March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Not sure if it was shared in here yet.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/female-jogger-seattle-defense-tactics-fend-off-brutal/story?id=46034147

I took a self-defense class about a year ago. But I feel like we should take them every year or two, like CPR!

Wonder if that helps with bears as well :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/female-jogger-seattle-defense-tactics-fend-off-brutal/story?id=46034147

I took a self-defense class about a year ago. But I feel like we should take them every year or two, like CPR!

My money is on the bear. Except against Chuck Norris, of course.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »

My money is on the bear. Except against Chuck Norris, of course.
    Or mothers-in-law. . .

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Anyone know of any virtual races with bling?

I've done 8 HMs and only got bling for one of them, but I think I might like to get something as a memento for the 30 km I'm planning to do on my own soon.

Do you like pie? No, not that pie, the 3.14.... kind of pi.

https://pi5k.com/

You intentionally got my hopes up Stan. I thought​ we all were having pie! Maybe there pie at the finish line?
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I've done 8 HMs and only got bling for one of them, but I think I might like to get something as a memento for the 30 km I'm planning to do on my own soon.

You intentionally got my hopes up Stan. I thought​ we all were having pie! Maybe there pie at the finish line?

My very first race was "Run 3.14 Pie." I got a frozen pumpkin pie for swag. It was a crummy pie, but I'd run for pie, again. Probably have to buy my own pie - but it's cheaper than a race registration, anyway.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @iofred - Yeah, I don't think I would try it on a bear! What everyone around here says with the brown bears here we are supposed to put our arms up straight in the air to appear taller than the bear. When I saw one on my run I just froze - there was no hands up!

@dpwellman - Luckily mine is not too bad! She drives me crazy but compared to other people I have heard about she isn't too bad.

Decided to take a rest day today due to the stress of a friend having a heart attack (completely unexpected). She's going to be okay, thank goodness. I'm just so shocked .. she just got over a super bug and isn't really 100% and now this. She's in shape - eats healthy and was a runner for many years but after adopting a little girl 5 years ago hasn't had much time to run/exercise. So... just drove right past gym and home. As I look at my month I guess I'm due for one anyway. I have a lot of grading to do anyway, so I can get it done earlier than I would have.

3/1 - 3.3 miles
    3/2 - 4.1 miles
    3/3 - rest day
    3/4 - 34 miles biking
    3/5 - 28 miles biking
    3/6 - 4 miles + strength training
    3/7 - 4.5 miles
    3/8 - strength training
    3/9 - 4.6 miles
    3/10 - 4.1 miles
    3/11 - 34 miles biking
    3/12 - 40 miles biking
    3/13 - rest day

exercise.png

• HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Saw that and was about to share as well. Scary, but good for her!!! "Not today, MF!" And we should definitely take regular training.

@Stoshew71 - Mmm, pie. Time to go sign up for my first virtual 5K! :)

For today, though...
    Set out on my lunch break to begin work on elongating runs, only to feel some twinges in my shins that made me stop after 1.23M. (And at an abysmal 15+min pace.) Don't know whether the pain is residual from Saturday's race? Or a reaction to slogging through boggy wet grass and mud? Or....? Disappointing, but I'd rather stop and rest up some more than risk full-on splints.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I aim to please.
    Is it fitness pie?

Only if it is fitness pizza pie.

'ey youse, this ain't Chicago! Or Jersey. Haha!!!

You ever hear za referred to as pie in the south? Confuses 'em!
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 no running High, my comment was just objective and based on facts. :smiley:

Felt awful after the 20miles run yesterday. Today my bike took me to a 50km ride, i managed to relax my muscles and I feel much better now. Nice day, sunny and hot, wanted to ride for just 20-30k but then the bike took me farer.

Tomorrow usual 9 miles. 2 weeks to marathon. Better morale. Nice week end planned. Back and leg must be better, or I'm *kitten* up for the marathon
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I believe I have demonstrated pizza relieves a balky knee.

@ddmom0811 I don't have any inlaws currently, but I used to. I can't take credit for re-purposing a punch line from a very old joke.

@lennyt91 I don't think I've seen one of those in 20-some odd years.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 a video came up in my fb feed after posting about Reynaud's (I hate the way everything gets connected). Anyway, this suggested the way to warm your fingers is to warm your wrists. Yes, they were selling wrist warmers, but it's an idea worth testing out.

Thanks for the info on dry needle therapy. I've had acupuncture, but I'm quite into Chinese medicine/daoist theories anyway so the background worked for me.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: March MTD (goal = 95)
    03/01/17 :::: 2.3 :::: 2.3
    03/02/17 :::: 6.7 :::: 9.0
    03/03/17 :::: 5.1 :::: 14.1
    03/04/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 17.2
    03/05/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 19.9
    03/06/17 :::: 4.4 :::: 24.2
    03/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 24.2
    03/08/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 26.9
    03/09/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 29.5
    03/10/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 33.0
    03/11/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 35.7
    03/12/17 :::: 7.7 :::: 43.4
    03/13/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 46.0

Treadmill run this morning again. Temps are starting to go up but then we're expecting a bunch of snow starting tonight so we'll see if the rest of the week is all indoors too.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Me too. I am a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter. BUT I RUN.
    And you do NOT jog (4-letter word).... :smiley: