WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Timmy, you seem like a very wise woman.

Lenora, beautiful picture, except the antlers on your head! You could hang your own shingle on how to divorce!

Lisa, precious kitty. I agree on the name, a little weird but if that's the name you immediately thought of then the name should be Egg.

Allie, I worry about him being there while you are going to rhough all the be.ongings. I wish there was a third person there.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Lenora - wonderful pictures of you, your family and Cracker.

Janet OKC - Congratulations to your daughter.

Sharon in Lethbridge - I drink green tea, oolong, black, chai, and rooibos during the day, then have a rooibos, chamomile or herbal fruit tea before bed.

Hugs everyone, take care of yourselves.

Paula Y.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Cathy, cute grandchildren. Do they live nearby?

Allie, so glad things went well. I hope it’s downhill from here. Any talk about him moving out? Stay strong and just remember all of us are with you.

Michaela, welcome. Yes, you can say this is an active group. Come often and join right in.

Lanette, puppies are such fun but yes more work than a kitten. We’ve had such great success with crate training.

Rori, thanks for the update on Kim. I do hope your DH’s health doesn’t require you to retire earlier than you want, but we do what we have to do. ((Hugs))

Paula, congrats on losing those inches. The way my clothes are fitting lately I’m afraid I may have found them. Too bad about your trip.

Sharon, the picture of the young divas is so cute!

Lisa, what a cute kitty. Egg is an interesting name.

Margaret, that was so sweet to give those things to your student. You are a very kind person. (((Hugs)))

I went to the beach today. It was an absolutely beautiful day. The sun was shining, no clouds, temperature in the mid 80’s. DH drove me and dropped me off since we were afraid I wouldn’t find a parking place. The lot was full and the beach had enough people for great people watching. I called him to come pick me up when I was ready to come home and he got there just a couple of minutes after I had reached the parking lot.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Lenora I love the pictures of you and DIL and GD. You look great! And your haircut is very pretty!

Barbie Thanks for your knowledge about being an abstainer or moderater! A new insight for me!

I have to cut this short. I feel like this virus is trying for a second round on me.
    I'm trying to keep up with you all!!

Good night!
    Dana in Arkansas
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sue and Janet – I’m not the most ‘computer savvy’ person in the world; and, when my technician saved (copied) my pictures off my smart phone, he only saved the ones ‘on the camera’ and not the ones in the file folders; so that got done today and now I can find them when I want them.

Allie – I can understand not wanting to be away from family. Hopefully, that DFIL is NOT Tom’s Dad. That could be ‘awkward’. I know you’ve said often that you’ve taken care of him or visited him. Pipe dreams are just a ‘step forward’ away; first your mind has to step forward, your heart to follow, and then your feet do the moving.

You must be a lot closer to 50 than I am. I’m 66 and if I lived where you do (I don’t like cold weather); my fanny would be in FL in a NY minute. Family would just have to come visit a lot and vice versa. My BF says that I would not need to live out here in the country if something happened to Louis; but, I too have ‘family’ next door and my grandchildren are getting older and having their own say-so about what they will or won’t do. I’d almost be willing to sell it and move (but, there again, the older I get the less I want to have to change MDs). But, I could see myself living in Natchez, MS in a nice ‘gated community’ or ‘senior living community’ or even at the beach somewhere.

Joyce – NO, I cannot hang out a ‘shingle’ as I don’t have a ‘law degree’ so I am NOT giving legal advice; just some ‘pointers’ about NOT being taken advantage of in a divorce action. And knowing what my DOS went through in his first marriage. Now, he has custody of Taylor and she is now an ‘adult’ and will graduate from college this upcoming December. I guess after that, she and her boyfriend will either get married, move, or both.

HA! HA! HA! This collection of ‘sheds’ is what Louis and Trey have found on the nearly 95 acres we have out here. Boy, it is really beautiful near the back line with a small creek and hardwoods; but, building back there would have been far more expensive than we could afford to do when we built out here. Running electricity all the way back would have been the major cost before even getting to the point of digging a well, putting in a septic tank, then having supplies delivered. But, we are still far enough off the road that someone would have to drive down our driveway more than a couple of 1000 feet before they could even see the house. I have a straight shot of view of the driveway from my chair and I can then go in our bedroom to watch anyone driving behind the house to get to the carport. That way, if I don’t recognize the car (or if I can see the person/people … I can lock myself in my bedroom and not answer the doorbell. I’m not afraid to be out here alone. I do know how to use a gun; but, hope I never have to ‘scare’ anybody off.

We down-sized a 'lot' when we built out here; but, we still have 7 rooms worth of furniture in basically a 5-room house.

Will, our youngest son out in Louisiana has enough sheds that the ones stacked in the 3rd bedroom of their ‘lake’ house (his place before he and Tami married) cover the entire top and piled up so high you can’t see the mirror on the double wide dresser; and, that doesn't count the ones in the 2nd bedroom, or the ones in their bedroom. He has them ‘numbered’ and can tell you ‘exactly’ where he found them on the 2000 acres that he manages. Some of them are ‘huge’. I take these off the mantle at Christmas to put a china manger scene up there; and, I invariably drop one or two; but, so far I have only ‘chipped’ one ‘shed’. Vet says that a ‘shed’ is the best thing you can give a dog to chew on. But, with Trey’s Luna, she and Cracker might get into it over it, so we don’t give her one. Not sure I’d want her to have it ‘in the house’ either.

