Over 200 New Year New Me Part 26

Options

Replies

• cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    honest to god, its not even that I DONT want to go to the gym...I actually miss it most days. The heat is just beating me down that bad!!! We all already know I am a smoker and I have been refusing to go outside to smoke....Ive cut back from almost a full pack a day to like no where near half a pack a day! Now I realize this is a good thing, but Im just trying to prove the point that not even something Im severly and grossly addicted to is making me go outside...ugh

winter please come back?

And can someone please explain to me why most photographers Ive priced are giving me $4000+ quotes?! Are you kidding me?! I mean I know I am paying for their time as well as the pics but most of the dont even give you the pics they give you the prints then you gotta pay to print it yourself so WTF is costing $4000? I do not get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I 4th the reasons for not losing much weight.

I've only lost 20 pounds since I hit my first mega plateau FIVE months ago.

While I'm very happy to have lost any weight at all since then since I'm pretty sure 80-90% of people would have seriously just given up right then & gained all the weight back, I really really really expected it to be a *lot* more. Today is my 10 monthiversary and when I first started I way over-enthusiastically thought I would have lost 100 pounds by now. 75 is awesome but geez, I still want to lose 40-50 more. I feel like I'm tiptoeing around my metabolism because I'm terrified of having it slow way down again. I'm stoked that I'm still losing weight however slowly with the very comfortable lifestyle I'm managing right now. But honestly I would really like to lose at least a pound a week for the next 5 or 6 months. More would be nice but pretty unrealistic in terms of execution.

My best friend will be staying with me at some point over the next few days (visiting from VA) but I'm going to gather my thoughts and plan my approach and my focus and go at this full force as soon as she leaves. In the meantime I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing (which does work, just slowly).

I think a lot of my problem, too, is that I'm pretty darn happy with myself for losing 75+ pounds. I'm the smallest I've ever been so of course I'm a lot happier with the way I look and the way clothes fit and how much energy I have, and the list goes on. I don't have as much motivation to lose weight because I don't need to lose weight nearly as much. Losing 50 pounds sounds like a piece of freakin' cake considering I was faced with losing 125 pounds not so long ago.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Any tips on getting ready at the gym? I'm so accostomed to being able to get ready at home. I feel like I'm going to need a huge gym bag for all my crap!

I ended up getting seconds of everything to put in a gym bag because I was forgetting something every time when I tried to re-pack every night... so I just leave everything in that bag - travel size shampoo, conditioner, scrubby, body soap, razor, 2nd makeup bag (with mostly old makeup that I want to use up), etc. I pack that bag the night before with my clothes, shoes, towel and curling iron. I find that to be another motivator because if the bag is packed then I will more likely get up and go. The bad thing is that they call me the 'bag lady' because I always have my purse (which is a big bag), large gym bag, and bag with my gym shoes and HRM and water bottle. Hmmm, maybe that isn't helping my bulging disc problem! :ohwell:
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    And can someone please explain to me why most photographers Ive priced are giving me $4000+ quotes?! Are you kidding me?! I mean I know I am paying for their time as well as the pics but most of the dont even give you the pics they give you the prints then you gotta pay to print it yourself so WTF is costing $4000? I do not get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummm. I'll do it for $2000. :tongue: I've been a part time professional photographer for 1.5 years and I haven't made $4,000 COMBINED on all the photography jobs I've had (and I work like every weekend in the fall & spring). :noway: Then again, that's what happens when you're a contract photographer. The company books the job & edits the photos & orders the prints. I just show up to take the pictures. :wink: That's the only part of it I like to do anyway so I guess it's worth it that the company gets most of the $$.

"Photography" is an "art" and that's pretty much the big reason for the high price tag. I use quotes because *most* of the wedding photographers I've met are in no way artists (except maybe con artists...). Of course equipment is really expensive and you're also paying for the time it takes to edit the pictures which could be several hours.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Any tips on getting ready at the gym? I'm so accostomed to being able to get ready at home. I feel like I'm going to need a huge gym bag for all my crap!

I ended up getting seconds of everything to put in a gym bag because I was forgetting something every time when I tried to re-pack every night... so I just leave everything in that bag - travel size shampoo, conditioner, scrubby, body soap, razor, 2nd makeup bag (with mostly old makeup that I want to use up), etc. I pack that bag the night before with my clothes, shoes, towel and curling iron. I find that to be another motivator because if the bag is packed then I will more likely get up and go. The bad thing is that they call me the 'bag lady' because I always have my purse (which is a big bag), large gym bag, and bag with my gym shoes and HRM and water bottle. Hmmm, maybe that isn't helping my bulging disc problem! :ohwell:

This helps a lot! Good suggestions! Thanks a bunch! I'm going to have to buy a big gym bag. Trying to plan this all ahead of time. The move process itself is going to be nightmare.

