March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @ko4q - Get the scalp massage tonight, and do the run tomorrow, and look fabulous while doing it! :wink:
    this
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Confession time. I was so happy to be running and "healthy" for the first time in over a week, that I ran too hard. 3.14 miles in 27:21 for an average pace of 8:43.

Legs felt good, but my cardio is definitely down from time off running plus stomach flu. Going to have to rebuild some on that front. Speed is still there, just not the cardio to back it

Side note, I had my usual pace alerts turned off. They keep me close to a pace range of 9:45-10:30, I tend to go too fast without them.....Guess tonight proves that.

That's great @MNLittleFinn ! looks like you and I are in opposite ends of the boat. Last night I ran 3.8 miles at an average pace of 9:11, which is slower than my norm. Cardio is there, I don't think my HR ever went over 130, but my legs were just not having it. Getting back to business is tough! Feeling for you @Elise4270 and others who have had extended layoffs due to injury.

Just got back from my PT appointment. Another needling session has my legs feeling pretty good. I told him that I ran about 4 miles last night and pain was about a 2-3 and he seemed to feel pretty good about that. He told me to run 6 and 8 mile runs tomorrow and Monday. I pointed out that Boston is about 5 weeks away and he looked a little concerned about me getting my mileage back up by then. At least he gets it and is not trying to hold me back. We both agreed that the main focus right now is to baby my hamstrings as much as possible to get me through Boston, then plan on a period of extended rest to let them heal. I am not too happy about the extended rest part, but I guess that's just how life goes...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - On the February thread, you mentioned a hydration belt you found cheap: runningwarehouse.com/Nathan_Trail_Mix_Belt/descpage-NTMBCL.html

I looked at the link, and it appeared to be a different color of the belt I bought in 2014 that has stood me in good stead. I realized that the elastic on my vintage 2014 belt is getting old, and this was cheap, so I ordered one. It arrived 2 days ago. Aside from color and some minor differences in cut on the pouch and clip, it's the same belt. I wore it for the first time on yesterday's run, and it worked perfectly. The bottles were a little harder to get in and out than on the vintage 2014 belt; I guess the elastic is wearing out on the old one. It's good to replace it before I start losing bottles on the run.

The pouch is not quite big enough to comfortably put my iPhone 5 in its Otterbox in, but that's okay. I'm using the pouch for spare gels, driver's licence, medical insurance card, and a credit card. The phone goes in a clip on leather case and clips onto the belt, same as with the older belt.

Compared to the $30 or $35 I paid in 2014, this was quite a bargain. And it works with all my existing Nathan bottles.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - On the February thread, you mentioned a hydration belt you found cheap: runningwarehouse.com/Nathan_Trail_Mix_Belt/descpage-NTMBCL.html

I looked at the link, and it appeared to be a different color of the belt I bought in 2014 that has stood me in good stead. I realized that the elastic on my vintage 2014 belt is getting old, and this was cheap, so I ordered one. It arrived 2 days ago. Aside from color and some minor differences in cut on the pouch and clip, it's the same belt. I wore it for the first time on yesterday's run, and it worked perfectly. The bottles were a little harder to get in and out than on the vintage 2014 belt; I guess the elastic is wearing out on the old one. It's good to replace it before I start losing bottles on the run.

The pouch is not quite big enough to comfortably put my iPhone 5 in its Otterbox in, but that's okay. I'm using the pouch for spare gels, driver's licence, medical insurance card, and a credit card. The phone goes in a clip on leather case and clips onto the belt, same as with the older belt.

Compared to the $30 or $35 I paid in 2014, this was quite a bargain. And it works with all my existing Nathan bottles.

