WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    DrKatieBug ... tsk, tsk tsk ... Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Meg ... wow! I haven't heard of anyone contracting mumps in years. I had them as a child before the MMR shots became popular. Hope you get well soon!

Beth near Buffalo

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Good evening!
    I opened more boxes out in the garage and found my GGM's antique wine glasses and some other flutes. I cleaned out the top shelf of cupboard and separated into piles to the Salvation Army or to keep. I also found other collectibles of old kitchen tools. I have been collecting old cooking tools, reamers and pitchers, etc. I had a dozen extra coffee mugs that are mismatched, some from old jobs with logos and some gifts and some souvenirs. What do I do with them?? Ugh! I ended up putting them up above the Keurig coffee maker.
    Maybe someday I'll have 20 people over for coffee!!

Katla Sounds like fun riding out on trails. Probably the cattle's owner wouldn't like them run around and running off their fat!! Best not to be out during deer season!!

Lanette The Preacher had a lot of bad language and their are zombie types and angels and demons but it is kind of cool!

Allie Sorry you fell! I'm glad your not hurt!

That's is for me! I have 7% power on my iPhone so I better go!
    Dana in Arkansas
    Clean cupboard!
    8bcrbsa4iyzt.jpg

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Mumps are on the rise again. The MMR shot is shown to "wear out" now and a lot of people over 40 have not gotten a booster shot when they were older. My kids all had to get one when they headed off to college. Funny though my youngest daughter, who had two MMR immunizations tested to be non-immune to measles and mumps this last pregnancy so they were telling her to stay away from any kids with the diseases. She got an MMR after the baby was born.

Be glad you aren't male. Mumps is a killer for adult men.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 10.59min. 16.1amph, 140mhr, 2.9mi = 112c
    apple watch- 108c
    day 25-Plyometrics exercises- 13.30min, 3ets of 10each, burpees, squats, running stationary lunges, single leg toe touches, crunches, sit-ups, 138mhr = 96c
    apple watch- 91c
    SPIN CLASS- 32min, 89ar, 103aw, 10-13g, 121ahr, 149mhr, 14mi = 254c
    apple watch- 266c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.19min, 13.4amph, 109ahr, 139mhr, 1.4mi = 66c
    apple watch- 50c
    bike ride from puyallup 2 sumn station- 15.05min, 12.2amph, 149mhr, 126ahr, 3mi = 146c
    apple iwatch- 116c
    jog station 2 wk- 5.01min, 9.40min mi., 135ahr, 158mhr, .5mi = 73c
    apple watch- 65c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5min, 9.40min mi, 133ahr, 160mhr .5mi = 75c
    apple watch- 59c
    bike ride dome 2 hm-19.03min, 8.4amph, 133ahr, 149mhr, 2.6mi = 203c
    Apple Watch- 158c

total cal 1025
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    :#
    Meg: What is the treatment for mumps? Hope you shake them soon.

Allie: A mani-pedi is most deserved.

Dr. Katiebug: I hear you on the comforting properties of ice cream. What else can you do to get your mind off the speeding ticket?

I'm not looking forward to SNOW coming in tomorrow. But it should pass quickly. Saturday I get to meet Sue and her daughter!

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Dana, Mighty clean cupboard, ya got thar!

When we hopefully get to live with son, he has the prettiest Asian inspired dishware! I helped him set up his place, and he has admitted to me that he uses paper plates more often than he should. Laziness, because he has a dishwasher! We bought our dishes individually from Fred Meyers. The best part was only buying what we needed. Also our design came with little tiny bowls you could buy. Great for dipping sauces, aujus' gravy, and yogurt portions. I also bought a serving bowl, and if you have seen the pattern we have, its a fun bowl to put fruits in, on the counter.

