WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• tammyclf
    tammyclf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yinka - I know it wasn't addressed at me, but thank you for the yoga recommendation! I just did my first cardio workout off youtube last night - wow - I've been missing out on a gold mine! I was going to look for a good yoga one! is this one fairly basic? I currently have some limitations but pretty good at figuring out modifications. glad your pup is ok!
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Karen Praying for Olivia and that you and your partner will have a safe trip.
    My first thought about Katie's (the Mom's) reaction/comments is - she just wants to be clear - not to expect to stay with them and shuttle you to the hospital. They're probably too frazzled to think about someone else's arrangements. It doesn't sound like you planned to do that anyway. HUGS❤
    --Ginger in Texas
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    NYKaren... sadly, I'm the closest to my parents at 4 hours ...my brother (there were only the two of us) is 9 hours away! We tried for years to convince my parents to move closer to one of us. They wouldn't have any parts of it. And now they refuse to leave their multi-staired home. So I wait and watch to see which of them is going to topple backwards on the stairs first. I'm on edge the whole time I visit.

Brought my mother home. Truly this hysterectomy was easy-peasy for her. Of course, I pretty much warned every hospital staff member who came near her to remember that her osteoporosis made her more fragile than glass ... they treated her with extreme caution. She asked if she could go out to lunch after discharge and the surgeon said if she felt like it. I nixed that idea and brought her home. Just got both my mom and dad down for their naps! LOL! My mother won't take much pampering, she's already told me I'm a pain in the *kitten*! Ah yes ... she is feeling much better!

Heading home tomorrow after I do some laundry and other errands.

Beth near Buffalo
  • capacifico
    capacifico Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow this is a great message board. Thanks Barbie!
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    carol11158 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm just coming off of a ketogenic diet (LCHF less than 20 g of carbs a day) i was on for 3 years without much success. Although I am limiting my carbs to 50 rather than 20, which is much less limiting for me, I'm pretty much making sure I don't go over my calories too. How many of you pay attention to carbs? What's better - to watch the carbs or just eat in moderation (eating good foods) until you've used up your calories for the day?

Carol - I think what matters most is consistency. I think eating real food to your calorie goal daily will work just fine.
    I'm limiting myself to 50 carbs a day. I'm working to cut out as much sugar and processed, packaged foods. Those seem to be where lots of carbs hang out. I have more than 100 lbs to lose. In the past - when I followed a lower carb diet - I dropped 60 lbs and felt better. Cravings for sugary foods faded.
    --Ginger in Texas
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    :)

Karen: So glad to hear that you are traveling out to meet Olivia.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lisa in West TX, know you are NOT a huggy kinda gal, but sending you the biggest cyber (((hug))) EVER. <3

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Beth - You have so many responsibilities on your shoulders. <3 I don't know how you do it. Have a safe journey home and try to get some rest. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am glad to read that Guillian Bairre (sp?) is now very treatable. Back in my early nursing days when I was in ICU training we had a patient and it was very critical. It was also a new diagnosis. So I am so glad this little 6 year old will have a wonderful prognosis.

Many years ago, and I mean many, my cousin's husband had at home dialysis. It was a long process and I am also glad that has improved dramatically through the years.

We had another guy come out and do an estimate for painting. This company also does guttering. So if his estimate is better, we may go with this company or it may let us know that the other painters estimate of $4750 is normal. The only other time we have had our exterior trim done along with doors and painting present gutters was closer to $2000 but he did not prime or power wash and used exterior paint from Walmart. I am wanting a GOOD job this time. I would imagine this other painting was done 5 years ago and it looks like crap now. The man today was suggesting not using a gutter guard and hiring some one twice a year to clean the gutters for us. HMMMM Any thoughts on that?

Praying for both these tiny babys. Caraol, how are you doing?

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr incline intervals on the treadmill (3 min @3%, 6%, 9%, 12%, 3% etc). The plan for tomorrow is to do Kelly Coffee Meyers Ready Step Go DVD.

