution going on here that might be the cause of this. I have three great grand mothers that are Comanche and grew upon the reservations in Oklahoma. (I knew them personally) So *maybe* my genetics aren't wired to handle starchy carbs as well as others. I don't know the explanation. I just know that when I have a diet that is full of lean protein, fresh vegetables, fruits and nuts I do better.

The minute I start adding white starch (potatos, sugar, bread, pasta, rice) to my diet I become Bruce from finding Nemo. If you don't yay you.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".
    Search sweet poison in YouTube. It stooped me in my tracks.

@andreakreymborg welcome to MFP forums.

Sugar and processed carbs also makes my fuel gauge read EMPTY all the time.

I would be interested hear from anyone that can eat until they are full that can gain more 6 pounds in the next 6 months eating no sugar and no more than 50 grams of whole carbs daily.

Considering fats don't fill me up, I could easily do that. Just because you can't do something, doesn't mean others can't. I got fat from high amounts of fats in my diet... especially meat.

Unlimited cheese alone would make it super easy for me.

I intentionally didn't throw much cheese into my sample day listed above...that seemed like cheating ;) I can eat a wheel of triple cream brie by myself, then follow it up with some manchego and blue. Some days I might invite salami and prosciutto to my cheese party, but other occasions they're unwanted distractions from my cheese-eating. My wedding reception was in a cheese shop, where I was surrounded by all the family, friends, and food I love. Cheese is glorious.

Since we're rehashing all the same stuff about sugar and carbs for the millionth time, let's play a game. What cheese would be most responsible for you gaining 6+ lbs in 6 months? I'll start:

mont-dor.jpg

Meet Vacherin Mont d'Or. Although given that it's expensive and only available around winter, maybe this is a poor choice. Also I'd have to find out if it's as good scraped up with carrot sticks as it is with bread or crackers. Hrm.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".

I would be interested hear from anyone that can eat until they are full that can gain more 6 pounds in the next 6 months eating no sugar and no more than 50 grams of whole carbs daily.

While that sounds like hell to me and I don't run pointless experiments on my body, here's an example of a LCHF day in the portions it would take for me to feel moderately full:

3 eggs, scrambled with milk and cheese, cooked in oil, 2 slices of bacon: 550 calories
    6 oz pork loin w/ roasted broccoli topped with parmesan: 450 calories
    2 oz cashews: 320 calories
    6 oz salmon w/ leeks, pan-fried in butter, served with wine: 650 calories

Total: 1970 calories, 46g carbs
    My TDEE: 1800 calories

Would gain about 8 lbs in 6 months if I ate like that every day. Now, cook with less fat, replace the bacon with a tortilla, skip the snack of cashews, and add rice with dinner? I'm under my TDEE and much more satiated... Which is why I eat the way I do.

But not if that WOE moved your TDEE moved higher as research indicates that would be expected.

TDEE cannot be changed by WOE, not in any significant way to make a difference. It is changed by doing either more activity or less. There is no way in existance TDEE is changed just by eating less/more of a macro. None. How can that even be remotely possible?
    Key words: Energy expenditure.

Full Definition of expenditure
    : the act or process of expending <an expenditure of energy>
    : something expended : disbursement, expense <income should exceed expenditures>
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Considering fats don't fill me up, I could easily do that. Just because you can't do something, doesn't mean others can't. I got fat from high amounts of fats in my diet... especially meat.
    I got fat eating big portions of Mexican food packed with plenty of fat.

This past weekend, I was still well short of my weekly calorie goal, but was uncomfortably stuffed after a dinner that had plenty of carbs (BIG sides of corn and rice). I turned to a large handful of mixed nuts (~80% calories from fat) that evening to help me get my calories up. It was one of the most calorie dense foods I had on hand. I also had some chocolate candy, which, while it has plenty of sugar, still had most of it's calories from fat.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

While that sounds like hell to me and I don't run pointless experiments on my body, here's an example of a LCHF day in the portions it would take for me to feel moderately full:

3 eggs, scrambled with milk and cheese, cooked in oil, 2 slices of bacon: 550 calories

Would gain about 8 lbs in 6 months if I ate like that every day. Now, cook with less fat, replace the bacon with a tortilla, skip the snack of cashews, and add rice with dinner? I'm under my TDEE and much more satiated... Which is why I eat the way I do.

But not if that WOE moved your TDEE moved higher as research indicates that would be expected.

TDEE cannot be changed by WOE. It is changed by doing either more activity or less. There is no way in existance TDEE is changed just by eating less/more of a macro. None. How can that even be remotely possible?

