Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Just for the record for 30+ years I have from time to time asked does this make me look fat or my butt look too big. He always answers with "his" truth. Sometimes it was a yes and others it was a no. I appreciated him being honest.

BUT if it was an outfit I really really liked I would not ask incase the answer was yes lol.

I remember my cousin took an ID picture. Her face covered the whole square of the picture. She did look like she gained a lot of weight. She said to her husband....."Gosh, do I really look this fat in this picture?" In the nicest sweetest tone he said "yes". No more, no less. She ran off crying, called all of her friends saying that he called her fat and other men in the streets think she is attractive and her husband, the one she loves thinks she is fat....I mean it went on and on and on. She even took it to social media and made it sound so horrible that everyone told her to leave her husband, etc. And her husband was one of the best things that happened to her. If I wasn't there I would have believed her, that's how convincing she was. i witnessed this....He only said, "Yes" to a question she asked him. Furthermore....she thought she looked fat herself. Why can she think she looks fat, but he can't be honest WHEN HE IS ASKED?

Did you talk to her about it?! What ended up happening?? I was mad on his behalf reading your story. Lol!
  • 1beetleboy
    1beetleboy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's important to not that people struggling with there weight already know they have a problem why be hurtful by starting the conversation? They also understand the health risk (who doesn't). I have experienced people not that close to me stating I should lose some weight. My answer is I know I am over weight, I would like to lose 30 lbs and when I do you know what happens? Answer, your mouth will still be the same size. ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have both been thin at times (in our 20s and currently in our mid 50s for nearly five years. Also in our late 30s). We've also both been obese before. Most of what we've said has all been out of concern for each other's health. I will say, when one person takes health/weight more serious and does something about it, it's so much easier for the other one to do the same. I've also been too thin. When I lost my weight (and went from 245 to 170), my wife didn't like my new physique. Perhaps it's because she lost her weight slower or perhaps my weightlifting hadn't added back in muscle (yet) to replace the fat. Either way, I did listen to her because I respect and love her and added in around 15 lbs of muscle over 4 or 5 years.

She's gained a bit of weight back with some recent health issues but she tries and does what she can. Any spouse that would criticize that is not worth sticking with. Everyone has more challenges at times.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have both been thin at times (in our 20s and currently in our mid 50s for nearly five years. Also in our late 30s). We've also both been obese before. Most of what we've said has all been out of concern for each other's health. I will say, when one person takes health/weight more serious and does something about it, it's so much easier for the other one to do the same. I've also been too thin. When I lost my weight (and went from 245 to 170), my wife didn't like my new physique. Perhaps it's because she lost her weight slower or perhaps my weightlifting hadn't added back in muscle (yet) to replace the fat. Either way, I did listen to her because I respect and love her and added in around 15 lbs of muscle over 4 or 5 years.

She's gained a bit of weight back with some recent health issues but she tries and does what she can. Any spouse that would criticize that is not worth sticking with. Everyone has more challenges at times.

I don't know why I especially like this...I think its because it is coming from a man's perspective. I tend to believe that women are more accommodating to men than men are to women. So it's kind of refreshing hearing you men sticking around when your mates/spouse weight goes up and down!!!
  • dea131313
    dea131313 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No! if he or she has a perfect body and health, Maybe....... I find it funny at my age now when I see guys from school etc that always bullied the heavy girls, now in their 50's etc they are fat and bald, and most divorced.... so love the person 1st, show respect always ... then you can approach the issue without hurting anyone.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    dea131313 wrote: »
    No! if he or she has a perfect body and health, Maybe....... I find it funny at my age now when I see guys from school etc that always bullied the heavy girls, now in their 50's etc they are fat and bald, and most divorced.... so love the person 1st, show respect always ... then you can approach the issue without hurting anyone.

I have a couple of friends that said that they would never gain weight (and was real snarky with it) and often joked and made fun of over weight people when we were in our early 20's... Now they are older and round and having challenges with losing weight as well.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    dea131313 wrote: »

I have a couple of friends that said that they would never gain weight (and was real snarky with it) and often joked and made fun of over weight people when we were in our early 20's... Now they are older and round and having challenges with losing weight as well.

This highlights the need for CICO awareness and the absolute necessity of budgeting simply for awareness. It is normal for activity to decline with age. If you do not adjust your calories appropriately gaining weight is inevitable.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was just wondering how people would feel if the situations were reversed. I'm on the side of "of course they should have a say," but I wonder how I'd feel if I were overweight and my spouse told me that they found me less attractive because of the weight. And at the same time, I wonder how people who are on the side of "they should love me no matter what" (which isn't really the question here...) or "no, they shouldn't have a say" would feel if their partner was overweight to the point that they weren't as attracted to them anymore? Would they now feel that they do have a right to say something?

Would we feel differently, or the same?
    I have mixed feelings about "SO", but that term can vary so widely from dude I just met a week ago to commonlaw spouse, so I am not going to comment on it at all.

