WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)Joyce, I do all my exercise either while watching TV or listening to audio books. That way I can pair a treat with a habit I want to acquire. It's one of the strategies that Gretchen Rubin writes about in "Better Than Before"...a book about habits. Getting down on the floor and getting up again is a great exercise all by itself.

:) I think the search for a new dog has started in earnest . Jake has been checking animal rescue sites and tonight he talked to a man on the phone about a dog about 75 miles from here that turned out to not be suitable for us. I trust that the right dog will come along.

<3 Barbie from not so chilly NW Washington
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Kate – I doubt they care … I got a PM from someone, who turned out to be a ‘man’; and, I point blank asked his why he had gone to a site such as WOMEN 50+ … but, then I realize that he could write a PM from anywhere. I hope I did not ‘scare’ him totally off; but, I did make friends with him. So … we ‘might’ have a man here; but, like someone said before, they come and go and then leave totally when they realize it is a thread of women, and, very few men.

Katie – That’s great! I’m working my way down from being ‘overweight’ to being ‘within’ that ‘regular/normal’ weight. But, for the past 6 weeks I have been ‘losing and finding’ the same 2lbs. So I was told to 'up' my exercise, water, and protein. Does a Bloody Mary count as a veggie? Oh well.

KJ – You’re right … it doesn’t make you feel anything but ‘overwhelmed’ when you hear from your child (albeit grown) and cannot be there to try to make them feel better. Our youngest son and his family live out in Louisiana and he sent pictures of when he busted his head wide-open and was waiting for the ER MD to come in and stitch him up. Of course, anything you cut your head … you bleed like a ‘stuck pig’ … he and another man were putting up a ‘pig trap’ when he raised up and hit the “T” point on the fence post. When the man heard the 'thud', he turned around and DYS was covered in blood. He got it to stop, and son went and changed clothes, called his ‘fiancée’ at the time (now his wife) as he was driving into town … at least 30 miles to the nearest hospital. So she met him there and about ‘freaked’ out when she saw the wound; but, more so that he had driven himself into town.

My oldest son did about the same thing … of making my stomach take 3 turn overs. He and his Dad had gone fishing (on Father’s Day, which was also his birthday that year). When he got home, he very graphically described to me what ‘might’ (or ‘would’) have happened if the ‘idiot’ that had passed him towing a boat, and 3 more cars ahead of him [in the ‘passing lane’ for the other side of the roads] … If a truck or a car had be in it passing someone … head-on and that they would be 'dead bodies' everywhere. When he left, I turned to my DH and asked him, what really happened; he very calmly said, ‘well, what DOS described was exactly what would have happened if the passer had met up with a car or truck in the ‘passing lane’. This is my 'artistic' son ... like me a 'picture is worth a 1000 words'.

I would guess not; babies are sort of ‘creatures of habit’ … they like to see a ‘familiar face’ always be ‘that’ familiar ‘face’ … no changes.

We’d always have a Jack-O-Lantern when we lived in town; and one year the boys decided they were too ‘old’ to help me. So I decide that I would do it myself. I cut it open, scooped it out; got Louis’ drill and made it to look like “Jason’s mask”. Then I turned out the lights to the foyer and sat down beside the door and listened to what the comments were. Then I would open the door and scream. They’d be off the stoop in record time.

Even ‘fur babies’ don’t like a drastic change.

Allie – We are all sending HUGE {{{{{HUGS}}}}}. You will be ‘ok’ … it is a hard thing to ‘jump’ but have FAITH – which is … ‘first you jump; then the net appears’ … it will be there; you might fall a long way and you might hit a few sticks and stones on the way down; but … you can do this … FOR YOURSELF … you are far more worth a Million than to be treated like a ‘dirty penny’. Nobody said that ‘it would be something that sissies do’ … it will take a lot of fortitude … and you’ve got it!!!! Believe in yourself.

Penny – RITFLMAO!!!! So today is your ‘mind in the gutter’ day? I had one a few days ago, can’t even remember what it was about. Aren’t Polar Bears one of the most aggressive of the bears? I don’t think they are as big as a Kodiak … which believe me … I think I would be ‘digging a hole to the other side of the earth if I saw one’. Their claws are about the size of my hand, cut in two. That’s damn closesto have a Polar Bear around your place. Foot print was HUGE!!!!!

Pip – Pretty nails; now all you need to do is go buy you a ‘big’ bottle of polish remover when you get ready to take the ‘glitter’ off. It does not come off without a fight.