Will has already told Tami that he will 'have' to have a man-cave in any house they buy or build together, she wants her home to 'not' look like a hunting lodge, even though she also hunts and fishes. Mallory shot her first turkey this past year. It was almost as big as she is and she had to carry it out of the woods. I'll post a picture of her with her turkey later.

Paula – Thanks. I try to see the small avatars people use and then wonder ‘what do they really look like’ because they are so small. I enjoy all the pictures that people post of themselves, their families, spouses, children, grandchildren, fur-babies, their hobbies and just getting to know everybody. It really is like having one big community of friends.

Y’all might end up having to support me when one of my BFs decides what she is or isn’t going to do once they finish with all the testing they are doing on her. They are sending her into a ‘funk’ because one says ‘cancer’ the other says, ‘oh, that is just what they put on the record so that insurance will pay’. Do WHAT?

Well, good night! Tonight I am going to ‘try’ to get to bed at a ‘reasonable’ hour.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ok, here is Mallory carrying the turkey she killed this last season, about as big as she is - he was a BIG gobbler). There got out there, she shot it, and they were coming out of the woods within 15 minutes. I think the funniest thing was hearing Will 'whoop it up' when she shot it and seeing him running out to grab it. Tami was video-taping it on her phone. I don't think Mallory even realized that she had actually shot it. You have 'buckshot' in the shell and you aim for its head. They have super-vision and can detect the slightest movement, too. Hooting like an owl will normal make them 'gobble'; and, when they gobble, they normal puff up and strut. Our oldest son, Trey, is a 'bigger' turkey hunter than he is a 'deer hunter'. Three of our 4 granddaughters have killed deer, only Mallory has killed a turkey also. Emilee just started going out to sit in the stand with her Daddy or Taylor. She hasn't quite gotten the hang of 'keeping her mouth shut'.

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Barbie How far do you think you walk each day? I know it takes hours. Do you have a sense of the distance?

Karen in Virginia

In May I averaged over 17,000 steps a day which is around seven miles. A lot of my walking is back and forth and around in circles with the dogs. I get some steps from line dancing but the step counter doesn't record all the steps I take when I dance.

:)Patsy, there is more than enough room for you in our friendly community. Please keep coming back.

:) I had a fabulous time at the line dance workshop. During the open dance I knew almost all the dances so didn't sit and watch much. We stopped at Olive Garden for dinner on the way home and I had a fairly small meal and brought half of it home to Jake.

<3 Barbie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Worked some more on putting down grass seed. Vince raked the ground, put down the seed, I carried rocks to the back of the property and put down the straw. Then Vince watered. We've decided that we're not going to do any more since this really isn't the time to be putting down seed, we'll see if what we've done takes before we spend any more $$$. Eucharistic Minister at church tonight.

Alison - isn't it weird how sometimes things come at just the right moment (the Dear Abbey article). Talk about timing! God is looking out.

Becca - congratulations to your son and you

Vicki - the only problem with pictures of my "yard art" is that they're spread over such a large area, it would take quite a few pictures to show them all. Guess you'll just have to come here and see them for yourself <hint hint> Try to have fun at the birthday party. Look on the bright side...it being hot out makes you not want to eat

Lenora - great haircut. You do look fantastic. I hate when I can't find a picture that I saved. What a lovely family you have. It's so good to put a face to a name. You mention them so often

janetr - congrats to your daughter and you. That "chapel" is so cute

Patsy - of course we have room for one more! Come in often and tell us all about yourself

Went to church tonight and got 2 others to trade with me for being an Eucharistic Minister the first two weekends (well, the second and third) in July. I honestly don't think I'll be needed the third, but I also wanted to go to FL to get the placq, so we shall see what happens. Came home and made a pudding pie for this lady in Newcomers who had neck/spinal fusion and can't really chew large items. Tomorrow I'll make her an egg, spinach, cheese and spinach casserole. Those are things that are easily eaten. Just now I made some "pops". Those are the ones made with Greek yogurt and orange juice concentrate.

Vince isn't planning to do any work outside tomorrow so I'll make the casserole and then go in my pool. Oh, Lenora, how I wish you were closer so we could go in together.

dana - hope you feel better

Michele in NC
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I had a great day today! DH got us to the gym before 8 am; we finished around 9:30; decided not to get into the pool; came home and bless his heart he walked with me and Blue. I had been having such a hard time getting myself to walk Blue. Hopefully DH will walk with us again tomorrow. I put together a nice brunch for us. Spent the afternoon visiting family out in the country with the convertible top down. It was lovely! Hope you had a nice day too!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: Congratulations to your whole family on the graduation of your son, Owain!!!! :heart: :star::heart:

Vicki: Thanks for your sympathy. I thought I was holding the lunge rope correctly, but things went a little sideways. It is clear to me that I shoulda - woulda - coulda done a few things differently. I'll be back at the stable in no time. I visit the bone doctor's office Monday. Swelling is already going down. :ohwell:

Sue in WA: If a can of cat food stayed on your bumper that long, you must be a very smooth driver. :bigsmile:

Lenora: I absolutely love the haircut. Very nice! :flowerforyou:

Patsy from Astoria: We always have room for a newbie. You live just down the highway from me--about 65+ miles, give or take. Welcome to a great group. Stop by often and get to know everyone. :flowerforyou:

Tere: Congratulations on a lovely day. :star:

We had a happy skype call from DS & DDIL today. They are happy and doing well. It was lovely to hear from them. I missed riding this weekend. I hope to be back in the saddle SOON. That will require good luck with the bone doctor's office. I see a Physician's Assistant Monday and expect to get x-rays done. I'm not sure when I'll see the doctor. He helped me with a previous broken bone a couple of years ago. That was a broken wrist caused by a fall on hidden ice. This is a much smaller injury. I hope it is quicker and easier to heal.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche

• clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    DJ, yes the grandkids live 15 minutes from me. I picked them up this evening and we had a great time in the pool. Madison is fearless and just laughed and giggled when she got splashed by her brother.

Cathy, Arlington, TX
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning folks, was able to nap yesterday for 2 hours then had a pretty good (for me) nite's sleep- about 6 hours before my brain just wakes me up with lots of worries/plans.

I am looking at 2 weeks of school left, with no more concerts but plenty of paperwork, communication and organizing ! I've got 3 retirement parties and just one more retirement speech :#

My good friends' final concert went very well, I manage to speak to her audience without too many tears and got in a few laughs as well. We keep looking at each other and crying so we've told each other to stop looking at at each other and tell only the funny stories for now. It's working!

Change is hard. NYKAREN
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Ooooooos I forgot to sign my post. This is Katie right before she got a summer hair cut.
    Patsy
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all,

Allie - Dreams are NOT a bad thing... and if what you want is a tiny house, then that's what you need to drive for... I'm really glad to see you thinking about a future that is what you choose it to be. But please note--your marriage did not fail. Tom failed to keep his vow to "love, honor and cherish." That said, I went through the same thing with mine... I shed a lot of tears after I left him. But I, much like you, tried everything to make it work. Neither your soon-to-be ex nor mine can say the same thing.

Penny - so glad to see you and your pictures return...

Katla - The first bone I broke was my elbow, and not from a fall... I was playing softball, and threw a ball in from the outfield so hard, I fractured my elbow. The doctor (who was a friend) told me I was an "animal," that you're not actually supposed to be able to do that. The second (and hopefully last) was my collar bone. Playing frisbee football in my mother's yard--and my nephew tackled me as I caught a "pass" and pile-drove me into the ground on my shoulder. Also blew out my knee, but didn't break it, on a trampoline... My sporting career as such, was a litany of injuries, but I never let being heavy stop me from playing. The injuries definitely put a pause on things, though. Your determination is always a pleasure to see... and hopefully, if they splint your finger well, it will make it where you can still ride as you choose.

Patsy
    - glad you're here! For whatever reason, we have a number of Oregonians on the board. Don't feel pressured to keep up with everyone. I comment on whom I can, when I can, and observe the rest. I think of us as this massive room filled with myriad conversations, and drop in on those that intrigue me--everyone gets plenty of love at one point or another, and there's always lots of happy noise.

JanetR
    - Your daughter looks beautiful, and ecstatic! Love the hair.

The gallery showing in which my paintings are entered is this coming Saturday. Corey and I are going to construct some frames this morning for three of my five, so I can take those in on Tuesday in preparation for the show. I've got another painting in progress, but it's fighting back. :) Doesn't want to cooperate, I guess. Usually means I'll hate it when I'm done. Some of the ones I'm entering in the show have a couple failed paintings that I've painted right over under the one I'm willing to show.

Egg is doing better. Less skittish each day, and more active. She's got her own little space in the half bath, and her crate for refuge. You can tell she feels safer, and is starting to come find us. Last night, she spent an hour with us on the couch, popping in and out of the "box" in the armrest, playing with my husband. Is there anything sexier than a big, strong man, with a little kitten in his arms? I don't think so.

While I love dogs, and wouldn't have minded having one, working at home means no doggies inside, so that's for the future. I really hate being on the phone with a professional colleague with dogs barking behind them (or behind me). Since most of my interactions are over the phone, no dogs for a while longer...

So pleased for myself that I worked out six days this week. Part of the advice from the Younger Next Year books is that six days, 45 minutes a day, is the baseline for turning on the right mechanisms in your brain. Still stable on the weight, but not losing--and today begins the next effort, eating right, eating well, and keeping my calories under 2,000 for one week. Then start dropping that by 100 a week until I get to consistent weight loss. When I stop losing, it's time to drop it another 100 calories... I know 2,000 sounds stupid high, but as I'm burning 400 extra calories a day, that's actually about 1,600. If I don't lose at 2,000, then it's 1,900 and so on. The more restrictions I place on myself, the more frustrated and snacky I get, so I'm trying to sneak up on myself. :blush:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas