WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Grrrr. Meant to type I will call my internist next week.......
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    Jjjjj
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    KarenNY - and Barbie -I do have a home blood pressure monitor. I am keeping a log and so far it has been high. My DdIl who is a surgeon thinks it might have something to do with the amount of iv fluids I received. It put added pressure on my heart and one kidney. I am hoping it will right itself as I haven't had high blood pressure. Will probably call my friends internist next eeek if it is still high.
    SueBDew in TX

:) It could be residual from the IV fluids Are you monitoring your sodium? Good idea to call the doctor in a few days if pressure is still high.

<3 Barbie

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    16,000 steps
    162 minutes walking Sasha and Bess
    130 minutes riding the exercise bike
    10 minutes doing physical therapy exercises
    one minute plank
    turned the clocks ahead so now I feel like I should be in bed already

• pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good busy day - did two loads of laundry, did income taxes for me and hubby, and went small appliance shopping. My rice cooker quit the other day, so bought a new one today. This one is bigger, but also makes stews, soups, steams veggies, all sorts of good things. Bought a new toaster and kettle too. The toaster DH bought a couple of years ago is c**p - takes forever to get a piece of toast. New one works much better and faster.

Hugs to all
    Paula Y
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Paula Y. Oh new appliances are always nice! I have a rice cooker that I have had since 1991,*knocking on wood now* and it's still making my Japanese sticky rice just like I like it! Bought it at the Navy Exchange store when we were stationed there! I don't steam anything else in it but rice though.

Becca
    Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Gloria - The Instant Pot Duo 7 is a combined pressure cooker, slow cooker, yoghurt maker, rice cooker, porridge etc. etc. 7 functions. It has come down a lot in price since I bought one for my son. He uses his mainly as a pressure cooker, but I intended him to use it as a slow cooker as he is out at work on long hours. It can automatically keep food warm for many hours after cooking. He loves it. It is quite large though, which is why I haven't bought one for myself. Plus I am home all day so can supervise a long cooking stew etc.
    For anyone working it would be a good buy. My son also cooks huge quantities of mixed grains/quinoa etc for salads. You can freeze that in portions.

Ginger - I love your quote. I need that sometimes. <3 Why is your DH trying to sabotage you? And why do you let him? Love yourself first. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • annieoldie
    annieoldie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have just come back to MFP.
    I had 3 weeks off from everything due to flu and the pneumonia. It has given me a lot of time to think.
    I am 69, retired from teaching but tutor part time. I have grandchildren under 3( triplets, single, single) and identical twins due any day now and another single. So in July I will have 8 grandchildren under 3yrs 6months. I love them to bits and help out when I can.
    However enforced bed rest made me realise I just have not found time for ME. Tutoring means sitting down for hours so my fitness levels reached rock bottom and pounds went on. Visiting grandchildren meant hours in the car.

I need to lose about 40pounds and improve fitness The after effects of pneumonia means exercise has to be low level so now trying to walk more. Last week getting dressed was a major achievement so I am making progress.
    Anyone else started from a very low fitness level and how did you do it?
    Thanks
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Happy Sunday!
    Welcome new girls!
    Annie- Whenever you are beginning a new fitness routine, regardless of level (low or high), remember to take baby steps. I think one of the easiest things to do is walk. Because you are recovering from pneumonia, do some slow movement or stretch-style resistance or strength training. Welcome and congrats on the grandbabies!
    Heather- The party sounds like it was a great day! Yea for your DH for being the "popular kid" at the party! So sweet that they want him to come and make play more fun! Bea, of course is darling! And you know that beauty is subjective! If we all had the same standards of beauty, everyone would be attracted to the same people. Besides, my grandma always said; "Pretty is as pretty does."
    Cathy- My book suggestion is one I give everyone: The Kindness Diaries by Leon Logothetis. It is a few years old, but a wonderfully inspiring book!
    Gloria, Sarah, Paula, and Becca- All of this talk about ceramic cookware and rice cookers! I feel so behind! I have some old non--stick (that are now basic, tired, used pots and pans) and I cook rice in pans, using steamer baskets at times depending on what kind of rice I am cooking. Because I work at home, I don't buy many small kitchen appliances. I figure, as long as I am home, I can keep an eye on what is on the stove. I will be listening/reading in regards to your ceramic cookware reviews, though. Always need new pots and pans. One thing I have noticed that I will be needing soon is a food processor. Lots of chopping is really starting to bother my hands (a little arthritis, maybe?) Heather- That Instant Pot is SO tempting, though! There are times when my day is busy and I forget to get dinner started on time. The potatoes that came out of that thing, (when I borrowed a friend's Pot last month), were so unbelievably tender and SO quick! Tempting!

Well, I stayed up late last night; set the clocks ahead before turning in, then woke up at 4am! Ugh! Too much going through my mind. Had me waking up every few minutes between midnight and 4. My sister's death, my daughter and impending birth of pi-baby, DH's job loss... I see a nap in my future! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (kelly)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    welcome Annie I was basically a sedentary person and it started having negative effect on my health. My best advice is go slow, go little by little but be very consistent about every day movement. Don't overdo, but move every day. Walking is the best!!!

I will admit to having instapot envy, especially the idea of making yogurt in it. Heather is right, the price has gone significantly, I will wait until my wonderful rice cooker gives up the ghost before I make the purchase, perhaps this summer. I am on a very strict budget so I avoid most shopping unless absolutely necessary.

DD, DH and I had a lovely homemade dinner (teriyaki tofu and noodles) and viewed vacation pics last night. DD is a little too skinny but is sounding very positive. She is making social plans, I hope she pours her heart out to my sister, who has promised to counsel her, but my sense is the difficult bit we went through last month is healing, I am getting lots of good hugs! NYKAREN
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    [

I decided we need a bit of seasonal poetry. I found this rendition of an old favorite online.

author unknown:

Spring is sprung, the grass is ris.
    I wonders where the birdies is.
    They say the birds is on the wing.
    Ain't that absurd?
    I always thought the wing was on the bird.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
    [/quote]

I had a friend in high school who used to write that ditty in my notebook every first day of spring, but just the first 2 lines. For many years after we would call each other to recite the poem and catch up. All these years I had thought she had made it up!! No matter, I'm charmed to see it again and think of her. Now I know the rest of the poem too. Thank you Katla. Another amazing reason to be a member of this fantastic group, you just never know what someone will write that will spark joy.

Chris in 6 degree MA Brrrrrrrrrrr
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Heather, I remember you met your husband online and are now happy together. It has given me hope that I may someday meet the companion I have been searching for and also find happiness in this next stage of life. You are my inspiration in so many ways. Thank you.

Chris in MA where it is still 6 degrees.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday

Weigh in today a pound up but not surprised will do better before going on holiday

Done 50 squats with KB, 10 KB swings and 15 min Leslie Sansone vid. Will also be out and about today so steps shouldn't be too bad.

Welcome to all newbies, keep on logging

Kate UK <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    I met Tom on line also back in the mid 90s..Everything went along well.for the first 10+15 yrs..Have been trying to work things through lately.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Annie - Welcome! I started at a very low fitness level after cancer treatment and just letting myself go. I am 67 now and pretty fit and reached my target weight over three years ago. I lost 57 lbs. I started slowly and worked my way up to a comprehensive fitness regime. One thing about being older is we have the time to devote to ourselves and the wisdom to know that time is not wasted. :D

Good luck! Heather UK xxxxxxx

KJ - I have ordered the book you recommended. Thank you. :D

PS - we are having the Unstuffed Cabbage Bowls from skinnytaste.com that I cooked and froze a couple of weeks ago. Love my freezer. B)