Michele – I update my medical history and medication list every month so that I know if something happens, it is current. I carry one in my purse, there is one in my medication bag, and one in each vehicle we own. But, more importantly … I have a Medic Alert bracelet now; although I had been wearing a necklace. When I had my last ‘seizure’ – I was at the bank; and, between what the loan officer told the EMT and the fact that he saw two chains around my neck, he could call Louis and tell him what was going on, and it also says, ‘medical history in purse’. So when I came to, and was ‘on the gurney’ he said, ‘you had a seizure, you’ll be ok, we’ve called your husband and he will meet us at the hospital'. I looked at him and asked him ‘how he knew all that’? I had had a wreck about 2 blocks away 5 days earlier and that was ‘where my mind had gone’. I kept telling him that “I did NOT turn in front of the guy’ … “No m ’ham, you’re at the bank.” DUH!!!! I shut my eyes and do not remember anything until Louis pulled open the curtain. I must have hit the desk or chair on my way down.

Barb – I only weigh-in every other Tuesday. And I wear the ‘lightest’ weight of clothing I can for the weather; but, I ‘try’ to wear the same ‘thing’ every weigh-in day. They weigh me on a special scale that breaks down % of fat, muscle, water, torso, each leg, and each arm, also my BMI. When I get to my goal BMI, then we will talk about where I need to be within that scale.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,534 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    SPIN- 40min, 78r, 8w, 10-16g, 154mhr, 10.4mi = 347c
    apple watch- 331c
    jog- 29.16min, 6.1-8.0sp, 9.27ap, 139ahr, 156mhr, 5k = 309c
    apple watch- 155mhr, 358c
    total cal 656

grits -yeah, I'm aware of the glitter removal, it is a b(*&#@ch

I have the best husband ever.he was on the phone with apple care for almost 5 hrs, fixing the computer issue and syncing the old computer iTunes playlists over to the new one, then getting them on the iPod and getting them over to my id.. long story but it's all finally fixed!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Becca – sorry you are low energy, but LOVE the cartoon.

Marcelyn – amazing

Karen in Virginia – what a cutie

Bonsallduck – you just joined – welcome!

Katie – Hip Hip Hooray!

Penny – Love the comment on Kirby’s *kitten* we all think he’s a hottie, and if we don’t watch out Pip won’t let any of us met them in person for fear we’ll droll all over!

Michele – yeah the cards are haunting me!

8 more roses trimmed today, and I got them done in 3 hours – which is really fast! These are all specialty roses -- this client has roses that in many cases are growing only at her house – she used to test roses for Hybridizers from all over the world, while she doesn’t do that any more the roses are still there. I generally figure 30-40 minutes for the bush roses, 60-90 minutes for the ramblers and 2-3 hours for the climbers (they can be 20 feet pre-pruning)

We have these days called “spare the air” when no wood (or other solid fuel) burning is allowed, it is to control particulate matter in the air – the main way I heat my house is a wood burning stove, so I am dealing with limited heat today and tomorrow… tonight I am making dog biscuits they cook for a long time so that helps warm the house, and tomorrow I have a turkey carcass in the freezer that I will cook up for broth….

So I think I’ll take those cards into the kitchen and see if I can get a few written… Michele you guilted me into it. LOL

January Goals:
    Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it. Jan. still working on this….**** GET THIS DONE*******
    Read and report on a book –
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday –
    Work on water consumption –
    Lunch with Kyle -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie: Congratulations on your weight loss. You are doing great! :star::heart:

Pip: You always put a smile on my face. :devil: I love the party nails. Very glamorous. :star:

Penny: I was doing my best at being logical when I interpreted bouncing a coin off of Kirby's "kitten." In my world of slang, males do not have "kittens." They have other equipment, such as abs and buns. :embarassed: Beautiful moonlight photos. Thanks for sharing. :smiley:

We are facing some very interesting weather in the next 24 hours or so. We have snow on the ground, some of it melting, predicted freezing rain after 4am, and a flood watch in the Portland area over the next couple of days. They've been talking about smaller creeks that are prone to flooding. Usually the smaller creeks are the places that flood in heavy rain events. Our town has not been specifically mentioned in the warnings so far. The Columbia has lots of room to get deeper before flooding occurs where we live. BUT we were able to buy this house 20 years ago because the river flooded, all of the homes here had water inside, and the buyer for our place walked away. I'll check in as I can. I'm hopeful for no damage and no power outages. We'll see.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hello again
    Not sure what happened to my post but I don't see it. It was long so probably just as well. Today is a new day.

Allie - thinking of you. So much good advice on here. It is hard to end a chapter of your life but remember you can't start a new one without this one coming to an end.
    NO!NO!NO! DO Not Let Him Live with You. He has broken your trust, remember that.

Cheri - Enjoy Disney

Kelly - the baby shower pictures are adorable.

Chris - Women helping women - got to love that.

gotu52- You're doing great. I think improving your calorie burn by 400 is an accomplishment.
    Where in Saskatchewan are you from? I lived in Kindersley for 7 years.

Marcelynh- Yeah for you! You finished your Marathon! Can you hear me cheering?

Beth - Happy to hear that your DH is making progress

Karen - Your DGD is a little sweetie

Carey - I wish there was better news about your eye problem.

dr.katiebug - Awesome! That's quite an accomplishment.

