WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello!

MRI done... now I just have to wait a few days for the results and to see what my doc has to say... the knee is feeling a lot better after a course of steroids –but is still tender and not quite right – but, I have my brace on and my fingers crossed for an easy fix.

Yesterday was the first day of the new 24 week challenge – and why did it never occur to me that 24 weeks is about 6 months? Sheesh, I guess it’s a good thing – or I might never have started that last one.

I was bummed when I went to the gym to do my initial weigh in. The scale I have been using to weigh myself was marked “Out of Order!” Of course, they have a slick new digital number – completely untrustworthy, as far as I am concerned – and it weighed me a LOT lower than the one at my Doc’s office. Now... it IS possible that the old one was wrong... I was getting 216 at the last weigh in on the old medical scale – and my Doc’s digital scale showed 219 – so, I figured that 216 was pretty accurate. After a little over a week – this new digital creature showed me at 212 (211 and change). So... either the magic beans are working, or... my muscle weight has dropped really fast (two weeks since last lower body workout), or... the scale is off. However – since it is the scale I will be using – I changed my ticker and claimed 212. Not really getting all excited about it – since I think it’s a technical failure... I will get excited when I see the number change from there.

Starting stats for the new challenge:

STARTING WEIGHT: 212
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 212
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (THIS WEEK) : 0
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (ALL WEEKS): 0
    GOAL WEIGHT: 188
    TOTAL LBS AWAY FROM GOAL: 24

So, starting at 212, I am “closer” to Onderland than I had thought – and at the end of the 24 weeks, I *should* be within 5 pounds of my initial MFP goal to be half the woman I used to be... OK – I have to stop now – cause I am edging toward that Veruca Salt feeling... but, I am kind of excited. Next stop – 1 lb by next Monday. (*smacks self* ONE pound, Re – focus on the next ONE pound.)

I have been having a little trouble over the last few days with the whole 1500 calorie thing. My friend at work says the Steroids can cause that – so, I feel a little bit better about it – but, I am really hoping that the knee can be “fixed” enough to exercise again, soon. I have done a little lifting – but honestly – without my elliptical, I am not nearly as motivated – and I don’t have any buffer calories. I guess I need that daily chug to keep myself on track and eating under CICO. Patience is always my worst thing. MRI results won’t be in for a couple of days – then I have to wait for my Doc to take a look... so who knows when I will know more? Guess I will just have to suck it up for another week.

Sorry I can’t reply to everyone – but sheesh! 244 posts? Love you guys!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Allie – a free and clear house and a free and clear car are nice... but do the budget –can you SUPPORT the house – taxes, insurance, utilities, REPAIRS – not to mention food and such – on the NET income you make? And do you want the house where you are? Or the house in Florida? At this point, who cares what Tom wants... You do what YOU want. I am with Rita & Margaret – selling makes more sense – sell the houses, split the proceeds and take half of his retirement. Is he saddling you with a house that you can’t afford to keep and can’t sell? Definitely do some research. And here’s a thought... If it were your DGD – what would you want/do for HER? Do that for YOU. Fight for yourself the way you would for your loved ones.

Nancy – I assume the calories from exercise are exaggerated, too – so you can eat some of them and still be safe. I will be eating 50% of mine, if I can ever exercise, again. It will depend on where you are starting, too. When I was listing myself as “lightly active” I didn’t eat many of them back. But, at “sedentary,” I will eat half.

Mia – great purses!

Betty – HUGS!

Litehousegurl & FourLynne – Welcome – and take it from someone who has very little patience... try to cultivate some. Be patient with yourself and with your body. I have found that if I try to go too strict on the calorie intake – I fail miserably. For me... slow and steady wins the race and loses the pounds. Good luck, and come here often!

Kate – HFLC? That one has slipped by me.... and I want to know EVERYTHING that works...

Heather
    – Please post lots of pics. Some of us have to travel vicariously. (Hugs!) And I have my fingers crossed for a sale while you are on Vacation!

KJ – Awesome baby shower! You are SO creative!

Chris
    – You ROCK! What a great NSV.... “the Skinny Person!” And Gratz on the 2+ pounds!

Sarah – 734 is a LOT of burn. Great job!

Janet – Excellent Exercise! LOL – Pumping Rust is perfect!

Marcelyn – Hurray! You finished!

Barb – I so feel you on the Man thing... My DH loses weight just by showing up at the gym, I swear. He eats whatever he wants and still loses. Gratz on the 1.5 lbs!

Barbie – You are my hero.. using your time productively... Talk about Multi-Tasking!

Pip – the shoulder looks ICKY PAINFUL! But the nails are pretty!

DJ – HUGS!

Karen/VA – your DGD is a doll!

Becca – HUGS!

Rori – Hurray!

Carey – *waves back*

Rita – HUGS!

Yvonne – try putting the Nordic Track on an incline... I am sure it has a setting for that. Good luck!

Kay – HURRAY! I love that every pound I lose is another record for me. I currently weigh less than I did in my Sophomore year of college... and that was in 1984.

Penny – Awesome pics!

Cheri
    – HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Ruel63
    – Great Job! Exercise is huge!

Meredith – Gratz on te 4 lbs!

NYKaren – GO, GO GO! Sorry about the job.

Gloria – HUGS!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well, lots to do before I can head home...

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone!

I was 127 posts behind when I checked in tonight. Had to do some really fast skimming so I hope I didn't miss things of importance. Want to report I am done another .8 pounds. I am challenging my self to lose every week in January.

Cheri - Happy Birthday!
    It seems like someone else mentioned a birthday. If so I hope is was terrific!

Heather - Have a wonderful trip!

Carey - I am sorry about your eye problems. It sounds so miserable.

Pip - sparkle and shine!

NYKaren - sorry about the job falling through.

Penny - Oh, my, be beary careful up there!

Have a great night!

Toni in Tennessee
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA since posting my before & current photos shortly after Christmas. Lots of issues dealing with DH's nerve pain that continues after his Discectomy done in October. I continue to log everyday but miss the group support that is so very helpful.

It's taken me 3 days to read thru all the posts but I finally finished & am caught up on all that's been happening in your busy lives...wow!

[Re I have a very bad knee that needs replacing but with DH's health issues haven't been able to...but take heart! I've lost 63 pounds since starting my journey last February. I never have more than 3000 to 5000 steps in any given day, mostly on the lower side. I do an hour of exercise most days, yoga, weights & ab work. Swimming is the best which I started once our new pool was installed the end of July but that ended in October & I can't get to the indoor pool right now because I don't want to leave DH alone for too long. My motto is "Yes we can" I'm just 17 pounds from 24.9 BMI and 20 to my goal...Yes We Can!

Happy Birthday, Bon Voyage, Happy Anniversary and healing thoughts

Lois on the North Shore of Ma who will never let 3 weeks of not reading posts happen again!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – I love it: "Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy

Penny – My youngest son lives in Louisiana and they started getting ‘black bears’ there … so they are ‘protected’. You better be half eaten before you shoot or kill one. One day he was driving down the road; and, could not figure out what somebody had thrown out in the middle of the road. He thought it was a big leaf bag; and, he got about 10’ away from it; it rolled over (it had been asleep) he threw his truck in reverse so fast it would have made your head swim. Sure enough, the bear was on their property and he had to tell his 5 bosses AND their children that they could NOT harm or kill them. HUGE fine (and possible jail time). He caught them ‘on cameras’ out in the woods. Even up in a tree stand, you aren’t safe … they climb up trees. You see people all over the Smoky Mountains getting out of their cars to take pictures of the bears when there is a trash can around. They have gotten so use to people, that people do not understand that by doing so, it makes them totally unpredictable. They can run pretty darn fast and you definitely do not want to get between them and their curious little cubs.

The bears finally moved on, so there are roaming somewhere in Catalouie (sp?) Parish somewhere or elsewhere.

Carey – I’m think ‘camo’ … in pink … But; with black, you could sneak up on someone at night. But, the way things are in some areas, you might get shot by someone who ‘shoots first; and, asks questions later’. But, under my black robe; I would be ‘packing’. LOL! I am afraid of things that go ‘bump in the night’.

