WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all!

Lanette Yes! Better Call Saul. I loved it when he said "Saul Goodman, It'S All Good man!" Clever writers indeed!
    The Son and The Preacher also in AMC are faves. I like Pierce Brosnan and they do a good job on the Texas accents. Since I lived there I pick up on that right away. Preacher is a kick!! It's so over the top!!

DJ. No, DH will not eat leftovers. Not even chicken. Half the time I end up deboning the rest of the chicken and put some away for my lunch or two then chop the rest of it for our dog. I'll mix it in her dry dig food o nothing is wasted.
    DH loves BBQ brisket, hamburgers or TexMex so my options are limited when it comes to chicken!! We eat out a lot!

Have a great evening,
    Dana in Arkansas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dana - Your story of the ex husband made me think that would be a great opening for a novel, or screenplay. Leave it open as to whether or not she ran him down and then flash back to the back story. Then rerun the "potential accident". I think I would, teasingly, still leave the denouement open at the end. Maybe. >:) Or find a surprise ending.

The cleaner I had last week is coming this morning for 2 hours. Not a lot for her to do as we "cleaned" and tidied yesterday for the viewing. I think I will get her to deep clean the living room first - go under and behind sofas etc, skirtings. I have a thing about clean skirting boards. :o Our stair carpet is grubby too. Then maybe a whizz around bathrooms. She was very good last week. We will be on our exercise machines when she arrives. :D
    When she finishes I am catching the bus (in the rain) to Southampton to meet my Portsmouth friend for shopping (hers) and lunch. She is soon moving to York in the north of England so I won't see so much of her. :'( She still has a tiny apartment in Portsmouth, but I don't think she will get down much. This expedition is partly to get her savings out early (they are fixed term) with a penalty, and she has to be there in person with I.D. I will be so sad not to see so much of her. :s Of course, I will visit, but it's a 5 hour expensive journey on two trains plus a tube through London. So not that often.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Arrived in Birmingham yesterday by train and found that due to the finding of an unexploded WW2 bomb the local trains were cancelled. Had to get a taxi, traffic horrendous due to diversions etc. They had to do a controlled explosion as it was so big. The city was in turmoil, traffic awful at the best of times. The guy who hit it with his digger was lucky though.
    Hoping to get some walking in today but weather doesn't look too good

Kate UK <3
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all...

Headed to Carlsbad, N.M. this morning for a meeting, but don't have to leave until 8:30 my time, as the time difference is in my favor going that way. Not in my favor coming back, but that's life. It's about a three-hour drive with potty stops, so six hours of today spent in the car. Unfortunately, through some seriously bad oilfield traffic, as that area is just a hornet's nest of new drilling, and mostly two-lane roads. And seriously boring countryside. The pumpjacks (rocking horses, as I called them when I was a kid) are the tallest thing in the surrounding scenery. I invested in a half-dozen CDs, which I haven't bought in years, for sing-along music.

Julie - Welcome! My sister lives north of Dallas, and a little west, near Princeton. Welcome to the group, we're glad you're here.

Kate - Just took a look at the Internet coverage on the WWII bomb they found in Birmingham. Amazing how wars continue to leak into our lives decades, even lifetimes later.

Off to the races, y'all. Brought home ten file boxes (and a small file cabinet) filled with files and stationery to use, as well as a printer, so that I'll be able to produce all the written correspondence for the job. Should be able to be home for the next few weeks, and looking forward to that. Got a lot to get up to speed on!

Love y'all!
    Lisa in West Texas
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    <3
  • jddavis2015
    jddavis2015 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone!

I'm supposed to be reading a contract right now but instead I'm sitting in the dark watching the lightening and listening to the thunder roll in. Strange...the weather report says sunny and a high of 90 today.

Ironically funny...I'm trying to lose about 30 lbs by the fall. My 19 year old son, who is 6'5" and 150 lbs, is trying to gain 30 pounds before he goes back to school in September. Maybe we can workout together? ;-)

Quick mom-brag moment: This is my oldest who graduated from UNT on Friday...and started work Monday morning!

q3iadyojxs37.jpg

Lisa - Where are you in West Texas? We have family in Lubbock and visit about once a year. DH and I both went to Texas Tech. I've lived in Dallas most of my life, except for stint when we moved around Colorado and N. California. Then I regained my sanity and moved back home. I'd never heard of Princeton, Tx until you mentioned it. I need to get out more.

NYKaren - Thanks for the info. I'll definately reach out to Mary and Barbie for advice.

Kate UK - I hope your day gets better. Maybe the weather will hold off until you can finish walking.

