March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning yeah I saw that screw up, tried to fix it but deleted instead and just gave up at that point.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I'm dying! Just shared this with my running group on fb, I'm sure they'll appreciate it
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Question for the group: Would it be crazy or a bad idea to add a 10K 'trail run' (on mixed surfaces) only 1 week before the more challenging 12K trail race?

I'm thinking this would be a way to practice and gauge capability in a race situation (knowing that the 12K terrain will be more challenging). With all things considered, I didn't really plan to do much (or any) taper of more than 1-3 days before the 12K. I won't run the day before, and 2 days before will probably be an easy run... I think I will continue training as normal up until then.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    03/01: 105 min XT + stretch
    03/02: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:29 pace + 45 min XT + stretch + core
    03/03: 90 min XT + stretch + strength training
    03/04: 3.04 mile easy run, 9:31 pace + 45 min XT + core
    03/05: 10.07 mile long run, 9:28 pace + stretch
    03/06: 3.05 mile easy run, 9:32 pace + 20 min XT + stretch + core
    03/07: 75 min XT + stretch + strength training
    03/08: 4.01 mile easy run, 9:32 pace + 60 min XT + core
    03/09: 6.03 mile run - 4 mile tempo, 8:08 average pace + 15 min XT + stretch
    03/10: 4.05 mile easy run, 9:32 pace + 20 min XT + strength training
    Total: 34.30 miles

Notes:
    Easy four miles today. It was pretty cold (12*F real feel) and windy (17+ mph) so I almost did this run on the treadmill! And then I realized how crazy that was, because I absolutely hate the treadmill and refused to use it a single time this winter. So I just told myself that this would be the last really cold run until next winter (I hope I didn't lie!) and went out the door. It's crazy to think that in one week I'll be in FL, running in the heat!

@7lenny7 @midwesterner85 and @Stoshew71 thank you for the input! I'm 10 days out from the race so I guess I should have asked a little sooner haha; I'm increasing calories starting today since that's the next closest thing to two weeks. For my next big race (HM in May) I'll have to up the calories a little sooner!
    @MNLittleFinn woohooo! Happy your run went so well and that you are still pain free!
    @lporter229 hoping that your next two runs go well and the hamstring pain stays manageable! Extended time off is definitely not fun, but the part where you come back and are able to run pain-free (!!!) makes the time off worth it :)

exercise.png

Training For:
    03/19: Excalibur 10 Miler (Viera, FL)
    04/23: Ravenswood Run, 5K (Chicago)
    05/21: Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    10/08: Chicago Marathon
    11/26: Space Coast Half Marathon (Cocoa, FL)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I'm dying! Just shared this with my running group on fb, I'm sure they'll appreciate it

Thanks for sharing @MobyCarp!

My question is this, if he's in Canada, what is he doing at Starbucks??? Shouldn't he have gone to a Tim Horton's?? Lol!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner that looks like a cool Idea, I'll have to try that out too. This is all theoretical right now, since I have to actually get out running with my belt on longer runs, to see if I'm going to end up using it for the race. For training runs though, I'll be trying everything.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Notes:
    Easy four miles today. It was pretty cold (12*F real feel) and windy (17+ mph) so I almost did this run on the treadmill! And then I realized how crazy that was, because I absolutely hate the treadmill and refused to use it a single time this winter. So I just told myself that this would be the last really cold run until next winter (I hope I didn't lie!) and went out the door. It's crazy to think that in one week I'll be in FL, running in the heat!

@MNLittleFinn woohooo! Happy your run went so well and that you are still pain free!

Thanks! I'm really hoping I can get through through the next 14 weeks without too many more setbacks.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Question for the group: Would it be crazy or a bad idea to add a 10K 'trail run' (on mixed surfaces) only 1 week before the more challenging 12K trail race?

I'm thinking this would be a way to practice and gauge capability in a race situation (knowing that the 12K terrain will be more challenging). With all things considered, I didn't really plan to do much (or any) taper of more than 1-3 days before the 12K. I won't run the day before, and 2 days before will probably be an easy run... I think I will continue training as normal up until then.

