why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lizziewhan wrote: »
    Sugar and carbs absolutely make you fat! What do you think beer belly is? There's no fat in beer. The body converts sugar/carbs into fat if it can't utilize it immediately for fuel. Doesn't matter if excess calories. I can run a calorie deficit and gain weight if I consume too many carbs without using them. Sugar and carbs also make you more hungry like eating Chinese food. Your insulin gets high which blocks your satiety signals to your brain. Your body won't burn fat until the glycogen is depleted. First it uses glycogen, then it uses fat as reserve.

This is absolutely right! I am proof that you CAN gain even when in a calorie deficit. I was counting calories and working my butt off and not losing. WHAT you eat is a lot more important than HOW much you eat. If I am eating too many carbs I just can not lose weight...even if I am under my calorie goal. Its taken a lot of trial and error to learn this.

this is mathematically and metaphysically impossible...

I am guess you did not use a food scale and assumed you were in a deficit..either that or you have some food allergy that you are not aware of...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Why?

Oh boy, I'm 15 pages late into this conversation......

It doesn't.

A surplus of food makes us fat.

I was fat my entire adulthood eating little or no added sugar, and I've lost weight and successfully kept it off having adding sugar in my diet.

Why do you think sugar makes you fat?

S'Okay. We got dis.

S'Okay....excellent to hear! ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    What is a calorie? Energy What is fat? Stored energy. Any energy that we don't use is converted to fat for later use.

if you are in an energy deficit it is used for bodily functions ....you can't gain weight/fat in a deficit of calories, period.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    Last night I ate about 500 cals of chocolate covered almonds. I thought of you all as I ate them; so good!

I love chocolate covered almonds. Pret sells them in a 220 calorie serving sizes with a dark, milk, and white chocolate mix (I like the dark chocolate ones the best). Of the 220 calories, 80 are from sugar, and 126 are from fat. These are pretty high sugar example of chocolate-covered almonds, but they were an easy source and I do enjoy them occasionally.

Curious why you thought of us, but since chocolate covered almonds are delicious, I will assume that we are associated with positive, joyful experiences!

Chocolate covered almonds are my kryptonite. I am eternally grateful that the dark chocolate (the only ones worth eating, imo) from my easiest source to grab decent ones, Trader Joes, have a cross-contamination warning on the label so I can't eat them.

I'll likely seek some out around Christmas. I always associate chocolate covered nuts with Christmas. When I was growing up, we always had a box of Whitman's chocolate covered nuts out on the cookie buffet all season. They were my favorite. I'm also fond of chocolate covered Brazil nuts. The fat to sugar ratio on those must be even higher.

I love the dark chocolates......
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Last night I ate about 500 cals of chocolate covered almonds. I thought of you all as I ate them; so good!

I love chocolate covered almonds. Pret sells them in a 220 calorie serving sizes with a dark, milk, and white chocolate mix (I like the dark chocolate ones the best). Of the 220 calories, 80 are from sugar, and 126 are from fat. These are pretty high sugar example of chocolate-covered almonds, but they were an easy source and I do enjoy them occasionally.

Curious why you thought of us, but since chocolate covered almonds are delicious, I will assume that we are associated with positive, joyful experiences!

Chocolate covered almonds are my kryptonite. I am eternally grateful that the dark chocolate (the only ones worth eating, imo) from my easiest source to grab decent ones, Trader Joes, have a cross-contamination warning on the label so I can't eat them.

I'll likely seek some out around Christmas. I always associate chocolate covered nuts with Christmas. When I was growing up, we always had a box of Whitman's chocolate covered nuts out on the cookie buffet all season. They were my favorite. I'm also fond of chocolate covered Brazil nuts. The fat to sugar ratio on those must be even higher.

The more dark, the better. I am eagerly awaiting my roasted brewing cocoa beans. I think I'll like that bitter bite of coffee, but with the flavor of chocolate instead. It's only about 10 calories a cup too. I have a milk frother and can make lattes with it. There's no caffeine (or very little). I might be indulging quite a bit as the weather turns colder.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Sugar and carbs absolutely make you fat! What do you think beer belly is? There's no fat in beer. The body converts sugar/carbs into fat if it can't utilize it immediately for fuel. Doesn't matter if excess calories. I can run a calorie deficit and gain weight if I consume too many carbs without using them. Sugar and carbs also make you more hungry like eating Chinese food. Your insulin gets high which blocks your satiety signals to your brain. Your body won't burn fat until the glycogen is depleted. First it uses glycogen, then it uses fat as reserve.

