• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1- Rest Day
    11/2- 4 miles solo plus 1 mile with Stella
    11/3- 0.8 miles with Stella (AM)+5 miles lunchtime run
    11/4-5 miles AM + 1 mile with Stella

exercise.png

@kristinegift- Running in the fog with a headlamp is kind of freaky anyway, let alone with creepy people! Good job getting some miles in anyway.

@greenolivetree - Hope all is okay with your hubby.

I am somehow late to the party on the conversation about swimming with vodka and lemonade, so I really have no clue what you are all talking about, but count me in!

Morning run was a good one. It was dark and drizzly, but still really warm for November. I did not wear my headlamp because I was expecting the sunrise to provide some light after the first mile or two, but it never did happen due to the clouds. So I was pretty slow, but that was not a bad thing. My hamstring felt the best it has in quite a while. I did 5 miles solo, then returned home to grab Stella for my final mile. She was very happy this morning.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Speaking of headlamps and weather conditions....I really HATE running in rain with a headlamp....having raindrops 6 inches from my face illuminated, and blocking my view, really sucks.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    01/11 3 miles - lovely bright morning, long may it last
    02/11 3 miles
    03/11 3 miles

exercise.png

@nikkiwolf and @Karllundy - I love both you tickers.

@07KatieP13 - I'm with you on the cold. I really suffer when the sun is beating on me!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    We got home at 11:30 last night from ER :o I was up at 6 to go pick up our son from his grandparents for school. I'm gonna run tonight! Really! Ok, well, assuming I get out of my usual Thursday night music practice. Who needs to practice? Ha. Hubby is okay, there's just unfortunately not much to be done right now. 7 weeks until we go to Mayo. :'( Thanks to everyone who has expressed concern and well wishes :) I'll be back to catch up on everything else from my desktop at work. Lol
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Speaking of headlamps and weather conditions....I really HATE running in rain with a headlamp....having raindrops 6 inches from my face illuminated, and blocking my view, really sucks.

Snow is even worse.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Snow is even worse.

I'm new-ish to trail running (and fairly inexperienced as a runner anyway). What I find in the fall is that I have to be so much more careful because leaves hide sticks, rocks, etc. Snow will do the same thing, of course. I do plan to put some screws in my trail shoes for traction in ice.

Basically will be some screws with a raised hex head that prodrudes slightly from the head of the screw. I'll have to measure my shoes, but I'm thinking 3/8" or 1/2" will be the right size to be long enough to stay stable and solidly in place, but not so long that they will poke through the sole and harm my feet. I'll make holes in the bottom of the shoe for screws at areas where the shoes own traction / sole sticks out furthest. I'll try to have several of them in the shoes. That means I'll probably need to buy another pair of trail runners for when it isn't slick... or take the screws out so long as they don't make holes so deep that they take on water (which would be too deep anyway because that means they poke me).
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

Snow is even worse.

so true.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm new-ish to trail running (and fairly inexperienced as a runner anyway). What I find in the fall is that I have to be so much more careful because leaves hide sticks, rocks, etc. Snow will do the same thing, of course. I do plan to put some screws in my trail shoes for traction in ice.

Running in Minnesota, there was only one time all winter last year when I had to resort to screwshoes. It was on a trail the day after a thaw & refreeze. I keep a pair of my retired shoes around just for this purpose.

I'm really looking forward to running in snow this winter! LOVE IT!

I thought about getting up early to run before work today, but it was nearly 1am when I thought about it and decided that I'd be better off with an hour more sleep. I might get in a few miles today or tomorrow morning before we head to SoDak, but no big deal if I don't. Kody is damn near bouncing off the walls as he sees me gathering up my pheasant hunting gear. He knows what's coming!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Well, work can go and just *kitten* themselves! Stay here and give us yays instead. :D

I like the sound of that job!

