WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• itmeansflower
    itmeansflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

"We" were talking about how y'all met your husbands. I met DH on Yahoo!'s dating site too. I think I really impressed him, my saying "I could merge into heavy traffic!"

Dana - I love that! The thing that impressed my husband was that I not only watched the "Twilight Zone", but that I could name my favorite episodes, LOL! My all time fav is "Two", with Elizabeth Montgomery & Charles Bronson.
    -I really like your mother's ring, btw. I worked in (very) fine jewelry for 20 years, so I can tell you that it's a unique and lovely piece! (Many mother's rings just don't work out that well, so congrats!)

Yoga class went well. It was at a yoga studio, a very nice, serene space, and was specially for plus-size women. I kept up pretty well, though at the end I had a headache. I'm not sure if it was from all the concentration, or maybe that I needed dinner. Or both. But I'm glad I went, and I will go again. I wasn't overly sore today, just a bit in the shoulders. So a definite victory! :smiley:

Have a good night, everyone!

Claudia in Seattle
  • MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lauren in LA: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Cheri in College Station TX: Congratulations on your weight loss. WTG!!!!! :bigsmile:

Lanette: I take Turmeric/Curcumin every morning with good results. :flowerforyou:

Mary: I keep you and all medical researchers working on Lyme's Disease in my prayers. :heart:

Cheri: I love your photos with your DH. The two of you are a cute couple. :bigsmile:

Barbie: Thanks for your comments on exercise bikes. I tend to look for cheap and that is usually not the best way to make a good choice. :embarassed: I'm not any happier with the President than Jake. Let him know he isn't alone in his concerns. :noway:

I bought two new fuchsias today and they are hanging in their new spots. One is at the corner of our deck and the other is just outside of the kitchen window. They make me and the hummingbirds happy. I still have feeders out for the hummingbirds, too.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Lisa - it sounds like a great first full meeting day.

Machka -Jasper is such a magical place and you both look so happy.

Carol - We were on a party line also. 2 longs, 2 shorts was our ring.

Cheri - It is looking like Texas does agree with you. 21 lbs down can be quite an achievement.

Yvonne - Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday , dear Yvonne. happy birthday to you.

Time to elevate the ankle.

will write more soon
    -Sharon in Alberta
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,829 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Just shy of 8 hrs of sleep..
    from what I hear about this insurance debockle.. I will be scre-ed . when everything goes the way its gonna go the people in there 50-60's will be paying huge huge premiums.. which I will not be able to afford.. and with a pre-existing condition no help.. so I will probably be paying a fine and living with no insurance.. but right now I cant worry about that. have to put it in Gods hands..today is my day off, but have errands to run and to get Taliah on the bus.. so will try and catch up later..
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Good morning!

Machka I would love to see your shed you lived in. Sounds like an adventure! I love our rustic decor but never had to live in a rustic environment.

Barbie We have Humana Advantage insurance and have a zero copay. But I don't believe that the Cadillac tax that Obama had written in will be removed by Trump. So we may have to pay an extra tax on our Federal taxes. However taxes over all will be reduced. I think there are people that try to stir up trouble by rioting and destroying property to get noticed in the national news. That's their agenda and the media doesn't help. They are on Trumps back 24/7!
    We had 8 years of executive orders on Friday afternoons that we don't even know how many there were! They were on Friday for a purpose. The media never covered those that took our liberties. Don't get me started!! I really don't want to talk politics on this group.

I have my Mammogram and bone density tests this morning and we have a storm rolling in. Weatherman says severe risk for bad weather. Wind and hail but low risk for tornadoes.

Have a good day!
    Dana in Arkansas
    Bob and me at our reception in Austin, Texas, 7/24/04
    lrn1achifisi.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-28X10X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    30 push-ups

May Move Your *kitten* Challenge
    I will take at least one walk today.

Move More Sit Less Challenge
    I am still setting up my garage sale!

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th
    Day 19/28 I am focusing on drinking enough water and staying with in carbs and calories!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,101 Member
    Options
    Sharon Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:

Rori I am in for August too. Mary and Gayle hopefully we can still meet up in June after this temporary job is over. Like any job there are highlights and low lights. People that make it easier, people that make it harder, and those who do their job and I do mine. Now that the Kindergarten concert is over and they are settling down I think I will quite enjoy it.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I'd love to meet up in June with you and Gayle! That would be a lot of fun. When it gets closer you pick a day and we'll meet up! I'm glad that you are enjoying your job!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,227 Member
    Options
    Machka I would love to see your shed you lived in. Sounds like an adventure! I love our rustic decor but never had to live in a rustic environment.

The set of photos is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157619719051119
    It was called the "Love Shack" before we got there, and it stuck. :)

And the scenery around the "Love Shack": https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157623277367498

And the first half or so of the photos here are my baking in our fireplace: https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157621039458509
    I made cakes, cookies, pizza, muffins, a trifle, pies and pastries.

Many of the photos show the place in something of a state of construction as we tried to make the place more habitable ... this is one of the less construction-y photos:
    4412689075_6c7280af7d_z.jpg

Machka - You are a tougher woman than I am... Glad you got the DVT issues resolved, and so glad your new husband got you to the hospital in time. Very scary stuff. Loved your wedding pics, as well... Australia is one of the few countries I would still love to visit--I was based in Europe while still married to the US Air Force, so satisfied most of my need to travel. Australia has always intrigued me, though.