Paula and Ginger - I love the deep water for the same reasons -- very little impact but, boy, can you get a good workout! Ginger - keep it up. I am uncomfortable in the deep end so I wear a floation belt.

Paula - you and Becca are two of a kind. You both are huggers

Exercised, then went to Big Lots to get rye bread, we'll take some to FL with us. Then had my injection of Prolia. I've been going for a few years now and every time they do it, they miscode it so insurance denies the claim saying that "experimental chemotherapy" isn't covered, only I didn't go for chemo. So we have to call insurance, they do finally pay but it's a pain for us. Well, I really ripped into the gal but I have my doubts as to what good it did except made me feel better. I kept getting "I don't do the coding". So I took the number of the business office that does it. Should they screw up this time, Vince is going to call. He'll let them have it.

Tonight we are going to the theater in Hickory to see "Hamlet". Personally, I wasn't that interested in it, but Vince wanted to go so I'll go with him.

Karen in VA - prayers for Olivia. So glad you're going out to see her.

I don't know if I like this new keyboard. The colors constantly changing distracts me

I tried mentioning to Vince that can we leave for FL on the 16th rather than the 20th. The reason he wanted to leave later is because he was concerned about it getting really cold. Well, weather.com predicts it'll be in the 50's the 16, 17, 18, and 19

Vince and I have been married 38 years, and I admit that there are times when I lose my temper and get a bit short with him. Well, he does it to me, too. I get upset because he can be so OCD about things and I feel "what's the big deal". Also, many times he wants to talk to me and I have things that I need to get done.

Lenora - glad you like the pelicans. I'm working on a bee right now and I will probably do a butterfly after that. I've never heard of a treadmill with movable arms. Sounds interesting. Wish our Y would get one. Only the elliptical has movable arms

Ginger - you rock, girl!

Tammy - are the popsugar videos free? They must be since they are on Utube. Happy birthday to your son

Marni - good thoughts being sent for the twins

pitegny - can you have your license laminated?

fancy - have fun with your son

rdevol - welcome. Just come in and post what you wish to. Some people (like me) post their workouts, others their goals while others post their accountability. Whatever works for someone is fine. We like to hear from everyone.

I need to renew my CPR certification. The hospital will only have a class if there are 3-5 people. So I sent our a request to Newcomers to see how many were interested. I never in my life expected the response I got. So far 15 people are interested. I need to do some work still, but we have the days, March 31 or April 13. This is to try to accommodate as many people as possible. I'm thinking that Jason's Deli near us makes a box lunch, I just don't know how much it is. I remember getting it when I took some sort of Police course. But the box lunch was included in the price of the class. This wouldn't, I'd probably pay for it myself and ask people to pay me back. The people who have expressed an interest, I don't think will balk at the price.

Michele in NC
  • Tailwaggers
    Tailwaggers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I see all the snow in the N.E and I am so jealous. I miss it. There is no "weather" in Florida-same old every day....Anyway, what a long week this was. Didn't feel like exercising today but really had to push myself. Music really helps me get through it. I feel better now...I take a spinning class Saturday mornings and I come out drenched. :#
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    @tammyclf - don't worry about whether a message is addressed to you or not, just jump right in
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Beth ~ I understand how worried you must be about your parents. Hugs for you and them.

Karen ~ So sorry to hear about Olivia and her mom. Prayers for them.

Went with long time friends to look at furniture at a place called The Dump. Their prices on sofas were not that great and I am interested in finding a fabric sofa instead of leather. We already have 3 leather recliners and a leather sofa would be just too much. Then we went to a huge shopping center (Lenox Square) and ate at the food court. I had a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich and must say it was delicious but I am sure very high in calories. Anyway, it was great for me to get away from the computer and tv and see my friends.

Carol in GA
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I hate it when part of my message gets cut off!

I also went on to recommend Yoga with Adriene on You Tube - she encourages all levels.

