WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ What are the beach huts? I remember seeing rows of them in another pic your posted.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Mary ... praying your DIL is ok. Please keep us updated when you can.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allie, thinking of you today. I agree, keep the names of the lawyers. I think we can all agree that Tom will not got to mediation. He will be insulted, laugh in your face and blame you and maybe treat you worse.

Had my appointment with doctor today. We talked mainly about back and anemia. All are in agreement that we start with physical therapy and continue with my TENS. My Mom had all this back trouble and more. My sister also has it and my brothers. But it seems like the next generation, our children are starting earlier. The one thing I can do is to loose weight. I did weigh 203 there this time and I think the last time was 208 and I remember a time last year I was 218 so it is better. He said one of the one of the elements checked in a complete blood count (CBC) is elevated and when it is elevated along with a low Hgb, it may indicate low B12 or folic acid. So I see him in 6 weeks and will have another CBC and check B12 and folic acid before hand.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Carol - They are arrayed all along the promenade. A place where people can relax/get changed for the beach. They change hands for LOADS of money! :o I so wish I could post the Bea video. She is laughing fit to bust! <3 Oh I how miss them! We are going to-Skype them on Sunday. <3 Can't wait! DDIL has just sent a video of the school nativity. Darlings! Max the sheep was amazing!

Sad I'm not going up to London tomorrow to sit with my friend. But she wanted to cover herself and was scared I couldn't make it. Love her loads. <3<3<3 I will make good use of the time in a tribute to her.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi all :)

@pipcd34 Your 4th DH looks like a keeper!

@fanncy0626 Glad to hear your DIL is ok!

@csofled Wonderful.. collage of you and your DH!

@cityjanelondon You have a couple of cuties there!

This Ipad.. is.... :s
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful day to live in Texas. 76 degrees and sunny. Played golf then came home and worked cutting back plants that had frozen a few weeks ago. Looks so much better. I was telling my golf partners that for the first time in a long time I didn't t get tired playing today. Maybe it's the 15 lbs that I don't have to drag around the course.
    Re-I didn't know you live in Dallas. We go there all the time as our son lives there. Maybe the TX girls can have a meet up.
    Lisa - good luck with the bites on the warehouse.
    Allie - thinking of you as you go through this difficult time.
    Mary -sending prayers for your daughters health.
    Have a good evening.
    SueBDew in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    <3
    Can't be on a computer much right now. Looking forward to catching up with all of you when I can

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Jan:
    - Increase walking to 7500 per day by end of month
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake

• clarebare60
    clarebare60 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lanette in SW Washington State With regards to yoga I suggest going to a studio to begin with as a minimum. Its very important to have proper alignment and to understand not just the “exercise’ part of yoga. I have gone to a proper yogi for 7 years. I practice a very simple type of yoga called hatha yoga but it also considered a dharmic practice which means it’s for healing. I started it to help me heal from the trauma of having my son go through cancer. A lot of the yoga practiced in the West, whilst very good for a person’s physical health, misses out on the meditative aspects and I find these as important as the physical benefits. I know of many people who use Youtube and other mediums to help with their practice. I suggest these should support your learning rather than be the initiation since doing the poses wrong can cause injury or turn you off of yoga. All the very best for your pursuits.

Re in Tx I’m glad you have your health as a priority. I’m hoping for a great resolution to your knee problems. I’m also glad you have kept your optimistic outlook. I think optimism is everything. All the very best.

Lenora It’s sounds like you and your family have been through a lot and it is has mostly turned out well. Its all we can hope for. My experience with my son has really allowed my journey to be much more at ease. Part of the reason I’m sharing my journey is so that people see cancer as an illness that is totally treatable or at least we can live with it. My son’s cancer is not curable but it could be in remission forever. I only really have any anxiety about it when he has his annual check-up, which is in two weeks time. I worry for a day that’s it. Thank you for your prayers and for sharing. I’ll do the same for you and your family.

Michele in NC Thank you for the (((HUGS))). Here’s (((HUGS))) back.

Marni in Alaska You crack me up. Absolutely darling picture of you and your bird!!!

Lisa in West Texas I’m glad you have your mojo back. Sounds like you have some interesting stuff happening. Sending positive investment vibes to you and any potential buyer.

Carol in Much Warmer GA Thank you for your prayers and well wishes. I absolutely know they help.. Sorry about the spanakopita. Its too bad it was flavourless. A good one is divine. Lots of feta and garlic!!!

Rita Good for you throwing out the lollies. All the very best for your blood work next week.

Heather UK How was London? Is that what the ‘too much alcohol’ comment was about? You sound like you’re in transition…I’ll have to read more. Children are adorable!!!

Margaret sounds like an interesting book on sleep. Sleep is so important to health and pain management. I completely got rid of afternoon sugar cravings by making sure I was getting enough deep meaningful sleep. Now I am taking nana naps to help with the healing process. Have you done anything about magnesium levels? Magnesium rich food also helped me with restless legs. I’m sorry I don’t know your history but just wanted to offer some things that have improved my health.

Mary sending healing comforting energy for your DIL and family.

SueBDew in Tx Our weather in Melbourne is absolutely gorgeous here too. Mid 70s no wind. I’ve been getting out in it as much as possible. Next week the Australian Open tennis is on and I have three day passes. Can't wait. Heaps of Vitamin D for sure!!!!

Last few days have been good. I’m back into my routine which is very reassuring. Also both of my sons have had a great ski trip in Idaho and have shared their GoPro and other electronic memories with us. Both of my boys return to Australia on Sunday. My oldest has been in Juneau Alaska since August having a semester with a professor that is the lead in his studies. He will start at University of Tasmania in March for a year of research then start his PhD the following year. My youngest son starts University here in Melbourne in March. He plans to study business. They are chalk and cheese as the saying goes here but they are lovely young men and my parents have had a chance to really get to know them over the past months. I am soooo looking forward to having them here.

Christy in Melbourne
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Went to look at bikes today. DH and I both used to ride a lot back in the day, and I brought my Trek road bike with me. However, south FL is flat as a dinner plate, so don't need 21 gears, and my tushie says it wants a cushier seat. Once January (the austerity month) is over, maybe I can get a new one...

Keep the Trek bike, you can't beat them. Just don't use all the gears and go buy a couch to sit on. :) That's what I call my cushy seat. I had one of those kill the butt racing seats and went and found a wide gel filled seat and thoroughly enjoy riding miles now. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run too!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Sunny and dry here today but not very warm. Thanks to all who sent get well wishes, I am feeling better after 3 days on steroids and the cough syrup is helping especially at night. Eating is still going well, homemade vegetable beef soup last night. Hoping to start water exercise again next week.

Katla - Sorry about the cancellation of surgery for DH. That just causes frustration and anxiety especially since you were there and ready.

Allie - Glad you have taken that step.

Mary - Glad DDnL is okay. Hope things continue that way.

Barbie - Yeah for an easy trip to the big city and back with good results for Jake.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Christy, I am so jealous...we are avid tennis fans and the AO is on the top of our bucket list! Do you have a guest room??? :D Melbourne looks like such a beautiful city. Enjoy your days there -- anyone you are specially wanting to see? I'm a Rafa girl (and Fed, of course).

At this moment I'm watching Taylor Townsend in her qually match...looks like she will win it. Lots of young Americans coming on up! I've been having lots of fun watching Jack Sock, too. We have a pro tournament here in Delray -- the Delray Open -- where Delpo started his comeback last year. He is on the schedule to play this year, but as he's pulled out of the AO, I'm worried he won't make Delray. We were lucky enough to go to the French in 2014, and are going to Miami this year, as well. DH wants to go to the US Open, but we will see what things look like this summer.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    Re-I didn't know you live in Dallas. We go there all the time as our son lives there. Maybe the TX girls can have a meet up.
    SueBDew in TX

I will wave at you Dallas ladies on Sunday from the airport! Flying up from College Station and then onto Orlando to meet daughter in Disney for 5 days.

Cheri
    just back from Adult Coloring at the library, BCS, TX
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey now....

Missed you all yesterday, just caught up reading all the posts.

Mary - I'm so glad she is OK enough to be let out of the hospital and can go home. Your description of her accident sounds a lot like one I had. Traffic on the freeway had come to a stop so I stopped about a car length behind the Cadillac (brand new!) in front of me and got slammed by a 19 year old kid doing 50+ mph, needless to say my minivan got picked up by the rear and shoved up into the Cadillac, destroyed the Cadillac, my van and his car and put me in the hospital for two weeks. When I read your description of hers I shuddered!!

Allie - I agree, Tom's probably gonna laugh in your face regarding mediation, so definitely keep those attorneys' numbers.

Speaking of attorneys, I will be seeing the legal lady on staff here at the shelter either tomorrow or early next week regarding my car and getting Missy back. Everybody cross your fingers that all goes well. I miss my lil fur baby terribly!! And I need that dang car something fierce!!

I will also be seeing a counselor either Saturday or early next week, so that is a bonus.

Things have been quiet here, it finally stopped snowing last night and it was beautiful and sunny today, but still cold! WeatherBug says next week is supposed to be nice and in the mid to high 40's for highs all week, YAY!!!

Gotta run, time for dinner....oh yeah, almost forgot, my fitbit started working again yesterday after the battery being dead for almost a week. Charged it up yesterday and lo and behold my tablet recognised it!!! YAY!! So logged 8 hours 45 minutes sleep last night!! I haven't slept that well in almost 8 years!!! Will see if I can find another Minion funny for you all after dinner. Later!

Sherry
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri, I'm scared to death of the side effects. But today has been completely normal, so maybe, just maybe I'll skate through with just that one weird day. Have read on internet about others experiencing "brain zaps"...OMG. I'm not sure I have enough brain left to lose any to zaps!! Hoping that lowering the dose to 30 mg will still ease the pain and cut down on the night sweats and overall feeling hot. (not a good thing for FL) If it works, will try to go down to 20 mg. We'll see.

Beautiful quilt. <3 I am a quilter too along with crocheting, sewing, papercrafting etc....

This overall feeling of hotness needs to be gone from my body already. I have been post-menopausal since 2004 when I went into natural early menopause. It was torture living in So Flo for 11 years during my peri-menopausal years. I had to go on HRT during our 8 year stay in Indiana as my quality of life suffered from the hot flashes and night sweats. Went off HRT during of 3 year stint in Ohio. Left with random levels of hot flashes and night sweats but an overall feeling of higher body temperature. Not too bad now with the cooler temps in TX now but the summers are going to be tough. Be gone hormonal changes be gone already!!! Continued good luck with the Cymbalta weaning.

Cheri
    BCS,TX

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Saucy Sisters!

Well, I went to the doc. She was satisfactorily impressed with my current level of fitness and she confirmed that the “Pre-Diabetes” warning she had given me last year is no longer a concern. My insulin resistance is down from 7. Something to 2... my insulin levels are down from 31 to 12 – basically a radical change from the original tests. *whew* Dodged a bullet, there. And apparently, the exercise is enough to keep it at bay without any special type of diet. Everything else was normal, too – BP (110/62!) and heart rate – all that stuff. Nice to have my exercise focus validated.

As for my knee – I am going in for an MRI on Tuesday Morning – and we will proceed from there – but in the meantime, the doc has given me a 6 day course of Steroids to reduce the inflammation and advised me to wear a flexible knee support brace. NSV – One size fits all – JUST fits. The doc seemed to think that, since I am not rolling around on the floor screaming in pain, the fix shouldn’t be too dramatic – but, I am very curious to see what the MRI shows about what is going on in there.

With just the break in exercise, the leg is doing better – so I am sure the steroids will reduce the pain factor by a lot. I will have to FORCE myself not to do anything too strenuous until I get the MRI results... I am balanced on that fine line of not wanting to cause any more damage than necessary – and not wanting to lose my fitness level and muscle tone. I just have to remember - muscle tone can be re-gained, whereas the knee is kind of a one-shot deal.

On the Magic Bean front... *sigh* I succumbed to a couple of supplements while I was at CVS waiting for my prescription... One is a “Green Tea Fat Metabolizer” and the other is a “Forskolin Fat Loss” supplement. The green tea can’t hurt me – and the Forskalin one has coconut and flaxseed oil in it. Both good for you... I figure I will give them one bottle’s worth of test. I have been tracking my weight long enough to have a clue about how much I lose on a regular basis. If I don’t see any visible change, I won’t buy them again. If I have any noticeable improvement – I will let y’all know. Just count me as your guinea pig on this one.

Michele – I have used the liners in the past – I use them for queso – or anything that is going to sit in the pot for hours and hours and get crusty. LOL – and I ALWAYS go to the gym without makeup. I am not there to impress anybody... If they don’t like it, they don’t have to look.

Becca – Well – perhaps by the next TOPS meeting, you will have lost 5 pounds! That basket may still be yours... Sorry about your Sister... they are tricky things, aren’t they? Maybe she is thinking of you... I think of my Sister often – but, I am awful about calling.

Pip – B)

Barbie – I go to my Dentist quarterly. I suck up the cost of that extra cleaning or two – so that I can retain my teeth. So far, I have most of them. And the ones that I lost were from BEFORE I started the quarterly schedule. Since I started making quarterly cleaning appointments, my required dental work has decreased, dramatically. I am sure I am saving money, in the long run – not to mention having teeth. ((Hugs)) You and Jake will figure out the new doggie. I hope you are communicating about it.

Marcelyn – I want to know what sports bra can hold you like a concrete block and still be comfy... Double D girls need lots of love and support... And, alas, while weight watchers is helpful to many – I have found that just making some small, permanent, changes in my eating habits has had the best effect. Less butter – a lot less cooking oil – measured cheese... just stuff like that. Never going to count vitamins toward my calorie goal... I figure they are just part of the landscape – not ever going to choose between fish oil and food... nope. And yeah – fruit and I don’t see eye to eye. It likes to hang out on my thighs... I prefer that it not. So... Veggies all day long – but fruit – not so much. Good luck in the race!

Joyce – How nice that your daughter can enjoy Florida.

Beth:)

Mary
    – ((Hugs!)) Thinking good thoughts for your girl!

