WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OK, I didn't write any notes and hope I remember all I want to wrtie.

Love the elk lawn keeping service. I watch Shark Tank and on one episode they had a goat service for hire to take care of lawns. I can't remember if one of the sharks bought in or not.

Making your own essential oil concoctions. The only thing I have ever made, and it really worked was a hand lotion/antibiotic. I took a nice smelling lavender hand lotion, neosporin ointment and vaseline jelly, mixed it up real good and put it in a small rather flat tupperware container so I could put it in my nurse's lab coat pocket. Nurses as in many other professions wash their hands a lot and this concoction really kept my hands supple. I had many requests to use it from my fellow employees.

As for coffee. I hate the taste of it, love the smell. My Dad was a small town preacher and therefore Mom and Dad were always in the kitchen together fixing breakfast in the morning. It was the smell of coffee that I would wake up to every morning and then the chatter of my parents and we could always hear an occasional kiss in with the chatter. Mom and Dad dearly loved each other and showed it in many ways and were very free with their hugs and kisses to each other. So the smell of coffee always reminds me of that love and all those memories. But it also reminds me of when I was in nursing school when we were in our psych training. As part of our clinical experience a big part of it was sitting and talking to the patients. But if they were drinking coffee which was most of the time, we were required to drink coffee along with them. When I told our instructor my dislike for coffee and that I loved hot tea and could have it in the same kind of mug, I was refused in doing so.

Love the quilt, the animals, the babies. Oh the babies! They are growing so. I love Olivia's smile!!!!!!!! You can tell she is loved and healthy. Need to see a recent pic of Mia and Jaqueen. Hope I was spelling his name right.

Well I haven't done a whole lot to be proactive in losing any weight but just conscious of the fact that I gained 45 of my 60 pounds back. I can't remember when I got up to my weight of 218 but I have been holding at 202.4 for so long. It is quite discouraging but I know it is my own fault. For those who are new, when I started here maybe about 5 years ago, I had started at 232.8 and lost down to 172.8. From a size 22 to a 12. I am holding at a 16 now. But today the scales was at 203.6. Yesterday I took my B/P and it was 162/110. Hasn't been that high in a long, long time. Like 25 years. So I looked through my blood pressure pills to see what I could take an extra pill of and took an extra. It finally got down to 156/74. Not a big difference in upper umber but the lower number was fantastic. Since that number is the pressure of your artery at rest I was very pleased. But I knew that it was only a bandaid and not an actual fix. So I was glad to see a lower number. It was about the same this morning except the upper number was a little lower.

When I saw that number last night and trying to figure out what to do, you know a nurse can't just call a doctor, I decided to try this Lavender tea I bought. It said it was for stress. I knew that going to the choir rehearsal room yesterday before church and walking up 2 flights of stairs made my back really hurt might be one reason why the number was so high. So I took 2 Tylenol and tried this tea. I was a bit disapointed that the tea didn't taste good at all. The box said it was Lavender and honey so I didn't put anything in it. Long story short, I know I need to watch my sodium more than I do.

Rambling Joyce in Indiana
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    So sorry Rita about you getting scammed!!!!!

Yes I agree the essential oils discussion is enlightening!! I remember growing lavender, and putting sprays of it all over my home, especially the bathroom. I also put the buds in Epsom salts to make my own bath salts! I have made after shower rubdown of almond oil and a couple of drops of lavender essential oil. I need to purchase my favorite soap, which is Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Soap! Comes in a large container that you have to cut with water. You can wash clothes, brush your teeth, douche with it, any thing!! It comes in lavender and almond too, and runs about $15 for the container, but transferring it to another smaller container, with half of it water makes it economical.

Well I am starting to reduce my sugar intake. Looked online and doctors state that a healthy intake you should consume no more than 25.2 grams or 6 tsp a day. Well logging my food for the day, my breakfast alone, made my daily intake! Aaack! So tomorrow I will try harder, make better choices. My main deal is coffee with 3 tsp in each cup. That's going to stop. I am not going to switch to Stevie or truvia because I just need to stop cold turkey. The next three days will be awful, I already know that. But it will get better. I shall think of my detox time as having a sinus cold! But after that watch out! Of course, today we bought soda for our teen during sorting break... Aaack!!!

Hugs ladies!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the nice words on my gourmet leftovers plate. It was a salad plate size, so it looks like a lot more.

"Breathing deeply in* lit some " forest" smelling incense after I vacuumed. I am living at a spa, with the sound of rain outside.....heehee
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    edited March 2017
    Options
    boxiy3t2g03w.jpg

Rice-a-roni fried rice 1/2 cup, and 1/8 cup walnuts. Also a 1/2 of a health bar.

