1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    20,000 steps
    180 minutes walking Sasha
    34 minutes riding the exercise bike
    10 minutes doing physical therapy exercises

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies. Caught up and still have some battery left.
    Re-it is a good idea to fix your treats in single servings. However, this time around I have discovered that if I don't eat candy, I don't go off the rails. Somehow it triggers a desire for me to eat more sweets. So the bottom line is whatever works keep on doing it. My DGKs go to school in Addison.
    Heather-so glad you have recovered. Whenever we visit Mexico we are very careful about where we eat and drink.
    Mary-thanks for your encouragement. It means a lot to me to have a friend rooting for me. When do we weigh and measure again?
    Sherry- glad you have a friend who helped you get relief from your pain.
    Michele- you guys really do holidays in a big way. Your daughters dress is lovely.
    Went to have car maintance today and I had specifically told them I wanted to have the recall on a part taken care of at the same time. An hour and a half later they said or was ready but they had to order the part......duh, why didn't they order it earlier? It takes us an hour and a half to drive there so we were not happy.
    SueBDew in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Carol, SueWA, and everyone else- thank you for the nice compliment about my daughter

NYKaren - yes, that is her wedding dress. She still has to pick out the veil.

Need to share this. As we were going to PA, Jess calls. See..,.a few years ago she was diagnosed with HPV. She routinely goes for pap smears. Well, it turns out that the last few that she had were abnormal. Evidently (she talked to Vince mostly) the cells are more abnormal than previously. Since they're slow growing cells, she's supposed to go back to her MD in November when they'll test again and see if she needs further testing. I really don't understand why they just don't zap those cells (radiation) to prevent them from growing. But then again, I'm not a MD

Alison - so glad you were there for that lady

Heather - Hope you feel better fast. It is so horrible to be sick on your vacation.

Molly - welcome!

Katie - you and your mom look fantastic! Don't you just hate it when you find that you could have bought something somewhere else for less? And not to be able to return it.....

Re - I do the same thing...make individual bags of things and just have that portion. You'll get to Onderland with your determination! I agree that fat does add flavor. Plus...it helps to keep you really full

Thank you everyone for the compliments on the dolphin. Now on to the bee!!!

Have the Newcomer board meeting tomorrow. Then want to buy gas for my car (it's pretty low) and Vince needs to check the Newcomer mailbox since the other person who has a key to it is away.

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Sherry, I’m surprised you didn’t just call the ambulance. That is terrible that the advocate did absolutely nothing. Get better fast.

Leigh, thanks for the name and location. If you forget….after you post, in the upper right hand corner is a gear that if clicked, will allow you to edit your post for up to an hour. I didn’t know about it for months after I started posting.

Lisa, it’s wonderful that you have a buyer and a backup. Good luck on all that’s ahead.

MicheleNC, I love the dress. Is that the one she picked? Like the porpoise too. You are really getting good at that.

Meg, I hope your headache is gone when you wake up.

Heather, so sorry about your experience. Thankfully the only thing that has happened to me on our various trips to Mexico was to get attacked by the “Tequila Monster” on one trip. That took me a day and a half to recover from. Hope you are better soon!! (((Hugs)))

Kelly, I did enjoy the talking dog and cat videos. Thanks.

I ran through the posts and still have a page to go but the bed is calling me. Didn’t do much today other than cook. Tomorrow I hope to be more productive.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Pialove16
    Pialove16 Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

50+ in age and over poundage!!
    Joined on Sunday after 2 yr absence. Doing great! Feel determined after too many years of struggle. Please friend me for support. This is such a great app for support AND structure that always works for me. Let's do this for 2017!!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Grace – could you plan something special for each Sunday? When I was a kid, Sunday was always a roasted something – Pot Roast, Roasted Chicken, Beef Roast… with salad, veggie, and a starch, then mom had left overs for a meal or two during the week..Not that you should do a roast, but something planned…so you had one “good” filling meal for the day planned….

Marni – love the idea of the dog barking at the TV with your DH

KatieBug – here’s to your Michele Obama Arms (not political – she just has great arms!)

