Options

Replies

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    5512bf wrote: »

All the talk of do tri's the past few days wasn't good for me. I've always wanted to do a half Ironman and started looking at the IM calendar of events to see if there was one close. There use to be one in Kansas several years ago that a few friends did but for some reason that one is no longer going on. The closest to me is in Boulder, but i'm a flatlander and think i'd die in the elevation. A couple in Texas but who in their right mind would want to do that in the Texas heat, even in the spring. Fortunately nothing fit my liking so I'm sticking to just running next year :)

I agree Texas heat is horrible. I wanted to do the Hotter than Hell Hundred for a while. maybe I will with some (great deal of ) training.

You are overlooking the possibility of finding one in Oklahoma. Tulsa area has a few, route 66 sprint tri? Not too far from you.

Love that everyone is considering a bit of cross training with a purpose. See what you started @karllundy !

There is actually a half iron distance race called the Redman in OKC I believe. It's been held for several years in September, which is still pretty warm by the time you'd do the run. I guess my feeling is that if I'm going to do one, I'd want to say it was an Ironman event.

*edit* after looking it up it's actually a bit longer than an Half IM. 4k Swim, 120k Bike & 30k Run
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @HeatherMN I don't normally wear a hat, except for my winter hats, so no brim for me.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    11/3 4.65

Total 4.65/100

Finally open for the month! I was hoping to get 5 miles in but 4:30 in the morning is super early and I run much slowly than later in the day. LOL

@HeatherMN Menards might be my parents favorite store. I swear they are there every weekend. My dad usually gets a Menards gift card for Christmas.

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Oh boy new shoes. Is that the 7? It looks like the 7. I hear they fixed the locking system so now they fit a bit better. I have the 6 but it's kinda tight, unless you run in them. Like they can't stand me not running in them. I'll certainly get the 7 at one point. Either that or I'm jumping on the Hoka train if I find any good deals but hard around Europe

Speaking of Saucony, I just remembered this video of Molly Huddle since they sponsor her
    http://www.flotrack.org/video/1003030-workout-wednesday-molly-huddle-7x-mile

Date.......Distance.....Type

November 1 - 11.8km - Easy+ST
    November 2 - 11.6km - Easy
    November 3 - 9.4 km - Easy+Drills

Ticker seems broken again 32.9
    exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut) 1:31:53
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Got a question for ya'all. My Mom is coming up this weekend, and she said she'd go on a 6 mile run with me. Here's the thing, My Saturday run is actually scheduled to be 10 miles. Do I ask her to join me for the first 6, or run the 4 and have her join me for the second half? I'm thinking run with her first, but wondering what ya'all think.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Got a question for ya'all. My Mom is coming up this weekend, and she said she'd go on a 6 mile run with me. Here's the thing, My Saturday run is actually scheduled to be 10 miles. Do I ask her to join me for the first 6, or run the 4 and have her join me for the second half? I'm thinking run with her first, but wondering what ya'all think.

I do that with my husband and my son. 6 miles is my husband's max distance and my son rides his bike. Then, they hang out while I finish whatever I have left.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Good gracious I'm late to the party and already 11 pages behind. Tested out my leg today with a slow two miles and did great. I'm going to add running back into my regime but keep things short and slow for the rest of the month and then start setting goals again in December. I'm going to try for 6-10 miles a week so I guess I could say at least 30 for the month and I'll increase from there.

Got two books, Anatomy for Runners and 80/20 (since it was getting so much praise), and I think they will help me out and rebalance my running. I really want to start training for marathons next year so I'd better do it right so I don't hurt myself again.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »

I am somehow late to the party on the conversation about swimming with vodka and lemonade, so I really have no clue what you are all talking about, but count me in!
    Our, um @shanaber and @BEERRUNNER ideas for the swimming portion of a sprint triathlon. I say we move it to the beach with some cabana boys, men runners. :smiley:

I like the way you think @Elise4270 !! Lol
  • Kristen_DeMichele
    Options
    NOVEMBER CHALLENGE: DAY 3
    2 MILES-
    MONTHLY TOTAL- 8 MILES OUT OF 60
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Got two books, Anatomy for Runners and 80/20 (since it was getting so much praise), and I think they will help me out and rebalance my running. I really want to start training for marathons next year so I'd better do it right so I don't hurt myself again.

