Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    @Jo-- you can wear old Navy jeggings? I thought they sounded like a good idea, but they didn't fit around the waist. Looked like they were supposed to be maternity or something...but most of their stuff fits me like that these days, not the older stuff from years ago
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @Jo-- you can wear old Navy jeggings? I thought they sounded like a good idea, but they didn't fit around the waist. Looked like they were supposed to be maternity or something...but most of their stuff fits me like that these days, not the older stuff from years ago

I can. I'll check the fit and size when I get home. I also 100% wear a belt with all panta. It's a must.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    @psuLemon :( I'd say eat some ice cream- always makes you feel better- but well- that's not going to help you or me. LMAO.

womp womp. I feel the same way about my pants. ALL THE FLUFF is keeping the clothes tight. I'm debating going to buy new pants- but I'm trying to hold out- in 15 pounds- they SHOULD fit. sigh. #strugglebusisreal

Chocolate marshmellow and Klondikes are what got me into this mess... and a pregnant wife.... super nauseated and can only eat a few things (ice cream is one of those things)... Ironically, she has lost 16 lbs so far. I'm jealous, ha.

Well it being pretty much summer, do you have dresses?

OMG! Have you had the caramel pretzel? I love those. I must try the chocolate marshmallow!

Funny - the talk of keeping bigger clothes. I did a closet purge a few months ago but I kept 3 pairs of jeans and 2 yoga pants that are a tad big because I was thinking about bulking again - before I even finished cutting!

I just finished the first week of thinner, leaner, stronger. I like it but am a little worried. Bench press once a week?!?! It just seems wrong.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    @psuLemon :( I'd say eat some ice cream- always makes you feel better- but well- that's not going to help you or me. LMAO.

womp womp. I feel the same way about my pants. ALL THE FLUFF is keeping the clothes tight. I'm debating going to buy new pants- but I'm trying to hold out- in 15 pounds- they SHOULD fit. sigh. #strugglebusisreal

Chocolate marshmellow and Klondikes are what got me into this mess... and a pregnant wife.... super nauseated and can only eat a few things (ice cream is one of those things)... Ironically, she has lost 16 lbs so far. I'm jealous, ha.

OMG! Have you had the caramel pretzel? I love those. I must try the chocolate marshmallow!

Funny - the talk of keeping bigger clothes. I did a closet purge a few months ago but I kept 3 pairs of jeans and 2 yoga pants that are a tad big because I was thinking about bulking again - before I even finished cutting!

I just finished the first week of thinner, leaner, stronger. I like it but am a little worried. Bench press once a week?!?! It just seems wrong.

Isn't it a split program? You will have a whole chest day with multiple types of bench press and only do it once a week? Or at least that's what I heard.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Isn't it a split program? You will have a whole chest day with multiple types of bench press and only do it once a week? Or at least that's what I heard.

Right - I was doing bench press 3 times a week before. It is just a little bit of a struggle to get my head around doing it once a week - but lots of variations on the same day. Oh and chest, triceps, calves day was pretty brutal!
  • sardelsa
    edited May 2017
    Options

Right - I was doing bench press 3 times a week before. It is just a little bit of a struggle to get my head around doing it once a week - but lots of variations on the same day. Oh and chest, triceps, calves day was pretty brutal!

Ahh I see, going from full body to split can be a bit of a transition. I haven't done a real split in so long, that feeling of smokin' the muscle until it's done...sometimes I do miss it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

I am a fairly equal opportunity Klondike eater. But the Chocolate Marshmallow was ice cream.. I realized I left that last part off.

I am starting to share similar concerns with BLS. While there is bench 2x a week (in the four day), I am thinking the frequency is lacking since most things are 1x a week (it's an upper/lower, but core lifts are only once a week).

I do like the simplicity of the program and the progression scheme, so it's definitely been on my head on whether to switch or not.

My program is, I am still seeing noob gains but am debating if I am leaving anything on the table.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I am a fairly equal opportunity Klondike eater. But the Chocolate Marshmallow was ice cream.. I realized I left that last part off.

I am starting to share similar concerns with BLS. While there is bench 2x a week (in the four day), I am thinking the frequency is lacking since most things are 1x a week (it's an upper/lower, but core lifts are only once a week).

I do like the simplicity of the program and the progression scheme, so it's definitely been on my head on whether to switch or not.

My program is, I am still seeing noob gains but am debating if I am leaving anything on the table.

This would be why I went to a slight variation on BBB in 5/3/1. Instead of 5x10@50-60%, I do 5x3@90% using the less boring variation. It basically gives me the following scheme:
    Sunday: 5/3/1+Jokers Bench, 90% OHP
    Tuesday: 5/3/1+Jokers Squat, 90% Deadlift
    Thursday: 5/3/1+Jokers OHP, 90% Bench
    Saturday: 5/3/1+Jokers Deadlift, 90% Squat

Keeps the intensity relatively high throughout, each lift twice per week, and has been doing wonders for my total.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Bulk update: still creeping up at around 0.4-0.5 lbs./week, so if things hold that pace, I'll reach my cutoff weight in about 12 weeks. This works well, as it gives me four more programming cycles before I have to worry about my combination cut/1RM test/deload week.

My girlfriend has been busy for a couple of weeks, so we haven't been able to do proper progress pics. Random lolflex picture that I took for a Facebook thread:
    vqn2j68qm0a6.jpg
  • bioklutz
    Options

Interesting. I had been debating TLS or BLS. It sounds like TLS might have a little more lower body work and BLS might have a little more upper body work?

I am also doing the 4 day split:
    Chest/Triceps/Calves
    Back/Butt/Biceps/ABS
    Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Butt/ABS

It has me doing squats twice a week. Deadlift once, but RDL the next time. I am going to do it as written for the first 8 weeks. If I feel like I am not progressing I might just add a bench press to shoulder/calves day. I am tapped out for any gains on bench from my previous program so I really do need to do something different.

@Gallowmere1984 - Truly awesome deltoids!
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2017
    Options

Interesting. I had been debating TLS or BLS. It sounds like TLS might have a little more lower body work and BLS might have a little more upper body work?

Chest/Triceps/Calves
    Back/Butt/Biceps/ABS
    Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Butt/ABS

It has me doing squats twice a week. Deadlift once, but RDL the next time. I am going to do it as written for the first 8 weeks. If I feel like I am not progressing I might just add a bench press to shoulder/calves day. I am tapped out for any gains on bench from my previous program so I really do need to do something different.

I really need to finish reading TLS. It does appear TLS is more lower focus and BLS is more upper focus.

I was just thinking, one thing that you can do is switch the accessory days. So on Chest days, do the shoulder accessories. And on the Shoulder days, do chest accessories. When I worked with Sidesteel on his version of the Wendler program, we did this.

BLS is set up like

Chest/Calves
    Back/Biceps/Abs
    Upper Chest/Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Abs

I also wonder if this is addressed in Beyond BLS.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Chest/Triceps/Calves
    Back/Butt/Biceps/ABS
    Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Butt/ABS

I really need to finish reading TLS. It does appear TLS is more lower focus and BLS is more upper focus.

I was just thinking, one thing that you can do is switch the accessory days. So on Chest days, do the shoulder accessories. And on the Shoulder days, do chest accessories. When I worked with Sidesteel on his version of the Wendler program, we did this.

BLS is set up like

Chest/Calves
    Back/Biceps/Abs
    Legs/Abs

Beyond BLS is more focused on periodizing training, undulating volumes, periodized nutrition, etc. It's meant to kind of be a bit of a guide through the often frustrating early intermediate phase. The newbie gains are gone, but it hasn't been long enough in the game for most people to wrap their head around plateaus and stalls, etc.

The average lifespan in strength training is something like 3-5 years, which makes sense as that's where progress slows to a crawl and most people either spin their wheels aimlessly, or quit altogether. BBLS is meant to help through that stage.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Looking awesome @Gallowmere1984 !
  • psuLemon
    Options

Chest/Triceps/Calves
    Back/Butt/Biceps/ABS
    Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Butt/ABS

BLS is set up like

Chest/Calves
    Back/Biceps/Abs
    Legs/Abs

Beyond BLS is more focused on periodizing training, undulating volumes, periodized nutrition, etc. It's meant to kind of be a bit of a guide through the often frustrating early intermediate phase. The newbie gains are gone, but it hasn't been long enough in the game for most people to wrap their head around plateaus and stalls, etc.

The average lifespan in strength training is something like 3-5 years, which makes sense as that's where progress slows to a crawl and most people either spin their wheels aimlessly, or quit altogether. BBLS is meant to help through that stage.

Good to know.
  • bioklutz
    Options

Chest/Triceps/Calves
    Back/Butt/Biceps/ABS
    Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Butt/ABS

BLS is set up like

Chest/Calves
    Back/Biceps/Abs
    Legs/Abs

That is a fantastic idea! That Sidesteel guy is so smart! :wink:

I am still going to try it as written for the first 8 weeks and switch to that if I am having trouble progressing.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Looking awesome @Gallowmere1984 !

Thank ya. I never look at myself flexed, so I had no idea that my shoulders had started to look halfway decent. I'll be pretty interested to see how everything looks once I've gotten to November and cut to my weight class for the meet.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Chest/Triceps/Calves
    Back/Butt/Biceps/ABS
    Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Butt/ABS

BLS is set up like

Chest/Calves
    Back/Biceps/Abs
    Legs/Abs

I had no idea that was the average lifespan of a lifter. Herm- I have been lifting since I was a child honestly-but I started in college and have never lost my love. I find it odd people would obsess fro 3-5 years and give up. I started seriously training (programatically to increase lifts) almost exactly 5 years ago when I got my new job with the State which equaled reliable hours- and consistent training- otherwise I was just lifting to lift to maintain while I worked a *kitten* construction job.

interesting- I learn new things all the time.

Also #teambenchallthetime- Sheiko has me benching a metric fkton every week- 3 days. it's a lot.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I guess I look at lifting a bit differently. I want to maintain muscle and bone mass as well as fitness as I age, not necessarily improve on lifts over the years. That way, I don't feel as though I'm ​spinning my wheels or stalling.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I guess I look at lifting a bit differently. I want to maintain muscle and bone mass as well as fitness as I age, not necessarily improve on lifts over the years. That way, I don't feel as though I'm ​spinning my wheels or stalling.

That's definitely a fair point of view, and I honestly think that the majority of dropouts would stay with it if they shared this. However, I also don't know many people, other than perhaps the elderly who start working out primarily to get back some semblance of a functional life, who would share it.

I am personally very performance driven, and the "look better, feel better" is just a bonus. However, I also accept that there will come a time when I am no longer adding ten pounds to my deadlift every week. This is all allowing me to approach things in a very "controlled aggressive" manner. I want to find the limits of my body, but I'd also rather not utterly destroy it in the process.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I just already do so much, I think I would drive myself crazy if I always had to "one up" or compete with myself. I also come from a competitive gymnastics and dance background and know I'm never getting that sort of body/strength/flexibility/ coordination back. I'm not competing, just living my life and getting older.