March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Question for the experts here...

Lately I've noticed that my left hip area becomes a little sore after I run and it takes a while for it to go away, sometimes days. When I stretch though, I do a yoga pose called pigeon which really focuses on the hips, and it doesn't hurt, so I'm at a loss as to what the cause could be. I will be checking with my chiro this week and doctor soon, but I figured I'd pick the brains of the group.

I appreciate any feedback. :smile:

Front, Back or side of the hips? Pigeon gets the piriformis, which can be really grumpy. Might try adding an Ober stretch if it's the outside. I'd think medial glute, IT band or perhaps trochanter bursitis.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    3/1 – 7.32 easy with hills
    3/2 – 13.10 long intervals
    3/3 – rest day
    3/4 – 16.09 paced run
    3/5 – 12.67 easy with hills
    3/6 – rest day
    3/7 – 10.20 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/8 – 7.02 easy

March total to date – 66.40

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train well toward Boston. Run well at the USATF Masters 8K Championship in Virginia Beach.

Today's notes – We had lovely temperatures in the 50s and maybe up to 60 today, with sunshine . . . and a high wind warning. This afternoon freaked me out a bit with losing shingles, tree branches blowing around, several brief power hits making the microwave and stove forget what time it is and stopping the dryer. Then I saw on FB that the local FleetFeet canceled the WalkFit and NoBo training today (that's couch to walking, and nonrunner to 5K training programs) due to high winds and down power lines. The advice was to stay safe and run indoors.

So I wimped out. I still have some time left on my facilities membership at the local college, so I went and ran on the indoor track. On the way over, I saw people running outside; perhaps it wasn't as bad on the local roads as it sounded from inside my house. Oh, well. Garmin estimated 7.02 miles (kept running to get Garmin over 7) from 7 * 8 + 2 laps of the 200m track, or 11,600 meters. Garmin was a bit short of actual distance, but some runs have come out a bit long. Close enough.

In the controlled environment, I was able to keep my HR in Zone 1 most of the time (35 seconds in Zone 2). I found that it worked better to slow myself down by telling myself to rest rather than telling myself to back off or slow down. Then I noticed when I went to shower that I felt pretty good. Duh! Most of the time at those showers, I've just finished a hard speed workout, not a short easy run. I'd forgotten how good the short runs feel. Maybe I should go back to running 6 days a week so some of the days can be shorter? I don't know, I'll probably just muddle through the rest of this training cycle.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Virginia Beach, VA)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Thanks for the info, I'll try that. Hope your son gets LOTS of mail!!!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

The weather is turning miserable and cold again overnight. I'm depressed about it because the weekend and all next week - when I'm on break - is supposed to be cold. I'm not up for it any more.

That's why I moved from Wisconsin to Texas after college. ;) Yes, summer here is brutal, and fall is Summer Part 2, but I can't stand the cold and grey of winter and spring was winter part 2.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp : I wussed out too when I saw (and heard) the wind report and road closures (Buffalo).. strength training it was. I had to shorten yesterday's gym session to make it to a tango performance on time anyway and my knee has been twinging a bit, so an extra gym day in lieu of running wasn't a bad thing.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was rest day. Today I took Stella with me after work for a run. It went okay, but she seems to have lost interest in it these days so I may have to give up on running with her. It's hard to drag even a small dog along behind you ;)
    @katharmonic - I would have Stella checked out and make sure nothing is hurting her - feet, legs, etc... It is unusual for a dog not to want to go with you especially since she was enjoying it previously.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 How long will your son be there? The mail takes ages from here.
    @chichidachimp - Just based on my personal experiences at those same paces (HM and Full), I found I was able to increase my pace best by doing speedwork and limiting myself to HM's as my longest race. The idea is to first get faster HM times, then work on translating those paces out to a longer distances training for a full. The miles needed to build up for my first full were very taxing and I simply wasn't able to reasonably do a lot of strength building speedowrk on top of it while base building to the marathon weekly distances for training. There's always other ways to do things, so your way may not be the same as my way. But in my opinion, you are going to already be "building up" to do a full marathon distance. So the speedwork and increased pace are not the focus, the focus is the added distance. It's when you try to increase too many factors, like distance + speed that injuries happen.

If the race allows for 6 hours, and you can train for running that kind of mileage and time on the feet, then you can still do the full at that pace. I did three of them at a 6hr pace in a single season, so it's not like it's that God-awful terrible. Ultra runners run for 6+ hours. You just have to be conditioned for long, taxing runs. I adapted my training from the standard marathon training to ultra training since my time was more suited to an ultra runner than a marathon runner (something no marathon training plan I have seen takes into consideration because they assume you are a sub 5 hour runner). Granted, the distance ran was a marathon, but the toll taken on the body was more of an ultra run due to the time spent running. For me, that meant mid-week long runs and some back-to-back long runs (to do a long run on depleted legs). Speedwork is nigh impossible to fit in with mid-week long runs and back-to-back long runs. Everything is either a long run or a recovery run.

@WhatMeRunning Great post. Backs up what @MobyCarp and @lporter229 were saying.

@JessicaMcB Yay, glad you got your treadmill fixed! It would be craptastic to be stuck on a desert island of no running.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    In happier news though, I have an awesome new problem. I'm still trying to lose some weight, but last week I lost ~3.5 lbs, and another 2.2 the previous week. That's too fast! So I need to eat even more! Woohoo! Guess I've been being a little too conservative with my estimates, and staying under my net goal a little too much.

I've been trying to make my weight trend sideways for 5 years now, and marathon training makes it hard to see the trend. I can be down a full pound two days in a row, then up 3 or 4 pounds after a rest day. That comes back off with 2 days of running. The fluctuations have to be water and other residuals in my gastro-intestinal system; but the fluctuations can obscure the truth.

Lately I've come to think that I'm mostly seeing water bound to glycogen going away with hard training, and coming back with rest. I think I began to see this a little when I was running 35 miles per week, but it's very obvious when I'm over 50 miles per week with a couple of quality workout days and a long run.

So . . . depending on how often you weight, what you're seeing may or may not reflect reality. The weight can fluctuate more in serious training mode than it does when you're just running the same amount every week. And yes, ramping up the miles can mean you need to eat more to maintain the weight; but if you're trying to lose, you feel good, and your running performance is good, I wouldn't worry about the weight coming off. Time enough to worry about that when you no longer want to lose and/or your running performance suffers and/or you feel awful after losing too much, too fast.

Just for the sake of example, here's my last 7 days of weight fluctuation.

rest day, then +1.2 lbs.
    speed work day, then -0.2 lbs.
    easy run day, then -0.4 lbs.
    long MP interval day, then -1.0 lbs.
    rest day, then +3.0 lbs.
    16 mile snowy run, then -2.0 lbs.
    12 mile run on tired legs, then -0.8 lbs.

Net change over 7 days, -0.2 lbs. I'll call that maintenance, even though the daily numbers bounce around more than they would if I were just conservatively running 35 mostly easy miles per week. Rest day today, and I expect my weight to bounce back up tomorrow morning.

@MobyCarp

Thanks for that! You made me look at my stats. (Sorry, my formatting is a bit different.)

01 Mar – 12.6 km easy; 64.2 kg
    02 Mar – 2.6 km + 1200 metres swimming; 63.4 kg (-0.8 kg from previous day)
    03 Mar – 10 km fairly easy; 64.4 kg (+ 1 kg from previous day)
    04 Mar – 8.2 km including parkrun which was flat out; 64.2 kg (-0.2 kg from previous day)
    05 Mar - rest/walk day; 63.5 kg (-0.7 kg from previous day)
    06 Mar – 14.2 km easy; 64 kg (+0.5 kg from previous day)
    07 Mar - 07 Mar – 2.7 km + 1200 metres swimming; 64.3 kg (+0.3 kg)

I'd been confused why I'd noticed I was going up after a rest day, but hadn't realised I was going down after a run day. Apart from today, but I ate a lot of salt yesterday.