pitegny – Measuring and weighing you food; put up the left-overs ‘immediately’ so you don’t go back for seconds. A good set of measuring cups and spoons and a food weighing scale. Using a smaller plate than a dinner plate. It ‘hurts’ at first; but, drinking as much water before and between meals helps fill you up. Some say that drinking something 'hot' like tea or soup also helps fill you up. You just need to figure out what caloric intake you need to get to, in order to 'lose weight'. Most people tend to ‘inhale’ their food. Especially, when they work and they 'eat on the fly'. They say (and I don’t know who ‘they’ are) that we eat too fast and too much. If you put your fork or spoon down and really chew up your food; your body has time to tell your brain, ‘ok, I’ve had enough’, you can 'quit now'! Then you are less likely to have that ‘oh, I ate too much feeling and bloat’. It has taken me a long time to put my fork and spoon down. You’d think that I was afraid if I do, someone who grab my food and run. Little goals makes it a lot easier to obtain, don’t look at your total … it can sometimes be a little overwhelming. Also, think about those NSV (Non-Scale Victories). Clothes getting a little looser, things like that. Exercising when you really don’t want to. Work up on the exercise 5 minutes every couple of days. Walking is great exercise, especially if you live in an area where the weather is nice.

Tell us a little about yourself. What you prefer to be called, a location (general or specific), family, hobbies, goals, … etc.

Gloria – When I am that far behind; I jump in about 3 pages from the end; usually you can get the ‘gist’ of any ongoing story lines. Then when you catch up … you can put a ‘marker’ in the box and post it and go back and read the ones you skipped when you have time.

Joyce – You’re right that painting needs to be done before gutters go up, especially if there is any raw wood that needs to be sealed. Otherwise, you'll end up with rotten wood behind your gutters. It’s a fine tuning of timing!

Re – Once at WW’s I got weighed in, sat through the 30-minute meeting; got up and went to the restroom and went directly to my MD’s office, got back almost immediately and weighed in … 5lbs ‘lighter’. I don’t know who was behind me ‘in line’ but, they must have had their toe on the scale. I ‘never’ lost more than 5lbs at WW. But, I was not ‘exercising’ either. Now I am exercising and this week and next, I have ‘upped’ my minutes in exercise, upped my protein, and upped my water. I sure hope that the scales ‘go down, at least a little’ being on a plateau of ‘losing and finding’ the same two pounds is getting old … and expensive!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ski Machine- 41min- 35-60rrsist 8incl 139mhr= 275c
    Appleiwatch- 137mhr, 253c
    jjog wk 2 sta- - 5.43min, 10.15ap, .5mi = 55c iwatch only
    Ride dome 2 hm- up Must- 19.30min, 7.5amph, 2.4mi = 149c Iwatch only
    total cal 479
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday. Cheri. So glad you are enjoying your daughter time.
    Katla - sending good thoughts and prayers that your area doesn't flood.
    iPad battery gone.
    SueBDew in Tx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 X7X 30

Since I have the respiratory flu I feel horrible! My hubby wanted to give me a treat and brought me a chocolate frosted donut. So, I had to do at least a little exercise to burn those calories!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr spinning today. The plan for tomorrow is to go to yoga and then deep water.

Welcome everyone new!

Jane - best of luck next week

katla - here's hoping you don't get too much water

Congrats on all the losses

KJ - couldn't have said it to Allie any better, what she should be afraid of. Allie - You ARE a strong woman

Penny - as always, your posts are so interesting. A bear!!! Do you have a freezer (and I don't mean the outside)

Cheri - happy birthday!

pip - neat keychain

NYKaren - so sorry for dh and you

After exercising went to the post office, then stopped at the Salvation Army. Got a sweater. I was glad that someone had torn off the price tag of a bag that I was considering because I have something at home that I can use just as well. then went to Kohl's because I had a coupon for $10 off and another for $4-something off which I had to use by the 21st. We need a set of sheets but I couldn't believe the prices of them! I was shocked! The cheapest was $100. Needless to say, they didn't get bought. I actually had a hard time finding something, but I finally found what they call a bra but to me is more of an exercise thing. I wound up paying something like 38cents. Came home and helped Vince take some things out to the garage (christmas things). He still has the trees to undecorate.

Re - you'll be in Onderland in no time at all

Had rummikub tonight. Had small bites of cheeses and a small graham cracker and two of the Endangered Species chocolates. Only water to drink.