Australia always intrigued me too ... and I really like it here. :)

I have spent quite a bit of time in Europe too and wouldn't mind going there to live for a year or two, but meanwhile we'll stay here.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where Ginger in TX has been? We haven't heard from her in a few weeks.

Janetr okc.
  • HealthyLifestyleG525
    HealthyLifestyleG525 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Beautiful Ladies

Just got back from a walk with Terrell (the black lab). Saw a mother duck and 9-10 tiny ducklings. They must have been newly hatched. So sweet. She was not happy to see the dog and was trying to hide her brood behind the bushes. The dog didn't see the ducks but he heard the quacking and was certainly very curious. In case you're wondering, we live in the suburbs not the city, so ducklings and even more commonly baby geese are often seen in the spring.

I have been under the weather the last few days. Still trying to recover from the upper respiratory that I got last Monday. Doctor changed my diabetes medication to a new once-a-week injectable. So far the side effects have been tolerable except for yesterday I was really nauseated and had a migraine. Don't know if that's from the medicine or just a coincidence.

I took my first shot on Saturday and have been vaguely nauseated since then, kind of like minor morning sickness. Can't eat very much at one time or my stomach hurts - one side effect is your stomach empties more slowly. I have barely been able to get in 1100 - 1300 calories per day. Yesterday I pushed myself to eat more at dinner and it was not a good thing. You would think the weight would be pouring off but it's only slowly inching down. Maybe because I haven't felt up to exercising for a few days. The medicine also causes major constipation!

I am going to see the nutritionist on Tuesday and will see what she has to say about everything. The good news is that my blood sugar is down markedly, not to normal but certainly much lower than I've seen since I was diagnosed. I don't know if that is due to the medicine, not eating very much, or having an easier time keeping my carb intake in check.

I am getting very behind in my work from not feeling well enough to push myself! That and the fact that I took yesterday off to go to my best friend's mother's funeral. They are Greek Orthodox so we had a visitation at the church, then the funeral service, then prayers graveside (at a Greek monastery across state line), then a meal prepared by the Greek nuns. It was a most-of-the-day affair. My friend was very appreciative of the support however.

Hope you all have a lovely day!
    Renee from Chicagoland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Barbie: I can understand your mom going back to work so that she could afford nice clothes to wear to work. Work friendships and relationships are very important to many people. One of my neighbors who is retired has taken a part time job at the county. It is only a few hours a week, but it gets her out of the house and puts her mind into active mode. She seems to like it. :flowerforyou: I'm sorry that Jake seems to be in a funk. Good luck. :heart:

Helen: Why do you have a one year deadline to get all the weight off? I've found that this system works really well, but it is not speedy. It took me about 2 years to lose 70 pounds. Maintaining the loss is a challenge, and the reason I'm still here. :smiley:

We're taking our cars in to VW today to get work done. DH's car will be worked on and mine will be evaluated for work on another day. I am hopeful that we'll be able to get home soon enough to go to my haircut appointment. I have enough doubt that I may call and postpone for another day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    443112qznln8fnnl.gif
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Happy Thursday Peeps!

Just a quick check in and commentary for right now...

Yvonne, hope you had a great birthday!

It’s so much fun hearing the “love stories” – wouldn’t it be neat to be able to bottle the “in love” feeling and take a pill now and then to instantly relive that excitement? The wedding and house photos are wonderful. <3

My take on politics in general, feel free to skip...

Barbie, my DH sounds a little like Jake. He too got riled up at times. When his cussing at the TV would get too tiresome I’d move to the kitchen with the laptop or go for a walk/work in the garden. Sounds like you do the same.

My DH is unable to be very active so spent a lot of time in front of the TV, or on the internet, especially in the wet winter months. I tended to agree with him politically but enough was enough already.

Things are much better since we no longer watch any local or national news or political comment shows other than Bloomberg at our house which is mostly about companies… the commentary is from analysts around the world and is nothing like what you watch on CNN.

Some day, I will tell my story about helping rewrite the WAC (Washington Administrative Code) for the E911 state excise tax fifteen years ago, and because of that experience I have a basic distrust of politics, politicians on both sides of the spectrum, legislatures and the media. Maybe it’s my ENTJ personality. I know our elected officials try to do a good job but the real work is done behind the scenes by lobbyists, advisors and aides with agendas. Deals are made. So being upset with an elected official, especially at the state and federal level, is often misplaced. Hard to convince other people of that, I know.

I have a friend who’s a Tai Chi instructor and nothing seems to rattle him. He says both parties are basically the same and get their work done by drawing our attention to “sparkly things”. I think there’s some merit to that.

I do know that most of the things I worry about when it comes to political promises or speculation (about anything, really) never comes to pass. Sometimes something better or worse (unintended consequences) slaps us upside the head but worrying won’t do any good. I found that talking this out with DH would help calm him down.

So, here’s a thought that is applicable to just about anything we run up against:

jiu99f7elq2m.jpg

On another note, I overdid it yesterday and this morning could barely crawl out of bed. Couldn’t bend over to get the dog’s dish! Well, I took that curcumin pill with coffee and within 15 minutes, it was 90% better. If this is a publicly traded company, I’m buying stock.

OK peeps, more later.

Lanette
    SW WA State where it’s wet and cool.