Runners- RUDE people!

Options

Replies

• DancingDreams1234
    Options
    It just depends often times you are just so focused on your running goal you zone out and ignore people.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wave. Sometimes I nod and smile. Sometimes I actually say "hi". Sometimes I high five. Sometimes I ignore everyone. It's my run. I do what I want.

I wish I knew how to insert a gif. I'd put Cartman here so fast your head would spin.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't always wave. If someone waves at me I wave back IF I SEE THEM WAVE. Sometimes I'm just dealing, trying to get through, chanting in my head and generally in my own bubble and not caring or paying any attention to what someone else is doing. And I find that most of the runners around me also aren't trying to wave or be friendly. Don't take it personally.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I run I don't typically have the energy to wave & sometimes it's hard to muster up a smile for half a second. Nothing to do with the other person, I just feel like crape & can't do anything to show different. ;-)
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's cause your a Cubs fan (says the Brewers fan)? :laugh: In all seriousness though I think people just get in their own and don't pay attention to others. I try to wave or at least smile at people when running.
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When i am really running hard i settle for the head nod. No big deal.

to me the ruddest people are the ones that take up the whole track walking side by side knocking the runners out of the way. I cant stand that, I always try to move aside for faster people.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I'm not talking a full "wave" like waving "HI" to someone, all I do is raise my hand slightly. I run on a trail, so people are literally RIGHT next to me. It's not like I'm taking it personally, I just find it rude. I had a great run- almost 7 miles.

How is it rude though?

Do you expect everyone in your life to say hi to you?

I agree. Rude would be to laugh and point.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

Last week I took my son (in the stroller) and our dog out for a walk. A runner snuck up behind us (she was pretty quiet) and was only inches away from our stroller - her elbow just brushed my elbow. With her being so close to us my dog tried to lunge at her. What If either of us shifted and collided? I wasn't impressed.

well now see this to me is rude and since you were walking a dog very unsafe for the runner. i always slow down as i approach a dog and will say to the owner is it okay if i run past or should i walk sometimes they say oh no go ahead and run by and other times they'll ask me to walk past them. oh and i always cross to the other side when i see a dog. safety first. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Glad I live in NYC. Friendly people are annoying. :laugh:
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't think they would like me there.. I smile when I run!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    maybe they arent morning ppl!! lol id wave at cha, i ran today and saw no one running but some ppl doing yard work... lol
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Focusing on what you're doing does not make you rude.
  • madmiya
    madmiya Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    my mother and i have middle ear issues.
    if we wave when we run we will legit fall or veer entirely off track.
    it's like when i'm operating the push lawn mower..
    it's not always a safe time to wave but i'll give you
    a smile and a nod if i'm not dying out there.

anyway, you're probably better off cutting people some slack. you don't know where their head's at or how hard they're working. and if your well wishes are sincere, you don't really need them to answer back.
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I saw you running that early AND being friendly, I'd probably just punch you in the throat. :)
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I usually give the head nod and eyebrow raise to everyone I pass. I have to say I get more cyclist with the flip of the wrist wave than any acknowledgement from runners and I always thought that was interesting too. I notice this during a few tri's I've done too. Some people are really friendly and offer words of encouragement as they pass or you pass them and others act as if no one else is even around. But I have to agree with most the comments, I think some people are just really good at getting in the zone and that's what they have to do to get it done. I've never been that good at it and I always notice my surroundings, whether it's people, cars, butterfly's or whatever.
  • BrittanyAnnL
    BrittanyAnnL Posts: 140
    Options
    Meh. Sometimes I am overly friendly. I will remove my ear buds and say something nice with a little wave. Other times I half wince/smile. Sometimes I avoid eye contact. It has nothing to do with the other people/runners.. just depends on where my head is in the game.

Some days I am having to force my run and want nothing to do with anyone, other days I am high on endorphins and could probably carry an entire conversation with a stranger while keeping an 8 min pace.

Just depends. Don't take offense. :) I am sure we are all the same when it comes to different moods while running.
  • TetesLorraine
    TetesLorraine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hehe. If someone waves or says hello, I ALWAYS respond.
    But if they don't sometimes I say hello, sometimes I don't. All depends.

Make sure you wave at the scary looking ones. Maybe they won't kidnap you if you are nice..LOL....at least that's what I think when I see 'em.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I wave at people that drive by me.....basically its my way of thanking them for not running me over :happy:
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Or, if they are like me, they are totally in their zone while out for a run and not really aware of things around them other than things like traffic, which they are making a conscious effort to pay attention to.

^^^^ yes