The things you remember doing when you were young?

Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    - Going for a swim everyday with my best friend, diving down as far as we could go in the dipping area, throwing those rings down and fetching them back.
    - Using kool-aid to die our hair
    - Running over to my bff's house when she called to tell my our favourite songs were on MTV (we lived next to each other and I didn't have MTV)
    - Sneaking out my bedroom window at night time and falling down in the rose bushes
    - Trying to do a 360 degree swing on the swing set in the yard but failing
    - Stealing berries and rhubarb from the neighbours gardens at night
    - Using a laundry clip to attach a card to our bikes to make it sound like a motorcycle
    - Hanging upside down in one of these:
    SPE-501-117%20Hercules%20Climber%20II_Playground%20Equipment.jpg&width=200&height=161

Oh yes the monkey bars
    and making anything into bars to climb up and flip on. How the heck did we have so much upper body strength then so easily????

I used to catch frogs and grasshoppers and moths
    we'd wander the fields behind my parent's house for hours, in the winter we'd cross country ski to the "big hill" and pretend we were downhill skiers. Although that hill probably wasn't much of a hill. We'd "hike" to the weird sculpture that was randomly built in a farmers' field which we thought were house foundations that we discovered
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I remember playing Pong, I remember when restriction from the telephone as a teenager was gut wrenching, I remember skating every Saturday night, being able to do back bends, having the only computer in the neighborhood, and being able to eat anything without gaining an ounce. I wish I had the body I had when I THOUGHT I was fat!
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Momtafo wrote: »
    I remember we had a Nintendo! I was the baby sister so I was ALWAYS luigi.... :/

Awe why couldn't you be the princess. Can't. Remember her name lol
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    - Going for a swim everyday with my best friend, diving down as far as we could go in the dipping area, throwing those rings down and fetching them back.
    - Using kool-aid to die our hair
    - Running over to my bff's house when she called to tell my our favourite songs were on MTV (we lived next to each other and I didn't have MTV)
    - Sneaking out my bedroom window at night time and falling down in the rose bushes
    - Trying to do a 360 degree swing on the swing set in the yard but failing
    - Stealing berries and rhubarb from the neighbours gardens at night
    - Using a laundry clip to attach a card to our bikes to make it sound like a motorcycle
    - Hanging upside down in one of these:
    SPE-501-117%20Hercules%20Climber%20II_Playground%20Equipment.jpg&width=200&height=161

Just for a moment I thought you sent a pic when you were a child playing on the bars hahaha lol
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Playing on my Sega mega drive :smile: I. Remember when the game didn't work, you had to blow into the game cartridge to get the dust out :
  • kaizaku
    Options
    I use to have a small table top snooker/pool table. After watching Jackie chan movies and power rangers. I Wanted to be a bad *kitten* too. So I put the snooker table on the side of the door facing up. I did a side kick right through the board. Bamm :smiley: made me feel unstoppable. Those were the days :smile:
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Held a firework in my hand, it burned my skin on my middle and index finger.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Urinating inside the swimming pool. Ah those were the days :lol:
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Going school, once I get my name registered I use to skip class with the other delinquents. I only got caught once in the park by the deputy head teacher. Nothing happened to me. I use to come home, get changed and act like it's holiday :lol:
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    When I think about being a kid the first thing I think about is all the time I spent alone. I had friends, but spent a lot of time by myself, at all the different places we moved to.

For a few years we lived in a very rural area, on a point where the "house" we lived in was the only winterized cottage. There were very few other kids around, literally it took 1/2 hour to walk to my friends house. If we wanted to walk to the store after school it was about a 2 hour walk. No cable. I read a lot. My mom and stepfather worked nights, so my brother and I were alone a lot.

Despite the solitude (which sucks when you are 9-14 ish) it was a pretty place, there was a bird sanctuary at the end of the point. In the summer we could swim and boat every day and in the winter we could walk across the lake and skate.
  • FaeryLove18
    FaeryLove18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I loved playing TV Tag. It was just like regular tag game but you had to yell TV shows. Lol, it was fun as all bananas. ALSO, loved playing skip it, even though it hurt my ankles. :p
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    I remember before we had mobile phones since it was expensive, pager was the stuff. Thinking about it, the mobile phone use to have a 3'' green screen. In 25+years look how things changed. I guess seeing the change makes you cherish the old stuff since that is where it all began.

I remember the old large phones got very tiny, and now they're large again as Smart Phones.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    kaizaku wrote: »
    I remember before we had mobile phones since it was expensive, pager was the stuff. Thinking about it, the mobile phone use to have a 3'' green screen. In 25+years look how things changed. I guess seeing the change makes you cherish the old stuff since that is where it all began.

I remember the old large phones got very tiny, and now they're large again as Smart Phones.

I remember. The big phones, even the sim card was big almost like a credit card size :lol:
  • kaizaku
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I bought myself a pair of roller blades. I saw on TV how cool it was to cruise around, hold onto cars. I bought it, I thought it would be easy. I fell back on my tail bone. The pain was so severe, I couldn't sit. That was the end of roller blading :lol: I still got the roller blades for memory.
  • kaizaku
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I remember when I was around 7 when I use to crawl on the floor playing with my toy cars. My knees use to scrape till the colour went, and get a tore. I remember it was embarrassing to go out like that, people will see you as a tramp. But now in this time of age that is the fashion. Damn, if only I knew I would have kept them :lol:
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Riding a bicycle with no brakes. Dragging shoes on the ground to stop, but it didn't work every time!!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Talking into a fan to hear your robot voice.
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    When playing a video game with friends meant you were all in the same room on the same tv calling each other cheats.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Sticking a paper cup inside the rear brakes whilst riding my bike to make the motor bike noise.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Turning our piggybanks upside down. Getting the money out. Walking to 7-Eleven. Buying these square cinnamon suckers. These 2ft long sticks of bubblegum. Grape, cherry, lime, or watermelon. And cola slurpees. Then the bubble blowing contests. I could chew up a whole 2ft stick of that gum, and blow what I called "My Hindenburg Bubbles." :)