WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Lisa sounds like your exercise plan is working :) I think your stepwise approach with the calories is going to kick in to more #s lost. It just takes time for the body to realize that you've got a new plan, it will catch up to all the work youre putting into it. The sneak approach will be the trick over the long haul!

Patsy Welcome to a great group of women! I am close (but not quite) to retiring from music teaching. The hard part is, my closest colleagues/friends are all retiring before me, I get along with the younger folks but it's not quite the same :'(

So grateful to check in with you all, keeps me on track :) Having a hot hot Sunday and will get in a catchup date with my bff, haven't talked in weeks!

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,600 Member
    Lenora - Love the hair! You really are a beauty. :flowerforyou: Great to see all your family.

Janetr - Wow, that hairstyle! I wish your daughter a very happy marriage. <3

Penny - :D<3B) We won't have to spend a fortune ashore as the cruise is all paid for. Just lunches and coffees at the cities. Entry fees for museums. We generally just walk about. The only place we intend to take the official tours is St Petersburg, because of visa complications. We should be paying for those in the next few weeks.

I think it was NY KAREN who was eating the homemade yoghurt. I watched a TV programme the other day about gut bacteria. They were looking at probiotics to see which of them survived the stomach acid to actually get down to the gut. Sauerkraut didn't make it at all. Kimchi and probiotics drinks made some of it through provided you ate/drank them on an empty stomach so they are only in the stomach for 15 minutes. The only one that made it through the normal 30 minutes in the stomach was the full fat yoghurt. Had to be full fat, which protects the microbes. We eat my homemade yoghurt every day with stewed fruit for dessert. :D Actually the gut creates it's own beneficial bacteria (trillions of them) when you eat a high fibre diet with lots of veggies, fruit and, apparently, stewed apples. Cooked apples do this better than raw, apparently. Good bacteria regulates blood sugar and, some believe, fat absorbtion.

Tonight we are having the left over guinea fowl with homemade pesto. I will toast a few pine nuts and concasse a tomato. Actually I get DH to do the concassing. (Look it up on Google) DH will have tagliatelle, I will have spiralized zucchini. Can't wait.! For lunch I have left over roasted root veggies with my (previously frozen) home cooked chick peas. Yummo!!!
    I've said it before, but one of the reasons I have found it really easy to lose weight and stay in maintenance is that I adore the food I eat every day. I would much rather eat my food than almost anyone else's. We rarely eat out or buy processed food. I am very lucky to be retired and to have the time. I know it's much harder when you are super busy and have a full time job. That takes planning and strategy. Freezing cooked meals, cooking grains, pulses in bulk and freezing portions etc.My freezer is my best friend. I buy fresh meat and fish and freeze it and just take two portions out first thing in the morning. We live several miles from the nearest shop.
    I am also lucky that my DH loves the food I cook. Some things I love that he doesn't I have when he is out at cricket etc. I often add chilli sauce to my plate. :laugh: Even to my chilli!

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,847 Member
    Good morning ladies! Happy Sunday!
    Lenora- You look fantastic! Your new haircut looks great on you, and I agree, the dress is COOL!
    Heather- I just love your posts! I love to hear all of the meals you cook. I cook all of the time, but it is for kids, so the food is generally not fancy. Right now, I don't care for cooking; but I could see myself enjoying it more when I am doing it less. Does that make sense?! LOL. right now I will just enjoy reading and drooling over your meals!
    Lisa- I think Egg is a cool name for an animal. Makes you wonder!
    Allie- Letting you know that you are in my thoughts daily. Hugs to you!
    Welcome new girls!
    Janet- Your daughter looks so happy and her hair is/was beautiful! Her groom looks a little befuddled! LOL! I think I have seen that look on many groom's faces!
    DJ- It is always a nice day when you can escape to the beach or somewhere relaxing and people watch. After the fourth of July, I am hoping to have a little more time to do that.
    Penny-Your pictures and stories are glorious as always! Your photo of your DH planting the potatoes, reminds me of spending summers with my aunt. She always had a big section of her garden set out for potatoes. I always loved digging for them. It was like finding buried treasure!

