WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Cheri in College Station TX: Congratulations on your weight loss. WTG!!!!! :bigsmile:
    Cheri: I love your photos with your DH. The two of you are a cute couple. :bigsmile:
    "So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

Thanks!!
  • csofled
    Options
    570051qy79avd6sm.gif

Birthday wishes to those celebrating!!!

Cheri
    a January baby in College Station, TX
  • csofled
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Yvonne!

Someone (I think Kim) mentioned that Bolthouse Yogurt dressing was good. I bought the ranch and it is delicious.

PIP ~ Why are you pooped?

It is delicious. Located in the refrigerated section by produce. A bit pricey but worth it in taste and nutritional value.

bolthouse.com/products/dressings

Cheri
  • csofled
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Cheri: You the hubs make a darling couple.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Thank you Rori! Feel better soon!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,740 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Vicki – Step-daughter took my DMnL’s wedding band; even though it was listed in an addendum to her Will to come to me; she scratched though the list and put her name beside the things she wanted. But, at least I got her antique china cabinet and ladies’ writing table. I think if she had taken those two things, I would have really made a ‘stink’. Wrote her a week ago and asked if she would send some of the pictures of Louis, Mike, and their parents; but, did not expect for her to respond. Just a try; last time I will ever contact her about ANYTHING! Even if her Daddy gets sick or passes away. She can learn it some other way. Greedy B*****!

It’s been so hot here without any A/C for 3 days I have sleep nude or with practically nothing on. Sure hope the A/C man calls and comes today to check the unit. Not really prepared if he tells us we need a ‘new’ one. He’s been out-of-town because his mother and sister were involved in a bad wreck out-of-state.

Dana – Funny picture! I can remember Jamie Foxx dressing in drag and how funny he was. I enjoy his comedic acts and watching him in movies and TV shows.

I have a green ‘bloodstone’ and have always wanted to have it set into a ring. I have an idea of what I want it to look like; it is sort of a triangular shape; but, smooth and rounded all the way around. There is a jeweler in town that designs rings; but, have no idea of how much it would cost. I have some ‘gold’ rings that I no longer wear; that I could probably had at least some to make up the gold that would have to go into this ring. In fact, I have a ring that my mother had made for herself that looks like a piece of brain coral. That ring along would probably be enough gold to make the design that I have an idea of making. I am not sure that the stone could be cut; I have heard that it is considered a ‘soft’ stone. I wish I could make even simple bead bracelets that would stay together. But, once I take them on and off a while, they all break.

We lived in a small town growing up and had an ‘operator’ by the name of “Helen”. Whenever my Dad got a call, she would not totally disconnect the connection and many times I would hear my Dad say, “Get the HELL off the phone, Helen!” He would not allow his clients to start talking until she did; but, with party-lines it wasn’t too difficult to find out what was going on in town. My Dad was one of the first people to get a private line, along with all of the doctors in town. You could go to the beauty shop and find out everything there, too. Found out one Saturday that a boy I had dated a little in HS had been ‘killed in a auto accident’ the night before. I don’t remember what happened; but, he probably swerved to miss a deer – it was a 1-car accident. My BF and I would sneak into her office and sit in front of her counter so she could not see us and listen to her listening in on conversation and then calling others with the gossip she heard. We could shimmy through the cracked door that would not sound off the bell that was attached to it. After 15 or 20 minutes or so, we’d sneak back out.

Sorry that your Mom is not talking to you; are you attempting any communication with her? Who does she live with now?

LOL! If you want to ‘talk’ politics, make me a friend and send me a PM! That way we can talk about anything and it not be on this site. Too many people from all around the world who have a lot going on in their countries that we don’t understand and they don’t understand about us, either. Wars have been ongoing for as many years as this earth has been here – thanks to an ‘apple’ and a ‘snake’.

Becca – Looks like you do the same thing I do – Looking in magazines or online for interesting ideas for decorating. Unfortunately, DH – I think drew up the plans to our house so that I would never be able to play ‘musical’ furniture at all! Our MBR is small, the closet juts out into the room (because when we looked at the plans after the house was framed up and the builder asked if we had other plans of storing clothes. We barely have room for the 3 pieces of furniture in it. But, I wasn’t looking for a big room anyway. The MBR bath is shared with the common area; we have a ½ bath but the toilet in it has a leak from the tank. I am beginning to think that the toilet will be at the bottom of my DH’s freaking, “We need to get this List.” Neither seem to be very high on his list of priorities. SO, as long as he won’t get the door and have it hung up; I am buying myself a plant every month. I hope the lady who has ‘orchid’ in her name will give me some pointers on keeping them alive and blooming. The first one I got has bloomed and I am ecstatic!!!!

Helen – Stop looking at it as having to lose 49 pounds in a year; set smaller goals, like 10lbs and don’t worry about the time. One thing you need to learn is that you should be losing it slowly by your approach to food and exercise (and a lot of water). One thing I did was when I ‘lost’ some weight; 5 or 10 pounds; I would pick up an object (such as sugar in a bag) and feel how ‘heavy’ it was and think, “Oh Gee, I was carrying this around on my body’ and do a happy dance! I know by the time I lost 40lbs; I could not pick up a 40lb bad of potting soil … at all! To think that had been on my body and I was toting it around made me feel a whole lot better about myself, for sure! I still have 10-15lbs to go; and, my goal is to get my BMI to a ‘normal’ number for me so that I won’t have ‘overweight’ in my doctors’ charts. At least I am no longer ‘obese’ or ‘mildly obese’.
    It’s taken me two years to lose 40lbs; but, I did a lot of yo-yoing during that time; now that I am within 15 or 20 lbs. of my goal, I am finding it to be harder. Have to up my protein and also my exercise. Today I think I am going to walk outside, it isn’t any hotter outside than inside (until the A/C man comes). I just don’t want to miss his call by being outside … I will walk on the treadmill and walk outside after I hear from him.

Machka – My DDnL#1 had DVT after her last baby was born; and, had to stay on a blood thinner for at least a year. DOS had a vasectomy; then had to have a 2nd one because he still had too much sperm (the 2nd one was a ‘freebie’). She is very heavy at 5’9” and has 2 hernias; one bothers her, gives her pain; but, it’s in her groin; but, the MDs thinks the one in her belly is the one she needs to have repaired. She did not even know she had it. They still owe $250 towards paying the deductible for her to be able to have the operation.

Lisa – I don’t think in any of my jobs, I was ‘ever’ bored. Always something different every day! Dealt with so many people on so many levels. And, my boss was a wonderful man, too! But, when he was in practice as an Associate, I was deathly afraid of the 2 partners; but, that got easier once the big partner’s secretary stopped riding my @$$. She did it for her last time, when she did it in front of him. He called me into his office and turned and pulled out a copy of a letter she had sent out (just a one paragraph letter) and it had 7 mistakes in it (including his name). He told me that I did not have to take orders from anybody other than Richard. It felt good the first time she came in my office bitching about something and I told her that I did not ‘work’ for her, if she had a problem, she needed to talk to Richard about it – and he told her off, too. She got fired shortly after that, for good! She had gotten fired and come back to work about 5 times prior to that (would walk back in as if she was walking in from lunch).

I’m not sure I really agree with the fines not being high, as ‘if’ my son and DDnL#1 had not been able to get insurance through her job; their fines would be $1900 a PIECE for this past filing period! When 'open season' rolls back around in October (if she is still where she is) she will change her plan. The one she has now, they have to pay the deductive ‘up front’ before the MD will even see them.

I agree with you - just because a ‘new’ piece of legislature gets past one House, doesn’t mean it will get past Congress in order to be ‘signed into law’ by the POTUS. But, at this point I am SICK of politics and politicians – they all speak with forked tongues and everybody is out to pad their pockets. Just wish the whiners would shut the “kitten” up (on both sides of the aisle). About the only thing one in our position can do is ‘pray’ … for our country, for the men and women in service, for our families, and stop worrying about something that is ‘out of our control’. Like having The Serenity Prayer hanging up in front of you. “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and, wisdom to know the difference.
    I just hope that we are not ‘facing’ another “Civil War” that will divide us so much that we ‘fight’ our siblings or parents like in the first one. The bloodiest war of all times. It has put a few cracks in my family insofar as amongst the sisters. We just ‘agree to disagree’ and not to bring up the subject of politics or religion. Unfortunately, for all of us, my DBnL will start a conversation, get it heated up and then pull out of it and watch others argue. We just have to do something to change the atmosphere. Play dominoes or 8-1-8 (or take a nap), go to the beach, or sit on the porch and chill.

When my oldest sister was at Mercer; she and her suite mate had a double date; and, a week later each was dating the other and they got married and remained friends as long as sister and brother-in-law were down here. I don’t know if the other couple got a divorce or if she died; but, her husband lived with his invalid mother and never married again. He's not in good health; but, he did 'everything' for his Mother, who I think passed away not long ago.

Now I have to refigure our monthly budget because he was able to get insurance through WOW that will cover him all the way to the time he passes away. Once the house gets paid down more, he can lower his insurance; but, as long as we have a mortgage on it we must carry it. We were talking to Trey (oldest son) and I casually made the remark that if his Dad ‘dropped dead’ anytime soon, I would probably have to sell the place. He about ‘freaked’! Telling me that I could get my ‘rich’ son to help me out financially, since he makes a 6-figure salary. He certainly can’t do it. Jenn has an interview for a ‘new’ job and it also has insurance (just not sure if it is individual or for the family). She needs to be bringing home more money than she is now; because basically she is working to pay for tuition for the girls in a private school. But, the public school system is ‘bad’ here. Madison took some special test to see if she would qualify to go into the program where she could take college courses at the same time she is taking HS courses and she missed it by 5 points and Trey said she was really upset; but, she can take it again next year as a Junior. They were not upset because a lot of it she hasn’t taken anyway. She also took the ACTs and did not do very well on them either. At this point, she will probably have to go to a Junior college or a technical school. Trey was talking about how Taylor had deleted one of my posts to her about what she had posted about because of the way I worded it. She had said that all of her ‘generation’ needed to stop whining and grow up and stop expecting for things to be handed to them. She’s watched her Daddy who has only 1 year of college under his belt; and he told his Dad yesterday that he wants a job where he goes into it at 8 or 9; gets off at 5; receives a check and has benefits. He does NOT want to carry on with the business. He can’t find any good honest painters to help him. He told his uncle that he doesn’t understand why he won’t move down to Gainesville, FL to be with his granddaughter and great-granddaughter to help them out. Her husband is attending medical college at the U of FL and she is supporting them since he is not allowed to have a job as long as he is going through medical school. We all agree that he should. Yesterday, Trey got very angry with him for not showing up until 10:30am and they were just about to take a break. He came and then was surprised that they were taking a break. Why had he been late? Because he had been scratching off lottery tickets for 2 hours and won $800. That would mean that he probably brought 40 of the $15 or $20 cards and it took him 2 hours to scratch them off. They were trying to finish up a job; and they could have used his help. They finished it; but, but Louis and Trey stayed mad for the rest of the day. I want my son to find a job maybe more than he does, because I would like to think that we could travel and do some things we would like to do before we get too old to do it.
    I’ve got one of those cabinets shown in the 2nd picture. Got it from my Mimi when she moved from Marietta to Forsyth. It had always been painted white. She started housekeeping with it 70 or more years ago, at the time I got it. It is nearly 100 years old. I wish mine could be this uncluttered; but, it is the thing my husband comes in and drops everything on. He stripped it of the paint and stained it about this color and it has everything on it except for the sugar bin, which my Mimi took over because it would get ants in it. It has a flour bin and a spice rack. This makes me want to start decluttering my entire house! So many little ‘dreams’ I have for how I want things to look. Need new flooring throughout the entire house, need a new sofa and 2 club chairs (but, at this point, I will settle for a freaking door to my porch and the A/C being fixed – and hopefully, not have to be replaced). I don’t think my kitchen is big enough for a center counter; but, I would like to have a bit more cabinet space (around a useless window) which has a wire rack in front of it for storing ‘big’ things. I just think it make the room ‘tacky’ looking. But, we’d have to have them made because of the other cabinets. I want him to paint my cabinets and would like the top ones to be light color and the bottom ones a darker color. And some sort of molding, even if it is quarter round put up so you can’t see the crack from where the house has settle between the cabinets and ceiling. I can dream on and on; don’t want to be like my Mother who had always wanted a screened-in porch built (should have done it when they remodeled the kitchen and den area. When my Dad died, she built a huge screen and loved it. It was on the east side of the house, so it was ‘cool’ to sit out there. She did china painting out there and kept ferns and a few hanging plants, too.

Joyce – Louis and my 45th anniversary is 8/20 (the next week we will go see Will and Tami who were married 2 years ago on the 9th). We forgot to get them a card; but, that is ‘ok’ we talked to them last night. I wasn’t really in a talkative mood; but, Louis put the phone on speaker and we both could talk to all of them because they also had us on speaker phone. Louis and my courtship was pretty much a whirlwind, too. Went out on our first date, the night that George Wallace got shot and were engaged by March and set the date a month later.

Heather – Thankfully, I am ambidextrous … and certainly happy about that because my right rotator cuff has been operated on 2 times. But, still … some things were really difficult to do left-handed.

I would have liked to have had a garden; but, at this point, not sure I could keep it up. BP has been all over everywhere from the bottom number in the 60’s to mid-80’s. I feel like $#*T warmed over when it hits the 60’s.

Taken off BP medication because it had over-corrected itself from being in the high 80’s or mid 90’s. But, now it is back to being all over the place.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia - At least some artistic person can make some good out of something bad. Plastic, especially the can holders is a 'death sentence' if a creature from the deep gets trapped in it. I do NOT understand why it seems like a lot of Americans think it is 'OK' to litter. One day, driving back to pick up my grands from school, the van right in front of me, threw out a big bag of trash and it went all over the place. I called and reported her and gave them her tag number; kept following her and went all the way to the 'school'; got in line behind her and got out of my car and went to hers and told her that I 'hoped' the cops would come give her a ticket for $500 for littering. She looked at me like I was 'crazy' ... and, I about showed her my 'crazy' side. I told her that just because the County Prison had the prisoners picking up trash along the side of the road, it had an effect on our property taxes, too. Such a WITCH! Gee, you could have kept it in your car and thrown it out at the school in a trashcan. Anywhere they throw trash out only makes the country look like a place that no business wants to be in to do business.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,740 Member
    Options
    another book by author grits
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Beautiful day here in Tennessee. Did my deep water class, ran errands, home for a tasty lunch and now relaxing before getting ready for work. Still overwhelmed about hubby issues. Kinda on autopilot and doing what makes me feel better.

Happy birthday, Yvonne and Sharon!

Missing Penny, Ginger, and Carey. Hope everyone is okay.

Have a great day, ladies.

Toni in Tennessee
  • csofled
    Options
    Karen in Virginia

:)<3:)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kelly ~ You and your husband were such a cute young couple and still good looking. Pretty daughter. Imagine meeting someone at 14 and still together after so many years. The baby is so cute.

Lisa ~ I am so sorry for your sadness about Cory. My DH and I are so much older than you (68 & 69) and it is so difficult to realize we just plain can't do what we could at your age. I don't really feel old at all but my body gives me away.

Barbie ~ I got a chuckle when I read your post about the grumpy husband. My husband is the same way, only he is on opposite ends of the spectrum. I just listen to him carry on and try not to let it get to me.

I ate my whole day's calories at lunch today. We went to a buffet at a place called the Golden Coral and I ate without thinking. But, I did come home and enter the calories. So glad I don't do something like this often.

I ordered the Curcumin and will see if it helps my knee pain. I did read that it can affect people who are on blood thinners (my DH is) and it can affect liver enzymes and digestion. I will have to be careful.

Carol in GA