Have a wonderful day!
    Julie TX
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Busy, busy! Not sure if I will be able to talk more today. Have interview tonight with prospective daycare family! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly) Welcome new ladies!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    250121x9f4ez5xgq.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yvonne: Add me to the list of people who are skeptical about a bunch of bells and whistles on appliances. I want my refrigerator to keep things cold, and my stove to heat things up. I want to oven to be at the temperature it says it is. Simple is ideal. I do like meat probes. The one on my main stove & oven is working fine. At age 20, the microwave still works as always. The lower oven heats to the required temperature, but the probe no longer works. :ohwell:

Becca: I hope things work out for you to be able to share housing with your son next year. :flowerforyou:

Lenora: (((HUGS)))

Dana in AR: I loved the cutting horse class and want to take another. We didn't have any live cattle to cut, but there are plenty grazing near the stable. I doubt the neighbor who owns them would be too thrilled if we disturbed them in the pasture to practice cutting. The pastures connect without much fencing and we can trail ride through his property because he is generous about it. We haven't been out on the trails since deer season began last fall. It has been too wet and slippery to consider going. :bigsmile:

jddavis: You are generous to donate platelets. My dbil has been a donor for decades and is now in his 90's. He still donates as far as I know. I think they're planning to give him an award. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I went in to the eye-health place and the guy adjusted the position of my left lens. It has been a huge help. I'll live with it a while and it may be okay. If not, I'll need a new eye test and they'll have to make a new lens. This would be at their expense from what I was told. We've already paid a huge amount. Medicare doesn't cover glasses & neither does our supplemental insurance. The headache is currently gone so I'm happier. I hope your blood pressure issue improves. I love your "build someone up" message. :bigsmile:

Kate UK: I am astonished that an unexploded WWII bomb was discovered. I wonder whether there are more lurking in unknown places. I hope not. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today!!! Yay!!! As far as I know there won't be anything to prevent me from being there and I NEED it.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,339 Member
    Options
    Katla – glad your headache has improved and hope the lens readjustment does the trick. Gotta have our peepers in good shape! Enjoy the yoga class! Do you practice yoga at home on the days you don’t go to class?

Lenora – yes, every house needs some “slammable” doors, lol. Whoever lived in this house before must have been a real slammer – some of the door jams are kind of splintered. Phone slamming is another good one too. Unfortunately, I don’t think the caller on the other end gets the full impact, lol :s
    Dana, my DH used to refuse to eat leftovers but now I’m proud to say he ate chicken sandwiches three days in a row from a rotisserie chicken. We’ve made a game out of how many meals we can get from a chicken, a pot of stew, carry-out teriyaki, etc. He’s really taken the budgeting thing to heart – Becca must be doing her magic remotely because it’s working. We watch The Son but haven't watched The Preacher yet - it looks good though.

DJ – cute saying about if stress burned calories you’d be hanging from a charm bracelet.

Kelly - hope the interview went well and you'll get some good kids to join the group. They'll be very lucky to be under your watchful eye!!

Pip - amazing how the blossoms were on trees this year. Your tree was wonderful! Looks like snow! Our apple tree branches were sagging just from the blossoms and leaves and DH had to pound the support stake in even deeper as one was leaning.

Barbie – I do like to have the house to myself sometimes too. Not sure if it's "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" or "out of sight, out of mind!" Sometimes we just need a break! >:) Retirement = more husband, less money.

Heather and Kate – I love reading how you two take the trains and the “tube”. There is a train we could catch if we wanted to go to Seattle or Portland, I’d love to take it sometime – let someone else do the driving. When I worked in Seattle I did depend on the bus system a lot.

Kate – that live bomb was scary and that’s a long time for it to just be sitting there.

Heather - glad your cleaner is working out. New cleaners come in with B) new eyes I think. Glad you’ll be able to meet your friend.

Lisa – sounds like you have some good “traveling music”. You’ll get to see some country and have time for good thinking! Hope Corey is back to work and getting in the groove again.

Julie – welcome! Cute picture of your graduating son and his canine buddy, lol. You’ll find lots of good support and ideas here. It’s a fun bunch!

Got an email from my doc, she said OK on cutting the BP meds in half – it’s OK for it to run into the 130’s/80’s. Still in the 110’s/70’s this morning, but I actually do feel better – more energy. Cutting back on the coffee is helping with my heart pitty-pats.

Want to head outside and get something done….it’s overcast, wet. DH is looking out the window every ten minutes wanting it to get dry enough to mow. He’ll have a whole week of sun starting tomorrow. Predicted high is in the upper 80’s next Tuesday. Time to unearth those shorts again.

Happy Hump Day!

Lanette SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Had a good day. It rained really heavily while I was walking to the bus and to the savings bank with my friend. :o But she appreciated having the company. We trailed round a couple of shops, so I really got my walking in! Knackered!

Came home and got through the door to a blow up with DH. :* It's all about hypothetical offers on the house and hypothetical lowering of prices all round, but in my opinion it's all totally hypothetical. He didn't like that I just dismissed the whole thing. But I really can't see the point. The people who want to buy ours haven't even started trying to sell theirs. Grrrrrrrrrr!
    We are friends again, but he was upset with me. I think I have mentally let go of the Hove house and he hasn't. I can't see the point of looking again down there until ours is under firm offer from people who are in a position to proceed. :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I used to be a slammer. Charlie always said I had the Peterson slam. I think it was because our cars were so old, that was the only way to close the car door. And we just brought that slam into the house. If we slammed the door in anger Mom would really get on us.

Katla, glad I could give you a laugh! I also like just normal appliances. I do have a pre-heat feature on my new stove and I love that.

Cutting it short, got to go get my hair cut

Joyce, Indiana