March 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Tinkerer app mentions every half mile, and you can schedule your distance
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Does any one know of a running app or device that you can set to alert you at a set number of miles?

I love my fitbit charge hr but I'd prefer something that can give me an alarm at x miles ran.

My Garmin (Fenix 3 HR) vibrates and displays a lap summary after each mile when tracking a run. I'm not sure if other Garmins will do that as well. The Fenix 3 and Fenix 3 HR are higher-end models.

The Zombies, Run! app also gives me a summary every mile. It will tell me: X miles run in Y minutes Z seconds. It is not as reliable on longer runs if I decide to complete a mission and start a new mission, because it resets of course.

And You can set Zombies, Run! to play missions back-to-back! A handy hack for running a set number of missions before starting Radio Mode is to only download as many missions as you want to run back-to-back.

I bought a phone with a memory card specifically to have storage for all 5 seasons of missions, so I could stop deleting them to make more room... Not a strategy I employ.

Oh, I need to figure out how to make those missions run back to back. It will save some time stopping to finish a mission and start a new one.

It's the settings menu on the mission screen. All kinds of cool stuff in there, like adjusting the length of the mission, and whether you want the story to interrupt your music or wait until the song ends...
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld - Mapmyrun will give you notification every mile or whatever you want to set it to along with overall pace and pace for each completed mile. I have an Apple watch and you can have a goal with it as well that is set to distance or time among other options. I will show a count or an icon circle that gradually closes. It also gives a haptic (buzz on your wrist) each time a mile is completed and at your halfway point. The problem for me though is I don't always notice it especially if I am zoned out into my run, music and surroundings :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    ariceroni wrote: »
    I have a question - how long before a race do you guys suggest I switch to maintenance calories? I've been eating at a deficit (~500 cal deficit per day) for the last 2+ months. I really want to perform my absolute best as this race and think upping my calories to maintenance level would be a good idea. Any thoughts on when, in relation to the race, would be a good time to do this?

Depends on the race and your training. As a minimum, I would suggest for your entire taper period. I think I read somewhere that it takes at least 2 weeks for your muscles to fully recover from a workout? So if you go by that, I would definitely say that same period you should be eating at least maintenance.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Does any one know of a running app or device that you can set to alert you at a set number of miles?

I love my fitbit charge hr but I'd prefer something that can give me an alarm at x miles ran.

My Garmin (Fenix 3 HR) vibrates and displays a lap summary after each mile when tracking a run. I'm not sure if other Garmins will do that as well. The Fenix 3 and Fenix 3 HR are higher-end models.

The Zombies, Run! app also gives me a summary every mile. It will tell me: X miles run in Y minutes Z seconds. It is not as reliable on longer runs if I decide to complete a mission and start a new mission, because it resets of course.

My current Garmin Vivoactive and previous Garmin Forerunner 220 vibrates after every mile and shows the time for it as well.

Yup, my FR220 vibrates, beeps, and light up as well. My previous FR-10 doesn't vibrate, but it does beep and light up after each split.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

And You can set Zombies, Run! to play missions back-to-back! A handy hack for running a set number of missions before starting Radio Mode is to only download as many missions as you want to run back-to-back.

I bought a phone with a memory card specifically to have storage for all 5 seasons of missions, so I could stop deleting them to make more room... Not a strategy I employ.

Oh, I need to figure out how to make those missions run back to back. It will save some time stopping to finish a mission and start a new one.

It's the settings menu on the mission screen. All kinds of cool stuff in there, like adjusting the length of the mission, and whether you want the story to interrupt your music or wait until the song ends...

Thank you! I got it to work, but it didn't do the ending and intro for the next mission. I feel like I missed out on the opening.

Anyway, I did 6.32 miles today:

exercise.png
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Another short run this afternoon - 2.1 km - but still recovering from a cough/cold. Slowwwwly getting closer to the month goal!

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Mar 02     4.6T       4.6
    Mar 04     6.5       11.1
    Mar 06     4.4T      15.5
    Mar 07     6.7T      22.2
    Mar 09     5.3T      27.5

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone!
    I never know what to say - didn't realize he wanted "outside world" news. I just dropped a few lines to let him know that I'm deeply appreciative of his willingness to serve.

Maybe he can decipher my chicken-scratch handwriting....
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2017
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone!
    I never know what to say - didn't realize he wanted "outside world" news. I just dropped a few lines to let him know that I'm deeply appreciative of his willingness to serve.

Maybe he can decipher my chicken-scratch handwriting....

That's great! I just threw that out there in case someone needed a topic to write him about.
    Thanks!

An I bet my writing isn't much better :blush:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    March Running Totals (miles)
    3/1 – 7.32 easy with hills
    3/2 – 13.10 long intervals
    3/3 – rest day
    3/4 – 16.09 paced run
    3/5 – 12.67 easy with hills
    3/6 – rest day
    3/7 – 10.20 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/8 – 7.02 easy
    3/9 – 14.25 easy with MP finish

March total to date – 80.65

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train well toward Boston. Run well at the USATF Masters 8K Championship in Virginia Beach.

Today's notes – The assignment was 15 miles easy. It got cut short, because along about mile 12 I realized it would be really tough to run 3 more miles without a rest room break, and 14.25 is where home landed. If I could have arrived at my driveway at 13 miles, that's how long the run would have been.

Other that the realization that starting a 10+ mile run at 3 PM doesn't work well for me biologically, it was a nice run. The last 3 miles were closer to MP than easy, because that's the way it was. 18 mph wind, but it was from the familiar SW direction, so I knew well in advance where the wind would be challenging. Got through the 9 miles of hills in good shape. In the wake of yesterday's wind storm, I found that non-working traffic lights make crossing major roads easier for a runner, because drivers treat them as a 4 way stop.

And I have a house guest for the night, because my daughter is still without power. Hopefully it gets restored by this time tomorrow; but if not, I'll still have the space for her and potentially for her cats.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Virginia Beach, VA)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)