This is interesting. I keep meaning to start using a weight trend tracker and actually weigh every day. I suppose I should suck it up and start, lol. Especially as I get down closer to my goal weight. Normally I weigh once a week, same day/time/lack of clothing/post bathroom trip/etc. This was my recent trend:

Sunday, 2/19 - 159.6
    Sunday, 2/26 - 156.8
    Sunday, 3/5 - 153.2

150 marks the top end of my supposed healthy BMI range, so I was definitely surprised to see this much of a drop this quickly. It would be interesting to see how it fluctuates on a daily basis, and how it's influenced by my workout schedule. Right now, my weigh in day is the day after a cross-training day, which just consists of a 1 hour zumba class.

Anyone have any favorite weight trend apps for Android?

@KatieJane83

I've been using Happy Scale for iOS for nearly 2 years, but I gather Libra is the alternative on Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cachapa.libra&hl=en
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This should have been a day off, because I only got home around midnight ... and then it sees you staring at the ceiling at workout time ... over to zombie-mode
    09/03 (or as 03/09 at the other side of the pond) - 30 min run in Zombie mode - 3.6mile, followed with 1.5mile Interval & Core workout
    exercise.png

Coming up:
    • 10/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip)
    • 11/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1 :) )
    • 01/05 - Milton Keynes HM
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Anyone have any favorite weight trend apps for Android?

@KatieJane83

I've been using Happy Scale for iOS for nearly 2 years, but I gather Libra is the alternative on Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cachapa.libra&hl=en

I use Libra on Android, but I haven't weighed myself that much recently (didn't want to see how bad it was, assumed I'd at best stayed the same then was pleased to see I'd dropped a couple of pounds (an audible gasp was heard))

It has a graph and you can add in measurements as well. You can set up a goal weight and it gives you a predicted date for that goal. It's quite reassuring to see.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Date activity Run dist (mi)
    1-Mar Yoga 60 min/onion-pub run 7.8
    2-Mar rest
    3-Mar rest
    4-Mar Ft. Eustis 10K 7.9
    5-Mar 20 lb easy run 4.4
    6-Mar Yoga 60 min/lifting 30min
    7-Mar rest
    8-Mar Yoga 60 min / lifting 30min / run 7.8
    9-Mar rest
    10-Mar
    11-Mar
    12-Mar

Goal (miles) 80
    left (miles) 52.1

2017 Races
    1/14/2017 Menchville Winter Chill 5K 22:12 1 AG 15 OA
    2/11/2017 Run for the Heart 10 mile 1:17:25 1 AG 12 OA
    2/18/2017 Gloucester 8K 35:04:00 1 AG 12 OA
    3/4/2017 Fort Eustis 10K 44:31:00 4 AG 18 OA
    4/1/2017 Joe & Sue Moore 5K
    4/15/2017 Victory at Yorktown 10K
    4/22/2017 Run the DOG Street 5K
    5/13/2017 Bull Island 4 miler
    5/29/2017 Yorktown Freedom 8K
    7/29/2017 Coast Guard Day 5K
    8/19/2017 Smart Smiles 5K
    9/16/2017 Mulberry Island HM
    TBD Poquoson Run with the Bulls 5K
    TBD Yorktown Battlefield 10 miler
    TBD Run with the Son for Haiti 5K
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    I would run laps in a 100 square foot room before I would even think of getting on a treadmill. I hate those things! They F my cadence and stride all up and they give me the rebound effect that makes me think I'm faster than I am.
    Different for me I guess, as I see them as a tool. I got problems pacing myself, and at least on a TM I am in control rather than my single brain cell, which only tells me to go faster, until I break down, which does not help with longer distances
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    I would run laps in a 100 square foot room before I would even think of getting on a treadmill. I hate those things! They F my cadence and stride all up and they give me the rebound effect that makes me think I'm faster than I am.
    Different for me I guess, as I see them as a tool. I got problems pacing myself, and at least on a TM I am in control rather than my single brain cell, which only tells me to go faster, until I break down, which does not help with longer distances

I have the same problem with going too fast as well. I've set my running app to verbally tell me when I go too fast or slow.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

exercise.png