Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I was just wondering how people would feel if the situations were reversed. I'm on the side of "of course they should have a say," but I wonder how I'd feel if I were overweight and my spouse told me that they found me less attractive because of the weight. And at the same time, I wonder how people who are on the side of "they should love me no matter what" (which isn't really the question here...) or "no, they shouldn't have a say" would feel if their partner was overweight to the point that they weren't as attracted to them anymore? Would they now feel that they do have a right to say something?

Would we feel differently, or the same?

I would want to know.

How does one become sensitive? One become sensitive through neglect. If something is used and interacted with it is hardened, strengthened, and well developed. Sensitive issues wouldn't be an issue if we were better communicators and brought these issues up early and often. Strong relationships require effort and will wither and die if neglected.

This is kind of profound. I've never thought about it in exactly those terms, but it makes a lot of sense.
    I see this as a root cause for much of our problems. We don't discuss issues directly as we did a generation ago due to convenient distractions provided by technology and social media. We are quickly losing the ability to effectively communicate in an intellectual and empathetic manner.

I don't necessarily think we're any worse at communicating now than in generations past, the mechanisms are just slightly different. There were plenty of loveless marriages 'for the children' back in the day where Mom and Dad barely spoke and did little more than present the veneer of a happy family; divorce was just less socially acceptable and therefore far less common.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think it all comes down to the peril of getting too comfortable in certain situations in your life, whether it is with a partner, friends, neighbors, employers, etc. We have all lapsed into comfort zones in areas of our lives where we didn't try because we were so secure that we felt we didn't need to try and we took situations and relationships for granted.

So if the weight gain is a symptom of taking the other person's attraction and the security of the relationship for granted (as opposed to something medical, babies, or aging related), I think it is perfectly reasonable for their partner to address this as tactfully as possible.
  • lorri71
    lorri71 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My husband never comments on me being fat he is more concerned that I am loosing my curves if I diet. In his words ' your bum is going'. He likes a curvy woman. If I asked him if I am getting fat he would be honest and not say it in a way to hurt me. I trust his honesty. I think my sensitivity about my weight comes from being a chubby child and being bullied about my weight at school. Its hard to forget bad events but possible to move on and love yourself. My desire to stay trim now is to stay fit and healthy rather than be a starved unhealthy skelleton.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    dea131313 wrote: »
    No! if he or she has a perfect body and health, Maybe....... I find it funny at my age now when I see guys from school etc that always bullied the heavy girls, now in their 50's etc they are fat and bald, and most divorced.... so love the person 1st, show respect always ... then you can approach the issue without hurting anyone.

I have a couple of friends that said that they would never gain weight (and was real snarky with it) and often joked and made fun of over weight people when we were in our early 20's... Now they are older and round and having challenges with losing weight as well.

This highlights the need for CICO awareness and the absolute necessity of budgeting simply for awareness. It is normal for activity to decline with age. If you do not adjust your calories appropriately gaining weight is inevitable.

Yes, this is so true. I'm surprised this type of information isn't shared at doctor's visits and what not.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    dea131313 wrote: »
    No! if he or she has a perfect body and health, Maybe....... I find it funny at my age now when I see guys from school etc that always bullied the heavy girls, now in their 50's etc they are fat and bald, and most divorced.... so love the person 1st, show respect always ... then you can approach the issue without hurting anyone.

I have a couple of friends that said that they would never gain weight (and was real snarky with it) and often joked and made fun of over weight people when we were in our early 20's... Now they are older and round and having challenges with losing weight as well.

This highlights the need for CICO awareness and the absolute necessity of budgeting simply for awareness. It is normal for activity to decline with age. If you do not adjust your calories appropriately gaining weight is inevitable.

Yes, this is so true. I'm surprised this type of information isn't shared at doctor's visits and what not.

Most medical professionals are not aware and believe that your metabolism slow significantly with age, which is patently false.
  • stephenlouisr
    stephenlouisr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have no problem bring told I'm going up or down in weight as long as it's true :)

But really they are stating the obvious by the time it is noticeable. The "why" is more important.
  • gracegettingittogether
    Options
    Well, my husband has never said he wasn't attracted to me, after gaining weight, but I know that his attraction has declined significantly. I did ask him a couple times and he would always say that he would be happy if I lost weight. But I was the one asking. We got married when I was my thinnest and while I did warn him I probably would gain weight with kids, it remains the fact that he was obviously attracted to the thinner me and that's what he married.
    I used to feel hurt, until I realized it's not one's fault what one is attracted to. Plus he is an extremely loyal husband and has never commented negatively on his own. He only answered when I asked him. And he's been very supportive in me losing weight and becoming more healthy. I think me not taking care of myself was really off putting, as I've only lost 20 lbs of 75, and he's already saying how much I've lost, in a good way.
    On the other hand, he also gained weight though not nearly as much as me, and it didn't affect my attraction to him one bit.
    I guess it just depends on the marriage.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much weight we're talking about. 10-20 vanity pounds? I probably wouldn't bring it up. But if it's enough weight that it is damaging their health or making it difficult to do activities that you used to enjoy together (hiking, playing with the kids, etc.) then I think its okay to talk about because it's no longer just aesthetics. The conversation might still be very painful, but it's about more important things than attraction at that point.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    I think it depends on how much weight we're talking about. 10-20 vanity pounds? I probably wouldn't bring it up. But if it's enough weight that it is damaging their health or making it difficult to do activities that you used to enjoy together (hiking, playing with the kids, etc.) then I think its okay to talk about because it's no longer just aesthetics. The conversation might still be very painful, but it's about more important things than attraction at that point.

This is a good point - Vanity pounds - I don't think I need the serious sit down I'm leaving you if you don't get your shyt together talk. And I know 'gaining weight' is relative 10 - 20 lbs to someone might be an enormous amount.... But when health comes in to play and your relationship/marriage is on the line because of the weight gain, I think a conversation need to be had coming from a place of love and concern.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Also I initially created this post because I see often that a random poster will state that their S.O. wants them to lose weight and posters will advise the OP to leave and comment with "if he doesn't love you for you LEAVE" and I disagree, I think important topics, including weight issues, should be discussed and I don't necessarily think that's a reason to leave. Now if they are ridiculous and superficial - YES!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    @heiliskrimsli A lot has been mentioned about SO being overweight/obese and I'm wondering if you (and others who feel the same) would be leaving your SO if they became underweight?

If they were so underweight that it became unattractive and killed the sex life and the relationship, sure.

I've just never actually been in the situation where weight loss was the problem. Previous experience has been with people who gained weight.

What you're essentially asking is if I'd be in a relationship with someone I did not find attractive and the answer to that is unequivocally "No."

There are people who I have in my life, who I care about, who are not related to me and who I'm not sexually attracted to or having sex with. Those people are called friends. They are not candidates for a romantic relationship.

Not to pick on you specifically, just that your post is the first one to catch my eye, for phrasing my question.

Assuming you have been in a steady relationship with someone for a few years, most people don't just get fat for no reason. For someone who was fit before, there is usually either a major lifestyle change or a physical/mental disability that appears ot is exacerbated over time. Would that have any bearing on your decision? Someone who was doung a physical job, and is now stuck in ine where he is seated at a desk,and has crappy hoursso would have to choose between gym or family maybe? Or is hit with lowered testosterone, but can't afford the $100 month meds to take care if it, because he is trying to help keep a roof over your head and that of your children? Or just developed serious pain issues that make of impossible to work out at the level they were used to. Or have some unknown issue, but are constantly exhausted, and the Dr.s you can afford on your *kitten* insurance aren't really much help? If you can see that the one you love is exhausted and sore, are you going to hound tnem over thier appearance? Is that going to make you stop being in love with them? If it turns out that there are some things they just CAN'T fix, are you going to decide they are no longer worth it, because they aren't physically attractive anymore?
    I'm going to assume the answer is no, but if it's yes then you probably weren't in love with the person in the first place. Just in love with the way the person made you feel, which is ok as lonf as you are both aware of it, but is more self love than true love.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    If there is a lifestyle change/choice (not by mutual choice - such as having kids, or a health related issue) that is causing a change in weight, then a frank but loving conversation is perfectly okay.

My ex couldn't muster that up when I started to put on a few pounds (we're talking 10-25 pounds, not 100), but I could tell he was losing all his attraction. That would have been one thing, except for the simple fact that he, too, had put on a fair bit of fat, and wasn't doing anything to combat his recomped (the bad way) body. That didn't really bother me, but I could tell he didn't like looking at me the same way anymore.

I kept trying to get to the gym, asking for his support/working out a "workout together" schedule - he wouldn't have anything to do with it. He'd go to the gym if and when he felt like it, and flat out told me it was up to me to do it myself (which, technically speaking it is, but you can see the underlying issues here).

He's an ex for a reason though.

I would have much preferred a frank conversation and a discussion on what we could do "as a team" to help us BOTH improve (or just some honesty).
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    mikeb4bjj wrote: »
    Short answer is yes. You owe it to your spouse to make an effort to remain attractive. Time makes this impossible in the long term, but you have to do what is in your power to do.

Same thing with respect to health. If you are 300 lbs, your spouse has every right to worry about your health.

um- no- I don't owe it to anyone to "remain" attractive.

What in the 7th hells is this? no. just. no- no one owes anyone the curtesy of "being pretty" for them. GTFO with that nonsense.

@JoRocka *Snap Snap... You said that.