@greenolivetree Heres hoping you have an amazing run!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I am somehow late to the party on the conversation about swimming with vodka and lemonade, so I really have no clue what you are all talking about, but count me in!
    Our, um @shanaber and @BEERRUNNER ideas for the swimming portion of a sprint triathlon. I say we move it to the beach with some cabana boys, men runners. :smiley:
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I followed this guidance pretty much to the letter when making screw shoes. I used shorter screws up near the toes where the midsole is thinner (I think this is mentioned as an option in the linked article). Like @7lenny7 said, best to do this with shoes that are out of your regular rotation.

I have a crushed gravel path near home that gets ice build up in late winter. Screw shoes work well on that hard-packed snow that has turned to ice, and also on the re-freeze days (usually in later winter). They don't make much of a difference in fresh, loose snow.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    November Goal - 150 Miles

11/1 - 5.02 - Easy
    11/2 - 4.49 - Easy
    11/3 - 6.49 - Easy

Total - 16 of 150

Thankfully fall weather returned this morning, instead of 72 degrees it was 52. The saying around Kansas is if you don't like the weather wait an hour, it will change. Our 7 day forecast says everyday will be a high of 70ish, and a low of 50ish so I'll hopefully get a lot of great morning runs in over the next few days.

All the talk of do tri's the past few days wasn't good for me. I've always wanted to do a half Ironman and started looking at the IM calendar of events to see if there was one close. There use to be one in Kansas several years ago that a few friends did but for some reason that one is no longer going on. The closest to me is in Boulder, but i'm a flatlander and think i'd die in the elevation. A couple in Texas but who in their right mind would want to do that in the Texas heat, even in the spring. Fortunately nothing fit my liking so I'm sticking to just running next year :)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »

All the talk of do tri's the past few days wasn't good for me. I've always wanted to do a half Ironman and started looking at the IM calendar of events to see if there was one close. There use to be one in Kansas several years ago that a few friends did but for some reason that one is no longer going on. The closest to me is in Boulder, but i'm a flatlander and think i'd die in the elevation. A couple in Texas but who in their right mind would want to do that in the Texas heat, even in the spring. Fortunately nothing fit my liking so I'm sticking to just running next year :)

I agree Texas heat is horrible. I wanted to do the Hotter than Hell Hundred for a while. maybe I will with some (great deal of ) training.

You are overlooking the possibility of finding one in Oklahoma. Tulsa area has a few, route 66 sprint tri? Not too far from you.

Love that everyone is considering a bit of cross training with a purpose. See what you started @karllundy !
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I agree Texas heat is horrible. I wanted to do the Hotter than Hell Hundred for a while. maybe I will with some (great deal of ) training.

You are overlooking the possibility of finding one in Oklahoma. Tulsa area has a few, route 66 sprint tri? Not too far from you.

Love that everyone is considering a bit of cross training with a purpose. See what you started @karllundy !

Bwahahahahaha!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @HeatherMN @AnnyisOK and anyone else looking for alternatives to swim tri's:
    This looks like a "nice" event with kayaking instead of swimming. And for the duathlon fans, there also a fun run-cycle-run event in the UK >:)

I took a learn-to-swim class a few years back to learn the proper technique, but it was organised extremely poorly. 5 evenings à 45min, of which the first 10min were warm up, then the teacher explained one part of the technique (leg stroke, arm stroke, breathing), and then we were always supposed to do laps one person at a time so she could watch and correct. With ~12 people, that meant you got maybe three turns per lesson; and since only one lane of the pool was reserved for us, the rest of the time we had to stand around and "learn by observation". Still, maybe I should give it another try this winter, just practising what I remember on my own, if I can find a pool around here with convenient opening hours...

@greenolivetree Good to hear your husband is okay; hope you get a chance to run a bit to recover from the ER visit!

