For those of you who aren't SUPER FIT-yep they are judging us.

Options

Replies

• squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Aside from the part about your autistic child, it's actually a pretty funny incident. The guy was off his rocker. Honestly, I don't think we can afford to let strangers' stupidity ruin our day. What they are "thinking" or even saying to each other doesn't matter one whit. You just keep doing your thing!

@lorrpb How is that funny???
    Watching some big guy slamming weights around because he's annoyed by another member. Ridiculous behavior! It's humorous that he would let another person get to him like that.

I also find it more than a bit ironic that said member makes the comments she did to others when there was absolutely no reason for her to say anything, then gets outraged by their responses.

But you weren't there and it did not happen to you so how can you possibly say if some meathead twice your size getting up in your face is funny or intimidating?

I will be honest. I don't find that kind of behaviour funny at all. Meh maybe I have a different view as to what constitutes humour? - I am actually quite glad of that to be honest.

people losing their *kitten* is generally quite funny- and the more trivial the REASON for losing said bag of poop- the more amusing the tantrum is.

not everyone has the same humor- but lots of people are amused by someone elses melt down. that's not new. I can absolutely see how a giant man flipping out over a squat rack is funny. it's like those political characters.

Yes I can see that but getting up in a woman's face wasn't even commented on by the person who I quoted. Surprised me that such a thing is ignored over the apparent humour of it all. I possibly need to lighten up.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    it's the internet- hard to tell- most of it's speculation anyway at this point- I'm still 100% convinced this is not a true story.

I've got a rational response along the lines of ok, that's your side of the story, now let's turn it round and think about the other side of the interaction

I've then got an emotional response, influenced by post history, saying "yeah, that sounds like bollox to me"

Get out of my head.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    mrstrod1 wrote: »
    I think you are going to find judgers in any gym you go to. But you'll also find supporters in any gym too. The object (in my humble opinion) is to learn the difference and surround yourself with the positive influences while blocking out the negative influences. I mean, I'm way overweight and of course I think some people are going to be judging me - especially since I chose to join a crossfit gym where about 80% of the members seem to be under thirty. But I also think there are genuinely caring people who do not judge and offer support instead. I think of those judgers are the type of people who are negative about life in general and not people I would have as friends outside of the gym so why would I care what they do inside the gym?

The thing I always try to remind myself (and this goes for outside the gym too) is that I can only control my actions and reactions. I have no control over anyone else's. So, while I might have to deal with a hater - I don't have to respond with hate or negativity.

I think you have an Awesome attitude and clearly have you heart and head in the right place.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    In all this talk about insecurity, I'm suddenly wondering, isn't 20 lbs overweight the new normal or something?

Yeah. Where I live, 20 lbs overweight is normal. A middle aged woman who is not overweight would stick out more.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gym but I thought the reason for going was to get fit, not because you're already super fit.

I'd ignore that bad experience and carry on with the program.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Wait, do I only get pull-up powers when I'm a super fit meathead?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "Anyway, OP disappeared so we can safely say that she was just here to start poopy."

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
  • Lpaige89
    Lpaige89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sort of skimmed through the comments, but i mean just because 2 people acted poorly doesn't mean all fit people are like that and are judging you. Tbh, your equally judging them..... Being judged sucks, I'm a 27 year old chick with lots of tattoos and when I'm in the gym I'm listening to my music, focused on lifting and not really paying attention to anyone else... but i can easily come across or be mistaken for "intimidating" or unfriendly, but its actually the opposite I'm really shy and warm up to people once i know them. I guess my point is that it sucks to be judged, and it sucks to judge others and sometimes a misunderstanding can lead to wrong impressions.

Personally, i have found alot of the "meatheads" to be really laid back and cool... i mean i want to be fit and get stronger so I'm going to be around people that have what i want and inspire me.

also, different people go at different times, and i really like the regulars that go to my gym first thing in the morning so maybe try a different time if your schedule permits, or if you feel that uncomfortable maybe try something else?

good luck
  • choklityum
    choklityum Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One word: asshats. Gyms exist for everyone to use. Love the t-shirts in an earlier post! And I love that you're wanting to show your kids - and they want to know - how to lift. Sadly, I haven't lifted since high school (I ran track and cross country) and that's pushing 35 years. I avoid gyms for the very reason you ran into to; I'm so sorry your daughter was there to see the *kitten* in action. I'd try it again with your daughter. Hold off on taking your son until you see if the 'roid monsters back off. You were awesome for confronting the asshats - I'd love to have seen that! You go, girl!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    choklityum wrote: »
    One word: asshats. Gyms exist for everyone to use. Love the t-shirts in an earlier post! And I love that you're wanting to show your kids - and they want to know - how to lift. Sadly, I haven't lifted since high school (I ran track and cross country) and that's pushing 35 years. I avoid gyms for the very reason you ran into to; I'm so sorry your daughter was there to see the *kitten* in action. I'd try it again with your daughter. Hold off on taking your son until you see if the 'roid monsters back off. You were awesome for confronting the asshats - I'd love to have seen that! You go, girl!

There is no reason to avoid the gym for incidents like this because even if this did occur as the OP has presented it, which has been questioned quite a bit, this is in no way shape or form even close to the normal behavior in a gym.

I have gone to various gyms over the last 10 - 15 years and never have I ever seen someone shout in someone's face, not only have I never seen it, I have never heard of it happening. By that I mean, the people I go to the gym with have never experienced it either and it's the sort of thing you may speak off when you resting after a set.

Of course, I'm not saying it doesn't happen because there are people out there who are just idiots, but avoiding using a gym for a perception of something which has little to no chance of ever happening to you seems a little bit pointless. You are missing out on a great place to learn and get stronger.

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Even if the encounter happened the way the OP said, it's still pretty unfortunate that she blew it up into "ALL fit people are judging ALL non-fit people at the gym ALL THE TIME" instead of "Omg, look at the two jerks I met today." A lot of people here are intimidated enough by the gym as it is and a thread title like that isn't going to make things any better.

I'm not super-fit so maybe I don't count, but I am reasonably fit; and let me assure you that if I had to take time to individually judge every unfit person at my gym I'd be there all day and still not manage to get my own workout in. The last time I remember paying any amount of attention to someone who was markedly obese, let alone 20 pounds overweight, I was coveting her sparkly purple workout top.

this sums it up perfectly! one bad experience does not mean ALL fit people hate/judge ALL unfit people. clearly the problem here is more with the OP and her thoughts about herself.
  • WeighandPray
    WeighandPray Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was going to comment when I first read this, but now that I've finished my workout, it seems like all that needed to be said has been said. Just remember that when you get consumed with your own body, becoming shallow is a possibility. Maybe you ran into a couple people who were vain and thought themselves better than you. Just get back in shape and you can be there as a "super-fit" person to help those who need some encouragement.