Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited April 2017
    That's the rub, isn't it? That when someone overeats themselves into being enormous, it's not just their own life that's affected. It's their life, their children's lives, the lives of the healthcare workers who have to lift them and risk back injuries that can end their careers, emergency workers who are at increased risk having to help the overweight and obese, and of course their significant others who end up being caretaker to them when they can't bathe themselves, wipe themselves, or even walk anymore.

And it's always avoidable.

Good point. My sister-in-law is a PT.
    She hurt herself trying to catch an overweight patient who was falling.
    Took about a month to recover.

For the record she has said the #1 reason people end up in nursing homes these days is that they are too out of shape to get out of a chair or off the toilet.

Take it a step further and realize that more healthy and fit people in the population end up paying higher insurance premiums to cover the medical costs associated with those who are overweight.

In Japan, overweight people pay a tax to cover the costs to the medical system.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    That's the rub, isn't it? That when someone overeats themselves into being enormous, it's not just their own life that's affected. It's their life, their children's lives, the lives of the healthcare workers who have to lift them and risk back injuries that can end their careers, emergency workers who are at increased risk having to help the overweight and obese, and of course their significant others who end up being caretaker to them when they can't bathe themselves, wipe themselves, or even walk anymore.

And it's always avoidable.

Good point. My sister-in-law is a PT.
    She hurt herself trying to catch a large patient who was falling.
    Took about a month to recover.

For the record she has said the #1 reason people end up in nursing homes is that they are too out of shape to get out of a chair or off the toilet.

The fact that 90 year old bodybuilders, powerlifters and marathon runners exist is all the proof I needed for that last bit.

On a more "normal" level, we have an older guy at work who injured his knee a few years back, had to have surgery and took months to recover. He decided to lose a bunch of weight, and start weight training and got himself in much better shape. However, he ended up suffering a recurrence of the same injury a few months ago. This time, no surgery required and he was healed and back to work within four weeks instead of three months.

Same dude, same injury, years older, better recovery. Yeah, you do the math.

This is an awesome story and testimony.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Golbat wrote: »
    I never said you'd gain 70 pounds. I said some of that weight is the baby, and some is fluids from the pregnancy. There is still a noticeable weight gain, and it can be hard to take off quickly when you are the main caretaker for a baby.

If anything, I'd imagine that being distracted with a baby should leave less time for one of the big contributors to obesity: boredom eating. Hell, when I'm really busy with something (even video games) I can forget to eat for an entire day.

Hahahahahahahahahahah! It does NOT work that way. :noway:

I think every man should be able to have 1 baby...

They wouldn't be saying the ish in this thread that is for sure.

Let's just say that despite working 13+ hours per day, I was primary caretaker of a newborn whenever I was home. I averaged two and a half hours of sleep per day for the first six months of life. I did not get fat; I went the other direction. As mentioned previously, the only part that I don't have direct experience with is the hormones.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    smdevos wrote: »
    My two cents on the pregnancy weight gain issue, though I’m not interested in getting in the middle of a conversation that is clearly spiraling downward.

The toll on the body of pregnancy, childbirth, and recovery while caring for a newborn is hard and real. For me it was the most physically intense and grueling thing I’ve ever done, hands down. Having this experience minimized tends to make women defensive. In no way does this mean women are incapable of gaining only an appropriate amount of weight, or exempt from the laws of thermodynamics. However, I feel it’s appropriate for those who have never experienced it firsthand to admit they may not fully understand how it feels to face these additional challenges. On the other hand, I don’t think saying men know nothing about physical challenges or caring for children is correct or useful either.

No one said that.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    ....and we're back to spears and shields again.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Oh I agree, hence my statement that if you haven't experienced it firsthand maybe you should pause and think about if you can possibly understand it fully.

I primarily gained weight early in my pregnancy, and it was due to morning sickness. As someone said a while back, morning sickness doesn't always mean vomiting. I didn't vomit. I was just constantly severely nauseous and the only thing that helped a little was a physically full stomach. I gained weight because I ate to temporarily relieve the nausea, which was in excess of my modest first trimester calorie needs. Could I have chosen not to? Sure, of course. But I guarantee you someone who hasn't experienced 4 solid months of unrelenting nausea quite gets what that choice felt like.

Exactly this.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Even if no one said those words directly, the attitude toward the men in this thread was dismissive and disrespectful with regards to their presumed understanding of what it is like to have/care for a new baby.

To the point of assuming anyone who disagreed with them is a man.

I didn't assume you were a man. *shrug*
  • smdevos
    smdevos Posts: 15 Member
    It was the least fun way to gain weight ever, the food actually tasted terrible!