Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Everyone gets to have their opinion, but only YOU control your body.

I don't worry too much about my husband blowing up and becoming obese. It's really not his personality. He's fit and active and takes care of himself. Now, due to the "in sickness and in health" clause, I would totally understand if he became ill or disabled and fell out of shape. I get that. But even when disabled, you still have some measure of control.

But him knowingly and willingly letting himself go? After 16 years together, I doubt it would happen, but I would have concerns if it did. And I'd be lying if I said he'd be as attractive if he was obese as he is fit. I'm attracted to shared values, and health and fitness is something I value. So someone who doesn't take care of themselves doesn't share my values. (And that's OK. There are plenty of fish in the sea.) The same goes for me as far as being in shape. I plan on staying fit and in good health for my age as long as I am able to do so. It's as much (probably even more so) for me as it is for him. ;)

I will say that if I thought I was being shamed, criticized, or harassed because my body didn't meet someone else's standards, I'd be done though. That's not OK. It's alright to show legitimate concern, but being controlling and tearing someone down is unacceptable.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    If some chick I was dating got too big,I would tell her that she needs to lose weight, if she doesn't want to, I'll just dump her. Now if your partner was already big or thin to begin with then that means that's what you were attracted to but if they gradually got lazy over time then yeah you need to tell them. If you're not attracted to someone anymore, you might as well try to make them more attractive to you again instead of doing something like cheating on them.

And i presume you'd expect the same treatment if it was you who gained weight?

I would never be that lazy enough to get obese but even if I was, I would expect my partner to give me a wake up call just like I would do to her. Plus it's good for your health and self esteem.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    smdevos wrote: »
    Even if no one said those words directly, the attitude toward the men in this thread was dismissive and disrespectful with regards to their presumed understanding of what it is like to have/care for a new baby.

To the point of assuming anyone who disagreed with them is a man.
    There's not too many options.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    amykay9377 wrote: »
    When it's about appearance, no; when it's about health; yes.

/thread

• SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    a relationship is about honesty.
    A partner has every right to comment on weight gain/loss irrespective of whether its a health concern.

Don't know about the rest of you and although physical attractiveness is high up in the initial part of the relationship and cemented for the rest, it doesn't mean we have turned completely blind - I'd rather voice my concerns to my partner than ogle over other people to get my 2 seconds of lust.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    A partner has every right to comment on weight gain/loss irrespective of whether its a health concern.

Don't know about the rest of you and although physical attractiveness is high up in the initial part of the relationship and cemented for the rest, it doesn't mean we have turned completely blind - I'd rather voice my concerns to my partner than ogle over other people to get my 2 seconds of lust.

Do you mean that you would still be attracted to someone even if they got fat?
  • heiliskrimsli

Would I love them just as much? Ofcourse.
    Will I find them attractive? Really difficult to answer at this moment because it's not an issue.
    Will I tell them they are gaining weight and it is rather noticeable? definitely.
    Will I give them a hard time? no way, thats horrible.

Do you think that there's a point where you would end a relationship over weight gain and if so what would that point be?
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Do you think that there's a point where you would end a relationship over weight gain and if so what would that point be?[/quote]

When it becomes impossible to share the couch.
    [/quote]

LMAO! The struggle is real, couch sharing is clutch!

• DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    If some chick I was dating got too big,I would tell her that she needs to lose weight, if she doesn't want to, I'll just dump her. Now if your partner was already big or thin to begin with then that means that's what you were attracted to but if they gradually got lazy over time then yeah you need to tell them. If you're not attracted to someone anymore, you might as well try to make them more attractive to you again instead of doing something like cheating on them.

And i presume you'd expect the same treatment if it was you who gained weight?

I would never be that lazy enough to get obese but even if I was, I would expect my partner to give me a wake up call just like I would do to her. Plus it's good for your health and self esteem.

Blimey I can only imagine the type of support your giving to the friends you gathered here

Newsflash, I got no one on my friend's list nor do I want anyone on my friend's list.
  • heiliskrimsli

Would I love them just as much? Ofcourse.
    Will I find them attractive? Really difficult to answer at this moment because it's not an issue.
    Will I tell them they are gaining weight and it is rather noticeable? definitely.
    Will I give them a hard time? no way, thats horrible.

Do you think that there's a point where you would end a relationship over weight gain and if so what would that point be?

I really hope not - ive never thought to end the relationship over a little weight gain.
    I'd end it if our paths completely changed and that can be a direct factor of weight gain, such as no longer enjoying hobbies together, different attitudes to life etc. I guess this would be a build up over time before such drastic measures take place.

Ending a loving relationship over a few lbs of weight is abit silly in my humble opinion. You could be throwing away something so special. Each to their own

I think ending a romantic relationship when it's no longer sexually satisfying is very reasonable. If I don't, I'm throwing away the opportunity to be in a fulfilling relationship.
  • runawayray
    runawayray Posts: 9 Member
    My boyfriend of almost 5 years has seen me gain about 46 lbs over that time. When I realized I was going too far in the wrong direction & wanted to do something about it, he was more than supportive. He always found me to be attractive still, but did say that at some point [should I continue to gain weight] that it could adversely affect our relationship. When I started my weight loss journey over a year ago, I would get defeated & almost give in. He would continue to push me back in the right direction [he knows I have a lack of patience]. Now I am back in the groove & down 15 lbs & ready to keep going. Thanks to my S.O., I never gave up. It is OK IMO to have a S.O. make a comment or give an opinion [more so when it is warranted] in a respectful way. It's all about the approach...