Dinner kind of simple.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Charleen: Absolutely in awe of your work on Drama Queen.

Michele: Love the bumblebee.

Joyce: Please take care of yourself. We love you too much to see you and your health backsliding.

Katla: Hope you feel back to your energetic self. Happy Trails to yoouuuuu.... will be hearing that tune in my head for days now. :lol:

Margaret and everyone chiming in about essential oils: THANK YOU. I've used lavender for reiki treatments, but that mixture for the insect repellent is a recipe I really must try.

Have stocked the freezer with an assortment of easy dinner meals for DH. During the day he is a cereal and trail mix man. Must admit I'm a tad nervous about leaving him as he's just been more and more absent-minded, and easily confused and agitated. Tonight, I am forcing myself to stay awake as late as possible. Want to deprive myself of sleep so I can doze on the first leg of the trip: Denver to SFO. Good news is I've been upgraded, so will have nice big leather seat to sink into for a couple of hours. By this time tomorrow I should be swimming in Waikiki. :sweat::sunglasses::heart: I'll carry you all with me.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    with aloha from the Colorado Foothills
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Rita ... so sorry you got scammed. Sending a check for too much is one of the top scams perpetuated on Craigslist. We use craigslist a lot and have had people try something similar. As someone else suggested, I would report it to Craigslist as well as the police.

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Michele- your bumblebee is adorable. You must have so much fun working on it. Thanks for your input on th compression stockings.
    Rori- have a role deregulation time in Waikiki. You deserve a vacation.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    Michele- your bumblebee is adorable. You must have so much fun working on it. Thanks for your input on the compression stockings.
    Rori- have a wonderful time in Waikiki. You deserve a vacation.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,001 Member
    Options
    :)Charleen, I am in such awe of your talent with quilting

:'(Rita, I am so sorry about your getting scammed.

:)Rori, I worry about my husband when I'm gone but fortunately I'm not gone as much as you are. Great idea preparing healthy meals for him.

:o Jake is on day two of a nasty cold and most of his conversation has been "I feel lousy". Tonight he is sleeping in the guest room so he won't keep me up with his coughing.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington---grateful for more daylight in the morning.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Rori - Oh how I wish I were on my way to Hawaii in the morning. Have fun, even though I know you will be busy too.

Janetr OKC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,102 Member
    Options
    (((Rita)))

Charleen stunning.

Michele darling bee!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I've had a day of it. Nothing like having DH have his pipes cleaned, with catheter from HELL; but, at least they have been putting him to sleep to do it, except the one time that one of the Urologists in the practice decided to do it while he was awake. He even asked his nurses 'if they were going to help'. My Gosh, if I had known that SOB was going to do that ... I would have jacked up his jaw. Even his 'new' Urologist squirmed when he told him about it. Of course, the one is 'out on a medical leave'; but, I don't think that is all to it. He's had problems with Rx drugs before; bet 'cha they pushed him out of the practice. DRUGS!!!!! Not sure who should actually be taking them, him or me. Poor baby, it has to hurt like a sum-o-beach! Tonight, he was in agonizing pain; we'll see how much he fills the bag overnight; might have to go get it flushed out like they did the last time. I hate it for him; but, this is just one of the side effects of having radiated seeds implanted to treat prostate cancer. When he had it done about 15 years ago, I don't think they even knew what it would do long term. But, his PSA has been at ZERO ever since. So, I guess it can be said that he is 'cured'.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Charlene wow! wow! wow! You are so talented! Do you make your own designs or do they come from books?
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    RITA - so sorry you got scammed, it's awful that we have to be so mistrusting. I can't believe how much personal info people put on FB either

MICHELLE- love the bee, you are so talented, I wish I was artistic :'(

Weight down a bit today but still bouncing around, do you think there is a weight at which your body just doesn't want to be?

I have used essential oils in the past eg lavender on pillow to help sleep, tea tree oil as antiseptic. Hubby gets badly bitten by mosquitos when abroad he was advised to get Spike Lavender Oil have to buy at pharmacy and quite expensive but it works

Got my new Fitbit and loving it, off to do my exercise

Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Rita painful lesson, your reporting it will save someone else.

Rori soak up all the sun and fun you can and good luck finishing the condo preparations <3

Accountability check in

-no coffee after 12 +
    -no eating after 7 +
    -gym after work+
    -vegetables with every meal +
    -wrist exercises +

Ginger you've got this, work the plan, your accountability list doesn't have to be perfect, nite time eating is the toughest! I've been brushing my teeth after I close up the kitchen, and try to keep my hands busy-puzzling o:)
    Suggestion: Try something new at nite.

NYKAREN
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    48 min Leslie Sansone vid with weights
    30 squats with KB
    20 KB swings
    1.5 min plank :(

Kate UK <3