WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Grits- that's something that Kirby has had with him since before we met , the foot. He said he brought it from Mexico one year and it has bee with him ever since.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    So I felt bad last night as I read all the wonderful posts and sent good thoughts to many of you, but was on my phone and typing there is impossible for me..

Sherry – I am so so so happy for you!

Janetr – sending thoughts to your family – cute grand!

Quilting – I love quilting, have taken a couple of classes, but never do it, too much work… I have hand quilted (relaxing for me – but time consuming) and my BGF (best girl friend) has a long arm quilting machine and she’s quilted for me too.

Barbie – sending hugs to Brandy and to you and Jake as you go through this as a family

Meg – glad you are getting back into a routine

This week is going to be crazy, I have work of course, taking my nephew out to lunch tomorrow (45 min drive each way) and a potluck on Thursday a different potluck next Monday – but Thursday mid-day my mom arrives and will leave Monday mid day – so while she is here we will make our Christmas cookies, about 100 dozen… we made about that many last year and I ran out, so we are making a few more this year. We make 9 varieties and divide each variety between the two of us, and then we put them on paper plates and give them to neighbors/friends/work folks…. It works out well, makes great memories, and for about $40-50 each we make about 30 gifts so $3-4 per gift, not bad, and folks really look forward to it.

Dec Goals:

Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…Ok this better get done soon!
    Read and report on a book
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    8sibpwbhdlyv.jpg
    Levi was ready for me to turn off the lights!
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello from chilly, damp east Texas. I don't think I posted yesterday. It was a busy day and today has been as well.
    Sherry - so happy things are looking up for you.

Y'all are a very chatty bunch of girls. I've been trying to get caught up from Friday and it just isn't happening. I like that. It shows you all are caring and supportive ladies.

I went to my church Christmas party last night with my daughters, ages 32 & 30. It was so much fun and so nice to do something with my girls. The food was delicious, I made pretty good choices. The dessert table was a challenge, but instead of a large serving I got small two bite servings of the three best looking things on the table. I enjoyed and didn't feel deprived.

My poor husband has terrible gout in his left foot and has been in so much pain. He didn't go to church this morning because he's having so much difficulty walking and he's done nothing but sit today.

I know y'all don't discuss politics or religion here and I respect that. Those topics can really mess up a group. But may I say that I believe in the power of prayer to help us with issues in our lives and I'm praying for help with my eating and the strength to make good changes in my life.

I took my measurements yesterday for the first time in years. It was an eye opener for sure. Now I have a starting place and can keep track with progress other than the scale. Speaking of scales mine is dead.
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think I typed too much it cut off the last paragraph. I was just saying good night anyway. Pleasant dreams y'all.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Barbie: I'm sorry Brandy is slowing down and limping. Our fur babies are so important in our lives and bring us such joy. It is hard to see them struggling. :heart: :broken_heart:

Meg: I'm glad you're back. :smiley:

Pip: Your nails are the bomb! :star: I hope you enjoy the cold weather and stay safe. (((hugs))) I love the dog pictures. Keep 'em coming! :bigsmile:

Kim: I love that you and your mom get to make Christmas Cookies together. What a lovely tradition. :heart: I also love your photo. The red bit of hair looks fun and festive. :smiley:

The raccoons were back under the corner of the house trying to get back in this evening. I don't know whether they succeeded, but they made a lot of noise. They're quiet now. The Pest Control guy will be out tomorrow to see whether they broke through his barrier. I hope it held, but want to know for sure. :grumble:

I brought in Alberta the Christmas tree today and have it decorated and displayed in the living room window. It is the same tree in the photo, but it has grown quite a bit since then. The little Angel at the top is much too small to fit there now so she's hanging from one of the branches. :bigsmile: The new little tree, Sprucie, is at the top of the stairs.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." Movie quote: The Gods Must be Crazy
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, the only experience I have had with raccoons is sadly Gatlinburg, Tn. We rented a cabin and part of the instructions was to make sure that we never left food out on the back deck. We were so careful about that except the last night. We had grilled that night and I guess the whole deck smelled of it. So the raccoons went way down in the trash can and in the process knocked it all down. Plus they were very noisy. We had tried to be ready to move out as soon as we got up but soon realized that we had to big mess to clean up if we wanted our damage deposit back.

My pattern for the jeans quilt was in a quilting book. And it was labeled as a jeans lap quilt made especially for going to a ball game. I joined a quilting class and even though it was listed as for beginners, most of them in the class had more experience that me and they were doing some patterns that I had done. I guess I relied to much on Carolyn to help me. We would go through my books, then go to Jo-Annes and then on another day would start cutting. She would start me out on the sewing and then I would finish. Sure miss her. When she moved, I did do several without her but I enjoyed her company.

