WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn: Congrats. Soooo proud of you.

Karen in VA: Sweetest picture of your DGD. She'd have my heart, too

I fasted over my birthday, and abstained from any shopping. Spent alot of time reading, napping with the cat and catching up on free movies on Amazon. Today the scaled rewarded me. I'm officially within 10 pounds of my goal of 145. Woooohoooo! :blush:

Today I'll start to tackle the tax workbook, but first, need to slog through a couple inches of fresh snow to get to the gym.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning My Dear Friends,

Janetr, so happy that you and others didn’t have major ice from the storm. When I watch the national weather I think of all of you in your different parts of the country and how it could affect you. Everyone please stay safe.

Marcelyn, congratulations on finishing the ½ marathon. Way to go!!!!

Barb, you are so right that men lose weight faster and easier than women. Somehow that just doesn’t seem right! My DH loses when I eat right even though he still eats cookies and ice cream. Ppffttt

Katla, how nice that someone helped with the new wipers. I’m sure you pay it forward in many ways. You know, sometimes just a smile and a kind word from a stranger can make a huge difference in someone’s day.

Pip, just seeing that picture of your shoulder again gives me the willies. Ewwwwwww

Kim, I never thought of your gardening job being all year. I guess you have to make hay while the sun shines but don’t over do. gardening-smiley-emoticon.gif

Beth, so glad your hubby is improving. (((Hugs))) for you both.

Allie, I know what you mean about needing the Tylenol after doing all that moving. Packing and moving at my friend’s house has certainly used muscles that normally rest. It’s been a workout which is good since it is keeping me from the gym. I will be like starting over when I get back in there.

Today the movers are scheduled to come load up what is being shipped to Texas for my friend. They are supposed to call me an hour before they get there and I was up before 6 am waiting for the call. It’s now 8:30 and I haven’t heard from they yet which means they may not get there until 10 or 11:00. Boo hiss. I want to get this over with!

I’m getting to know some of the newer ladies from reading your posts. I haven’t responded to some of you because I don’t know your name and your screen name is too confusing to type. If you are willing it is so nice when you sign each post with the name you want to be called. It gives you more of an identity and makes it so much easier to respond. It is of course your option and not a requirement. Lol It’s so nice to have so many new ladies this year.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

P S As soon as I posted this, the driver called and they will be at the house in an hour to load up. woo hoo
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Becca – Hope you will much better very soon. I had a total hysterectomy when I was 35yo; was not expecting much as they put me on hormone replacement; but, after about 3 months or doing several changes, I told OB/GYN I’d rather NOT take them than put my family at risk of all being smothered in their beds at night. Once I came off them, I returned to my normal ‘crazy-@$$ed self they knew and loved so dearly.

Love the picture – sometimes, so do I. I, at least, take one (sometimes both) days off on weekends.

Karen – Such a beautiful. I can remember that last year, our 10-year-old DYGD was able to spend the night off (for two nights running) to make sure she would not get homesick so this other family could take her ‘off’ on vacation. She did so well on the first night, they kept her the 2nd … still did well.

gotu52 – Highlight the name or whatever, then click on the (“B”) at the top of the box and it will bold. You will see a ("") before the name; and, then it will also show a ("") at the end of the name. To change the color of a name (or) post; highlight the name or whatever; then, put your cursor right before the ("") and without any spaces type the “[" (left bracket); then “color=whatever color you want”; then type the “]” (right bracket) which will change the color of the name. Then when you get finished and want to change back to “black”; go to the end of the name or whatever; (if you had bold-ed it, then start typing at the end of the name and after the ("") ... repeat the same instructions and type “black” as your color. then …! You can 'bold' the name or not; whichever you wish to do. I prefer to 'bold' the names because it makes it easier to see most colors; and to make any changes before I have ('bold'ed) the name or whatever. Some colors are just too 'light' to show up, even if 'bold-ed'. I do my 'bold' before I change the color. Sorry, but, I cannot actually 'type' what I am trying to show you about the b's that are the symbols that you will see after you have bold-ed something ... you will just have to play around with it. I'll send you a PM (if you will accept my "friend request"). And try to let you understand what I am trying to do that typing and posting this message just disappears.

IF you have any questions concerning this ... you will have to see me a friend request, which I will accept, then I will be able to send you 'hopefully' better instructions then. There might be others who can make it more understandable. I can't make it 'unbold' where I want it to, and the b is not showing up in brackets and the /b is not showing up either. When you highlight a name and hit the B at the top of the box, you will see where they appear; then when you want to change the color you need to first be before the first bracket; and, when you want to change back to black you will need to be behind the /b It is just something you have to do and see how it works, it is difficult to type it in without the 'b' missing between the quotation marks.