Cris-4000!? Are you kidding!? Holy smokes! Maybe you can book Julie to come take pictures and just pay for her plane ticket and time and still come off chaeper!? HAHA!
  • lstpaul
    Options
    I 4th the reasons for not losing much weight.

I've only lost 20 pounds since I hit my first mega plateau FIVE months ago.

While I'm very happy to have lost any weight at all since then since I'm pretty sure 80-90% of people would have seriously just given up right then & gained all the weight back, I really really really expected it to be a *lot* more. Today is my 10 monthiversary and when I first started I way over-enthusiastically thought I would have lost 100 pounds by now. 75 is awesome but geez, I still want to lose 40-50 more. I feel like I'm tiptoeing around my metabolism because I'm terrified of having it slow way down again. I'm stoked that I'm still losing weight however slowly with the very comfortable lifestyle I'm managing right now. But honestly I would really like to lose at least a pound a week for the next 5 or 6 months. More would be nice but pretty unrealistic in terms of execution.

My best friend will be staying with me at some point over the next few days (visiting from VA) but I'm going to gather my thoughts and plan my approach and my focus and go at this full force as soon as she leaves. In the meantime I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing (which does work, just slowly).

I think a lot of my problem, too, is that I'm pretty darn happy with myself for losing 75+ pounds. I'm the smallest I've ever been so of course I'm a lot happier with the way I look and the way clothes fit and how much energy I have, and the list goes on. I don't have as much motivation to lose weight because I don't need to lose weight nearly as much. Losing 50 pounds sounds like a piece of freakin' cake considering I was faced with losing 125 pounds not so long ago.

You've done GREAT! You will do it ... there is a book about your body needing to adjust to your lower weight. It makes some sense to me based on my previous weight loss plateaus. 'Break Through Your Set Point: How to Finally Lose the Weight You Want and Keep It Off, by George Blackburn, MD, suggests that maintaining a 10% loss for six months to a year helps your body adjust to the lower weight and thus reset the set point.'
  • RedneckWmn
    Options

Ummm. I'll do it for $2000. :tongue: I've been a part time professional photographer for 1.5 years and I haven't made $4,000 COMBINED on all the photography jobs I've had (and I work like every weekend in the fall & spring). :noway: Then again, that's what happens when you're a contract photographer. The company books the job & edits the photos & orders the prints. I just show up to take the pictures. :wink: That's the only part of it I like to do anyway so I guess it's worth it that the company gets most of the $$.

"Photography" is an "art" and that's pretty much the big reason for the high price tag. I use quotes because *most* of the wedding photographers I've met are in no way artists (except maybe con artists...). Of course equipment is really expensive and you're also paying for the time it takes to edit the pictures which could be several hours.

:laugh: :laugh: You read my mind!! And by the way, I'm with you on the losing slowly. I'm very happy to lose slowly or at least maintain at this point because I know I'm not giving it a solid effort. And I feel pretty proud of myself that I've lost 50 pounds. I'm in the same boat, this is the smallest I have been my entire adult life and I like the way I look. Such a journey this is!!

Cris-The heat is brutal here too. I felt awesome after my workout and stepped outside and was just blown away by the humidity. YUCK! Makes me feel so nasty! Congrats on cutting down smoking though. I have no tips on how to bare the heat. I've lived in Texas almost my whole life and it still kills me!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    So I'm sitting here realizing that if I went "professional" with my photography, I could pull in $48,000/year by working like 10-12 hours 1 weekend each month. Yeah... That's an embarassing amount more than I make at all 3 of my jobs (HR, pizza delivery, photography) combined working 50-60 hours/week.

I ain't livin' right. :laugh:

Edit: Then again, I'm sure the cost of living in Columbia, SC is much lower than Baltimore... but I could seriously pull in $2000 per wedding job even here. I wouldn't mind working 2 weekends a month. :tongue:
  • lstpaul
    Options
    So I'm sitting here realizing that if I went "professional" with my photography, I could pull in $48,000/year by working like 10-12 hours 1 weekend each month. Yeah... That's an embarassing amount more than I make at all 3 of my jobs (HR, pizza delivery, photography) combined working 50-60 hours/week.

Edit: Then again, I'm sure the cost of living in Columbia, SC is much lower than Baltimore... but I could seriously pull in $2000 per wedding job even here. I wouldn't mind working 2 weekends a month. :tongue:
    Weren't you recently talking about wanting to change jobs ... maybe starting a 'professional' photography business is something you want to seriously consider?
  • RedneckWmn
    Options

When you put it like that, what are you waiting for?! :laugh:
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: Okay I'm a moron. I went back and read Cris joke from earlier, I get it now. :laugh: Blonde moment today!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Cris, Jess, Julie and Pos: I'm with you on the reasons I haven't lost any more weight. I guess I've been content with the 30 lbs. lost so far and haven't felt like I needed to work that hard.