Yinka - Worcestershire, UK
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Pip, hope you are healing well
    Pam, way to multi-task
    Joyce, I love the hug story, good luck to your daughter.
    Tammie, nothing is backwards if it works for you, good job.
    Margaret, ice cream is my downfall and I haven't had any recently too but that is because it isn't good with a cold :| .

I am making progress losing the recent weight I gained after breaking my leg, son's wedding, Christmas etc. Until I got this cold I was upping my exercise stairs and steps. However I have been too sick to go to Aquafit since Tuesday. I am afraid that some of this weight loss is from being sick and will have to fight it from coming back when I am well. Just today feel better after sleeping in.

My Mom is turning 90 and we are having 2 parties for her. One at her retirement community this weekend and a family party the next. My son and his new wife are coming into town for that. Speaking of getting some hugs in.

Happy weekend everyone.

Keri from Seattle
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Re in TX, You girl have a lot on your plate! Its hard to wear all the hats, but we do the best we can. Remember when you have your caregiver hat, then you balance the gym girl hat, and THEN the chef's hat? Well, I will be the first to admit that I have taken my caregivers hat and swatted my husband with it! Every so often take them all off, and be mental hat naked! Maybe if you hat a "real hat" and when you put that on its a signal for husband to choose his words carefully, and give you space. That is really the only way to stay clear-headed these days.
    OK, this compound thing could work! Lets just buy an island k? The only men allowed would be the French cuisine chef, the masseuse' guy named Swen, and the pool guy that brings us drinks with either drunken veggies, or fruity drinks with umbrellas. Oh wait and the guy that spiffy's up the bungalow and makes swans from the clean towels!

Sue in WA, I swear I was born with gills and a need for the aquatic life. I have taught all my 3 sons to swim by playing the part of either momma whale or submarine master chief. Nothing cuter than telling a 3 yr old that is holding onto your back to "batten down the hatches", and see him use his fingers to hold his nose, hold his breath, and plug his ears. We'd go underwater and when they ran outta air, they'd just let go and come to the surface!
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Karen Katie is probably in such shock that she doesn't know what she is saying. It's good you two are going. My prayers are with all of you <3
    Yinka Thank you

Feel great today, had one of the big meetings regarding my role at the Hospital and it went well. I am about to transition from my job that I have done for 20 years to something very different. It is very exciting but scary too.

Having Greek salad with marinaded crispy tofu for dinner.

Take care everyone!

<3 Sarah, Ontario, Canad
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Beth near Cleveland Bless your sweet Mom! She sounds like quite a character, as well as your dear Father. I hope her recovery goes smoothly. Healing thoughts for your husband. ((hugs))

Barbiecat The coats for both Bess and Sasha are so cute!

DJ Where are you traveling to on your cruise?

Rori Colorado in February is 75'?? Is that normal? My nudist self is quite jealous! I want heat!! The orb in the sky here is broken.....

Lanette in WA I watched the final episode and reunion special of "Alone". I am glad Fowler won! He was so ingenious to make that 'clicky' boat thingy to go out farther in the water to catch the birds (but caught fish instead). That dock was smart too. And his bamboo walled hut higher up was really beautiful. The hippie gal was fun in that her outlook was to make a home there. So things that most would've thought as pointless, (ie; wind chimes, a sweat lodge, a guitar) were nice to see her make. Your environment should give you joy to keep you motivated. When she got those spider bites though, UCK!

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Becca, you crack me up!

Beth, safe travels back, it is great that your mom handled the surgery so well.

Karen, the trip out is important you both, just to be there and see olivia is vital. I think Beth's experience is insightful, your DD is probably so overwhelmed she doesn't know what she is saying. Good luck, sending strength <3

So the countdown to my trip to Morocco begins, exactly one week before I step on a plane and go! I am scared. I am lucky to be going but that doesn't mean I'm not scared. I know I'm gonna have a grand experience and adventure but.... I am, yeah, scared, said that already.

NYKAREN