Lenora
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Penny: Greetings to you as well. Glad the trip to the airport was made safely by all. I too know what the Iditarod is. :)

Re:Waves...thinking of you :)

Toni: Yes my eyes are still bad and more sensitive to light than before. I went to another ophthamalogist to see if I was a candidate for laser surgery to resurface my cornea. He doesn't want to do it as my eye sight is still too good. So apparently there is no relief for the pain, discomfort and light sensitivity. I've been doing research so I bought something called tranquileyes that helps to get more consistent hot compresses on the eyes and I also wear them at night to protect from the air expelled from the cpap machine. I look like a mini martian! :) I'm hoping that continuing with the compresses, natural tears, eye margin cleaning will eventually help.

DJ: Glad the friends move is finishing up for you. :)

The weather was unseasonably warm this weekend. We went from -35C to 1C... only in Alberta. Have a wonderful day ladies!

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Jan:
    - Increase walking to 7500 per day by end of month
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    (((Becca)))
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    My DS called yesterday out of the blue. My DGS was there so got to talk to both. It's hard b/c neither talk much on their own. I have to prompt. Then, my D-step-GS called. Another non- talker! THEM my X-DIL called! Wanted to invit me to DGS b-day party at Dave and Busters on the 28th. Funny part of all this is that I had not heard from anybody since Christmas! I was flabbergasted!

Did not want to get up this morning. Depression not giving up. I am trying the fake it till I make it process, but getting harder to keep up.

Going to go walk dogs in the sun. That should help a little.

Rita from CT
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Carey - Northern Alberta - My DH swears that I'd make an excellent Darth Vader at Halloween; by wearing a black judge's robe and a black tablecloth over my head while wearing my C-pap machine and plugged in and try to talk. If we were still living in a neighborhood, in town, I would have done this to hand out Halloween candy. The wife of one of our Judges always dressed up like a witch and sat on their porch with a cauldron that had dry ice in the bottom of it; she made a 'good - bad witch'; whether dressed up (or not). M-E-O-W! The younger kids in the neighborhood would stand out by the curb and not go up until a group of larger kids went up and one would be willing to hold their hands. She had this red light behind the rocking chair she sat in. Very spooky looking.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited January 2017
    Options
    >:)o:)o:)o:):o
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    rori wonderful reward for all your sustained efforts--that goal is in your sights! I am doing a no spend month-kind of like a detox but for my wallet and it is a revealing experience.

DJ glad the movers called.

Heather what type of clothes do you think are appropriate for Moroccan tourist? I think you've been there? I hope I can wear jeans and tunics blouses, or long skirt--are shorts inappropriate?? I don't think it's going to be too hot there when we are there mid-February

NYKAREN
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Morning all!

Rori - I have only 1/2 inch of dense grainy snow at 7am. The storms that come up from the South rarely give us more than that while the Denver area gets much more. I was hoping I could get the leaf blower out and clean the drive with it, but the snow is too dense. I really don't like shoveling snow and there is not enough to use the Snow Beast on it. Sigh, my exercise waits me.

I'm preparing for a quilting retreat up in Estes Park later on in the week. Estes sits at the entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park in a nice bowl. I think the altitude is around 6,000 feet. I normally live at 5,000 ft so all should be well.

A small group of ladies who I meet with monthly and quilt all manner of things are packing up and heading into the mountains to one member's vacation home for 4 days and 3 nights of just us girls. It is our first overnight trip together as a group. We have broken into 'teams' and each team will cook dinner one night for all of us. Of course I have a great crock pot Tarragon Chicken recipe that my team will make. The rest of the dinner is calorie friendly for the most part and I should have no problem keeping near my calorie count each day.

This time of year can be somewhat tricky traveling in and out of the high country with snow a frequent occurrence. I'm hoping we don't get too much snow while we are there, what's already on the ground is quite enough for me. It looks like the days we travel in and out will be clear and sunny but snow each day we are there is forecast.

Charleen in Colorado (Busy gathering projects to take on the road)

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6x5x30
    Kettlebell Swing- 40x7x30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-4x12
    Sit ups-4X 12
    Jumping jacks-4X 12

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

ketonekaren- that was a broken shoulder, it didn't hurt when that pic was taken. I do a yearly bike ride for the MS society (2day ride), I waited until after the ride to get the surgery done. tj6812xgcrhw.jpg

it wasn't a bike accident, I fell down stairs in Las Vegas, going from one side of the strip to the other. I don't remember a thing., I wasn't plastered either. I have a plate in there now, it healed nicely

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    NY Karen - I think you will have to take a range of clothes as you could have some chilly, damp nights. It could rain. Layers, layers, layers. I personally wouldn't wear shorts, but I never wear them anyway. You should have some nice, warm, sunny days. B)

We've had the viewing. No idea how it went. We went out. I've nearly finished getting stuff together, but haven't put anything in a suitcase yet. :o Going to ring the cell phone company to make sure I've got roaming if I need it. I'm getting the odd wave of anxiety and my usual bad back :sad: , but it could be worse.

