WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    "Oh to be in England
    Now that April's here!"

I was saying that quote to DH as we drove to Selborne yesterday, in beautiful spring sunshine, through the lanes of Hampshire. It's by Robert Browning. Glorious weather, everything budding green and blossoming and the birdsong is the best I've ever heard it! B)<3
    Downside - ants are fighting to get into the house by every crevice! :laugh: Guess Penny doesn't have an ant problem! :D

KJ - I feel your pain as you prepare to leave. <3 Gorgeous!

Karen - I rejoice to see Olivia looking so strong and alert. One of the things I put high in my gratitude list is modern medicine. :D I would have died with the baby I lost if I hadn't been minutes away from a major hospital. We are living in amazing times.

My Portsmouth friend texted me this morning to invite me to tea at her local store. She gets a free offer for her birthday with her store card. I had a light lunch in preparation. :laugh: I always enjoy seeing her. Must remember to take the sunglasses of hers that I had to retrieve from the pub and a tiny present I bought her and forgot last time. :o

Having sea bass for dinner, with Korean paste on it.. Served with skinnytaste.com Baked Eggplant Sticks. Messy to make (I've done them and they're in the fridge) but delicious. Serving them with rouille, but not tooooo much! >:)

Our friend from Colombia is en route to Washington DC, but is currently grounded in Atlanta because of bad weather. Sorry about all the rain etc some of you are having. Hope there are no floods. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,686 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    what a way to start the morning - riding to work, felt extra sluggish. 1/2 there, kirby stold me to stop. my bike had a flat.! he kept going, i walked the bike back home and drove to work. :0( this day is shot
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Re: I'll send many good thoughts that you find your lovely ring. (((hugs)))

pitegny: There were a couple of items on the French Grandmother's List that might be helpful, and some that were definitely hilarious. Thanks for sharing. :laugh:

Sharon in Lethbridge: I'm sorry to hear that you've been in an unpleasant work situation. :flowerforyou:

Sarah: I'm sorry about the loss of your dad. While I was at the cemetery where most of my family is buried to take Mother's Day flowers to Mom & my aunties, I found her mom's grave & gave my grandmother a piece of my mind for the way she treated mom all those years ago. It certainly didn't fix anything but I had my say and it made ME feel like I'd stuck up for mom. I felt better. This grandmother passed away when I was about 2. I'm still sad for my poor mom. She was a surprise late baby. I can't count the number of times she said, "My mother didn't love me." :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Penny: I am so happy to hear what a tight-knit and lovely community you have. :bigsmile:

KJ: Where were the photos of the Long Horn Cattle drive taken? I enjoyed seeing them. :smiley:

We have a rainy day today and I can see a fishing boat out my window. I'm so glad to be warm and cozy in my house rather than sitting in an unheated boat in the cold rain.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy National Teflon Day!

May all of your troubles (and any extra pounds!) slide right off...

Michele - Oh, I sympathize with your shopping challenges! I've tried and tried to train Philip to put things on the shopping list when we're almost out, but he still forgets.

Sarah - Hope you got some sleep and that the rain gave you a break.

Karen - Olivia is looking great! I love her adorable little jumper... "With every blossom comes a bee."

Allie - Sorry to hear about your troubles with your dad and the hassle at Walgreen's. Wishing you a quick resolution to both problems.

Beth - I can't wait to hear how your kimchi comes out!

Becca - Happy happy happy is great news! Glad you and that man have each other.

Ginger - "Hanging baskets!" I sympathize, mine have never been perky, and now... well... a friend refers to this situation as National Geographic boobs. Hoping that if I reach my goal weight I'll at least be able to shop in regular department stores for my bras.

Re - Oh, I do hope your anniversary ring turns up!

Sarah - You have my sympathies. I hope you're able to find peace today.

Kelly - What a great score at the garage sale! I'll bet handsome Joaquin will be getting a kick out of his wagon and bike before you know it.

ChevyChey and any newcomers I missed - Welcome!

Yesterday I used the exercise bike for my workout, but I decided to try it with the interval timer I downloaded for the phone. I got a timer without music, so it just gives cues when it's time to switch intensity so I can still watch TV or read while I'm pedaling. Seemed to work - I sure felt like I'd worked hard by the time I was done! And I had a great weigh-in this morning.