Hugs ladies!
    Becca
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) Lovely day today that included lunch with my line dance class and Jake at our favorite Chinese restaurant. We both brought home half to have for supper. Jake took a friend to an eye surgery appointment so I had the house to myself for awhile. I finally remembered that I wanted to do yoga when the house was quiet. It has been so long so I am really stiff. Afterwards I lay down for 30 minutes with the pets and felt like a new woman when I got up.

<3Meg, sorry to hear about the mumps.

<3dr.katie, sorry about the speeding ticket...do you have self-soothing behaviours besides ice cream that you can use?

:)Dana, clearing out so many precious possessions can be very tiring physically and emotionally.

:)Katla, happy to hear about your horse riding plans.

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    In no particular order here ...

Heather – DH and I have never ‘jockeyed’ working on selling and buying a house at the same time. Maybe it was due to ‘transfers’; we sold our home, moved, then bought one. Companies would pay for motel rooms. The only time that we might have had to do that would have been when we had a balloon note on this land; and were still making payments on our home we lived in. Paying just ‘interest’ and rolling it over every 3 months. We were extremely lucky that we were able to sell our house the night we signed the contract to sell it. Our realtor called another one that was looking for a house for her aunt and she came over, looked at it, and signed the contract to buy it. We had 45 days in which to pack up and move our stuff ‘out of the house’, so it got stored; we stayed with DOS and family until I had had enough of being ‘accused’ of ‘snooping through their stuff by DDnL#1’. I tried helping out by making up the beds, and putting dishes into the dishwasher, washing them, and putting them up. Never did ‘anything’ right. I told Louis that he would have to put me up in a motel; because I just was NOT staying there any longer. So, he got the man building the house to build a shed (which is ‘supposed’ to be my ‘studio’) and we moved our bed in and set up housekeeping – a little bit of ‘roughing it’; but, I did go over to their house to take a shower and watched TV for a while. When I could not figure out which of the 3 remotes did what, and would call son at work, he got mad and told me to just leave it on the station. I do NOT like soap operas and that is what came on after Noon. So I spend most of the time out of the porch of the studio and read.

Lanette – Love the saying. I might have to send that to my friend in Richmond who has been admitted into the hospital. BP way up. They moved her 3 times by ambulance and now they are looking at a suspicious spot on one of her lungs. I am ‘so upset’. She and I have cultivated a friendship that means as much as one that I see almost on a daily basis.

Had to go pick up a form to correct the SSN on a 1099. BF had to print one off for me.

I like “Dance, Dance, Dance” too and it does get in your head very quickly!

A few holidays ago, my DH pissed me off, something he said that really embarrassed me more – in front of my children – and I went into the MBR and took both arms and ‘slammed’ the door so hard that the deer hanging over the door in the den moved to a 2 o’clock position. Finally, I calmed down and my DOS said, as he pointed to it, “Dad would have REALLY been pissed if it had fallen off the wall and gotten broken’. I turned and looked at it and told him, ‘well it isn’t going to fall because of the type of hook and to just leave it alone and I wanted to see how long it took him to notice it. But, he could not keep his mouth shut. Slamming cabinet doors are just not the same effect; and, you have to deal with broken dishes. I’ve never thrown a dish!

Joyce – Next thing they’ll have is a ‘talking fridge’ to tell you what you need, or it will be printed on the front like a grocery list. My Dad’s thought was ‘a door is not shut; unless it is slammed shut’. He’d walk in the front door, slam it behind him, walk through the dining room door and slam it, and walked through the swinging door and push it so hard that it’d swing 15x before he got to the sofa. Never missing a step or turning to look behind him. He walked at a pretty good clip; and, when Trey was little and we lived near them, I’d work for him (his ruse for getting to see the grandsons) and Trey would ‘hop’ into every step, never looked up. If Daddy had stopped quickly Trey would have ended up with his head in his @$$. Mother and I would walk behind them, it was so cute that Trey thought his PaPaw was so special to him, too.

My GP is thinking that something I am taking in the way of medication is what is making my BP drop into the 60’s. I’m having my physical at the end of the month. The ‘only’ MD that is going to ‘mess’ with my meds will be my PsycheMD, even if I had to go to Macon to have it done there. I’ve been dizzy and sometimes nauseous with a bit of a headache.

I can’t even imagine 7,000 emails. I don’t think my Outlook (or my Windstream) could deal with that. I think they only would hold 500 (maybe less); but, I find a computer to read them daily.

In HS, the upper-classmen would line up against the hall walls and cruise the ‘new’ girls in school. The guy that ‘hit’ on me was in my sister’s class (3 years older). We dated pretty steadily through school and remained friends even after he graduated. Only time we did not date was during my Junior year when I went 'steady' with someone else. Sometimes you have to ‘ignore’ others when they say that someone is a ‘player’. He was always a gentleman to me. When he had to have his ears operated on, I’d go down and sit with him at the hospital. He missed school the 2nd half of 2 years. The school provided a tutor for him … he had said he would ‘drop out’; but, then I told him that I’d stop dating him if he did. So he stayed in school. He was a great football player and the coach did not want to lose him.

Joyce – I think my DH has created a ‘monster’ with Cracker; by throwing her ‘baby’ in the house. Now she will pick it up and put it in the floor right in front of his chair and stare at him until he picks it up; if he ‘ignores’ her (tries to), she will bark at him and try to jump up in his lap. He holds a magazine up in front of himself and laughs, trying not to be seen by her. Crazy! Cracker, when we let her out, will come sit at the back door and just ‘stare’ at the opening. Rarely scratching the door; but, she does scratch if she thinks she has been sitting out there patiently long enough. She also snores ‘lightly’.

Meg – I am so sorry you have the mumps. I hear they are going around and the measles as well. Since DYS had a ‘reaction’ to the MMR shot as a baby; he can’t have the 2nd booster. So, if Tami’s daughter has any of them, he will have to stay away. When he had the shingles, she had to stay away because she had never had the ‘chicken pox’. Shingles can make someone who has not had the ‘chicken pox’ get them, just not the other way around.

Marcelynh – Our pediatrician had to write a letter to the universities that Will attended to be able to get him out of taking the 2nd MMR shot given right before entering college; with the understanding that ‘if’ he got them, he would have to ‘drop out’ until he was no longer contagious. If they was a ‘break-out’ he would have probably had to avoid some things and some places.

Chris in MA – A lot of the fact that people are getting measles, mumps, 3-day (Rubella) measles is because a pretty good number of young adults with children refuse to have the vaccinated. Small pox was eradicated back in the ’50 or ‘60’s as was ‘polio’; but, there are some 3rd world countries that have this and other communicable diseases and they are fleeing their countries by 100s of 1000s … it is little wonder these illnesses are making a come-back.

We eat ‘left-overs’ all the time. I grew up doing it, DH grew up doing it. His mother could mix ‘left-over’ rice into the scrambled eggs to stretch them. If she had grits or something like that, she would pour it into a plate and put it in the ‘fridge and the next day would ‘fry’ them in a pan. Especially good with cheese melted into it.

DJ – I think the maddest I ever got at my DFnL (who was difficult, at best) is when my DMnL asked for him to rub her feet, which were cramping up. She had RA, he acted like such an @$$ that I told her to sit and I’d rub them. He said he was ‘only kidding’ and I told him that wasn’t kidding that was ‘just plain cruel’!!!!! I’d be a ‘charm bracelet’, too. Actually, I might be only a ‘charm’ on a bracelet.

