So this happened..

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Don't panic cos you ate poor quality, cheap chocolates ...there's 73 calories in 1 ... you just ate 1053 calories which you could have used on other foods

Log it, move on

Since when is Ferrero Rocher "poor quality, cheap chocolate"?

Seriously... I love the stuff, and I'm super picky about my chocolate!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

Don't panic cos you ate poor quality, cheap chocolates ...there's 73 calories in 1 ... you just ate 1053 calories which you could have used on other foods

Log it, move on

I was wondering that too. It's one of the better ones.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Log it, move on

Without wanting to be one of those making sweeping generalisations about whole countries I'm going to anyway. Ferrero Rocher may be good quality to our US friends but here in the UK it's really equivalent to Dairy Milk just in fancier packaging. I did think they were super fancy in the 90s though when we only had them at Christmas!

Now the chocolatier over the road from my flat, THAT is the good stuff. And priced accordingly, which is bad news for my bank balance but good news for me not just switching to a diet exclusively made up of said chocolates.......

Milk Tray was a cut above Ferrero Rocher :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Log it, move on

Without wanting to be one of those making sweeping generalisations about whole countries I'm going to anyway. Ferrero Rocher may be good quality to our US friends but here in the UK it's really equivalent to Dairy Milk just in fancier packaging. I did think they were super fancy in the 90s though when we only had them at Christmas!

Now the chocolatier over the road from my flat, THAT is the good stuff. And priced accordingly, which is bad news for my bank balance but good news for me not just switching to a diet exclusively made up of said chocolates.......

+1

Any chocolate I can find in a 7-11 does not equate to good quality chocolate.

I'm not the 'typical' American when it comes to chocolate because 1) a good number of my family (grandparent generation) worked for Hershey, giving me lots of access to cheap chocolate (still better than what Hershey produces now), and 2) my dad used to make regular trips to Belgium and bring back 2-5lb boxes of chocolates from some of the best chocolatiers in that country at that time.

Guess which chocolate got eaten, and which was given out for everyone else to eat?

I still occasionally crave the chocolate covered hazelnuts dusted with cocoa powder that he used to bring back from a chocolatier that's no longer in business (I checked last time I was in Europe hoping I could find some). Those were awesome and the others I've tried since aren't quite as good. Pretty damn close, though.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Now the chocolatier over the road from my flat, THAT is the good stuff. And priced accordingly, which is bad news for my bank balance but good news for me not just switching to a diet exclusively made up of said chocolates.......[/quote]

You can't compare commercially produced chocolate with a chocolatier's chocolate. Compared to a chocolatier' s chocolate everything is bad.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    We actually do have lots of good chocolate in the US -- local artisan stuff and chocolates from all over the world. (Recommend me a few and I'll find it, probably.)

I think Ferrero Rocher is just newer to us. I never used to see it much, and now it's all over (you can buy single servings (one) at my Walgreens and CVS), for example.

I really love them, but I'm weak for any nut+chocolate combo and also like hazelnut particularly (WF has a delicious and quite low cal hazelnut gelato, speaking of). And I can like expensive chocolates and cheap ones too!

Yeah, yeah, I'm being defensive US stereotype, but I get tired of the idea that aren't exposed to and can't understand what really tasty foods are.

I don't think anyone was making negative stereotypes ..but every country has its own food idiosyncrasies...the UK has the Swiss and French chocolatiers to put us to shame unfortunately ..we also have different marketing programmes and positioning ...doesn't make us <stereotype warning> Food snobs
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Lol I have a box of them sitting right by me and ate 4 yesterday (which is a lot for my 1450cal maintanance). Ate so far 2 today and looking into eating more. Damn they are so tasty! And it is impossible to have just one!

I hear you! Thankfully they sell them individually packed so I can buy one and leave. You need some special kind of sorcery to resist a box. I love those things! Funny thing, though, I very rarely crave them specifically (or most sweets for that matter), but I sure enjoy them when I do!

OP, move on and don't worry. That's not how diabetes works.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »

Log it, move on

I was wondering that too. It's one of the better ones.

Log it, move on

Because *kitten* hazelnuts. Next time I want some chocolate but think to myself, I really wish it came with some weird tasting paste, I'll grab some. Also its milk chocolate so yeah...avoid. I might be biased though.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    meh.... you're fine!!! I didn't eat that much chocolate in one sitting and my diabetes did not go away.....
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    meh.... you're fine!!! I didn't eat that much chocolate in one sitting and my diabetes did not go away.....

Chuckle
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We actually do have lots of good chocolate in the US -- local artisan stuff and chocolates from all over the world. (Recommend me a few and I'll find it, probably.)

I think Ferrero Rocher is just newer to us. I never used to see it much, and now it's all over (you can buy single servings (one) at my Walgreens and CVS), for example.

I really love them, but I'm weak for any nut+chocolate combo and also like hazelnut particularly (WF has a delicious and quite low cal hazelnut gelato, speaking of). And I can like expensive chocolates and cheap ones too!

Yeah, yeah, I'm being defensive US stereotype, but I get tired of the idea that aren't exposed to and can't understand what really tasty foods are.

I don't think anyone was making negative stereotypes ..but every country has its own food idiosyncrasies...the UK has the Swiss and French chocolatiers to put us to shame unfortunately ..we also have different marketing programmes and positioning ...doesn't make us <stereotype warning> Food snobs

We get Swiss and French chocolates too, however, and have some very good local artisan stuff. The idea that Americans only eat Hersheys just isn't true. (I'm not actually bothered by this -- was worried the tone came out wrong before -- just discussing.)

I think a lot of times people see only the mass market stuff and assume that's all we have.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

Belgian chocolates are good too.