I don't know if it's right, but I did an 11 mile trail run at the location of a 15K trail race 1 week before the race. It helped tremendously to know what to expect. I came in 2nd place overall female and won Master's so it worked for me. Other than not running the day before, I didn't do anything special to taper for the race.

Thank you for the feedback. For the 4/1 (the more challenging race), I've run the track a few times. Most recently, I tried going out last weekend, but half of it is closed off due to bridge repair through 3/31. I won't be able to run the entire track again until race day (unless I break the park's rules, which I don't want to do).
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    01/03 3.52 miles
    02/03 5.02 miles
    04/03 4.5 miles
    08/03 5.16 miles
    09/03 3.54 miles
    10/03 3.51 miles

@MNLittleFinn - Glad your run was a success, the cardio will come back really fast too, the first run after a break is always tough

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I need ya'all to keep me sane....I have a 6 mile planned tomorrow afternoon with another local runner, but I also really need to get back into the groove of morning runs, since that's when all of my long runs are, by necessity.....There's a conflict in my mind over getting in a quick 2 or 3 mile tomorrow morning, just so I can get that groove back on. Am I totally insane?
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I don't know if it's right, but I did an 11 mile trail run at the location of a 15K trail race 1 week before the race. It helped tremendously to know what to expect. I came in 2nd place overall female and won Master's so it worked for me. Other than not running the day before, I didn't do anything special to taper for the race.

Thank you for the feedback. For the 4/1 (the more challenging race), I've run the track a few times. Most recently, I tried going out last weekend, but half of it is closed off due to bridge repair through 3/31. I won't be able to run the entire track again until race day (unless I break the park's rules, which I don't want to do).

Yeah...I wouldn't break the rules either. It's probably for safety reasons. Either way, it definitely helped me mentally to know how I'd handle the distance and terrain.

The race actually went better than the practice run. It was July in Texas so I went as soon as the state park opened to beat the heat for the practice run. Therefore, I got to clear all the spider webs made over night with my face, arms, legs.... :s I also got lost a few times. No issues with spider webs during the race and the trail was clearly marked. Yay!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Yeah...I wouldn't break the rules either. It's probably for safety reasons. Either way, it definitely helped me mentally to know how I'd handle the distance and terrain.

The race actually went better than the practice run. It was July in Texas so I went as soon as the state park opened to beat the heat for the practice run. Therefore, I got to clear all the spider webs made over night with my face, arms, legs.... :s I also got lost a few times. No issues with spider webs during the race and the trail was clearly marked. Yay!

Yes... spider webs across trails. Better than almost stepping on a timber rattler. That happened when I was hiking Old Rag Mountain, Shenandoah National Park, VA a couple years ago. I was just hiking along and heard a noise from the ground. In the fraction of a second it took to pivot my head downward to see what it was, my brain figured it out before my eyes. I didn't even get a chance to look at it before jumping up on a large, tall rock to get away from it. And don't even get me started on ticks...

I am a bit worried about the route because there are a lot of false trails in the area in addition to a few side-trails that would be wrong. I put something on the race facebook page and got some responses that help ease anxiety a bit. I'm not worried about not making it back... it is about whether I follow the proper route or not. They assured me that the course marshall is putting a lot of time into this. Worst case is that my course time is terrible because I went the wrong way, which isn't really the end of the world.

It has been awhile since I did a race, but the race atmosphere helps me go faster. My concern is with these longer races where the atmosphere might cause me to go too fast and wear out with too much distance left to keep average pace up.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @greenolivetree yeah....LOL I think it was just an excuse to get another run in. I've got to remind myself, runs should have a purpose. a run tomorrow morning would have no purpose.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    01/03 3.86 miles
    02/03 Rest
    03/03 2.78
    04/03 Rest
    05/03 7.05
    06/03 Rest
    07/03 Rest
    08/03 3.80
    09/03 Rest
    10/03 2.89

Total 20.38/60target

Many thanks for all the running app suggestions. I'll take a look at the over the weekend :)