: something expended : disbursement, expense <income should exceed expenditures>

Thermic effect of food. But unless you're planning to kill your kidneys with an all-protein diet or try to replace all your fats with alcohol, TEF is going to be insignificant between different, non-extreme WOEs.

(Not to mention that carbs have a higher TEF than fat, which would seem to make Gale's claim backwards...)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    Wheelhouse I think you might be, being purposely obtuse. @pslulemon was much more succinct when he/she said Satiety is a key roll.

If you are satiated by carbs... eat them. I am not. I just get hungrier and eat more. However if I keep to meat and fresh veggies I stay satiated longer. So I stay the F* away from carbs. Its my strategy for staying satiated. I fight hunger, by not letting myself get hungry.

It is entirely possible to have some evolution going on here that might be the cause of this. I have three great grand mothers that are Comanche and grew upon the reservations in Oklahoma. (I knew them personally) So *maybe* my genetics aren't wired to handle starchy carbs as well as others. I don't know the explanation. I just know that when I have a diet that is full of lean protein, fresh vegetables, fruits and nuts I do better.

The minute I start adding white starch (potatos, sugar, bread, pasta, rice) to my diet I become Bruce from finding Nemo. If you don't yay you.

You say you are not satiated by carbs, but don't have issues with fresh vegetables and fruits which are basically all carbs. And simple carbs/sugar at that.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I intentionally didn't throw much cheese into my sample day listed above...that seemed like cheating ;) I can eat a wheel of triple cream brie by myself, then follow it up with some manchego and blue. Some days I might invite salami and prosciutto to my cheese party, but other occasions they're unwanted distractions from my cheese-eating. My wedding reception was in a cheese shop, where I was surrounded by all the family, friends, and food I love. Cheese is glorious.

Since we're rehashing all the same stuff about sugar and carbs for the millionth time, let's play a game. What cheese would be most responsible for you gaining 6+ lbs in 6 months? I'll start:

mont-dor.jpg

Meet Vacherin Mont d'Or. Although given that it's expensive and only available around winter, maybe this is a poor choice. Also I'd have to find out if it's as good scraped up with carrot sticks as it is with bread or crackers. Hrm.

I used to eat that cheese with wieners. As low carb as it gets. Definitely over 1000 calories. For the cheese alone.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

TDEE cannot be changed by WOE. It is changed by doing either more activity or less. There is no way in existance TDEE is changed just by eating less/more of a macro. None. How can that even be remotely possible?

Thermic effect of food. But unless you're planning to kill your kidneys with an all-protein diet or try to replace all your fats with alcohol, TEF is going to be insignificant between different, non-extreme WOEs.

(Not to mention that carbs have a higher TEF than fat, which would seem to make Gale's claim backwards...)

Even going from absolute minimum recommendations to bodybuilder levels of protein only gives you 20-30 or so extra calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options

I used to eat blocks of cheese when i was younger. I love cheese. I easily binge on it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

mont-dor.jpg

Not playing -- it's a good way to work up an appetite. :-) That cheese looks so amazing, though!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Blood sugar spikes then deep valleys spur on hunger (at least in some of us) Cutting out those foods that cause your blood sugar to spike helps you keep an even blood sugar level. So when you *crash* after a sugar surge and you eat more you eat more than you truly need.

I have seen it in my self. I have noticed that when I eat 2 boiled eggs for breakfast I can make it to lunch without feeling like I'm going to knaw my arm off. BUT when I have a piece of pumkin bread from Sbux or a croisant, you can set your watch on it, 2 hours later I will be hungry again.

I prefer *not* to have to play this mental strength game with my body. I find foods that satisfy me for longer periods of time and I don't get hungry and I don't over eat except when in social situations. For me the foods that satisfy the most are protein rich foods. I am *not* one of those people that can eat large amounts of fiber and have it satisfy me. I have tried. Meat, cheese, nuts and fruit keep me from feeling hungry meal to meal. That's why those kind of diets work for me.

Falling off the wagon and eating sugar for me is like a newly recovered Alcoholic walking into a bar. It's ugly and generally inadvisable. I can't explain it and I know so many on here will tout how ridiculous these theories are. BUT Know thy self, and to thine own self be true.

If you are hungry 2hrs after eating 200 calories of starchy carbs but 4hrs after eating 200 calories after eating protien & fat you're totally chill guess what that means for you... Stay The F* away from sugar and starch

I had to reply to this because you mentioned the boiled eggs.

I'm all about eating what keeps me from being hungry too, so I hear you.

But two boiled eggs wouldn't do it.

One boiled egg and a banana?

Now you're talking.

That's my go-to breakfast, every day. I need that starch/sugar/fiber with my protein and fat to feel full.

I am convinced that satiety/hunger is about far more than the issue of blood sugar spiking and that the appeal to that as the issue is a big red herring since there are quite a few of us posting on this very thread who need that starch with our meals to feel full. Granted, a starch/protein combo isn't going to spike your blood sugar as much as a plain carb meal would, but most meals are not plain carb and it's still going to spike it a decent amount.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar spikes then deep valleys spur on hunger (at least in some of us) Cutting out those foods that cause your blood sugar to spike helps you keep an even blood sugar level. So when you *crash* after a sugar surge and you eat more you eat more than you truly need.

I have seen it in my self. I have noticed that when I eat 2 boiled eggs for breakfast I can make it to lunch without feeling like I'm going to knaw my arm off. BUT when I have a piece of pumkin bread from Sbux or a croisant, you can set your watch on it, 2 hours later I will be hungry again.

I prefer *not* to have to play this mental strength game with my body. I find foods that satisfy me for longer periods of time and I don't get hungry and I don't over eat except when in social situations. For me the foods that satisfy the most are protein rich foods. I am *not* one of those people that can eat large amounts of fiber and have it satisfy me. I have tried. Meat, cheese, nuts and fruit keep me from feeling hungry meal to meal. That's why those kind of diets work for me.

Falling off the wagon and eating sugar for me is like a newly recovered Alcoholic walking into a bar. It's ugly and generally inadvisable. I can't explain it and I know so many on here will tout how ridiculous these theories are. BUT Know thy self, and to thine own self be true.

If you are hungry 2hrs after eating 200 calories of starchy carbs but 4hrs after eating 200 calories after eating protien & fat you're totally chill guess what that means for you... Stay The F* away from sugar and starch

I had to reply to this because you mentioned the boiled eggs.

I'm all about eating what keeps me from being hungry too, so I hear you.

But two boiled eggs wouldn't do it.

One boiled egg and a banana?

Now you're talking.

That's my go-to breakfast, every day. I need that starch/sugar/fiber with my protein and fat to feel full.

I am convinced that satiety/hunger is about far more than the issue of blood sugar spiking and that the appeal to that as the issue is a big red herring since there are quite a few of us posting on this very thread who need that starch with our meals to feel full. Granted, a starch/protein combo isn't going to spike your blood sugar as much as a plain carb meal would, but most meals are not plain carb and it's still going to spike it a decent amount.

This is what I had for lunch and this salad would not have been same if I left the potatoes out. 3 hours later and I'm still stuffed.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-salad-nicoise-recipes-from-the-kitchn-190232aksckrzdapmo.jpg
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Oh, I edited my post to be more diplomatic and also because the way I read your post you didn't deserve a full response. So YES, I was. Now if you want to talk about satiety and the role of a small 200Kcal meal on hunger, ok sure we can discuss that because 200KCals of anything won't do it for me and eating a few hours later just doesn't bother me. If it bothers you then that's fine it's your body and you feed it how you believe it should be fed and I'll feed mine the way I feel it should be and we can compare notes.

BTW when you reframed as "I" rather than "You" stay away from those foods it works much better because I don't immediately think I'm being ordered to do something.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

mont-dor.jpg

You've got my attention!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

mont-dor.jpg

this month? Either baked Camembert or a really strong blue cheese melted on toast...
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The mind boggles reading through this information, I'm just going to eliminate all added sugars, keep to water, tea no sugar. Plenty of vegetables and fruit in moderation.
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I really just want to try
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The mind boggles reading through this information, I'm just going to eliminate all added sugars, keep to water, tea no sugar. Plenty of vegetables and fruit in moderation.

Were there specific things you were still confused about?

Obviously you're free to choose whatever approach you feel will work best for you, but I'm curious what it was that made you feel this was the best option? Is this for weight loss? Do you have a medical reason to restrict sugars? Do you feel this will be a long term sustainable approach?

I personally couldn't choose a way of eating that prevented me from enjoying a piece of birthday cake with my children, or ice cream on a hot summer day... fortunately I understand the science behind how sugar is processed in our body and don't see a compelling reason to completely exclude added sugar from my life.

I just want to try and eliminate it sugar, I will still enjoy the piece of birthday cake etc, just be more aware I guess weight loss is important to me.