Katla
    – Hope they re-schedule the surgery, soon. There is always some relief in just getting it over with. ((Hugs)) And I have even given up my outdoor bird feeders... Aside from the whole Millet crop that was popping up in my yard – we had drawn in a thriving family of rats... I am afraid the rats no longer thrive. I may try hummingbird feeders – I don’t think the rats will go for the sugar water.

Marni – Funny cartoon – but nope – my boobs don’t get to eat much anymore... I hardly eat anything that crumbles – except for cheese. I never let cheese crumbs drop! And the mini-meatloaf is just a giant nod to portion control. You can’t eat too much if there are two of you eating 12 ounces... you just can’t. Even my pork and beef product has only 400 calories for half a pan. Anyone using a lower fat recipe will have much better results for calories. Your DH looks like a sweetheart. Both you and the bird are beautiful! Is that the bird that barks?

Gloria – ((Hugs!))

Allie – Try to tune Tom out... ((Hugs)) Glad you got some good info! And I wish I didn’t think Joyce is totally right about Tom’s response... He has been making you do what he wants for so long, I don’t think he will believe he can’t keep on doing that, until he chooses to leave. I doubt he will respond in anything resembling a rational manner. Please, be somewhere safe – or have someone with you – when you tell him.

Lisa/WTX – Wise to keep your hopes under control. As someone who has worked in the lending industry for the last nearly 30 years – I can tell you that it ain’t over til the check clears the bank. I have my fingers crossed for you!

NYKaren - :p

Yvonne – I am so with you on the sunrise... NOT a morning person, at all. Thanks for the tip on Stephanie O’Dea. I will check out her stuff. I am just happy to have a small core of recipes that come out great and that my Hubby likes.

KJ – WHOOT – it must be like playing hooky!

Kate/UK – I hope you get past the lethargy... Low carb is really the most effective diet for me – if I am going to diet.

Karen/VA - <3

Nancy D – Sorry about the ringy head... Hurray for the NSV!! I had a similar type of excitement when I was able to push the weight on my overhead press to 35 pounds. It does feel great to be strong! And your daughter is gorgeous! So is the quilt. So glad you figured out how to post the pic!

Carol – Maybe you can make specific plans with your Sis to have bi-annual or quarterly visits... Hope you two get past the difficulties, soon. For Greek food – I generally do lamb or seafood. The seafood is usually marvelous.

Rita – Great NSV! Getting rid of candy is always beneficial – at least if you don’t “get rid” of it by eating it! (who? me?) I hope the faking it helps. ((Hugs!!))

Cheri
    – I met my man in college, too. We got married in 1989. Oh my stars – you were both so young and rosy-cheeked! I hope you and your kin have a marvelous time at Disney!

Heather – Great work! You get a gold star for working on the Memoir. And look at Edie and Max! All those Grandkids are pretty adorable! Are they doing some kind of a dance?

Margaret – Liking the plan... you can do it!

Barb B/IN
    B)

TNToni – I like the Tennessee in the front... lol. Our own little firecracker... Money is always good – even if working isn’t. And please step away from the fruitcake... ((Hugs!))

Lenora
    – No issues for tracking so far...

Janet – Cute picture!

Mynumberwillchange – Feel free to stop in any time. Pull up a keyboard and tell us about yourself.

Sarah – Three hours on the weekend? I am impressed.

Belle – Love my PC... sorry about the Ipad.

SueBDew – I would love to have a cup of coffee and chat some time. Just let me know the next time you are coming to town. And OH YEAH – I was totally able to do a LOT of work in my yard over the last few weeks – work that I probably could not have done if I still weighed 260. The Doc’s digital scale showed 219 this morning – a 3 lb increase over my last weight at the gym – but, I am not worrying too much. I expect it’s just the digital scale or the time of day. I will get a weight that counts when I go to lift, tomorrow. Hoping for a repeat of 216.

Carey - *WAVING REALLY BIG SO IT’S EASIER TO SEE* (Hugs!)

Christy/Melbourne – Oh yes – my whole journey has been about improved health from day one. As much as I am enjoying my husband telling me every night that I am really getting some curves – it has always been about quality of life. I expect to live a long time... I don’t want to be miserable or incapacitated for the next 40 years!

Sue/WA – So glad you are feeling a bit better. Hurray for the Fitbit Sync!

Sherry – Glad to see you, Honey. I was starting to worry. Hope the Legal Lady knows her stuff.

Well – tonight is leftovers. I have some beans & ham left – and some chicken strips we picked up at the Walmart deli – so, that is what’s for dinner. Tomorrow – I will put some Italian food in the crockpot. I have just a bit of the rotisserie chicken left – and it will be awesome with some tomatoes and mushrooms and squash...Have to run to the store, though... I am out of mushrooms!

See y’all later...

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX