So this happened..

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I will eat Ferrero, I will eat Milk Tray, I will eat chocolatier chocolates. I have levels of food snobbery. I'll also eat dirty fried chicken at 3am outside a London club.

You probably couldn't pay me to eat Hersheys though. Tried it once on holiday when I was about 11. Scarred for life.

Same here. I don't like Hershey much (although I did go last Summer and made my own bar and that was tasty, but I added a bunch of stuff in it).

I love Kinder too. My favorites are still pretty much Godiva, Lindt, and Cote d'Or.

I like Ferrero but I'm a sucker for hazelnuts too. Now these though... so good.

suchard-mini-rocher-lait-box-of-16-192g.jpg
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind Kinder chocolate! "Chocolate". I'll cut a b*&%h for a Kinder Bueno.
    Buenos... shut up and take my.money!

I love chocolate. The only chocolate I've hated was some cheap *kitten* crap from something below dollar store quality. It wasn't sweet but wasn't dark, was crumbly but melted into weird globs with horrible mouth feel and tasted like ashtray smells. It looked really nice, though.

Cadbury chocolate from Australia, UK and Canada tastes different to me.

Can only comment on New Zealand and UK but they do taste different. Then the US bought Cadbury's and changed the recipe I think. I honestly don't eat enough chocolate regularly enough to really note the nuances. Plus, I'm more likely to go for Milka or Galaxy at the lower end of the market.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Went to the Hershey factory many, many years ago, because we were passing through Pennsylvania on our way elsewhere. Just the smell of their chocolate while on the tour made me want to hurl. :s

I'm Dutch, so give me real Dutch chocolate any time of the day! <3
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I will eat Ferrero, I will eat Milk Tray, I will eat chocolatier chocolates. I have levels of food snobbery. I'll also eat dirty fried chicken at 3am outside a London club.

You probably couldn't pay me to eat Hersheys though. Tried it once on holiday when I was about 11. Scarred for life.

In!

Hershey's tastes like clay. Like you were working on a pot and got hungry so decided to just have a little taste. I assume we can all agree that hershey's represents the bottom of the barrel.

Although that said I may have had worse in the form of the chocolate in a Kinder-egg, if you can even call that chocolate. That was like chocolate if chocoate was some sort of packaging material.

Sure, but was it packing material filled with chemicals?

Um...well, yeah.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sorry America. I love you so much that I became a citizen earlier this year, but Hershey's chocolate is really bad. Luckily I have a shop close by that sells British chocolate. And this is probably the reason why I'm on MFP.

3b7fpz7s2lqt.jpg

Being American I feel like I can somehow talk for all Americans and say, don't worry about it...we know its bad.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe you SHOULD believe this will cause diabetes if it will help you develop better habits!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You know, I like hazelnuts. I'm talking about the actual nuts. Anything hazelnut flavored? Some of the most vile and disgusting *puppy* I've ever had the misfortune of tasting. Hazelnut coffee? Actually makes me (almost) hurl. Nutella? Other bastardizations of (good?) chocolate?

giphy.gif
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the UK has lovely chocolate, but the commercial stuff I've had from the there had an awful texture and aftertaste. Seriously, Aero? No thanks.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    I'm sure the UK has lovely chocolate, but the commercial stuff I've had from the there had an awful texture and aftertaste. Seriously, Aero? No thanks.

Aero is Nestle, my least favourite of our commercially mad chocolate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

That's what I was thinking too. I'm sure the good stuff is good (we have good stuff too, I have to say, defensively), but I think liking one mass market sort over another is more about what you grew up with. There used to be a shop near my place that sold UK mass market stuff not normally sold in the US, and I get why someone would be nostalgic for it and miss it, but I don't get that it is inherently better than US stuff of similar ilk. To my taste it is not, tastes weird. (And yet I'll enjoy some peanut M&Ms, no problem (or Ferraro Roche), and also some high quality local or imported chocolate.)

And don't get me started on the weird candy my Russian prof brought back after a trip there, back in college. Ugh.

*UK goods shop is now a Southern US/French fusion bakery that would be dangerous if it had more convenient hours.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Isn't the thing with Hershey's that they treat the milk so it has a longer shelf life and that process makes it a bit sour/spoilt milk tasting. So for those of who eat non-soured milk chocolate Hershey's tastes justifiably dreadful?
  • snickerscharlie
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I like Hershey. Y'all can go pound sand with your pretentious chocolate brands.

Hershey's tastes like sand. With a little soap thrown in.

<runsawayquickly>

Don't make me put you on the ignore list....

Mr Goodbar is sent from the heavens.

And so, apparently, is Ferrero Roche. o:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcz_gVaEy-s
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Snobs gonna snob.

It's true. I am.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I eat most of the other pedestrian brands of chocolate. I just really dislike the taste of Hershey's for some reason. Just not worth the calories for me. :s

Unless it's melted and...ohnevermind. ;)
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's any truth to the idea that the formulas of different brands are different in different countries. (different!) So a Hershey bar might taste different here than there. I know there was a huge demand for Mexican Coca-Cola here for a while. I like Hershey. It's not gourmet, but it's sweet, creamy and melts well for a s'more.