Runners- RUDE people!

Options

Replies

• TetesLorraine
    TetesLorraine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can deal with this, people who just aren't responsive. Either they're in the zone, take themselves far too seriously to be friendly or are just generally d-bags.

What I can't deal with is when I run, sometimes a runner will be coming straight at me and rather than swerve to avoid collision like you normally do with every other sentient human you pass, they CLAP at you as if you're some kind of dog who is standing blocking the entire pavement. As if you haven't got eyes and noticed. CLAP CLAP get out of my way... it's incredibly rude and entitled to behave as if the entire street is yours and people need to get out of your way.

If I ever get the cojones I'mma clothesline one of these fools.
    This only started happening when I moved to London so maybe it's a country/ city thing?

Just yell "STAY ON YOUR RIGHT, ITS JUST LIKE DRIVING"
    That's what I do! :P

Oh heck....never mind....y'all drive on a different side of the road ey? :tongue:
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on where you live! When I lived in Indiana, everyone would wave and smile when I ran by. Here in DC no one does. I prefer to do my own thing when I workout so I enjoy not having to worry about being "rude" by ignoring people.
  • winsorsmom
    winsorsmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the other day when a friend and I were out for a walk through an urban wilderness trail. We thought we were the only ones there and were bopping along chatting and giggling when all of a sudden we hear this deep voice behind us "on your left". My friend screamed the loudest blood curdling scream I've ever heard. I thought she had been stabbed or something. Her screamed scared me and I screamed (and peed a little). The poor guy that was just trying to let us know he was passing us on our left screamed and had to stop running. I turned around to look at him and he was bent over laughing. It was one of the funniest moments I've had while out walking. I feel bad for scaring him bad enough to make him scream and have to stop running. But not every time I think about it I laugh so hard I cry.

OMG...I totally just LOL'd at my desk at work!!!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I wave back if other runners wave at me. But most of the time I'm either in the zone or concentrating on some aspect of my form, breathing or just making sure I don't misstep (bc the lake path in chicago could use some repairs) so I don't got go stumbling and tumbling down the path.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the other day when a friend and I were out for a walk through an urban wilderness trail. We thought we were the only ones there and were bopping along chatting and giggling when all of a sudden we hear this deep voice behind us "on your left". My friend screamed the loudest blood curdling scream I've ever heard. I thought she had been stabbed or something. Her screamed scared me and I screamed (and peed a little). The poor guy that was just trying to let us know he was passing us on our left screamed and had to stop running. I turned around to look at him and he was bent over laughing. It was one of the funniest moments I've had while out walking. I feel bad for scaring him bad enough to make him scream and have to stop running. But not every time I think about it I laugh so hard I cry.

Reminds me of this time in College, my roommate and I took a walk around the lake in town (3 miles) sometime in the evening. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, these roller bladers came up behind us and yelled "On Your Left!" Yeah, my roommate scream, jumped sideways and almost pushed me in their way as if protecting herself. Thanks for taking both of us into consideration! Hehe, we laugh about it now.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    Quite frankly I wish it wasn't a thing to wave or say hi.

All I wanna do is run, with my music on and my eyes set on where I'm heading and my mind in the zone. I dont' want to have to wave or say hi or nod to strangers.

Its silly.

And the fact that some people find offense at not being greeted is ridiculous. Choose not to be offended, you will find happiness a much easier goal to achieve.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'll wave at anyone who doesn't scare me when running as long as I can still lift my arms. Beyond 20 miles or so, it goes down to about the 1-finger wave, traditional wave in Nebraska :wink:

Hey! I'm a Nebraska girl! Nice to see you. (1 finger way and maybe a head nod)