Gotta run and get ready for tomorrow.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone
    Marcelyn - I am so impressed by your commitment to do that marathon!
    DrKatieBug – keep on keeping on!
    Jana – love the “Waste is Better than Waist!”
    Heather – have a wonderful trip!
    Penny – those are BIG feet!
    Allie – Take a deep breath – you’re doing great!
    Joyce- I keep meaning to ask what a TENS is – I’ve never heard of one. If they want you to do exercises you must be doing much better!
    Janetr – how are your siblings doing? (((hugs)))
    Rita – (((((((HUGS)))))))
    KJ – I love everything from the shower! We have the Hungry caterpillar in our home library. I will never look at it the same again!
    Sherry – woohoo – where are you?
    Becca – so glad that is years behind me! (((hugs to you)))
    Pip – how’s it working out sitting close to your boss?
    Carol – I love Betty Boop and was so disappointed when out local paper stopped carrying the cartoon. 
    Kate UK – keep up the good work!
    Rori - what an awesome accomplishment!
    Yvonne – don’t push that knee too hard. Better slow and safe.
    Michele – Dennys has changed their menu again and the egg white omelet is on the $2, $4, $6, $8 menu.
    Re - how wonderful you got to spend time with DD & little Pi!

Almost time for me to hit the pillow so better talk fast. DGS#1 (RJ) got a drone from his Auntie and Uncle for Christmas. It would not lift off so had to swap it for another one. So Monday we took it back to Penney’s to get the new one. This one did work – for 5 minutes in which time it zoomed up and over our 3 story apt bldg. where it got itself stuck above a neighbor’s windows in the gutter. Of course it rained last night so while I was trying to keep a positive outlook about the drone Rj was absolutely the opposite and told me I was too positive! LOL. Anyway after trying to come up with some really creative ways of getting it down we went up to the 3rd floor neighbors and he was able to knock it off the roof! Brought it in dried it off with the hair blower and it’s flying around just fine (in the house).

Sorry to those who I did not mention by name and respond to your posts. It’s not because I don’t care who you are or your struggles and successes. I wish I had more time to respond to everyone but it’s all I can do to try to stay caught up with the reading.

Love to all, Yawn Yawn,

Gloria in very rainy WA
    Posting weight tonight because I won’t have time tomorrow: Wednesday weight check-in

1/4 266
    1/11 265
    1/18 261.8

My goals for January are:
    Weigh less on January 31 than today
    Log every day
    Meditate every night
    Go to bed no later than 11pm
    Find something to laugh about everyday
    Collect and give HUGS
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sarah - Right now my thoughts are - GACK! Can I even do this? Sugar is everywhere and will power is not my strong suit. It is an interesting read so far. The closer I get to starting this the more I want sugar.

Allie - I'm right there with Lisa. We are holding you in our hearts.

Cheri - Happy Birthday! Great place to celebrate.

Karen in Virginia - We went to Patriot's Day tonight. I cried a lot.
    Thanks. I wasn't expecting to find those paper or to have them stir up so much emotion.
    One of the accusations was that I was a drug dealer. I would have more money if that was the case.

Karen in NY - You're doing great on the positive thinking.

Our friends took us to the Keg and treated us to a steak supper. I had steak and asparagus. I wrecked it when I followed it up with buttered popcorn and diet Coke at the movie. I love him (his wife, Lynn was a very special friend) but can only take his current partner in small doses. She's not Lynn. She's a one upper. It doesn't matter what the subject is, she's been there, done that. I feel a little petty because she is always so nice to me.

Still waiting for the meeting with HR. Still going through the boxes of our life. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

-Sharon in Lethbridge (the mountains of snow are melting)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Onward... upward... into the breach, dear friends.

Press day. :)

Later,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,200 Member
    Options
    Going to go through security in half an hour. Neither of us slept. ;) I could hear my heart going fast all night. Great breakfast! Last night we had a mini row, with me telling him I wasn't keen on his critical side. :s He needed to hear it. Anyway, all's well this morning. <3

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    glo you are losing!! Halfway through January and you are on target! :)

Heather sounds like travel nerves still. May you both have a decent trip and get some rest. Things will feel better-seems there is a lot of change in the air with the house and all, tension and travel :s

My DH is a non political sort, not a people pleaser, but a fair minded, ethical problem solving type - he doesnt suffer fools or play games. Yep, not the kind of guy to get a job easily-at least not in his field. I don't know-I've just got to accept that we can manage, it's that little annoying "but if only" that traps me every time.

"If only" doesn't sit well with me--a total time waster. So today's plan:

Log food ahead
    Log exercise ahead
    Roasted veggies for dinner yum
    Counting blessings and calories today!

NYKAREN