Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

Don't panic cos you ate poor quality, cheap chocolates ...there's 73 calories in 1 ... you just ate 1053 calories which you could have used on other foods

Log it, move on

Since when is Ferrero Rocher "poor quality, cheap chocolate"?

Since forever :)

Sorry ..personally I'm not partial...when I was growing up they were the cheapest boxed chocolates and are a little bit of a joke down to the appalling kitsch ambassador adverts that we still enjoy quoting badly

If you look at the ingredients, Quality chocolate you'd be looking for high cocoa solids content above 70% and no use of vegetable oil in place of cocoa butter because vegetable oil is cheaper.

Ingredients. MILK chocolate 30% (sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, skimmed MILK powder, concentrated BUTTER, emulsifier: lecithins (SOYA), vanillin), HAZELNUTS (28.5%), sugar, palm oil, WHEAT flour, whey powder (MILK), fat-reduced cocoa, emulsifier: lecithins (SOYA), raising agent (sodium bicarbonate), salt, vanillin

Who cares if they're some of the cheaper ones? They taste heavenly! Hazelnuts and chocolate? SOLD!

Personally I'm not a chocolate snob (or a food snob for that matter). My sister has a job that sends her traveling all over the world and she always brings me something special like handcrafted high quality chocolates, teas, all kinds of fancy foodstuff which I really enjoy. Does not change the fact that Ferrero Rocher tastes like a trip to the unicorn land to me, but then again I have a weakness for hazelnut chocolatey stuff, which is also why a full jar of Nutella will never make it to my shelf again. I'll stick with the single serve packs, thank you.

As I said personal preference, they taste like meh to me
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Don't panic cos you ate poor quality, cheap chocolates ...there's 73 calories in 1 ... you just ate 1053 calories which you could have used on other foods

Log it, move on

Without wanting to be one of those making sweeping generalisations about whole countries I'm going to anyway. Ferrero Rocher may be good quality to our US friends but here in the UK it's really equivalent to Dairy Milk just in fancier packaging. I did think they were super fancy in the 90s though when we only had them at Christmas!

Now the chocolatier over the road from my flat, THAT is the good stuff. And priced accordingly, which is bad news for my bank balance but good news for me not just switching to a diet exclusively made up of said chocolates.......

Milk Tray was a cut above Ferrero Rocher :)

And the Milk Tray man was way more fun than the Ambassador. (Though I always preferred Terry's All Gold anyway).
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Log it, move on

Without wanting to be one of those making sweeping generalisations about whole countries I'm going to anyway. Ferrero Rocher may be good quality to our US friends but here in the UK it's really equivalent to Dairy Milk just in fancier packaging. I did think they were super fancy in the 90s though when we only had them at Christmas!

Now the chocolatier over the road from my flat, THAT is the good stuff. And priced accordingly, which is bad news for my bank balance but good news for me not just switching to a diet exclusively made up of said chocolates.......

Milk Tray was a cut above Ferrero Rocher :)

And the Milk Tray man was way more fun than the Ambassador. (Though I always preferred Terry's All Gold anyway).

Truth ...but bleurgh to Terry's
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I was being mostly tongue in cheek by the way. 10 years ago I might have been more serious but I think nearly everyone is better educated on what constitutes "good" food and what's cheap but tasty.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I was being mostly tongue in cheek by the way. 10 years ago I might have been more serious but I think nearly everyone is better educated on what constitutes "good" food and what's cheap but tasty.

Chips, curry sauce, mushy peas...food of the gods

• Sued0nim
    Options
    I will eat Ferrero, I will eat Milk Tray, I will eat chocolatier chocolates. I have levels of food snobbery. I'll also eat dirty fried chicken at 3am outside a London club.

You probably couldn't pay me to eat Hersheys though. Tried it once on holiday when I was about 11. Scarred for life.

In!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I kind of love that this thread has become an argument over how good a particular type of chocolate actually is.

I'm trying very very very hard to stay out of it :wink:

(Swiss girl here... there's NO way in hell anything Ferrero does even qualifies as 'decent'...)
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

Log it, move on

Since forever :)

Have to agree. Overly sweet c**p. I don't understand why people like them
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I will eat Ferrero, I will eat Milk Tray, I will eat chocolatier chocolates. I have levels of food snobbery. I'll also eat dirty fried chicken at 3am outside a London club.

You probably couldn't pay me to eat Hersheys though. Tried it once on holiday when I was about 11. Scarred for life.

In!

Hershey's tastes like clay. Like you were working on a pot and got hungry so decided to just have a little taste. I assume we can all agree that hershey's represents the bottom of the barrel.

Although that said I may have had worse in the form of the chocolate in a Kinder-egg, if you can even call that chocolate. That was like chocolate if chocoate was some sort of packaging material.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

In!

Hershey's tastes like clay. Like you were working on a pot and got hungry so decided to just have a little taste. I assume we can all agree that hershey's represents the bottom of the barrel.

Although that said I may have had worse in the form of the chocolate in a Kinder-egg, if you can even call that chocolate. That was like chocolate if chocoate was some sort of packaging material.

Nope. Years ago in what was then East Germany I bought something that purported to be chocolate. Had about as much chocolate flavor as wet cardboard. And the texture was even worse than the taste.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

In!

Sure, but was it packing material filled with chemicals?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind Kinder chocolate! "Chocolate". I'll cut a b*&%h for a Kinder Bueno.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind Kinder chocolate! "Chocolate". I'll cut a b*&%h for a Kinder Bueno.
    Buenos... shut up and take my.money!

I love chocolate. The only chocolate I've hated was some cheap *kitten* crap from something below dollar store quality. It wasn't sweet but wasn't dark, was crumbly but melted into weird globs with horrible mouth feel and tasted like ashtray smells. It looked really nice, though.

Cadbury chocolate from Australia, UK and Canada tastes different to me.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    So long as we can all agree that Hershey's has no business calling their product chocolate.