--

My new Saucony Kinvaras arrived yesterday! I probably won't get a chance to run today, so I took them out for a little trial run yesterday. So far, I like them, but it will require some more tinkering to get the tension of the laces right - always takes me a while to adjust them correctly when I get new shoes.
    In any case, aren't they pretty? ;)
    tr768w8pl5oj.jpg

NmGlp1.png

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 and @Elise4270

Here are the exercises. Some are to stretch the hamstrings, some are to help with hip flexor mobility and glute strength.

vui0xika7ak8.jpg

5ousdgob2851.jpg

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_

Those are the exact same shoes I just got...same color and everything. I love mine too...just wish I could run in them and not just "elliptical." Have fun!!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian I may put the tri on my "someday" list, but right now, my focus is completely on marathon training. One thing at a time!

@katharmonic Having a good bike seat makes all the difference, and it's not about the level of cushion. My husband bought me a women's specific Surfas seat and I love it. My tush doesn't start feeling it until 14 miles vs. 3 miles before, and I usually only get on my bike about 3x per year right now. I think I'd do even better if I rode more often.

@BeeerRunner I had trouble with my glutes firing, too. My PT had me do the same exercises that @Elise4270 mentioned. An additional one was to lay on my stomach and lift one leg at a time, focusing on squeezing the glute, then the hamstring before I lifted. She also made me do bird dogs. It's made a huge difference.

@ereck44 Part of the reason I'm not going for a tri is because I also dislike having my head submerged. I blame it on a horrible swim instructor as a kid. She threw us in the deep end the first night, with empty milk jugs under our arms (caps on). When we reached the shallow end, she dunked our heads under water without warning. I'm traumatized for life and this happened when I was about 5 or 6. *shudder*

@ddmom0811 The kayak events around here usually have an option to rent the kayak for the race. For practice, we have lots of local parks and outdoor stores (REI) that rent them, too. One wouldn't have to buy one until after they've tried it out and decided they wanted to do it enough to justify the cost.

@MNLittleFinn Do you wear a hat/visor with your headlamp when it's raining or snowing? For me, I find it helps, as long as the cap is dense enough that the light doesn't create a halo that messes with my eyes. Black brimmed caps seem to work best for me.

@7lenny7 Where in SoDak are you going pheasant hunting? My mom's side of the family used to do a family reunion on pheasant opener weekend in SoDak every year. Sadly, it's stopped because of family feuds and conflicting schedules. Even though I didn't personally hunt, it was always one of my favorite times of the year - we ate well, rode horses, went shopping, did crafts, and laughed a TON.

@_nikkiwolf_ That Scottish event looks awesome, but obviously would be a *long* time down the road. Maybe when I'm retired and can devote all of my time to training and travel!

For those of you discussing footing while running outside in the winter, I recommend YakTrax or something similar. No need to ruin a pair of shoes! I rarely need to use them, but they're sure handy when I do. I got a generic version at Menard's for about $9.

Last night I met up with friends and ran 3.1 miles. Pace was 11:32, which was good for the mix of runners we had, the hills, and the dark. It felt awesome; I SO love this time of year! We had a good time chatting, then hit up 10K Brewing in Anoka, MN. Good beers, but they were out of the one I really wanted (Sweet Vanilla Oatmeal Stout). I ended up having their Amber Ale, which was pretty good, though not as dark as I was craving.

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ You get the award for the prettiest shoes I've seen all year! Serious shoe envy going on....

As for all this tri talk.... I haven't been in a pool in 23 years!

@MNLittleFinn I wear glasses so I rarely run in rain. I wish they make wipers for glasses :-D

@kristinegift I never thought about fog messing with GPS!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @HeatherMN @AnnyisOK and anyone else looking for alternatives to swim tri's:
    This looks like a "nice" event with kayaking instead of swimming. And for the duathlon fans, there also a fun run-cycle-run event in the UK >:)

That second one looks great in a crazy "I'm going to die someday - why not now" kind of way. I'd need a few years/decades to build up to it, but it's going on the bucket list!