YAH!!!!! – Met with the ST FM adjuster at the body shop; showed them how, when I put an envelope under the doors on the driver’s side there was about ¼” of clearance; went to the other side and could not even get the envelop under the door. Adjuster opened the door and it was ‘scrubbing’ and then he looked at the bar that the doors rest on and said it looked like I had run over a curb or a rock; I told him that I had not. I am the primary driver of the car and the only time I am a passenger is when Louis is driving. He took it all down as an additional estimate to the first one and will submit it to the claims department. Mr. Perry said that ‘if’ they did not pay for him to do it; that he would get it up and take a block and beat the bowing of it down and not charge me anything. He’d make sure that somehow I was ‘happy’ with it. He told the adjuster that they only feathered in the paint on the front door; but, could understand why I was upset. It will be a ‘costly’ repair. So, on my way to the bank, I rode through the intersection and ‘boom’ there is a curb in front of the metal pole. IF the car had gone in the opposite direction, there is a 2-2 ½ deep ditch and I would have had to have taken out a “Do Not Enter” sign prior to hitting the pole; and it would have scratched the left side of the car or there would have been damage to the undercarriage. Talked to the adjuster later and told him ‘there was a curb in front of the metal utility pole’. He said ‘great’; that is how I am writing it up, they will be calling you in a few days to get a statement from you and make sure you tell them this, that will ‘help’ in getting them to pay for the damage’. HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY DANCE!!!!!

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Julie, thanks for the introduction. You have lots of Texans around you. I’d brag, too. Nice looking son and did his dog graduate too?

Dana, that eating out is a hard way to lose weight, not to mention expensive. Thank goodness my DH likes chicken and will gladly eat left overs.

Kate, what a mess about the bomb. I’m sure you were happy to finally reach your destination.

Katla, glad the lens adjustment has helped. I had to have glasses remade a few years back and they didn’t charge me anything. I think that is standard. Good luck.

Kelly, Joaquin is so darn cute even in pain. Lol Bless his heart.

Marcelyn, great picture of you and your DH. You and I have similar hair. :)

Allie, I’m just glad you didn’t REALLY hurt yourself. Go enjoy the mani/pedi.

Meg, OMG I hope your DH has had them? My DMIL got them a few years after DH and I were married and she was miserable. I hope you have a mild case. ((((Hugs))))

Kay, so sorry about the ticket. It really bums me out to get one and it doesn’t help insurance rates either. I got one two years ago and can’t wait for it to drop off.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

My DD and I went to the beach today and what a beautiful day it was! Perfect temperature and we just had a great time. I hope we do it again soon.

Brain cells, hair cells and skin cells all die constantly but freaking fat cells seem to have eternal life!

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • DanaReel180
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Becca
    Why thank ya!! I actually have a set of vintage FiestaWare in my hutch and two other sets in the garage still packed.
    If I drive up to Denver I'll take a set to
    my DOD. The red dishes has bear and canoes on them that goes with our cabin/lodge decor. I'm going to go thru each cupboard and straighten up. You wouldn't believe my garage. It looks like a episode of Hoarders!!

Barbie Yes, cleaning out stuff is tiring. It's hard to decide what to get rid of and I feel guilty if I do so if it was a gift. But it's just stuff!

Talk about emails!! I have over 21,000 on my att account. They are on their server not my pc, so I'm not so worried. No warnings yet!! At the State of Texas I had to keep things neatly filed in folders which I had 100+ anything over 90 days old would be archived on the main server so the pc's weren't loaded down. Same with other files.

Just watched the finales of Modern Family and Designated Survivor and the new show Downward Dog. Cute dog. He's kind of like our hound dog. He looks part Treeing Walker Coonhound and maybe something else thrown in there.

Good night!
    Dana in Arkansas

Take care! <3:)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    allie so true, you are such a kind, thoughtful, generous person, time to turn that towards yourself <3

I sweated through a tough concert last night (felt like 85 degrees in our school auditorium) , happy that's behind me. I still have a nice long checklist and just have to work through all the important to dos that need doing!

3rd day without gluten. Still have horrible itchy rash, waiting to see what a week without gluten will do for me.

Cheers to all experiencing victories, large and small. NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Machka - hoping for great results from your surgery!
  • DanaReel180
    Options
    Machka I'm glad your doing well this morning after your surgery!
    <3<3<3