Congratulations Rori! So near!

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I caught up on reading and again made me so glad I found this wonderful group of support and sharing. I'm feeling good that I found a yoga group that is turning out to be lots of fun. It happens to be a fun group and we do lots of laughing together. It helps that the instructor is also a very mature woman and recognizes that we aren't a bunch of hard bodied young women who bend easily. ;)
    My first marriage was a mess but I have two wonderful adult sons from the disastrous marriage. After 15 years I married a second time.... and this time I got it right. Today is the 24th anniversary of my marriage to Jack. It's been good and Allie as I read your posts, I say just be careful and take care of yourself. Rita, positive thoughts to you.... I've been there too.
    Haven't lost weight lately but I'm more active, trying to watch my sugar and carbs. Thanks everyone for your sharing,
    Betsy in NW Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    gotu52: In order to bold you have to surround the word or name with symbols from the keyboard. I'll separate them so you can see what they are [ b ] goto52 [ / b ]. To make them work take away the extra spaces. There are also symbols to use in the MFP reply box. Since I nearly always type my replies into a word document, I go ahead and put the codes in myself. :smiley:

Rori: You did a great job celebrating your birthday. Congratulations on the good news from your scale. Nice way to celebrate. :heart:

DJ: Our day was certainly made much better by our Good Samaritan. He was a walking blessing for us. We'll look for opportunities to pay it forward. :star:

Rita: I'm sending positive thoughts your way along with reminders that there are things that can help. Even a little help is good: Vitamin D3, aerobic exercise, solar temperature (bright) lights, medicine if you have it. Avoid alcohol. It is a depressant.. :grumble: (((HUGS)))

Charleen: I visited Estes Park to attend a teaching workshop about 20+/- years ago. We stayed at a YMCA camp. It was midsummer so snow wasn't a problem, but I live near sea level and had altitude headaches nearly every day. We went up to Continental Divide one day. The views were glorious. I didn't have problems going up, but developed a very nasty headache going back down to the camp where we were staying. The camp facilities reminded me of the college dormitory where I lived my first year of college. The whole experience was an adventure & is now a good memory, despite the frequent headaches at the time. :heart:

Pip: You are one tough lady. I remember how much I admired your courage throughout the whole thing. I also remember the idiot doctor who thought you didn't need to have the shoulder fixed. Wasn't it because you worked in an office? He still makes me mad. :devil: :grumble:

It looks like we will have a sunshiney day today. The weather forecast is for a high of 37F. I hope it is in the right zone for a gradual melt off.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Karen ~ Love your granddaughter's red hair. So pretty. My 6 and 5 yr old grands will not spend the nite away from home - even at my house. The 5 yr old hops in the bed with Mommy and Daddy every night.

Marcelyn ~ Congrats on your medal.

Rori ~ Happy late birthday wishes.

Becca ~ Sorry you are having a tough time.

I did my Monday morning weigh in today and found that I am back to the weight I began with 3 yrs ago when I first joined MFP. I really do not overeat but I do eat too many carbs. Love salty snacks but not sweets. And of course there is the wine. I wish I could screw up the courage to go back to the ortho doc and get my knee(s) replaced so maybe I could exercise more.

Carol ~ GA
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    Gym this morning 3 rounds on weight machines 15 mins bike, 15 mins rower, 15 mins treadmill
    15 min HasFit video this afternoon feeling good food good

Lenora When you had your hysterectomy and then came off HRT are you protected against Osteoporosis. I worry about that as my mom and a cousin suffered badly through having Osteoporosis.

Kate UK
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hello to another week!

I spent the weekend at Dad's river house with my nephew and his boyfriend. By wandering around with my cell phone held up in the air, I managed to connect just long enough to keep my log-in streak going, but I didn't do any tracking. We ate pretty well though, and I love spending time at that beautiful place. I'm not sure we'll be able to keep it in the family once Dad is gone, but we surely do enjoy it in the meantime. It was my mom's dream, and I always feel close to her there.

My next challenge for myself is stepping up the intensity of my exercise. I find that even though I can easily do a half an hour or more on the Nordic Track or exercise bike, that doesn't really translate into practical use. I.e., I still get winded and pooped when actually walking or riding. It's appalling how out of condition that month on the sofa after the knee injury left me, and how long it's taking to come back! Anyhow, I think I need to work harder when I'm exercising indoors, and start substituting some actual walks and rides for the machines when I can. Might as well enjoy the weather before it gets too hot to go out!

-Yvonne in TX