Thanks for that info! I ended up buying one, but got injured and then sick before I had a chance to try it out. I'm planning to try it on my 16+ mile runs when the weather gets nicer. I found a way to get 4 honey stingers into the external cords, I'll have to see how easy they are to get out on a run. For the price, I really couldn't pass it up.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!!

exercise.png

1/3: 30 mins strength training + 30 mins yoga
    2/3: 34 mins C25K (Wk6 D2) 4.48 kms + 30 mins yoga
    3/3: Walked 14K+ steps
    4/3: Walked 5K+ steps
    5/3: Walked 4K+ steps
    6/3: Walked 2K+ steps
    7/3: Walked 7K+ steps
    8/3: 31 mins Interval running 3.86 kms + 30 mins yoga
    9/3: 30 mins strength training + 30 mins yoga
    10/3: 30 mins Interval running 3.79 kms + 30 mins yoga
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Elise4270 congrats on running without grinding your gears!!! Awesome to hear!
    @dpwellman that's the same strategy I'm going to employ when I do a Ragnar. I watched the FB boards last year and that last week, it would have been easy to find a time. Otherwise the only people I know of who would do a Ragnar are already on another team. I generally like to run solo, but I think I'd enjoy the adventure of a Ragnar with strangers. Our closest Ragnar is in August, though, and summer is sailing season for us so the ideal situation is that three days out from that weekend we get a crappy, rainy forecast so my wife won't want to go sailing and I can freelance onto a team which needs a runner.
    @MNLittleFinn sounds like you're back on track, fantastic!
    @lporter229 I wish you had better news about our hamstring but I do like that your doc understands completing Boston.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Date - Mi - MTD
    3/1 - 1.26 - 1.26
    3/2 - 6.00 - 7.26
    3/3 - 1.43 - 8.69
    3/6 - 3.55 -12.24
    3/7 - 1.20 - 13.44
    3/8 - 6.00 - 19.44
    3/9 - 4.20 - 23.64
    3/10 - 1.23 - 24.47
    Miles remaining 45.13
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 congrats on running without grinding your gears!!! Awesome to hear!
    @dpwellman that's the same strategy I'm going to employ when I do a Ragnar. I watched the FB boards last year and that last week, it would have been easy to find a time. Otherwise the only people I know of who would do a Ragnar are already on another team. I generally like to run solo, but I think I'd enjoy the adventure of a Ragnar with strangers. Our closest Ragnar is in August, though, and summer is sailing season for us so the ideal situation is that three days out from that weekend we get a crappy, rainy forecast so my wife won't want to go sailing and I can freelance onto a team which needs a runner.
    @MNLittleFinn sounds like you're back on track, fantastic!
    @lporter229 I wish you had better news about our hamstring but I do like that your doc understands completing Boston.
    @MobyCarp you'll be stylin' with that new belt!
    ftfy :wink:
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Does any one know of a running app or device that you can set to alert you at a set number of miles?

I love my fitbit charge hr but I'd prefer something that can give me an alarm at x miles ran.

My Garmin (Fenix 3 HR) vibrates and displays a lap summary after each mile when tracking a run. I'm not sure if other Garmins will do that as well. The Fenix 3 and Fenix 3 HR are higher-end models.

The Zombies, Run! app also gives me a summary every mile. It will tell me: X miles run in Y minutes Z seconds. It is not as reliable on longer runs if I decide to complete a mission and start a new mission, because it resets of course.

And You can set Zombies, Run! to play missions back-to-back! A handy hack for running a set number of missions before starting Radio Mode is to only download as many missions as you want to run back-to-back.

I bought a phone with a memory card specifically to have storage for all 5 seasons of missions, so I could stop deleting them to make more room... Not a strategy I employ.

Oh, I need to figure out how to make those missions run back to back. It will save some time stopping to finish a mission and start a new one.

It's the settings menu on the mission screen. All kinds of cool stuff in there, like adjusting the length of the mission, and whether you want the story to interrupt your music or wait until the song ends...

Thank you! I got it to work, but it didn't do the ending and intro for the next mission. I feel like I missed out on the opening.

Anyway, I did 6.32 miles today:

exercise.png

You may have accidentally toggled "Play Previously/Next On clips" right above "Play Missions Back-to-Back."
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @lporter229 I'm sorry to hear your hamstring is still giving you that trouble! Sounds like your doc understands runners though, so that is good!