Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    My boyfriend is 148 and I am 224 about the same height he's 5'7" I'm 5'6" He's never said anything about my weight but encourages me when I mention getting healthier and tracking food in order to do so. I did not tell him that I was counting calories.

We are polyamorous (I am not my boyfriend's only partner he has another girlfriend and their relationship is more sex-based than ours is) so I know he likes women who are skinnier than I am, and he has made comments about another woman's weight in front of me but never mine and never his other partner's.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My husband tells me all sweet a couple of times a week that is have lost enough and it’s time to stop. I swear he is a goofball because at my highest I was 168 and I’m 156 now so it’s not like I lost a lot. I sweetly tell him back that 150 is my goal and then I’ll be done. He likes thick. I understand that and enjoy that it means I won’t have to get Tiny to make him like looking at me. But I’m also not gonna be uncomfortable in my own skin. We will have to find that line we are both happy with and walk it.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't care about my size. I kind of wish he did, because I'm actually getting resentful that he keeps telling me I'm hot when I feel revolting from regaining so much weight.

@Alatariel75 Maybe you are hot in his eyes. He might have a different definition for HOT. LOL, I tell my daughter she looks sexy when I spot her studying or doing housework (It kinda pisses her off as well). But my point, hot or sexy goes beyond physical attributes sometimes.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    joelrivard wrote: »
    It's a tough subject. When I was married my wife went from 155 to 185 and I loved it. But it's because she's curvy, she has hips and a big booty. I thought she was sexier at her heavy weight. But when she wanted to lose it that's fine too.

But I've dated women who went from curvy to round (just fat) and although we were still great friends I wasn't romantically attracted anymore nor sexually attracted either. You cannot force yourself to feel things you don't.

With that said, when I lose my abs I feel very unattractive and I get back in shape. I feel like it would be super disrespectful to go from in-shape to "soft" while in a relationship and then keep going right to huge belly-fat guy.
    If I just stopped working out and was just sitting around eating crap in front of my partner it would be embarrassing. If I'm going to expect someone to be faithful, expect them to be a caring, sharing partner who gives their time and energy to me and then I'm going to give zero fu@$s about their sexual attractions and weather they want to be with a fat guy or not, then that is being disrespectful and taking advantage of the good things in my life.
    That is the exact opposite of how I want to treat other people. When my need for french fries and soda exceeds my desire to be a good partner then I am a lazy unappreciative person. I'm breaking up with you at that point because there is someone better for you. Why would I purposely die young for food pleasure and hurt someone I care about?

@joelrivard Hmmm, this is an interesting point you make and very insightful, nonetheless. It's also interesting to see how some believe weight is a personal issue, while other's believe it has something to do with respect for their partner. Very interesting.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    VVVeeVee wrote: »
    in a decent, polite way, yes.
    My ex would just blantly tell me I'm getting fat and force me to do excercise.

that's why he's the ex.

Well, there are times when i would have appreciated the bluntness from my ex and i would like someone who got me moving especially if he did it with me! My ex never said anything to me until I was extremely large and had over 100 lbs to lose. It would have been easier if he had shared his distaste for my weight sooner because I care enough about him to be a more pleasing weight and I could have done something before it was a huge mountain to climb! I honestly didn't think he cared.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    nadler64 wrote: »

My mom's entire side of the family has a huge history of diabetes, heart attack, and stroke. Some of it, I acknowledge, is genetic predisposition - I have to work REALLY HARD to keep the weight off while my husband can skip one meal and lose 5 pounds, I swear - but most of it is self-imposed. I've seen the fallout of their health issues- divorce, substance abuse, bankruptcy, torched relationships. I DO NOT want to be the burden to my beloved husband and/or children that my mom became to me. I will do everything in my power to prevent that for as long as I can.

That's why I want to lose weight. I have become a burden and I don't like that. It is wrong and disgusting. I was on meds that helped me along in the weight gain though and I couldn't get a handle on the weight loss while on it. Now I'm off and lost 34 lbs so far with a long way to go.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 148 and I am 224 about the same height he's 5'7" I'm 5'6" He's never said anything about my weight but encourages me when I mention getting healthier and tracking food in order to do so. I did not tell him that I was counting calories.

We are polyamorous (I am not my boyfriend's only partner he has another girlfriend and their relationship is more sex-based than ours is) so I know he likes women who are skinnier than I am, and he has made comments about another woman's weight in front of me but never mine and never his other partner's.

I have so many questions now
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

I have so many questions now

Me as well.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't know since I'm single all the time. But I do know that it's good to please your partner but I don't think you should go to unhealthy lengths to please them like starving yourself and getting surgeries and procedures.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Dad bod??? I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit :s
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Dad bod??? I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit :s

LMAO!