OP, I agree with other posts that they were probably in the zone. I can be going along and not see anything unless it's right in front of me. I'm concentrating, watching where I'm going or just lost in my own mind. Don't take it personal.
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If I saw you running that early AND being friendly, I'd probably just punch you in the throat. :)
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't make eye contact and look straight at the ground when a runner is coming my way. If someone says hi to me it better be loud. The only people who say hi to me are cyclists and walkers coming in the opposite direction. I don't even greet cyclists back because by the time I realize they said hi to me they are long gone and I'm like shucks. Running is "me" time for most people so don't feel bad you're not making friends on your route.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Ok, ok. I get it, I guess I'll just have to get a thicker skin. I AM a morning person, I don't drink caffeine, but I do drink Shakeology, and that's probably where I get my energy from.
    Also, my title should not read that Runners are rude people- it was meant to just be a topic for other runners to see about rude people ( in my mind anyway).
    Have a nice day everyone :) <waving>
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I enjoy sleeping with every runner I pass. However, that is just personal preference.

you have the time to "sleep?" LOL
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    but I didn't know that I was suppose to do this, I've said hi back a few times but I don't want to scare people by waving at them.... we like to keep ourselves to ourselves in england.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Funny. Accoring to City-Data, the crime rate in your city is about double the US average in every single category including violent crimes and property crimes. I'll bet your town feels safer than NYC but is it really? And besides, can 9 million New Yorkers really be wrong?

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Camden-South-Carolina.html
    http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-New-York-New-York.html

Where I live you're considered weird when waving or saying hello when passing a stranger on the street.

In the city of crime New York, NY????? I guess so. Tell me, why do people CHOOSE to live in places like that?
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Ok, ok. I get it, I guess I'll just have to get a thicker skin. I AM a morning person, I don't drink caffeine, but I do drink Shakeology, and that's probably where I get my energy from.
    Also, my title should not read that Runners are rude people- it was meant to just be a topic for other runners to see about rude people ( in my mind anyway).
    Have a nice day everyone :) <waving>

That's how I read it...like attention runners: let's talk about rude people...lol!

If I am doing my long easy run early in the morning, I actually say "hello" or "good morning" to everyone I pass. If I'm doing a tempo run and am working really hard I still nod and smile and sometimes even attempt a "hi" although it comes out all huffy. I mostly at least get a nod back. But if I don't I just pretend that they are having to work a lot harder than I am at this running thing and count it as a victory for myself :laugh:
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make eye contact, but I'm mostly just looking at how far they are from me and if I can reach it faster to a tree before they do or something. I'm a rude runner in that I'm competitive with people coming towards me.

Also I'm so tired and trying to breathe and stuff, as well as mentally convincing myself to keep going, that I barely manage eye contact.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe its because I'm Canadian... but I've found most runners to be genuinely happy people. I usually wave, nod or gasp a hello depending on what kind of run I'm on...

Nah....it's just that Canadians are genuinely happy people! :happy:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread, but have to say that I've found most runners to be a kinder, friendlier, happier group. Much more so than in a gym. I'm not overly friendly when I run, I'm hearing impaired, and frankly focus on my run and may not even really notice someone on the opposite side of the road. Too busy looking for cars, dogs, etc, I glance, see a runner, know I'm not in danger, and move on not thinking twice about it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I run on the beach and it's often full of people running and walking in the mornings. If I'm paying attention I may return an occasional wave but it gets old really fast. I don't know you, and we aren't in this together, so please leave me alone and let me run. And, no, I actually don't mean that to be grumpy or mean but I want to focus on me and my thoughts when I run, not wave or say "good morning" to each and every one of the 20 to 30 people I'm going to pass.

If I'm backpacking or trail running and you're the first person I've come across during my run, or the first person I've seen in the last few hours during a hike, then I'll say hi and wave.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    When I run I am usually just thinking about how to breathe and not paying attention to anybody else. If I forgot to wave, sorry!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I always give a little wave, or nod or some sort of acknowledgement, and usually get one back, but if I don't, it doesn't bother me! I usually assume I missed their nod or something. Plus sometimes you are doing an easy run, and sometimes you are really pushing, and it is hard to acknowledge anything at that point!