Obesity. Are you just lazy and dumb?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    food banks and food desert areas are huge contributors to the disparity gap in regards to obesity and health. This is way beyond lazy and dumb, and it makes me so angry that people get stigmatized because of their backgrounds. I actually want to integrate health into social work to help families break through the barriers.

Yup, one of the posted studies references food deserts as a contributing factor.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    food banks and food desert areas are huge contributors to the disparity gap in regards to obesity and health. This is way beyond lazy and dumb, and it makes me so angry that people get stigmatized because of their backgrounds. I actually want to integrate health into social work to help families break through the barriers.

Yup, one of the posted studies references food deserts as a contributing factor.

Thanks! It's hard to read this stuff on my phone, so I'll get to them once I have access to a computer. I find this information interesting yet unfortunate.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Necessarily lazy and dumb? No.

Prioritizing other things over their health? Yeah.

Not necessarily.

You absolutely cannot look at someone's body and tell what their priorities are.

That 300lb person might have already lost 150 and still be losing.

True. But I think it's safe to assume that at the time they became obese they were prioritizing things other than their health. Doesn't make them dumb or lazy, they may have had good reasons.

In many cases definitely but I'd still say not in all cases, and so I disagree that this is a safe assumption.

In fact I'm willing to wager that there are multiple people on this website who have made diligent efforts to prioritize their health and who were obese as a child and are still obese now.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Necessarily lazy and dumb? No.

Prioritizing other things over their health? Yeah.

Not necessarily.

You absolutely cannot look at someone's body and tell what their priorities are.

That 300lb person might have already lost 150 and still be losing.

True. But I think it's safe to assume that at the time they became obese they were prioritizing things other than their health. Doesn't make them dumb or lazy, they may have had good reasons.

In many cases definitely but I'd still say not in all cases, and so I disagree that this is a safe assumption.

In fact I'm willing to wager that there are multiple people on this website who have made diligent efforts to prioritize their health and who were obese as a child and are still obese now.

This is probably going to sound harsh but if someone prioritizes their health but is not healthy (or on their way to being healthy) wouldn't that mean they are ineffective? And if ineffective wouldn't that mean they are either not putting in the required effort (lazy) or they are taking the wrong approaches (maybe not dumb, but ignorant)?

That is why I choose to assume they just aren't prioritizing health...because if they are it's hard not to come to some judgmental conclusion.