Gloria and Beth – thank you for your comments about sharing what we are doing – On Saturday I was so excited to share with my friends(you all) about some great people and community, read the posts – wrote “I had a good day” and cried myself to sleep because I could not share with my friends here… I felt censored… but by morning I had a work around so on my home page I am sharing the things I am doing, my thoughts and feelings that are not acceptable here.

Sarah – I hate it when I have a good week and the scale doesn’t reflect it… try measuring sometimes that tells you what you want to know! -- Later – I am sorry to hear you had such a scare; sounds like all is ok now. Take care of yourself.

Penny – thanks for the Heather update!

Sherry – so thankful you have such nice friends! You’ve lost 260lbs? WOW!!!!! --Later I must have mis-read that but down to 260 is awesome ! And less meds is always good!

Rita – way to go!!!!

Cheri – excellent – I agree with you about how much I have learned about choices.

Allie – so glad you were there to help!

Lisa – Laughing about the chicken theme, so maybe not earnest money but eggs? Lol

Heather – glad to hear things are s l o w l y getting better.

January Goals:
    Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it. Jan. still working on this….**** GET THIS DONE*******
    Read and report on a book –
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday –
    Work on water consumption –
    Lunch with Kyle -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Great pics ladies..thanks for sharing :)
    KJ: Cute Videos :smile:
    Heather: Glad you're on the mend...what a way to spend a holiday
    Re: Thinking of you and the ortho visit

Finally managed to get the ornaments of the tree and all of the other decorations put away tonight. Tomorrow I'll take the tree apart and get it in the box. I'm trying out my new humidifier to see if it will help..it's so dry here that the machine did the blinky thing for RH's under 31%. I take it that means it is DRY. Even after running all night it only got to 35% humidity. The recommended % is 40.

Managed to catch up on posts...have a good evening friends

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Jan:
    - Increase walking to 7500 per day by end of month
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Heather I got sick when I was in Mexico too. Awful. The nurse at the hotel gave me something that finally to start clearing it up. I know you may not be ready to hear this but when you get home make sure you take plenty of probiotics to get your gut healthy again. I did not know what I know now. My immune system was weaken by the illness in Mexico and I got the Swine flu about a month after our return because of my weakened immune system. I think I would have avoided getting the flu or a lesser case if I had strengthened my gut after our return home.

(((Heather)))

Joyce I watched NCIS tonight too. I think it was one of their best episodes ever.

Still need to work on getting off computer earlier and bed earlier too.

I had a tough morning. The class I had in the morning was one of those lacking respect. Not a pretty sight. I was exhausted when I was done. I was supposed to have a different class and the schedule changed. The secretary thought she was giving me a good class in place of the one I was expecting. The sad thing is I will not take an assignment like that again at that school because of the switch.
    :heart: Margaret
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Glo – When I get my thyroid levels checked, they do a TSH, T3 and T4; usually the dosage is correct; but, with some of the medications I take for other reasons, it gets ‘whacked’ out. You’re right getting SSD is a ‘process’ [more like a B****] and ‘long and frustrating process’. Most people are basically ‘forced’ to hire a SS attorney in order to get it out of the hands of the SS Judge and into the hands of a Federal Magistrate who will make a ruling; and, I ‘guess’ depending on how the Federal Judge or Magistrate agree on how they will be handled … it either stays for the Magistrate to handle, or possibly go to the Federal Judge of the District. All have their ways of handling cases. Many, many places are back-logged terribly. When my boss was appointed the Federal Magistrate ... there was a 2 1/2 year backlog. That is bad! Between working on them and doing all the 'criminal' stuff the Federal Judge would also let him handle some of his cases. We worked our butts off. But, I loved my job and really hated to have to go out on a disability. Less than a year before he was to retire, they found that he had liver cancer. Because the could detect a heart murmur he was born with, he was not a candidate for a liver transplant. He had to go 'out on a medical disability'. The attorneys in town gave him a 'reception' and I almost burst into tears when he told everybody that 'not until he had to take a medical leave, did he understand what I had gone through' ... he loved his job, too.

pitegny – It is heartbreaking. Stories about the children are just heart-wrenching. This is right on the heels of a ‘straight-line wind’ storm that hit Albany on 1/2/17; people in the affected areas are still without power, because they are having to cut their way through the mess. This last one (huge, wedge tornado) stayed on the ground through several counties; and, if you were ‘in the way’ … you might as well bend over and kiss your @$$ goodbye. It took out a big mobile home park; where most of the people were Hispanic, retired military, etc., they probably either did not have anywhere to go that was safe; or maybe did not have a TV because they did not speak English. I come home tonight and Louis said they found 2 children dead today; which makes to toll (in Albany, GA) up to 6. They have not even gotten through the mobile park. Fire Chief said he has never seen anything like it and he had been in the Middle East wars. Said it was worse than a war zone he had been in. They have several emergency services from other parts of the State as the surrounding areas have their own issues to deal with. I don’t know where in SW GA this happened; but, 2 kids were missing. My BF told me at lunch today that they had been found. The 4-year-old had been put into an old walk-in refrigerator box (somewhere); the 2-month-old had been put in his infant carrier into a dryer with towels and pillows around him. Both ok. Of course, I personally have not seen or heard this on TV. She also said that her son said, ‘you always hear that it sounds like a freight train’ … that is ‘exactly’ what it sounds like; but, ‘if’ you hear it, it is ON you!

I think that we actually have only had 4 confirmed deaths in Dougherty County. But, this storm touched 6 counties in the southern part of the State of Georgia.

Storms that hit 6 southern counties in Georgia on Sunday were catorgorized as EF-3 meaning:

Wind Speed: 158 - 206 mph (254 - 332 kph)
    Severe damage: Forests are destroyed as a majority of trees are ripped from the ground; entire trains are derailed and knocked over; walls and roofs are torn from houses

We were 'blessed' that we were not hit; we were right in the path of one of three cones where tornadoes had been confirmed as touching down.

Lisa – Hope the earnest money was sufficient enough that he won’t walk away from it.

Kate – Tornados are worse than hurricanes in a lot of places; because they are so ‘unpredictable’. And, they can occur anywhere the ‘conditions’ are ripe for them.

Nancy – Shrimp in FL are probably ‘more’ expensive than in Louisiana because most of FL is ‘touristy’ and they know it. We ate most of the last container of Will’s gumbo tonight. OMGoodness, it is sssoooo good! He’s coming Thursday to drop of the cap and rack of a buck he killed a few days ago. Tami isn’t able to come; but, it is a “Man’s Weekend” … he will be meeting a bunch of his HS and college buddies for a concert.

Charleen – I’ve had to have my days-in-a-streak reset a couple of times. Mainly because of being ‘out of town’ and not having Internet options.

KJ – My cat can’t say ‘anything’ … he has allergies, it will get so bad that one eye closes (usually his left); have to grab him to put something in his eye; then his nose will run and, then he loses his voice! Nothing is funnier than to see a cat open his mouth like he is meowing but can’t … we could put any voice to him.

Michele – Thanks. Such heartache dealing with the storms and aftermath. Rode by our old house; and the big tree in front of our MBR window was uprooted and fell away from the house into the street. So happy that the woman who bought the house wasn’t hurt.

Beautiful wedding dress; is this the one she picked?

Love the dolphin.

I think I tend to be on the ‘gotta do something NOW’ routine whenever I find a lump in one of my breast. Both older sisters are 'breast cancer survivors' Even though my middle sister has not hit that 5-year mark and been told that she is 'cancer-free'; but, she is 'still' a survivor. I don’t have any of the equipment needed, so I don’t have to worry about cervical cancer; but, I had received an email about a test – "C-125". It was about a woman who had had a total hysterectomy, yet still presented with ‘ovarian cancer’ … I took it with me to the GYN, he read it and they took me back to the lab to draw more blood. My Mother died from complications of ovarian cancer. The cancer was not what killed her – she had an enlarged heart. We were advised by her MD (a HS classmate of mine) that putting her through the treatment would more likely ‘kill her’ before the cancer. At her age, 86 – we chose not to put her through the treatment.

Becca – GREAT weight loss … I thought that ‘maybe’ today I would have ‘jumped off that plateau’ … WRONG! Been a solid month with no movement either way. GGRRrrrrr!!! But, the nurse said she was proud, so I will take that as a NSV. I told her that I had been being hungry between meals, so she said since I had ‘upped’ my exercise; I needed to up my protein; and my CI will be a little different now. Guess that means I can now ‘eat back my exercise calories’.

Meg – We have the same problem with a ‘close’ family member. Last time she came over (even though she had been told ‘not’ to by husband) … well, I let my DH do all the talking! She’s only been down once since and that was to bring me a watch she had found (has flamingos on the face of it) then said that ‘I had actually bought it for myself’, since she used the gift card balance she had left on the Christmas gift card. What do you say? “Thank you?” She stayed exactly 4 minutes.

Katla – I’m an ‘organ donor’, too! I figure if they can use anything that is still viable, go ahead and take it.

Heather – I’m so sorry that you’ve been ill most of the time while on vacation. After 4 days of not eating much but a banana and dry toast and you still are hanging out in restrooms, you really need to have someone ‘check on you’. If you can pinch your skin on the top of your hands and it slowly rolls back into place; you are dehydrated; the slower, the worse. You cannot lose 15% of your body weight and get well without help. It sounds like it could be salmonella. You need to seek medical attention if you remain ill after more than 7 days; you have severe or bloody diarrhea, or you have a fever of 101.5F or higher for more than a day. You should consult a doctor is you are 65 or older … or have a weakened immune system. You might need antibiotics or, possibly hospitalization. You need to do whatever it takes to get ‘well’ so you can get back to seeing those sweet grandchildren. Don’t just let it ‘run what you think is its normal course’ … go to the ER or have the place you are staying see about getting a MD to come there, if necessary. Sure hope you do not ‘look’ like “Delhi Belly” … that’d be ghastly!!!

Yeah, our body has more than ½ of it as water … so you do not need to be losing too much of it.

Re – We are on a ‘list’ with Sumter Electric of needing our power restored ASAP for ‘medical reasons’; but, I guess if someone is on ‘oxygen’ that would be considered a higher priority than a C-pap. I was told once when I called about it that I needed to have a 2nd-ary place to go if the power went out. Yeah! Right, Jack … I will remember that as I drive 30 miles into town hoping that there is ‘power’ there. It is certainly a ‘rude’ awakening, for sure … I usually bolt straight up in bed, scaring poor old Louis to death … the mask goes flying off and I am jumping up and then out of bed, sucking in as much air as possible! You would have thought someone screamed “SPIDER!”

I went for my every other week weigh-in and ‘absolutely nothing’ had changed. Told the nurse that I had bumped my walking on the treadmill to 30 minutes; was getting a little hungry during the day; so she told me again to ‘up my protein’ … this time she wrote out a ‘good menu’ to follow, that will make it easier to follow.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    When I got my SSD, I was denied for the 2-3 times you have to be before you go before a judge. It really didn't take to long for the whole process. When it went to the judicial judge stage, I got the notification stage and a date and name of judge. I had this sinking feeling in my tummy because I knew the judge. He was a fellow volunteer at the hospice program I was with and we went through 16 hours of training together. So I had to call and let them know. But he had already let them know. At the volunteer Christmas program he told me that after reading the material on me that he was almost ready to make his ruling that it was approved without the hearing and then saw my name. I'm at least glad he was honest.

We have a great program that finished today here in Evansville. Our police department get fund raising from public and from within them selves to take 48 kids to DisneyWorld for 4 days. I don't know how many police go but their intent is to get to know the kids in a fun atmosphere and let them have a chance to go some where they would never be able to go. They are picked from 3 different middle schools that are all inner city. This is the 4th year and the kids know they are under the microscope to be picked and they are on their toes as far as behavior and grades. Police, their wives, principals, teachers and other adults go as chaperones, girls in one bus, boys in another. Weather was bad enough that they got an additional day since they couldn't drive back. The park honored them, tourists saw their shirts saying what the program was and did stuff like buy them ice cream cones and they even honored one of the police as veteran of the day and he was awarded the American flag during a daily ceremony to take the flag down.

My physical therapy TENS in ruining my love for my ALEVE TENS. It just isn't as strong. Bummer.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: You are definitely the heroine of the day and probably saved the woman from a bad outcome. WTG! I'm proud to know you. :star:

Heather: I am so sorry that you have been suffering all this time. I hope the improvement in your situation keeps on getting better. (((HUGS)))

Sherry: I am happy that you seem to be in a better situation than before and headed for better yet. :smiley:

mollyizzy: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

Dr.Katie: I love the picture of you and your mama. :heart:

Grace in TX: Congratulations on making your step goal!

We had a good day. I walked with a good friend first thing in the morning. Later DH & I went out to lunch at a restaurant that was out of business for a few years but has been reopened. We had burgers for lunch that were made from local beef. When has that every happened? This was the first time in my experience.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Just checking to see how everyone is doing with your workouts and eating goals. Take your 4 week measurements at the end of this week. Don't forget to weigh yourself at least once a week. I weigh daily when I am in a challenge to help see how food choices affect me. It really helps me be more accountable and I tend to make better choices.

Grace- fantastic job on your step goal! Congratulations on your lentil soup recipe success. I love using that recipe creator.

Margaret - awesome job with your exercise! You seem to be doing well.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Finished getting caught up no time to write - on the go since last Friday and won't calm down until Thursday! Love you all!

Gloria in WA
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    You are all so amazing. Being new, it is hard to keep up and follow all of the threads, but I am learning.

DJ - thank you for the editing tip.

Yvonne - your turmeric roast cauliflower soup sounds lovely. You might try this pear-carrot soup: http://ciaoflorentina.com/roasted-pear-soup-recipe/ . I plugged the ingredients into the recipe function and MFP estimated that it is 217 calories per serving. It is a nice change from pumpkin soup.

Mary - Thanks for the info on postmenstrual hormones peaks and weight gain. I never knew this.

Lenora - if your husband ever wants to do research on his French ancestors, I might be able to help.

Kate - sorry about the friend dealing with Alzheimers. We went through it with my grandmother and it is not easy. Another friend here has the same problem. His mother has been in the earlier stages and was still living in her own appartment, but this weekend she was found wandering in town at night without a coat, in 25°F weather. Deciding what to do next is not easy.

Sherry - hope your arm will be better soon.

Annem - I can relate to spiders in the basement. Even our cat will not go down there alone.

I cannot remember whether one of you recommended the book "Weight Loss for Food Lovers: Understanding our Food Loss and Why We Sabotage Our Weight Loss". I cannot find the post and do not remember whether someone mentioned here or in another thread. Thank you whoever it was. I downloaded it and found that it highlights interesting points that I think will help me on my MFP transition to a new way of eating.

Leigh in France
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies just caught up with posts. Been to gym this morning off for shopping trip to town ( we live in suburbs about half hour journey by bus (we have passes so public transport is free, parking in the city is horrendously expensive)
    Main reason for going today is to see how much it will cost to have my lovely cashmere and wool winter coat altered as it's much too big NSV hooray

Kate UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    grace sounds like you are in the right place, doing great with eatablishing new routines for weight loss. I can't say it doesn't get old--but remembering why we are doing it, planning for success, and finding ways to reward ourselves -not sabotage ourselves is the routine that works! Having accountability friends and a place to vent is pretty great too--and calorie free!!!

Heather tred lightly, slow going, sip and nibble. You depart when??

Re we are January babies! My b-day is Friday let the wild rumpus begin. ;) Now I know you guys have read this before so skip it if I'm shamelessly plugging -- my DH shares our birthday and we got married on it as well--one size fits all holiday in our house--he can't forget any of it. 20 years married but have been in each other lives for 30!

Counting blessings (and calories) today. Food prep, prelogging and hitting the gym today. I love wednesdays, favorite day to teach. NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Thanks for all the love.. but I think any normal human would have done the same thing...I didn't do anything except talk to her and let them use a blanket for her, which I will pick up at the police station when I get to it.. Once the police ,and fire dept got there I really was just in the way. I think the plan was they were going to take her to the hospital to get her checked out anyway,, and policeman asked if she had AAA and she said yes so I am guessing they did the towing.. will be interesting to see how they got it off the guardrails...
    I told Tom when I got home, and this is what a putts he is.. he asked why I was on the street I was,because I have to go up a hill.. well I avoid about 6-7 traffic lights that way.. but he was worried about how much gas I was using to go up the hill rather than stop and help someone..