I haven't told you all about this little 10 year old boy, now 11 as of this week His Mom is real good friends with Michelle and has this big dog called Willis. I don't know what breed but Michelle's big dog is a full blood boxer and Willed is quite a bit bigger. Anyway, this little boy, name Dalton, got a disease called ALD. The best doctor is in Minneapolis and we are way down in southern Indiana so that' where they went. So Michelle has been taking care of Willis. Her dog really enjoyed having his as company as her other dogs are old and not as active. Dalton did not respond well to the treatment and is now home to die. Last night Michelle took Willis over to visit. Dalton isn't very responsive but is restless because of all his pain. But when Willis came over, he laid his head on Daltons chest and Dalton responded and was able to pet him. he also was not restless the whole time Willis was there. It is going to be hard for Michelle to let Willis go. She says that her friend has so much on her plate now, has no fenced in yard and any other excuse in the book. But both Dalton and his Mom really were so blessed to have their dog back in the house.

Sherry, you sound so giddy with happiness! I love it.

Janetr, make sure you let us know how your sister is. COPD is a wicked thing.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your prayers and positive thoughts. My sister is out of ICU, they said her CO2 level went too high due to a combination of things (I didn't know that could even happen) which caused her body to not be able to absorb oxygen. She has been thru a lot in the last couple of months, I hope she is now on the road to recovery. Again thank you all.

Janetr OKC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Barbie... my husband did not receive any physical therapy until two weeks ago. This was really strange to us and he only was given orders for PT after he called and explained where his deficiencies were (i.e., a drop foot, muscle weakness, falling, etc.). He is doing his best follow through on the PT home exercises and is seeing the therapist 2-3 times a week for the next two months.

Meg.... hello! I'm back after a hiatus as well!

Pip... isn't there .... wind ... with cold weather?

Janetr... sorry to hear about your sister.

Lois... sorry to hear you're under the weather. It seems I dodged the illness bullet this time. My symptoms never materialized into anything significant.

Kim... snazzy doo!

Well, I got my Martha Stewart Sparkling artificial Christmas tree up and decorated. My inner-child is satisfied ... there is glitter everywhere! And I mean everywhere! I've tracked it all through the house. When I tried to vacuum around the tree ... the vacuum created enough airflow to make the tree puff snow and glitter all over the room again. I suspect we'll be finding glitter for quite some time. I think it's hysterical ... the rest of the family isn't so sure.

Got the outside decorations up, went to my White Elephant Christmas party (received a truly ugly homemade rafia basked filled with pinecones ... but then I gave an old wreath made from yarn that had been wrapped around a hanger), and managed not to abandon my eating plan. A very busy weekend, but got enough accomplished.

This week I hope to finish decorating the house, get my cards mailed and then make final decisions on Christmas gifts. I've been watching my fill of Hallmark and ABC Family Christmas specials ... I've even got my husband watching them!

Hope you all have a good week too!
    Beth near Buffalo
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Kim, love the hair :)

Pip, I the nails are so festive.

I love, love, love the Christmas Holiday season. I never find myself wishing it were over, in fact I'm always disappointed when it is gone so quickly. Its truly a time of joy and celebration in my religious beliefs, a time with family, loving all the bright lights and gorgeous decorations that make the world look magical. Oh yes, I enjoy every minute.

Janetr OKC (where I hope to never grow up :))

• janetr7476
    Options
    Beth - my kind of gal, bring on the Christmas movies, all the music and the lights let it be Christmas. I even watch the Grinch and Charlie Brown, Rudolph, Frosty.....well you get the picture. It never gets old for me.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janetr: I'm so happy that your sister is doing better. YAY! :heart: :star::heart: :star:
  • janetr7476
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Janetr... my 18 year old says I have the soul of a 7 year old. I consider it a compliment!

A compliment indeed. I thot of your son and you as Jack and I drove through Nashville week before last.

Janetr okc
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sherry Glad you are safe and sound. I think you are finally "home". So happy for you.

Janetr So glad your sister is better...and thank you for reminding me that Christmas is joyful, sometimes I forget that part...

Kim Love the festive 'do!

Karen in Virginia
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll. Went on vacation and just stayed off the computer. :)

Someone back in November asked how I kept track of 90 nieces and nephews.... ummmm... I don't! lol The amazing thing is we have no name duplications (except for grandchildren named after grandparents but none in the same generation) When you consider my grandchildren added in to the mix my mom has 101 grandchildren. 42 grandkids, 54 great grandkids and 5 great-great grandkids!

Not even closet to catching up on everyone so I won't try. Ya'll talk too much! :tongue:

Marcelyn
    back home in the Houston area