When put into consideration along with lstpaul's comment regarding the book about the set point, this all make sense to me. I've maintained a 14% loss for three months now. Maybe my body needs more time to adjust to being different. I might have to check out that book because in a way it makes sense to me. Weird.

Speaking of photography....a friend of mine is a freelance photographer who is working on building her business. Lately she's been getting into artistic photos and was looking for models to do a shoot. Guess who volunteered? Me! She's going to dress us up like 40s pin-up models. I offered to be the voluptuous model of the group, so it should be interesting. I think it will be fun but I'm astounded at my bravery. I told her to be honest if she doesn't think she can get any good shots because of my big belly. We'll be doing shots in high waisted pedal pushers, high waisted boy shorts/lingerie and sky-high stilettos. I'm not telling the boyfriend I'm doing it. I'll just surprise him with photos if any turn out; until then I'm going to tell him I'm going shopping and to dinner with the girls. Who would have thought I'd potentially be a model at 191 lbs.? First a tankini now this...I must be losing my mind!
  • tlrue
    tlrue Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Cris, Jess, Julie and Pos: I'm with you on the reasons I haven't lost any more weight. I guess I've been content with the 30 lbs. lost so far and haven't felt like I needed to work that hard.

When put into consideration along with lstpaul's comment regarding the book about the set point, this all make sense to me. I've maintained a 14% loss for three months now. Maybe my body needs more time to adjust to being different. I might have to check out that book because in a way it makes sense to me. Weird.

Speaking of photography....a friend of mine is a freelance photographer who is working on building her business. Lately she's been getting into artistic photos and was looking for models to do a shoot. Guess who volunteered? Me! She's going to dress us up like 40s pin-up models. I offered to be the voluptuous model of the group, so it should be interesting. I think it will be fun but I'm astounded at my bravery. I told her to be honest if she doesn't think she can get any good shots because of my big belly. We'll be doing shots in high waisted pedal pushers, high waisted boy shorts/lingerie and sky-high stilettos. I'm not telling the boyfriend I'm doing it. I'll just surprise him with photos if any turn out; until then I'm going to tell him I'm going shopping and to dinner with the girls. Who would have thought I'd potentially be a model at 191 lbs.? First a tankini now this...I must be losing my mind!

GOOD FOR YOU, HEATHER! :) I'm proud of you (and jealous!) I've been thinking of 'presents' to give myself after meeting each goal (instead of things like cake and Chipotle)... and I've been thinking of giving the boyfriend a pinup picture of me for maybe Christmas? But I'm not sure if I have the um... parts to do it (let alone know someone I trust enough to take the picture).

Proud moment of the day: I have eaten something for each meal. Hasn't been much... but it's better than nothing, right?
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Heather, that's awesome! I actually would love to do a pin-up type photo for my hubby... I don't normally like to edit my photos but I'd be airbrushing the crap out of something like that. :tongue: Also, several pairs of nude panty hose (each pair in a different shade) do wonders for smoothing cellulite & covering spider veins. I know this.... because... I... lived.... with a drag queen (or 3) for a year. :laugh:
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Heather, that's awesome! I actually would love to do a pin-up type photo for my hubby... I don't normally like to edit my photos but I'd be airbrushing the crap out of something like that. :tongue: Also, several pairs of nude panty hose (each pair in a different shade) do wonders for smoothing cellulite & covering spider veins. I know this.... because... I... lived.... with a drag queen (or 3) for a year. :laugh:

Living with a drag queen had to be a blast! My friends and I always talk about going to the Drag Shows at Gay 90s but haven't done it yet. You do get to meet some of these fantastic Queens when you're in love with MAC makeup, because it's the brand all of them around here use; it's great stage makeup.

I'll definitely add panty hose to my list of things to bring to the shoot!
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Wow kudos to you Heather for doing that for your friend! I'm sure you will look great. Great motivation too huh!? When is the shoot?
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Jess: The shoot is next weekend. We're going shopping for outfits on Friday and then shooting the pics on Saturday.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Living with a drag queen had to be a blast! My friends and I always talk about going to the Drag Shows at Gay 90s but haven't done it yet. You do get to meet some of these fantastic Queens when you're in love with MAC makeup, because it's the brand all of them around here use; it's great stage makeup.

At the risk of generalizing, I think the love of MAC is pretty universal among drag queens. :laugh:
  • HeatherMN
    Options
    Strippers also love MAC, at least here in the Twin Cities.

I just learned that MFP doesn't let its users send more than 5 friend requests in a period of 10 minutes. I was trying to add any of you ladies who are not officially on my friend's list. If it missed any of you, don't be disappointed...I will try again!
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Jess: The shoot is next weekend. We're going shopping for outfits on Friday and then shooting the pics on Saturday.

Oh wow! Okay scratch the motivation part. It will be motivation to keep you on track for at least a week! :tongue: