Products of Interest: CANADIAN Edition

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Wow. Did they fix the labeling?
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    I found a box of SimplyProtein Bars at Costco. (~150 calories with ~15 g of protein, depending on flavour). They also have a good selection of SimplyProtein bars and chips at Bulk Barn. (They are expensive there, but I bought one of each to try different flavours before I order them from the website.)

I’ll second the Simply bars from Costco. Amazing prices for the bars and the lemon coconut one tastes a lot like Rice Krispie bars but with more protein and hardly any sugar.

Also a big fan of the Larabars. Simple ingredients and taste great.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Anyone know if Halo Top is actually coming to Canada, or if it’s just a Toronto thing?

Saw somewhere online that someone in Toronto already found some and it’s $9.99 for a pint. That is way too expensive for me if that’s how much they will actually be selling it for.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Anyone know if Halo Top is actually coming to Canada, or if it’s just a Toronto thing?

Saw somewhere online that someone in Toronto already found some and it’s $9.99 for a pint. That is way too expensive for me if that’s how much they will actually be selling it for.

that is ridiculous if that is the cost...cool whey is regular 7.99 but goes on sale for 4.99 - I can't imagine Halo Top selling much unless they had similar pricing.
  • crabbybrianna
    o4lh1marby401.jpg
    Found this info on reddit, btw. $9.99. Crazy! Maybe if some larger stores like Loblaws or Walmart carry it they’ll be able to charge less.
  • Muscleflex79
    o4lh1marby401.jpg
    Found this info on reddit, btw. $9.99. Crazy! Maybe if some larger stores like Loblaws or Walmart carry it they’ll be able to charge less.

that was back in december though - guessing they were somehow importing it and selling it? hopefully when they come to Canada officially it won't be like that.
  • crabbybrianna
    o4lh1marby401.jpg

that was back in december though - guessing they were somehow importing it and selling it? hopefully when they come to Canada officially it won't be like that.

Yeah, just realized it was imported. I looked around online to see if it will be coming to Alberta and the stores it will be in are Metro Ontario, some Loblaw stores, Co-op, Whole Foods, and Save on Foods, so it looks like it will be everywhere in March.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    So excited! I really want to try this stuff... I hope it does come to Alberta! (And that it's not ten bucks a pint...)
  • crabbybrianna
    It does say it’s coming to Co-op, and that’s great because we have those in Alberta and there’s one 5 minutes from my house, but they’re not known for having low prices. I’m hoping that one of the Loblaws stores that carries it is Superstore. That would be the best place to get it I think.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know, Metro has the ice cream on sale this week at $3.99 which is a hell of a deal.

pint-coco2-420x343-420x343.png

What does it taste like?
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    We have recently gotten into the frozen rainbow trout at Costco. The fillets are thin so they defrost quickly, and they are absolutely delicious. The brand that we bought was Aqua Star. From the web they have a rainbow trout "portions" that are caught in Canada, but Aqua Star trout comes from lakes in Peru.

My husband and I LOVE the rainbow trout from Costco!

• Muscleflex79
    Just to let you guys know, Metro has the ice cream on sale this week at $3.99 which is a hell of a deal.

shhhhhh....I'm heading there today to stock up and hoping they aren't cleared out yet!
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    cjv73 wrote: »
    Just discovered the Chapman's line of No Sugar Added lactose-free ice cream! I don't need the lactose-free part, but the no sugar added means that I can have a whole cup of Butter Pecan for just 4 net carbs!! Or Dutch Chocolate for just 8 net carbs! And they taste delicious, just like the creamy "real" thing!

I must look for this. We are limited to stores here on PEI. Our most local is the Co-op
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2018

just walked and bought salted caramel. glad i didnt buy 2. ate it all xD bit watery but yummy
  • miklverdun
    miklverdun Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the heads up. Couldn't find the coconut but got the chocolate chip. Will try it tonight!!
  • Muscleflex79
    metro I went to had only one chocolate chip left :-(
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member

making me wish i got the chocolate chip. was only chocolate chip and salted caramel..maybe 10-15of them where i went. At 600 calories a mini tub and knowing id eat it all, Glad i didnt but may need to try later in the week ;p 45 minute walk to and 45 mins back from the store, Semi earned. Yum
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    edited February 2018
    I have tried all the flavours and didn't really care for any of them, nor did my kids, to be honest, and they're not fussy eaters. I found them very icy and not creamy, not really ice-creamy enough. But the Chapman's No Sugar Added lactose-free free stuff I mentioned a while ago is fantastic, totally creamy. It's low carb buy not as low calorie as the Cool Whey. But a 1L tub of Dutch Chocolate, for instance, is still only 960 calories, that's not crazy more than Cool Whey. And even better, the sugar alcohols will encourage you to eat only a cup or two at a time (or you'll get gassy!), so that will curb the calories. :D
  • Foodfavor
    Foodfavor Posts: 94 Member
    Sorry in advance for the wall of text. I really want to try the Blackfly drinks but do not think that 100cal per drink seems right. I was sent this letter when I asked about calories...

"Black Fly RTDs are less sweet than typical RTDs and contain significantly less sugar. For example: Black Fly Vodka Cranberry contains just 4 g/100mL, Long Island Iced Tea, Vodka Sour Grape, Rum Punch, Vodka Citrus and Whisky Sour all contain just 6 g/100mL. With regards to calories per bottle/can, it is important to note that the majority of the calories in Black Fly come from the spirit (vodka, tequila, rum, gin or whisky), not juice, sugar or any other ingredient independently or combined. Black Fly RTDs contain no calories from fat or protein.

With our larger bottles at 400mL in Canada and 375 mL in the U.S., we offer approximately 20% more volume than most other brands. At 7% alc./vol. (compared to most RTDs at 5% alc./vol.) this means a bottle of Black Fly contains significantly more booze at roughly 2.2 drinks standard drinks per bottle. That’s 8.8 standard drinks per four-pack of Black Fly compared to the “other guys” 4.8 standard drinks for a 4-pack of 330 mL bottles at 5% alc./vol.

Black Fly uses quality ingredients including real juices and real cane sugar rather than artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup. There is NO GLUTEN in any Black Fly drinks, no caffeine, and no artificial sweeteners."

With this info we can guess 2.2 x alcohol content per shot and then add the calories for 24g of cane sugar. Does this seem right?

2.2 x 97 (40% vodka) = 213.4
    24g cane sugar = 90 calories
    Estimated total for 1 400ml vodka drink = 303.4 cal
  • Muscleflex79
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

making me wish i got the chocolate chip. was only chocolate chip and salted caramel..maybe 10-15of them where i went. At 600 calories a mini tub and knowing id eat it all, Glad i didnt but may need to try later in the week ;p 45 minute walk to and 45 mins back from the store, Semi earned. Yum

I think the chocolate chip is amazing tasting - caramel and vanilla are ok (have never seen the coconut in stores), but the chocolate chip is life!