Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I really just want to try
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The mind boggles reading through this information, I'm just going to eliminate all added sugars, keep to water, tea no sugar. Plenty of vegetables and fruit in moderation.

Were there specific things you were still confused about?

Obviously you're free to choose whatever approach you feel will work best for you, but I'm curious what it was that made you feel this was the best option? Is this for weight loss? Do you have a medical reason to restrict sugars? Do you feel this will be a long term sustainable approach?

I personally couldn't choose a way of eating that prevented me from enjoying a piece of birthday cake with my children, or ice cream on a hot summer day... fortunately I understand the science behind how sugar is processed in our body and don't see a compelling reason to completely exclude added sugar from my life.

I just want to try and eliminate it sugar, I will still enjoy the piece of birthday cake etc, just be more aware I guess weight loss is important to me.

Sure. Cutting down on added sugar can often be a good way to cut excess calories, if you are consuming a lot of it. It's not required for weight loss, or for good health, so maybe just look at reducing added sugar if you find cutting it out altogether to be too difficult/restrictive.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The mind boggles reading through this information, I'm just going to eliminate all added sugars, keep to water, tea no sugar. Plenty of vegetables and fruit in moderation.

Obviously you're free to choose whatever approach you feel will work best for you, but I'm curious what it was that made you feel this was the best option? Is this for weight loss? Do you have a medical reason to restrict sugars? Do you feel this will be a long term sustainable approach?

I personally couldn't choose a way of eating that prevented me from enjoying a piece of birthday cake with my children, or ice cream on a hot summer day... fortunately I understand the science behind how sugar is processed in our body and don't see a compelling reason to completely exclude added sugar from my life.

I just want to try and eliminate it sugar, I will still enjoy the piece of birthday cake etc, just be more aware I guess weight loss is important to me.

There's no reason to totally eliminate sugar in order to lose weight-it's calories overall that you need to be reducing. Sugary foods like candy and cake have calories, but so do things like dairy, grains, meat, fruit and veggies etc. You want to look at your overall consumption of calories and then reduce them, based on what your weight loss goal deficit is. You can enter your info into MFP and it will give you the calorie number you should strive to hit. Then you just need to fit in whatever you're eating/drinking into that number :) I've found that pre-planning my day works great, because then I know what I'll be eating and I can move things around to fit in what I want to eat (if I know I want that piece of cake for dessert after supper, then I need to adjust what else I'm eating throughout the day to accommodate the calories from the cake etc).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

So not eliminating it, but cutting it down, leaving sweets for special occasions?

That's one way to reduce calories and improve your diet if you currently eat lots of sugar, sure. If weight loss is the goal I'd log for a while so you understand where your excess calories are coming from.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".
    Search sweet poison in YouTube. It stooped me in my tracks.

@andreakreymborg welcome to MFP forums.

Sugar and processed carbs also makes my fuel gauge read EMPTY all the time.

I would be interested hear from anyone that can eat until they are full that can gain more 6 pounds in the next 6 months eating no sugar and no more than 50 grams of whole carbs daily.

Considering fats don't fill me up, I could easily do that. Just because you can't do something, doesn't mean others can't. I got fat from high amounts of fats in my diet... especially meat.

Unlimited cheese alone would make it super easy for me.

I intentionally didn't throw much cheese into my sample day listed above...that seemed like cheating ;) I can eat a wheel of triple cream brie by myself, then follow it up with some manchego and blue. Some days I might invite salami and prosciutto to my cheese party, but other occasions they're unwanted distractions from my cheese-eating. My wedding reception was in a cheese shop, where I was surrounded by all the family, friends, and food I love. Cheese is glorious.

Since we're rehashing all the same stuff about sugar and carbs for the millionth time, let's play a game. What cheese would be most responsible for you gaining 6+ lbs in 6 months? I'll start:

mont-dor.jpg

Meet Vacherin Mont d'Or. Although given that it's expensive and only available around winter, maybe this is a poor choice. Also I'd have to find out if it's as good scraped up with carrot sticks as it is with bread or crackers. Hrm.

Although I love triple cream brie and various other tastier cheeses (Brillat Savarin is a favorite), I'll be honest and say extra sharp cheddar. Because those others are expensive and therefore purchased for special occasions, whereas cheddar is an everyday cheese :)

And because 'nachos' (my college version) - which means maybe a handful of chips covered in enough cheddar that you can't actually tell there are chips on the plate. Nuke until cheddar is thoroughly melted and has just gotten crisp on the edges.
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat enough calories, I don't eat cheese, yuck.i excerise, I feel good