As for spouses, yes. It is important to accept changes in your partner and realize they will not look the same forever. I also feel if you have made an agreement to go through life together as a team, so you should both uphold your end of that bargain and try not to bring extra issues upon yourselves. To me that includes looking after your own and each others health. Obviously, there are certain things that will always be outside our control and you just have to take those as they come, but I feel it would be incredibly unfair to my husband to eat myself to 500lbs and require him to help take care of me as I lose mobility and welcome all sorts of health issues. I think there is a point where it is ok to say this is unfair to our marriage and family.

This is my response from many pages ago, so I guess I kinda looked at it from a "how would I feel if it were me" place to begin with.

I feel its fair for my partner to speak up and I feel it would be fair for me to speak up. Of note here though: hubs and I are both pretty similar in temperament. I am a little bit touchier than he is, but largely we both are the kinda people who can roll with the punches. It might be a whole other story for other people in other relationships.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering how people would feel if the situations were reversed. I'm on the side of "of course they should have a say," but I wonder how I'd feel if I were overweight and my spouse told me that they found me less attractive because of the weight. And at the same time, I wonder how people who are on the side of "they should love me no matter what" (which isn't really the question here...) or "no, they shouldn't have a say" would feel if their partner was overweight to the point that they weren't as attracted to them anymore? Would they now feel that they do have a right to say something?

I am firmly on team "yes, they should have a say". I would be hurt to know my husband wasn't attracted to me anymore, but I'd also be hurt to find that my weight was the only thing he finds/found attractive. What a sad relationship that would be.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

I am firmly on team "yes, they should have a say". I would be hurt to know my husband wasn't attracted to me anymore, but I'd also be hurt to find that my weight was the only thing he finds/found attractive. What a sad relationship that would be.

Just to add to that idea - I would find this hurtful as well, but I would hope we would have "the talk" before it even got that far. More of a "Not sure things are headed in the right direction" talk instead of a "we are in trouble" talk.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea what to say. I've been significantly overweight and he was still attracted to me.
    If he was significantly overweight, I am not sure if I'd be attracted to him. I like to think yes, but I'm just not certain I would be. One thing is for sure, I would never want to hurt him. I would want to help him and motivate him to change his lifestyle, but not by holding my love and attraction as the prize to attain.

It would have broken my heart if he had ever told me that he wasn't attracted to me because of my weight. I know it's not something we as humans can necessarily help - we are attracted (or not) to certain bodies and it's not always in our conscious control. But I also don't know if I could have gotten over it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I would want to know.

How does one become sensitive? One become sensitive through neglect. If something is used and interacted with it is hardened, strengthened, and well developed. Sensitive issues wouldn't be an issue if we were better communicators and brought these issues up early and often. Strong relationships require effort and will wither and die if neglected.

I see this as a root cause for much of our problems. We don't discuss issues directly as we did a generation ago due to convenient distractions provided by technology and social media. We are quickly losing the ability to effectively communicate in an intellectual and empathetic manner.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Just to add to that idea - I would find this hurtful as well, but I would hope we would have "the talk" before it even got that far. More of a "Not sure things are headed in the right direction" talk instead of a "we are in trouble" talk.

Honestly I'd be hurt to find that looks was more than a small factor in the attractiveness at all.

I'm not sure I feel the same way. I think looks play a big part in what you find attractive (for me, anyways). Obviously when you're in love with someone there are other things that you will find attractive besides looks, like their sense of humour, their kindness, etc., but at the same time when my husband gets naked I'm not thinking about those things - I'm thinking more about the fact that he looks goooooood lol

Yeah? Maybe I was like that when I was younger, though I don't really think so. All I'm thinking about at the point is the feelings (emotional and physical).
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

Honestly I'd be hurt to find that looks was more than a small factor in the attractiveness at all.

I hear ya. I am not even really sure anymore.

Early in a relationship it is pretty much all about looks and general impressions (this is assuming it's someone you are just meeting, not some old friend you finally decided to date or something). Things grow over time, and 7 years later we have built quite a bit together. I think there is alot more to it than looks now, but I think it is still an important factor for us; probably more-so for my husband than me. I tend to think men are just more visual than women, but its a hard thing to comment on with any certainty since I am a woman (this is where reincarnation and getting to experience being different things [and remembering it] would be pretty useful). It doesn't bother me though to think looks are an important part of our relationship. It was one of the first layers, and we have built many more on top of it but it is still there.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

I'm not sure I feel the same way. I think looks play a big part in what you find attractive (for me, anyways). Obviously when you're in love with someone there are other things that you will find attractive besides looks, like their sense of humour, their kindness, etc., but at the same time when my husband gets naked I'm not thinking about those things - I'm thinking more about the fact that he looks goooooood lol

and of coarse there is truth in this ;)