Runners- RUDE people!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I generally wave and smile at people. I do see a lot of the same people on my Sunday long run. Sometimes when I'm out with my 3 yearold in the jogger for my long run and I'm huffing and puffing because it's hard and I've been out for awhile, people tell me what a good job I'm doing. I have to say, I actually find this patronizing. Yes I look like I'm struggling, pushing 70+ pounds is hard. Pushing 70+ pounds for 10 miles is very hard. Of course I'm doing a good job!

I know it's stupid that this bothers me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Where I live you're considered weird when waving or saying hello when passing a stranger on the street.

In the city of crime New York, NY????? I guess so. Tell me, why do people CHOOSE to live in places like that?

If you have to ask, you've never visited New York. Even if such places are not to your taste for every day life, they have incredible concentrations of creativity, culture, new ideas, and things to do and appreciate. Some people want that stimulation and opportunity.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Where I live you're considered weird when waving or saying hello when passing a stranger on the street.

In the city of crime New York, NY????? I guess so. Tell me, why do people CHOOSE to live in places like that?

I grew up in New York and since I've lived here, I've had no issues. I love it here, especially the city. People are also in a rush, so saying hello to strangers walking or running is not the norm (there would be too many people!). The first time a stranger did say hello to me when walking passed, I was thrown off because I'm not used to that (which was out of state), but I smiled back.
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Its the RUDE people that are out on there own business and think its some kind of law to shout or mimic you that you should be talking about. If people are running depending what stage they are in will detirmin there response to you.

I was running a few days ago, and some "gangsta boogie" girl with her lad friends decided to shout in my face. Its find tho as i had head phones in and didnt hear what she said.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Its the RUDE people that are out on there own business and think its some kind of law to shout or mimic you that you should be talking about. If people are running depending what stage they are in will detirmin there response to you.

I was running a few days ago, and some "gangsta boogie" girl with her lad friends decided to shout in my face. Its find tho as i had head phones in and didnt hear what she said.

That is why I find my own headphones an absolute bonus when out running, fully agree!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't, sometimes I make eye contact, sometimes I don't, sometimes I smile, sometimes I wince. Dont worry about what I am doing, I can guarantee whatever it is, has nothing to do with you.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I try to smile and nod when I pass people but sometimes Im just burried inside my head and dont notice you untill too late. Just smile, or not, and continue your run.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is not serious right...??

maybe they are on mile 9 out of ten and are trying to focus on there run and finishing strong and not waving at the other person passing by ...

If you care that much you are probably not running hard enough...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I just close line anyone that gets too close....is that rude?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hey, when other runners ignore me I just shrug, pull my shorts back up, and continue on....
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I may return an occasional wave
    ..........but it gets old really fast......
    I don't know you, and we aren't in this together, so please leave me alone and let me run.

Gets old really fast

+1

:-)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    t I do drink Shakeology, and that's probably where I get my energy from.

No, that just means you're really gullible. :wink:

When I run or speed walk, I simply cannot/will not wave at everyone I pass. Otherwise, I'd feel like I'm in a damn parade. I really, truly don't care about others on the trails or beach. I'm just there to lose myself in my workout. I love that amazing feeling, and I don't need or want strangers to interupt that.

Occasionally, I may notice someone to whom I'll nod, but other than that, no one really exists when I'm in the zone.