I'm excited about going to the Wendish Museum this Saturday with a bunch of girlfriends. I've probably driven past there a thousand times on my way back and forth to Houston, but never stopped. I'm interested to learn about the Wends and their migration to Texas. We're hoping to see some beautiful Wendish Easter eggs. It's been too long since I got to spend much time (in real space, anyway) with women friends! So I'll plan ahead a little to account for a pre-museum visit to a local barbeque joint and then enjoy it without guilt.

Wishing you all a lovely day.

-Yvonne in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Sometimes I wish I could eat cream and butter. You have a gift with words, and your description of scone, jam & clotted cream gave me a little jolt of dairy envy. :grumble: :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Katla the jealous
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Checking in. Skimmed over 100 posts. Ginger, I need pictures of your organization. It is a hobby if mine as well, but I think I can only aspire to be as organized as you.

• pipcd34
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ginger - brilliant coping strategies. Well done! :flowerforyou:

Katla - Sorry to make you jealous. Clotted cream is THE most fattening food stuff ever! :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends

MicheleNC, for the bowling luncheon are you saying they ate the store bought stuff over your home made goodies? At the Moose some ladies buy things to bring and they are normally what is left over.

Janetr, I was thinking the same thing about missing Gloria. Hugs to both of you.

Gloria, you have your hands full so don’t worry about “giving” to us. Just please come here when you can so you can feel our love and support. There is no way I could be raising children at this age. You are doing great.

Ginger, you are so lucky to have a handy DH. Mine just isn’t and when he does try to do something it is always such an ordeal just trying to find the right tools.

Re, so glad you aren’t retaining “anything” and I think you will be at Onederland before you know it. Goooooooooooooooooo, RE!!!!!!

Penny, that is one interesting place you live. Who would even think about the baptism water freezing. I love all your stories.

Sarah, good grief woman it sounds like you have your hands full. Do take time for yourself.

Lora, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so do come often. What part of WI are you in? We lived in Milwaukee for 10 long, cold years then moved back south.

Susie, welcome. I trust that you are under a doctor’s guidance for that 800 calorie a day diet? Wow that is low. Good luck.

Barbie, so sorry to hear that Jake isn’t well enough to make his weekend trip. I hope you can have a good time.

Mia, you are just beginning and I think you are doing GREAT. Keep it up and it will become a breeze.

Lisa, congrats on the new job.

Cheri, a huge CONGRATS to you. Way to go.

Had severe rain and wind last night but nothing more at our house. Lots worse all around us but by mid-day the sun was shining and it’s like a spring/fall day. A cool air and pretty heavy winds blowing but what a beautiful day it turned out to be. We are still hard at getting things down stairs for the garage sale so I simply don’t have time to catch up. I am thinking of all you lovely ladies and sending good thoughts your way.
    pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Sarah ~ My father was not famous, but, he was well respected in the community, held public offices, and ran several businesses that were very profitable for him and (when he passed) his three sons. We had exactly the same home life that you described. I was always so afraid that someone would know about the fights and physical abuse that resulted. I never invited any one to my home because you never knew what would result. I think the thing that has always bothered me the most was that I loved him dearly. I really think all 5 of us children did. I have come to realize lately that he must have suffered greatly from PTSD after returning from WWII. He was on planes that flew over the Himalayas to deliver cargo supplies to troops. My mom said he almost got sucked out of the plane during one trip. After the war, he refused to fly home and returned by boat.

Carol in GA
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    DJ - DH amazes me with his ability to learn and tackle anything. He would go to the library and read about how to do something - or seek out people who could tell him. He's always been this way even as a child. We had the frame built for our home. Together we finished out the inside... while living in it. I don't recommend that. But we got it done. Now - he raises chickens, geese and ducks. Built a duck pond last year. He has a big vegetable garden. And enjoys wood working projects.

Organtization... I love being organized. It's been a work in progress. One thing that really helped was to write it down. I created a home management binder. Something I resisted doing for years. But one day DH said "I hoe I die before you - because I'll never understand how to pay our bills - or manage Mom's care." And - I thought the same thing - I wouldnt know how to maintain certain things here at home. So... I wrote it down. I need to include a section on how I'm managing Dad's business. But I actually have that all in a spreadsheet that I send to my older brother once a month. It has a list of all the actions we needed to take, important documents and shows bills paid, etc.

--Ginger in Texas
    hhpz73hxenk6.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Sarah, Carol - Oh gosh, I don't know what to say. I just feel very sad for you. <3<3 Sending great big hugs! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Glad you could share it with us.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx