The things you remember doing when you were young?

Options

Replies

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I use to go to the arcades. I. Wasn't allowed but use to go. Nowadays kids don't know what arcades is. Metal slug, street fighter was couple of many games I use to play. Those sure were the time.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Watching my older brother play video games and then attempting to play it myself, and failing miserably. We also went to this place called a 'fairy trail' that's here because I used to be obsessed with fairies and there was a wooden statue at the end of it that you touched for good luck.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Grew up in the 50's and 60's. We were always outside playing. The rule was you had to come in when the street lights came on. Normally didn't come in except for lunch. We made forts out of cardboard boxes. Climbed trees. Rode our stingray bicycles. Rarely watched TV unless we were sick. No such thing as texting, instagramming, FB or selfies. Played baseball with friends. Read comic books. Things were very simple back then.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    I remember watching a game show on TV called the crystal maze.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Outside from dusk to dawn. Usually skateboarding or trampoline when I was a youngin. Little more lazy nowadays but I still ride. B)
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    Basically hanging out with friends and playing on my PS1 and not with a care if the world....ahhh good times.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    watching Saturday morning cartoons..until it was late enough to go knock on my friends door to play
  • sae12
    sae12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I remember I couldn't wait to go outdoors and play. My favorite shows The Munsters and Happy Days
  • kaizaku
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I saved money to buy a water super soaker gun. You pump the gauge and water shoots with force. I was so amazed since before then I only only had a baby Eater pistol that use to squint water.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    I saved money to buy a water super soaker gun. You pump the gauge and water shoots with force. I was so amazed since before then I only only had a baby Eater pistol that use to squint water.

I had, 1 like; this:

8c21773c-bc36-499c-b1ef-a88302ba86a2_1.2cb51a2a2365421d124b5ca1707a646a.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Chic-o-stick candy. Miniature Golf. :)
  • kaizaku
    Options

I had, 1 like; this:

8c21773c-bc36-499c-b1ef-a88302ba86a2_1.2cb51a2a2365421d124b5ca1707a646a.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Oh snap, I remember this one. My friend had one. I use to call it ghost busters :lol:
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

I had, 1 like; this:

Oh snap, I remember this one. My friend had one. I use to call it ghost busters :lol:

Mine was, useless because since I was the only child that, had 1 no 1'd dare get into; a water gun fight with me lol! :D
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i remember watching the mickey mouse club that had justin, christina, britney, kerri before they became big names.. and then there was a group called The party the was formed.. oh how i miss those days
  • kaizaku
    Options

I had, 1 like; this:

Mine was, useless because since I was the only child that, had 1 no 1'd dare get into; a water gun fight with me lol! :D

I bet :lol:
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I had an idyllic childhood, and I am grateful. I grew up on the South Fork of Long Island, NY in the 1960s, when it was still really rural, mostly potato farms, with a small summer community and only a few celebrity homes, most of which were fairly unassuming. The old money was in Southampton and East Hampton, out by the beach. We were middle class working people. My Dad was a printer.

Bridgehampton was a sleepy hamlet with maybe two dozen businesses on Main Street, surrounded by potato farms. We lived about a mile south of town, along one of the many estuaries that cut into the ocean shore. I had a 16' Old Town sailing canoe that was where I spent about half my free time. I could put in from our lawn and be on the ocean beach in about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the wind. If I went the other direction, I could get the canoe up the stream into the swamp almost a mile. The 'swamp' was a 250 acre nature preserve directly across the street from us.

Most summers, I took my shoes of when I got home on the last day of school in June, and didn't put them back on until after Labor Day. Sandals and flip-flops if I had to go out to eat or into a store or something.

When I wasn't in the canoe, I was either biking to the beach to go bodysurfing and chase girls (from 13 on...!), or wandering through the swamps, fields and woods.

These days, the influx of new money and celebrity stupidity has ruined the area as far as I'm concerned. All of the potato fields have been developed, zoned anywhere from 1 to 5 acres, and most of the properties are surrounded with 10' privet hedges, which ruins the open spaces and views. The family-owned businesses on Main Street have all been replaced by trendy hipster boutiques and over-priced pretentious restaurants. I used to know at least a dozen places where I could drive down to the water, or up to the edge of a field, and look out and see no sign of humans anywhere; those places are all gone now.

I still go out there occasionally just to get out of the city, but it's difficult for me. It makes me sad to see what's been done in the name of "progress".

Anyway, I have a lot of really great memories, including the pals I hung out with, and the girls I dated, the jobs I had, the peace and quiet, the wild places, the BEACH(!!) and I'm thankful that my parents were able to give me that kind of childhood.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Watching MUSIC VIDEOS on MTV.

Sleeping on the floorboards in the backseat on long car trips (because my big sister was taking up the seat).
  • kellyannvarney1
    kellyannvarney1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think we spent every spare moment at the ice rink pulling each other round to bad music that we thought was great. Either that or wheelie bin racing !!!! Good times