Well, it is overcast here, today, but the temps are expected to be in the low 90's with no rain. So the sprinkler is going. We are getting a nice cool breeze off the lake. I just love these windy days. Keeps the bugs to a minimum, the movement of the trees and the sound of the wind in the trees and hearing the waves beat on the shore. Bliss! I am hoping to get my walk in either down at the beach or downtown on the boardwalk. I think I will do the latter a bit later in the day (this evening). I bet there are a lot of surfers on the lake. Waves are only supposed to be 5-10 footers, but the surfers can get an easy ride in on them. I will see if I can get some pics.
    DH leaves tomorrow for a work trip to the east side of the state. He is not a traveler, so is very cross and grumpy. DYS and I are looking forward to a week of eating the foods that we like (seafood, mushrooms and other veggies, meat on the bone). DH is a really picky eater and I normally cook with him in mind (boring). I feel bad for him, though. He has the heart of a homebody and has to travel. Not extensively, but enough to make him uncomfortable. I envy him every trip. I even envy his daily drive to work and days at an office. Some people find being at home to be relaxing; I am not one of those people! LOL. We all have our crosses to bear. Maybe my home should go on my gratitude list today? ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,600 Member
    Karen - It really was only the full fat yoghurt that made it through into the gut. Unless you are eating it on an empty stomach. ;):* I make that sort because I like it. :D It reminds me of my holidays in India B)

KJ - Cooking a lot of food for other people that was boring would certainly put me off! :noway: Food just for fuel can be a chore. I do have some really weird tastes that I only can indulge occasionally, but DH likes most things. I don't think I could have married a fussy eater. Actually I know I couldn't. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Kelly you are so right about my new son-in-law. He's 47 and never been married before, vowed to never marry. I think he was still in shock, he definitely shed tears during his vows.

Janetr okc
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    fqo0rspxm9hb.jpg

Tami (DDnL#2) and Mallory (DMOGD#4) at her dance recital.

Beautiful women!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,993 Member
    Lenora- yes it is Tom's dad..and I will see him during the week and Tom will do weekend s
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Lenora ~ Love your photos. You look great!

Penny ~ The scenery you see is fantastic. I would not be able to tolerate the cold but it is a beautiful place.

Karen in VA ~ I like your new photo!

Very quiet weekend here! I was up 3 lbs after eating Chinese food but finally got it back down. Too much salt I think.

Carol in GA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Penny: Painting a third story balcony from a ladder is a very adventurous task. My hat is off to you for your grit and courage. :star: I've heard much about Svalbard and envy Heather's visit. What town has your apartment in it? :huh:

Patsy: You live in a gorgeous area. :star:

Lisa: Thanks for your good wishes. A broken elbow is a very big ouchie in my view. This is a very tiny one. I will be back to riding asap. I hope the time off is short. :grumble: This is a much smaller injury than either of my broken wrists and I didn't let them get in my way. They were each caused by separate falls on black or hidden ice a few years apart. :ohwell: Your eating and exercise plans look great to me. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA: Thanks for the good wishes. The finger is in a splint, the black & blue color is fading & the swelling is easing a bit. I see the PA for xrays tomorrow. I see posts from RE on the news feed. She's doing well with food and exercise. No personal comments, though. I don't think she has internet service available at home and can't use her work computer for any personal communication. :ohwell: I love your new photo! You look wonderful. :bigsmile:

Allie: I am sending good thoughts your way. I am confident you have made a great decision & hope your lawyer gets a generous settlement for you. I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of you that doesn't include he who won't be named. (((hugs)))

Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Michele – I’m very proud of my kids and granddaughters. All are good-looking/pretty and smart. Taylor was the ‘Star Student’ of her class; and, sometimes ‘beats herself up’ about not doing much in the way of studying in the 9th grade, her first year of a ‘new school’ and ‘new beginnings’. Says she could have been the Valedictorian or Salutatorian of her class; but, she was trying to make friends and be involved in a ‘new’ school activities, so her Daddy or Jenn really did not pushed her. But, as she later explained, she knew that she did not have to cheat to get to being the Star Student, it was based on how well she did on the SATS. But, she was in the Honor’s Society, Captain of the cheerleader and Dance Line Squads after 4 years of being in both. She gave Madison 'what for' about her grades and by 8th grade Madison was inducted into the Honor’s Society and has been in it since. Both Emilee and Mallory are doing very well in their school as well. Mallory was 3rd pace in the entire state of Louisiana on a test given to her, much like the SATS. She won a grant for her school and about 10 others made high enough to have the most ‘winners’ for their school, it is a small Charter School.

Actually, the pictures had not been saved, only the current pictures on the camera that had already been put in individual folders were not saved; but, now I have them saved on laptop and supposedly still on the phone.

Katla – Thanks! Love the haircut, too – so easy to do. Trick is I have to ‘back comb’, 'tease', or ‘rat’ my hair to get the fullness to it. I’ve got to wash it today since we are taking the kids out to eat.

Heather – Thank you for you kind remarks. I’m very proud of my family, too.

Karen in Virginia – Thanks. I like your new avatar, so we can see what you look like, too.

Kelly – Thanks. The ‘skort’ is short; but, shorts made under it, so it is comfortable. I probably put on sandals afterwards.

Janet – One of Will’s former co-workers was 47 when he married for the first time; and, they both seem as happy as ‘newlyweds’. She was a widow and had 3 teenager girls and she had her late husband had hunted on the land his uncles owned. I’ve never seen her totally ‘made up’; but, Will says when she is she is ‘drop dead gorgeous’. So did his bride bring any children into the marriage?

Chris – I feel like a million bucks – lost that ‘elephant’s heart and looking forward to losing its ‘penis’ soon. LOL!!!!

They are my DYS’s heart … he loved Mallory as if she were his own. She couldn’t understand why her last name would not change, too, when her Mama married Will. But, she does now. She is actually my DOYGD#4. They are Trey’s 1st, Taylor 21; Trey and Jenn’s 1st, Madison 16; Mallory (Tami’s child from previous marriage) 11; then Emilee 10 (Trey and Jenn’s) baby.

Allie – I guess after 20 years, it would be difficult to walk away from a ‘family member by marriage’; my ‘ex’ sister-in-law will ALWAYS be my DSnL, and I even like her present husband a lot. He knows what he has and that is the ‘sweetest woman in the world’.

Thanks, Carol!

Penny – I agree with Carol. Beautiful scenery; but, I could not take the cold; sometimes here … it is difficult to take the heat!

Lenora
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Good morning all!

My DH is going to church without me this morning. I just feel sick and being tired of being sick and tired. My doctor said to call the office for an antibiotic if I wasn't feeling better. That's why I went last Wednesday! I guess he didn't believe me!
    I'll call tomorrow and have something sent to our pharmacy.

Penny I love your pictures of the north! Keep them coming!

Janet Your daughter and new SIL look wonderful! Congratulations to them and good wishes for a long happy marriage!

Lisa I would love to see your pictures you painted. I love art, especially western art. (horses and cowboys)

Allie I agree, you should have a third party there when you start cleaning out stuff. There could be an explosion between you and Tom. Especially if their is an argument over an item.
    When my mother was moving out of our house and into an apartment with my sister, she was grabbing stuff left and right that she gave me, like 25 years ago. I just bit my lip and her take them back. She even took a picture frame back and took our wedding picture out of it and threw it on the table!! Not a very good scene. I apologized to the movers but he said, "Don't worry, we see it all the time when there are divorces too."

Lenora I love the new do and I noticed your fireplace is very similar to ours! That is one of the reasons I liked this house so much besides the location. We are 10 west of Hot Springs and nice and quite in the woods.
    I love the blowers. It keeps the whole house warm. But I like to keep the doors open to watch the fire, so the blowers won't come on. (It has to build up enough heat for it to come on.)
    I need to clean out the ashes still. I haven't got around to that yet!!

Have a good day! I'm staying on the couch and try to get some rest!

Dana in Arkansas
    I posted a picture of the fireplace:
    nxqmpss61zan.jpg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Heather. I did fall in love with real yogurt I ate in Morocco. Haven't tried making it yet, maybe this summer. I've been adding stewed apples to my morning yogurt (Fage Greek 0%) and I absolutely feel terrific! Staying away from processed foods completely and I feel so much better. I am lucky that I don't have a sweet tooth. For me the triggers are salty, crunchy, fried things.

Lenora inspired me to get a new outfit which I will take a pic and share soon. I like the top especially but DD thinks the print on the skirt is "oldish" but my bff says, hey we are kind of oldish and it's pretty! So I am gonna stick with and not return it!!

NYKAREN
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2017
    Lenora my daughter has three children, 21, 20 and 18. This is my oldest daughter who will start testing for her CPA in August. Steve has two daughters (different mothers) and one granddaughter, Mia, of whom I have posted pictures.

Janetr okc
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    edited June 2017
    Welcome Patsy
    Dana Feel better :)
    Penny Nice potato garden and beautiful pics.

Just came in from 4 hours of working in the garden. I was out at 0630 to beat the heat as I get heat stroke quick. So I am finally done the vegetable garden, now I can sit back and relax. Just kidding, now I can weed! I love the serenity of working in my garden. I can see how much more I will do when I am retired. I will never be bored. This working full time gets in the way of my ME time lol!

Blessed Sunday to all!

<3 Sarah
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    945077n6gv373mvj.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,060 Member
    not going to the gym today, they open at 9am. going to the furry 5k with the kids in Seattle. been going to that since it started, 18th yr.....

oh yeah, morning peeps