This is absolutely right! I am proof that you CAN gain even when in a calorie deficit. I was counting calories and working my butt off and not losing. WHAT you eat is a lot more important than HOW much you eat. If I am eating too many carbs I just can not lose weight...even if I am under my calorie goal. Its taken a lot of trial and error to learn this.

You don't even track. Flip through your diary, lol.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited October 2016
    Options

You don't even track. Flip through your diary, lol.

Interesting. Also interesting to see only today tracked.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

The more dark, the better. I am eagerly awaiting my roasted brewing cocoa beans. I think I'll like that bitter bite of coffee, but with the flavor of chocolate instead. It's only about 10 calories a cup too. I have a milk frother and can make lattes with it. There's no caffeine (or very little). I might be indulging quite a bit as the weather turns colder.

I've been trying to cut down on caffeine, and it's a great alternative to black coffee. I agree that I don't need chocolate to be sweet and often tend to prefer the kinds (like the brewed beans or very dark chocolate, especially with nuts) that isn't at all. It's still addictive (except not really, you know what I mean). ;-)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".
    Search sweet poison in YouTube. It stooped me in my tracks.

@andreakreymborg welcome to MFP forums.

Sugar and processed carbs also makes my fuel gauge read EMPTY all the time.

I would be interested hear from anyone that can eat until they are full that can gain more 6 pounds in the next 6 months eating no sugar and no more than 50 grams of whole carbs daily.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you really want to know sugar makes you fat because of the chemical reaction that happens when it is processed by our livers. This process stops the I'm full message getting to our brain. So our brain sends out the message "eat more food and don't do anything we are starving".

I would be interested hear from anyone that can eat until they are full that can gain more 6 pounds in the next 6 months eating no sugar and no more than 50 grams of whole carbs daily.

Considering fats don't fill me up, I could easily do that. Just because you can't do something, doesn't mean others can't. I got fat from high amounts of fats in my diet... especially meat.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Considering fats don't fill me up, I could easily do that. Just because you can't do something, doesn't mean others can't. I got fat from high amounts of fats in my diet... especially meat.

Good point. One would have to eat under 100 grams of protein daily as well to keep from jacking up one's glucose levels.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Will, I gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks of sub 20 gram carb intake no sugar. I was struggling and failing to just keep to maintenance calories because portions are tiny and I absolutely need starches for satiety. Without them I can eat until there is no room in my stomach anymore, but still feel hungry somehow.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited October 2016
    Options

Raises hand! I gained weight eating until I was full eating less than 50 grams of net carbs a day.

I gained over 20 pounds eating until I was full during a stressful time because fat doesn't sate me and I can really pound down a lot of egg salad, cheese, and chicken legs.

Oh, and there was a concoction with whipped cream and jello and full fat cottage cheese I was fond of eating like crazy too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

Good point. One would have to eat under 100 grams of protein daily as well to keep from jacking up one's glucose levels.

Glucose level's aren't even a part of this conversation. And lets not even get into CKD or TKD diets for bulking as that is too advance for the discussion.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

I doubt I put on 20 pounds because I was eating too much protein.

I tend to think that since mayonnaise (in the egg salad), cheese, and whipping cream were big players in my most frequent indulgences, a good part of my calories were coming from fat.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

While that sounds like hell to me and I don't run pointless experiments on my body, here's an example of a LCHF day in the portions it would take for me to feel moderately full:

3 eggs, scrambled with milk and cheese, cooked in oil, 2 slices of bacon: 550 calories
    6 oz pork loin w/ roasted broccoli topped with parmesan: 450 calories
    2 oz cashews: 320 calories
    6 oz salmon w/ leeks, pan-fried in butter, served with wine: 650 calories

Total: 1970 calories, 46g carbs
    My TDEE: 1800 calories

Would gain about 8 lbs in 6 months if I ate like that every day. Now, cook with less fat, replace the bacon with a tortilla, skip the snack of cashews, and add rice with dinner? I'm under my TDEE and much more satiated... Which is why I eat the way I do.

But not if that WOE moved your TDEE moved higher as research indicates that would be expected.