80/20 really helped me to slow it down. I've been noticing a lot of difference in my running since I switched to HR based training, and working on being good about 80/20 split.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I wear glasses so I rarely run in rain. I wish they make wipers for glasses :-D

Yes, they need this. Last year around Halloween, I did a rundead 5K dodging zombies. It was at night, on a golf course, and raining pretty steadily. They originally planned to determine the living from the dead at the end of the course with a blacklight to see the powder the zombies had put on their hands. But because of the rain, the powder wasn't going to stay anyway. Needless to say, I ran a PW (personal worst) for time partly because I had to stop every 30s and wipe off my glasses. :( Otherwise, it was kinda fun.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @HeatherNM ya, that's an unfortunate way to teach kids how to swim. I swear my mother tried to drown me on several occasions, in public. I can swim now, so good luck drowning me now b!

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I kind of want to try these out, see if the compression helps with my kind of stiff/sore calves...and it's an excuse to get another pair of smartwool.....

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/113861/smartwool-phd-run-grad-compression-ul-socks
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I kind of want to try these out, see if the compression helps with my kind of stiff/sore calves...and it's an excuse to get another pair of smartwool.....

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/113861/smartwool-phd-run-grad-compression-ul-socks

I use the CEP recovery socks and they do help. If you can stand to wear socks to bed they really help. Typically I'll wear them after long runs for a few hours when I'm lounging around the house, but if I'm really training hard I'll wear them to bed as well after long mid week runs of 10+ miles. I've tried the sleeves to run in and they don't help, but the recovery socks are a definite thumbs up from me.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I have some CEP compression sleeves. I like them currently I can't wear them, I think my calves have gotten to big and I need the up size. If i run in them, they are too tight and I get calf cramps. But that's before surgery..... So?

Anyhow- yes they are worth having.
  • Elise4270
    edited November 2016
    Options
    November walking miles

1---6.24  walk
    2---travel/pt/doc
    3---3.1 walk , 25 minute swim. +Another walk- I'm ansy(sp?).

I ran a short distance today chasing a Snorlax.... was nice, but realized the hip is still too weak to keep at it. Butt I can feel my glutes working. :smile:

I would have swam longer but if I can smell your stink in a pool, I'm out. It's not bath time folks.

9.34/50+

Not Advisable races:
    11/05/16 Jenks Half 5k Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (DNF)

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    November goal: 75 miles
    11/1: 3 miles (m)
    11/2: Rest Day
    11/3: 3 miles

My Total/November: 6 miles
    Mike's Total: 3 miles

Was up late last night watching the Cubbies win, so I got up late this morning. I went out alone today for my run at around 9 am. I still had a bit of heaviness in my left leg but no more soreness. I managed 3 miles, but it was difficult. I just keep telling myself that I just have to keep going. At one point, my phone rang in my pocket and my "Go Cubs, Go!" ringtone actually helped give me a little boost to help me keep going. Some days it feels so great and that makes these rough ones worth the effort.

@greenolivetree Oh, the ER can be the worst. I'm happy to hear hubby is doing ok. Hope you have a great run!

@kristinegift Lovely pictures! Fog and creepy people - not a good combination. It never really occurred to me that fog would mess with the GPS, but it makes sense. I hope the weather is good for your race!

@Orphia Good luck on Sunday!

@ddmom0811 That was some game, huh? I agree that a tri with rowing might be a fun alternative. I'm not much of a swimmer either.

@_nikkiwolf_ Those are pretty shoes! I love my Newtons, but they are not attractive. I am coveting the Newton Chicago special edition ones, even though I have not run the Chicago marathon (or any marathon, for that matter); I still dig the shoes.

@HeatherMN Sweet Vanilla Oatmeal Stout sounds amazing; it would have been my first choice, too. Now that I know it exists I will have to keep an eye out for it.

@MNLittleFinn When I run with Mike, he usually starts with me and will knock off early if I am going longer than he wants to go. That works out well for us.

@Azercord I am interested in how you like Anatomy for Runners.

Have a great day everyone!

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @lissadecker I also have the anatomy for runners. I like it, don't use it enough though.

@Stoshew71 On the glute firing subject- Paw backs come to mind. I've only toyed with doing them. Usually on walks inthe loose gravel though. Anyone else try it? @skippygirlsmom figure Skip would be doing them in track/cc?
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Date .. Miles .. Total
    11/01 .. 05.6 .. 05.6
    11/02 .. Rest
    11/03 .. 06.5 .. 12.1

Went out to run late morning and was greeted with warmer temperature to remind me why I should not procrastinate...

exercise.png

maC4m7.png

I must admit, updating the ticker from TickerFactory is simpler...