Birthday party for DGD was a lot of fun. DD made some awesome cakes. She credits me with teaching her to bake and decorate but mine were never as creative as what she does.
    Went to a movie yesterday. I try to convince DH that sometimes it would be nice to go visit someone. He is a creature of habit. Sunday at 4 we go to a movie. Good thing we have the Movie Mill.
    Work is still hard. I am working on revising one of our training manuals right now. I am still trying to get this all sorted out.

I have been going through the boxes and shredding. Today I came across papers from when we trying to get our visitation rights straightened out. 30 years later the allegations and accusations still make me so angry. I also found a pendant that Larry had cut, polished and set. He is a talented man.

I am still reading the year of No Sugar. I will let you know when I start. This is going to be interesting.

-Sharon in windy but warm Lethbridge
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    <3
    Kate UK
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    Options
    <3
    Mary from Minnesota
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Good morning everyone, day 2 of a good sleep. This is really my main goal as I have terrible sleep problems. Some is hormonal, some is related to comfort as I cannot sleep in a bed as it hurts my back. I have tried so many types of specialty beds that now I spend most of the night on my lazy boy. My job is stressful so that is a factor. So when I do sleep well it is the greatest feeling!

Sharon I was born in Saskatoon. Like to hear your thoughts on the No Sugar
    Goldberry Welcome and good luck on your goal!
    Katia We live in a flood zone so I get the concern. My thoughts are with you.
    Kim Interesting concept "spare the air"
    Pipcd You do have a cool hubbie. Love the nails!
    Barbie Good luck with the dog search, the right one WILL find you
    Barb Congrats on the loss. I used to weigh daily, now I only weigh in Monday's which makes the day special!
    Jane Welcome. All my best for your surgery and what a great goal for April
    Nancy welcome, have you tried making cauliflower rice?
    Penny the pics are breathtaking
    Michele Wow awesome on the plank time. I am only able to do 45 sec now but I am going to catch you girl

Have a great day everyone❤
    Sarah from Ontario, Canada
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    having a cup of tea, and working from 8:30-6 today..will take the boys for a walk before work ..
    I haven't been able to see my DFIL as I have to be to work before they have breakfast.. and will be watching Faith thursday -Sunday
    Sean and Jean need some time away.. Jean has been working 7 days a week and Faith is 24 hr care now.. one stipulation in the trust is that she be cared for at home,, so they get caregivers in when there is not someone there..
    they will be paying me to stay with her, so that money will be set aside for attorney if needed.
    If I could get Tom to agree to split everything, money homes etc 50/50 and we go through mediation it would be so much easier.. but why would he do that?
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    chris fantastic results!

Allie print Lisa's post that is above mine. Read it every time you feel scared or sad. You can do this and it will get better.

Planning for a good day. :)

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,534 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    <3
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Katla - I hope you know I think you're one of the most level-headed people in the world. :flowerforyou: Of course you were thinking logically about Kirby's "kitten". I was too, but my logic was more along the lines of "Hmmm, you usually bounce a dime off a tightly made bed, but it couldn't be that. Now what else could it be...?"

Incidentally (since you said liked my moonshine pics) the moonscape in your current profile pic is pretty spectacular too!

Joyce - Fully grown male polar bears can weigh 1½ tons. Not exactly cuddly. Lenora - That makes them about the same size as Kodiak bears. It isn't so much their aggressiveness that makes them dangerous as the fact that they're totally unpredictable.

Jaja99 - I've lived north of the Arctic Circle since 2004 and north of the 78th parallel since 2010. Longyearbyen is a fantastic place to live, but I readily admit: it ain't for everyone :laugh:

Speaking of which, we've got a little problem right now: those three bears have come back again. They appear hell bent on visiting! A woman who lives on the edge of town got woken up by her dogs at 5 am this morning. She looked out and saw the bears passing by her house, heading west toward the center of Longyearbyen. She got dressed, grabbed her flare gun, and drove the long way around to see if she could head them off. By the time she found them again they were walking along the street between two rows of houses! She drove very slowly toward them and they turned around and strolled back east.

The Governor's office is keeping close tabs on the bears, but it's snowing like crazy right now, and visibility is so poor they can't use the helicopter. They're asking everyone to take precautions. Guess who's NOT going out jogging today.

On the other hand, I DO need to go shopping. I've been out of rutabaga for two days and my veggie box simply isn't the same without rutabaga. :noway: So somehow I must brave the weather (and the bears) and hie me to the grocery store. If I'm lucky, I'll also be able to buy some of the fermented milk I use in my breakfast every day. The weather has put a stopper on deliveries of fresh produce for a couple days and the store was completely out of all the unflavored/unsweetened fermented milk products. The mail plane flew up yesterday with supplies, but couldn't land and had to return to the mainland. Ah, the vicissitudes of life in the Arctic...

/Penny, relishing every single minute of life near the North Pole